PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 820 - Little help.

Dromen
08-29-2016, 05:14 PM
Can anyone tell me how many bikes can be setup in the 820. Garmin can't and i cant find it in google either. Thanks.

makoti
08-29-2016, 05:36 PM
Can anyone tell me how many bikes can be setup in the 820. Garmin can't and i cant find it in google either. Thanks.

If it's like the 520, you don't set up "bikes" anymore. You set up profiles like Endurance, Climbing, Race, whatever. Put what info you want for that profile in and any bike can use it.

abr5
08-29-2016, 05:38 PM
I just went through the menus on my 820, didn't see any options for selecting/adding bikes. You can add bikes on Garmin Connect and set default activities types for them, but you are limited to generic categories like Cycling, Running, Walking, etc. You can select what bike was used after a ride via Garmin Connect, but it is a bit of a pain. No stated limit on max number you can add.

Depending on what you're trying to accomplish by adding bikes, you can add different activity profiles. Each of these has their own display pages, navigation settings, auto-pause settings, etc. I have a "cyclocross" and a "road" activity profile set up so I can look at different data when riding. Doesn't say that the limit on profiles is... but I suspect more than you'd ever want.

Dromen
08-29-2016, 05:45 PM
I have 10 different bike profiles setup in my 810. No bike profile options in 820?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Dromen
08-29-2016, 05:46 PM
I have activity profiles also in my 810.

R3awak3n
08-29-2016, 07:24 PM
no bike profiles on the 820 pretty sure, its just like the 1000. Its all about modes (training, touring, indoor, ect). Its kind of better but sometimes i do miss the bike profiles

Kentf14
08-29-2016, 11:21 PM
What I can't figure out is by having separate sensors for each of my bikes setup and available will the 820 just keep looking for them even though it's found say a speed/cadence sensor?
I don't want the thing to waste battery by searching for sensors from my other bikes.

R3awak3n
08-29-2016, 11:30 PM
Yeah it will, it's a bit annoying but depending on the bike I manually turn off sensors since I have a different cadence sensor.

buckfifty
08-29-2016, 11:37 PM
if it's like the 1000, it will automatically connect to the sensors that "wake up" from the pool of recognized sensors

makoti
08-30-2016, 07:45 AM
if it's like the 1000, it will automatically connect to the sensors that "wake up" from the pool of recognized sensors

My 520 has a problem with that, or mine tend to sleep lightly. It will often choose the wrong PM. No problem finding other sensors correctly, but the PM is often the last one I used regardless of which one it was. Which is odd, because it still goes through the entire searching process.
But, you are correct. In theory, that's what the 520/820/1000 do.

Dromen
08-30-2016, 09:03 AM
Does it calculate odometer readings for bikes somehow(components, tires, etc)?

SoCalSteve
08-30-2016, 09:53 AM
I have 10 different bike profiles setup in my 810. No bike profile options in 820?

I have 4 on my 1000. Go to settings, activities and then set up bikes as you wish. You can name them, etc. I have a feeling the 820 has very similar software.

Dromen
08-30-2016, 09:56 AM
Steve,
Thanks. Do you know the capacity?

SoCalSteve
08-30-2016, 10:56 AM
Steve,
Thanks. Do you know the capacity?

I don't, but it would be really easy to figure it out. Just keep hitting the + sign to add bike profiles. When it says no more can be added, then you know. Probably a stupid way to figure it out, but if you can't find the answer anywhere else...

There is Garmin Technical.they are usually pretty helpful.

Dromen
08-30-2016, 11:04 AM
Topic has been beatin to a pulp. Thanks for info. Garmin no help. 3 day promise on response. 9 days and counting.

SoCalSteve
08-30-2016, 02:48 PM
Topic has been beatin to a pulp. Thanks for info. Garmin no help. 3 day promise on response. 9 days and counting.

I did exactly as I wrote in my last posting and it stopped at 10 bike profiles. I have the Edge 1000 with the latest software.

I cannot imagine it is any different on the 820.

abr5
08-30-2016, 04:44 PM
I did exactly as I wrote in my last posting and it stopped at 10 bike profiles. I have the Edge 1000 with the latest software.

I cannot imagine it is any different on the 820.

There are no bike profiles on the 820. I just checked, you can add 10 activity profiles, but there aren't bike profiles. You can use Garmin Connect for tracking bike/tire/sock mileage (or strava like everyone else), but you can't do it just with the 820.

SoCalSteve
08-30-2016, 04:56 PM
There are no bike profiles on the 820. I just checked, you can add 10 activity profiles, but there aren't bike profiles. You can use Garmin Connect for tracking bike/tire/sock mileage (or strava like everyone else), but you can't do it just with the 820.

Sorry for the wrong nomenclature. Activity profiles ARE the same as bike profiles.

Add an Activity
Name it your bike
Personalize the fields, colors, etc the way you want for this bike

Now you have a " bike profile"

Go to Totals in History and you can see each bike profile, mileage, etc.

Enjoy!

R3awak3n
08-30-2016, 05:54 PM
Sorry for the wrong nomenclature. Activity profiles ARE the same as bike profiles.

Add an Activity
Name it your bike
Personalize the fields, colors, etc the way you want for this bike

Now you have a " bike profile"

Go to Totals in History and you can see each bike profile, mileage, etc.

Enjoy!

although that is true, it does not work when it comes to sensors.

sensors is not per profile, they are in settings.

SoCalSteve
08-30-2016, 06:10 PM
although that is true, it does not work when it comes to sensors.

sensors is not per profile, they are in settings.

True, but a non issue. Once a sensor is set up, it will be picked up when it is awoken. Unless you are moving many bikes around at once, it will only pick up the sensors that are on that bike that are in its memory. Doesn't matter that they are not attached to a specific bike.

And, you can name each sensor anyway. So, in essence, they are attached to a specific bike. Unless it's a hrm, then you just name it as such. Easy peasy, logical and simple. It just works.

simonov
08-31-2016, 04:36 AM
If your Garmin 520/820 is picking up sensors from the wrong bike you should just wait to turn it on until you roll the bike away from the others. Doesn't have to be too far, just out of the garage or where you keep your bikes should do it. The unit searching for other sensors doesn't impact the battery in any meaningful way either. Personally I find the sensor pool concept to be much better than bike profiles. Especially since I like to swap wheels around. No matter the bike setup the garmin picks up the sensors I'm using and I no longer have the issue of starting a ride without changing the profile from the last time and having none of the sensors recognized. Activity profiles are more about setting up how you'd like your screens, which you may want to do by bike but more likely would want to do by ride type.

Dromen
09-01-2016, 08:52 AM
Garmin "offcial" response(what SCS said):

The Edge 820 doesn't have bike profiles per say, it has activity profiles. Activity profiles allow you to set up different settings like data fields, GPS connection, etc and you can use them as bike profiles but there isn't a way to enter in bike weight for example. *

For activity profiles I don't believe there is a set limit. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you. *

SoCalSteve
09-01-2016, 10:31 AM
Garmin "offcial" response(what SCS said):

The Edge 820 doesn't have bike profiles per say, it has activity profiles. Activity profiles allow you to set up different settings like data fields, GPS connection, etc and you can use them as bike profiles but there isn't a way to enter in bike weight for example. *

For activity profiles I don't believe there is a set limit. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you. *

That is really scary! They don't even know the limits of their products??? It's 10 on the 1000. It wouldn't let me add any more.

Dromen
09-01-2016, 03:08 PM
Scary yes. Surprising no.