PDA

View Full Version : Brifter hoods: replacement

Samster
07-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Question:

Can you replace Campy brifter hoods (Record/Chorus) without dismounting them from the handlebar?

I'm trying to replace mine and am having a hard time getting the old ones off, haven't even gotten as far as putting the new ones on...

Thanks in advance.

Dave
07-11-2006, 06:01 PM
No need to remove the lever. It's just like pulling the shirt off your back. Start at the back and pull the hood, toward the front. The tough part is going over the knob on the top, just like it's tough getting the shirt over your head. Use some rubbing alcohol to make the hood slippery, so it comes off easier.

Installation is just the opposite. The hood goes over the end of the brake lever and up over the knobby top. Alcohol for lube is a must. Stretching the hood around the thumb lever seems extreme, but I've never torn one yet.

Bill Bove
07-11-2006, 08:24 PM
I usually use hair spray to lube them, it goes on wet and slippery but dries sticky :rolleyes:

Samster
07-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks... I was worried about ripping them (weren't cheap!)...

No need to remove the lever. It's just like pulling the shirt off your back. Start at the back and pull the hood, toward the front. The tough part is going over the knob on the top, just like it's tough getting the shirt over your head. Use some rubbing alcohol to make the hood slippery, so it comes off easier.

Installation is just the opposite. The hood goes over the end of the brake lever and up over the knobby top. Alcohol for lube is a must. Stretching the hood around the thumb lever seems extreme, but I've never torn one yet.

kestrel
07-11-2006, 09:17 PM
I usually use hair spray to lube them, it goes on wet and slippery but dries sticky :rolleyes:

+1 on the hairspray...

saab2000
07-11-2006, 09:22 PM
+2

When I was wrenching the best way to get grips on mountain bikes was hair spray, or compressed air. I liked the air better, but it is not an option on the brifters.

swoop
07-11-2006, 10:56 PM
soapy water.

Proxy
07-11-2006, 11:40 PM