PDA

View Full Version : We are officially in the Fall, how are things going?

weisan
08-29-2016, 06:11 AM
We are in the Fall. Care to share with us what are some of your upcoming events or plans? How's riding for you this year so far? Did you learn anything new? What's your latest acquisitions? Any change in your setup, training program, diet? Notable results or met goals?

As a community, we would like to encourage, support and congratulate any of your goals or accomplishments.

Let's hear it.

tigoat
08-29-2016, 06:28 AM
Nothing unusual here, just finished another back-to-back century this weekend. It has been pretty hot here but I wouldn't complain too much as the cool weather will be here before we know it. What more could be asked for with a typical great cycling life?

livingminimal
08-29-2016, 06:30 AM
Unfortunately will not have my new cross bike in time for most of the racing this season (which, frankly, due to injury and laziness I have no been training for) so that is mostly out...

...which means I have started training for Almanzo next May already. Base miles and trying to lose 25lbs.

biker72
08-29-2016, 06:34 AM
For 21 of the last 22 weeks I've recorded 100+ miles per week. I didn't ride this much when I was 50...:)

avalonracing
08-29-2016, 06:38 AM
As far as I'm concerned we aren't in the Fall until we have a full day that doesn't a 9, 8 (or1!) as the first number of the temperature.

stephenmarklay
08-29-2016, 06:41 AM
After not really riding much I have only missed 3 days since July 1st. Average ride is about 50 miles. With most between 45 and 65. Its not really “training” but I have become more durable for sure. The first month was tough going some days but my legs got used to it.

I am looking forward to structured training over the winter and doing some gran fondo rides and working up to more competitive kinds of rides.

Netdewt
08-29-2016, 06:49 AM
Yeah this is not fall... nearly a month of summer left. Fall starts September 22 this year.

I've had a horrible cycling summer. I bought a boat this year and that has taken most of my attention. I'm hoping to get some cycling in before the snow falls, and of course I am contemplating winter cycling again.

AngryScientist
08-29-2016, 06:54 AM
life is good.

i ride my bike a bit, but not a ton. I feel like i'm in pretty good "well rounded" fitness this year. my cycling specific fitness is not spectacular, but overall i'm at my target weight, and feeling good. just got back from a weekend at the jersey shore swimming and paddle boarding all weekend. didnt even look at a bicycle.

guido
08-29-2016, 06:54 AM
Slowly but surely getting back on track since my hip/knee decided to complicate things since May. I have been trying to get my base built back up and get some good rides in this fall (my favorite time of year!) I'm also picking up the intensity in the gym.

My goals are to knock some time off my PR for the local club metric in two weeks and do a fast statute century in October.

Dave B
08-29-2016, 06:58 AM
I have had the best summer ever regarding cycling as well as many other things. I have gotten back into cycling hard and not just buying bikes. Was on the bike almost every day this summer or every day I was able to. Lost 25 pounds, changed my eating, beginning to see weight loss (wife loves it) and just was able to head down and meet up with another PL member Tom aka "tombtfslpk" to swap the fat bike for a cross bike.

Had a blast meeting u and tossed in the first night my wife and I have have both spent away from our 4 year old since he was born. Yes we had an absolute blast!

Some cross races this fall are on order and looking forward to having fun on the bike again and not taking it too seriously.

Couldn't be happier to be where i am at. Looking to get a proper fit from a great shop near me. Started developing a bit of knee pain in the my right knee, so maybe we can get that sorted out.

woohoo

Dave

MattTuck
08-29-2016, 07:12 AM
Summer has been a bit of good and bad so far. Riding has been good. My plans to race were messed up when the organizers cancelled the race I was training for. Now I'm training for a personal TT. Sort of an open roads personal hour record attempt.

Also, trying to figure out if I should adjust my mileage goal for the year. If things continue to go as they have been, I think I'll hit 4,000. Debating whether I should up it to 4,444 -- just for a bit more motivation to get out and ride. I find that as the season wears on, the weather plays a bigger and bigger part in how much I ride. I don't mind the cold down to about 30, but I really dislike riding when it is wet AND cold. So, depending on what the weather brings, that can sometimes mean I lose entire weeks of riding in late October and November.

Gsinill
08-29-2016, 07:15 AM
As far as I'm concerned we aren't in the Fall until we have a full day that doesn't a 9, 8 (or1!) as the first number of the temperature.

+1
Can't wait until the dreaded hot an muggy days are over.
Summers in Chicago usually suck IMHO.

oldpotatoe
08-29-2016, 07:22 AM
I have had the best summer ever regarding cycling as well as many other things. I have gotten back into cycling hard and not just buying bikes. Was on the bike almost every day this summer or every day I was able to. Lost 25 pounds, changed my eating, beginning to see weight loss (wife loves it) and just was able to head down and meet up with another PL member Tom aka "tombtfslpk" to swap the fat bike for a cross bike.

Had a blast meeting u and tossed in the first night my wife and I have have both spent away from our 4 year old since he was born. Yes we had an absolute blast!

Some cross races this fall are on order and looking forward to having fun on the bike again and not taking it too seriously.

Couldn't be happier to be where i am at. Looking to get a proper fit from a great shop near me. Started developing a bit of knee pain in the my right knee, so maybe we can get that sorted out.

woohoo

Dave

Best, worst and toughest job there is, being a parent. Read 'All joy and no fun', Jennifer Senior..great for grand parents too.

BUT grand kids in school plus dad's sked loosened up some so rode more than I have for about 5 years. See 'heavy' bike thread..did some rides haven't for those 5 years, mostly uphill, and not as hard as I remember..

Built a bunch of wheels(keep my mind right), seeing the grand kids growing up healthy, happy and fairly normal(;))..as normal as a 5 and 3 year old are...and rode the MXLeader and Moots..no complaints but still high 80s, low 90s..beautiful and dry days. Didn't see the wind that seemed to be so common last year either. Hate wind. Would rather ride in the rain.

No complaints..glad I'm not in retail..

FlashUNC
08-29-2016, 07:26 AM
Odd calendar where summer is over before Labor Day.

weisan
08-29-2016, 07:29 AM
I am REALLY sorry for messing up with the calendar. My bad. You are right, the official start for Fall is Sept. 22.

HOWEVER.....

I appreciate pals who have looked past my small little blunder and continues to contribute...that say something about you which is really nice. :D

christian
08-29-2016, 07:31 AM
It was a good summer until two weeks ago. Lots and lots of time on the mtb. Only about 20 hours total on the road bikes, but the rides were nice. Then I broke my leg... The last two weeks have been pretty lousy.

bobswire
08-29-2016, 07:39 AM
For me, life is a bicycle.
Almost purchased this t shirt, I said almost. Why give them a warning. :)

http://i64.tinypic.com/20krtb4.jpg

bobswire
08-29-2016, 07:40 AM
It was a good summer until two weeks ago. Lots and lots of time on the mtb. Only about 20 hours total on the road bikes, but the rides were nice. Then I broke my leg... The last two weeks have been pretty lousy.

Aw man,that's the ****s. Heal well.

spoonrobot
08-29-2016, 07:44 AM
Officially in fall? It's not fall until the Autumnal Equinox, Sept. 22nd this year.

superbowlpats
08-29-2016, 07:59 AM
CX season is almost upon us (well it has unofficially started but still a bit early to be racing imho). So a few of us get together and build a little course with barriers (pvc pipe) and driveway snow markers. we even have a nice run up into the woods. :hello:

christian
08-29-2016, 08:46 AM
Aw man,that's the ****s. Heal well.

Thanks. I can WFH or have my coworker drive me to work, so it's not that bad for "real life" but I am basically losing my mind because I can't ride. LOL.

ripvanrando
08-29-2016, 08:57 AM
I met none of my cycling goals this year but I had gone thru about five months of recovery from over-training. I'm good now. Crushing ever personal best every time I try. I chopped 44 seconds off my 5 minute interval hill climb time the other day. Crazy. 5 minute power is up 15% from earlier in the year and 10% better than last year and about 30% better than when I was sick. I feel great but am a bit fat.

I had three simple unfilled goals (thus far)

1. Complete a full Super Randonneur (SR) series with each taking less than 60% of the allowed time. I did not do a 600Km but did the others. I could still achieve this

2. Place in one 55+ Masters circuit, rr, or crit. I did not race because my over training recovery had me doing no hard efforts. I just rode easy all spring

3. Do a 40 km TT in 58:xx time (a bit of a stretch depending on aerodynamics but sub 1 hour should have been doable on my kinda meagre 273 W). There was a family birthday party for a 3 year old that took precedence over my TT and did not race.

I did complete the Transam bike race despite tons of problems during the event and mere completion is a success but the event was not one of my goals. I haven't kept real close track of mileage but I am well over 9,000 and probably closer to 10,000 for the year.

weisan
08-29-2016, 09:00 AM
I am basically losing my mind because I can't ride. LOL.

We can understand, especially men.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XjUFYxSxDk

Christian pal, sorry you are having such a hard time, we missed you at D2R2 this year.

sandyrs
08-29-2016, 09:06 AM
Summer has been a mixed bag cycling-wise. I've been riding plenty (with a nice amount in wonderful Western MA), but moving at the end of July and constant weekend plans for three weddings and the associated pre-wedding events have meant that while I can ride plenty on weekends, I didn't really have any flexibility to race. No road races, one mtb race and one "endurance cx" race made up the entirety of my racing. I've done a couple gravel/fondo type rides (Grand Fundo, D2R2, Vermont Overland [technically a race but an open one so I had no chance of being competitive]) and those have been fun enough but at this point I'm just itching for cyclocross season to start. I should be able to do 15-20 races.

I've also been taking a framebuilding class, which has been a blast. I'm hoping to get my frame finished and powder coated in time for winter.

weisan
08-29-2016, 09:09 AM
I met none of my cycling goals this year but I had gone thru about five months of recovery from over-training. I'm good now. Crushing ever personal best every time I try. I chopped 44 seconds off my 5 minute interval hill climb time the other day. Crazy. 5 minute power is up 15% from earlier in the year and 10% better than last year and about 30% better than when I was sick. I feel great but am a bit fat.

I had three simple unfilled goals (thus far)

1. Complete a full Super Randonneur (SR) series with each taking less than 60% of the allowed time. I did not do a 600Km but did the others. I could still achieve this

2. Place in one 55+ Masters circuit, rr, or crit. I did not race because my over training recovery had me doing no hard efforts. I just rode easy all spring

3. Do a 40 km TT in 58:xx time (a bit of a stretch depending on aerodynamics but sub 1 hour should have been doable on my kinda meagre 273 W). There was a family birthday party for a 3 year old that took precedence over my TT and did not race.

I did complete the Transam bike race despite tons of problems during the event and mere completion is a success but the event was not one of my goals. I haven't kept real close track of mileage but I am well over 9,000 and probably closer to 10,000 for the year.

Rando pal, I would be interested in hearing more about how you might incorporate recovery more into your training now based on you have gone through.

weisan
08-29-2016, 09:14 AM
I've also been taking a framebuilding class, which has been a blast. I'm hoping to get my frame finished and powder coated in time for winter.

Love to see it when it's done, Sandy pal!

weisan
08-29-2016, 10:17 AM
Thanks to those who already chimed in, appreciate your participation.

There are a couple of things notable for me this year so far...

1) 2016 Acquisitions: Serotta CXII and Eddy Merckx MX Leader

I got the serotta from cmbicycles pal on this forum. It's almost a miracle to be able to find another carbon copy of my custom, without saying it fits me like a glove AND it rides splendidly. This not only brought a Serotta back into my stable (used to own a Legend Ti, Atlanta, TG and Hors Categorie) but I have since "elevated" it to become my primary bike #1. Thanks again cmbicycles pal!

http://alicehui.com/bike/cx/cx.jpg

The MXL came about from a PSA posted by a pal here and it happened to be local so I get to see it in person before I buy. The gentleman already had another MXL, but he liked it so much that he ordered another one from the Netherland, and decided later that one is enough so I got it for 350 bucks! :hello: This also fits me ok, not great, but good enough that I have no qualms about taking it out for my group ride and do like 50-60 miles. This satisfied my lugged steel lust and on top of that, again, it rides really...and I mean, really well - and I am not sayin' it just because it's made by cycling god Eddy.
http://alicehui.com/bike/mxl/complete.jpg

2) Riding with Joby.

I found a new riding buddy this year. His name is Joby. We are about equal in terms of cycling fitness but because of the medical issues I had this year, sometimes I was not able to give my all during our training rides but Joby is very understanding and he accommodates me. We don't go out and kill ourselves every time, some rides are chilled and we just want to get the saddle time in. It was really nice to be able to have a cycling buddy. It has made me a better rider this year, thank you Joby pal/

http://alicehui.com/pic/joby.jpg

3) D2R2!!!
This is the signature event for me ths year. I mean, it was the ONLY event I was able to take time and go. The last time I did this ride was in 2013. Other than thanking my family for letting me leave town for almost a week, I also have to thank BumbleBeeDave. He took pity on me and let me stay with him at his house, took me over to Deerfield earlier on Friday so I can do my volunteer thing, cleaned and get our tent ready for camping, brought me over to the HUB to ride around Brent Lake area, gave me directions to Saratoga Springs and spent a nice day there....thank you Dave pal!
Of course, not forgetting the great time I had in meeting other forum pals!

http://alicehui.com/pics/D2R2_2016/pals/IMG_5815%20(3).jpg

tuscanyswe
08-29-2016, 10:19 AM

What, thats sux!! Sorry to hear that. How did it happen and whats your down time approx?

fiamme red
08-29-2016, 10:23 AM
It was a good summer until two weeks ago. Lots and lots of time on the mtb. Only about 20 hours total on the road bikes, but the rides were nice. Then I broke my leg... The last two weeks have been pretty lousy.Sorry to hear that. Heal quickly!

ripvanrando
08-29-2016, 10:58 AM
Rando pal, I would be interested in hearing more about how you might incorporate recovery more into your training now based on you have gone through.

I don't know if this helps but here goes....

Elimination of useless tempo rides is my panacea. Long tempo rides (5-8+ hours) is probably more helpful for a younger endurance rider but they add too much fatigue and no real benefit for me. I left my coach and I went back to using a polarized training approach, which works really well for me. I place importance on somewhat large Z2 volume with some high intensity work. The body (rear end, core, neck, etc) needs saddle time to be able to do really long endurance events but I try to limit too much endocrine stress on long training rides by keeping the power down. In January I did a 6 ish hour 200k on a Saturday and a 11 ish hour 300K on Sunday followed by a pretty fast 400K a few weeks later with tempo work mixed in throughout the month. The perceived efforts were much harder than they should have been. This was part of a loading up to create a peak but it pushed me over the top and down into the toilet. During a several month leadup to this point, my power levels were going down and I think fatigue from too much tempo work was the cause in conjunction with cutting back my "normal" interval sessions and one special factor. I was having a harder and harder time doing my assigned workouts. I was getting weaker and weaker over several months until there was nothing. I took recovery weeks. I listened to my coach and communicated to him. I think my age and complexity of life make training at a high level very challenging for me. I kept getting respiratory infections that started with a bout of hypothermia. I went to the Doctor several times for breathing problems. Taking a week off or even two weeks did not help with a weird fatigue. I also had pretty severe hypothermia during a 24 hour race last Fall that seemed to be the beginning of my decline and the long tempo rides would just ruin me and part of that was that they were too much. Seiler calls them the black hole and I agree.

-holiday76
08-29-2016, 10:59 AM
i'm excited to watch some CX races.

weisan
08-29-2016, 11:01 AM
I don't know if this helps but here goes....

Elimination of useless tempo rides is my panacea. Long tempo rides (5-8+ hours) is probably more helpful for a younger endurance rider but they add too much fatigue and no real benefit for me. I left my coach and I went back to using a polarized training approach, which works really well for me. I place importance on somewhat large Z2 volume with some high intensity work. The body (rear end, core, neck, etc) needs saddle time to be able to do really long endurance events but I try to limit too much endocrine stress on long training rides by keeping the power down. In January I did a 6 ish hour 200k on a Saturday and a 11 ish hour 300K on Sunday followed by a pretty fast 400K a few weeks later with tempo work mixed in throughout the month. The perceived efforts were much harder than they should have been. This was part of a loading up to create a peak but it pushed me over the top and down into the toilet. During a several month leadup to this point, my power levels were going down and I think fatigue from too much tempo work was the cause in conjunction with cutting back my "normal" interval sessions and one special factor. I was having a harder and harder time doing my assigned workouts. I was getting weaker and weaker over several months until there was nothing. I took recovery weeks. I listened to my coach and communicated to him. I think my age and complexity of life make training at a high level very challenging for me. I kept getting respiratory infections that started with a bout of hypothermia. I went to the Doctor several times for breathing problems. Taking a week off or even two weeks did not help with a weird fatigue. I also had pretty severe hypothermia during a 24 hour race last Fall that seemed to be the beginning of my decline and the long tempo rides would just ruin me and part of that was that they were too much. Seiler calls them the black hole and I agree.

Wow! Thank you for sharing the cautionary tales!
How old are you, may I ask?

deechee
08-29-2016, 11:04 AM
Best, worst and toughest job there is, being a parent. Read 'All joy and no fun', Jennifer Senior..great for grand parents too.

I never got a chance to thank you oldpotatoe for the book recommendation. I think I may have stopped reading when the author started talking about teens, but I really appreciated reading about the changes in society and how parents are coping these days. My wife and I go through the same problems and its really tough some days.

That said, today is an amazing day. I had a great weekend with my wife and 7 month old son, and I was able to get up early feeling half decent and managed some hard efforts at close to my guess-timated FTP since I've barely ridden this summer. I also ran into a friend who's been having a stellar year with a 9h5min IM and is getting ready for Hawaii. I'm looking forward to training through the winter to have a great summer next year.

ripvanrando
08-29-2016, 11:04 AM
Wow! Thank you for sharing the cautionary tales!
How old are you, may I ask?

Almost 58.

I'm back and crushing it (for me anyway)

cmbicycles
08-29-2016, 11:18 AM
Thanks to those who already chimed in, appreciate your participation.

There are a couple of things notable for me this year so far...

http://alicehui.com/bike/cx/cx.jpg

Glad you are enjoying it. I originally got that from another paceliner intending to get into tri races, but timing didn't work. I have enjoyed seeing your enjoyment of the bike. I did get another tri bike on the forum that fits better, so dialing in my position & setting my sights on next season. Now at the end of summer it is at least leaving behind the heat/humidity enough to really enjoy riding... and put up with running ;)

christian
08-29-2016, 11:46 AM
What, thats sux!! Sorry to hear that. How did it happen and whats your down time approx?

Fell on the mountain bike. It was just a little low-side, but my foot got caught in the dirt as I went down and twisted 90d out. Snapped the fibula. In a cast or soft boot for 6-8 weeks, according to the doctor.

ojingoh
08-29-2016, 12:02 PM
Basically haven't ridden all summer, that's not an exaggeration. A confluence of Achilles heel tendonosis, astronomy and work conspired. Mostly the tendonosis, my tendon was messed up real bad.

So. I have about 7 weeks of awesome weather then the suck begins. Excited!

benb
08-29-2016, 12:20 PM
I've had a pretty good summer. I just ticked over 3k miles this past week for the year, that's very good for me considering I work full time and have a kid.

I built up for B2VT (133 miles) all spring. I am pretty good at burning myself out by the summer. I didn't really do that this spring but I was still pretty mentally fatigued from so much road riding early in the year. Most of June/July/August I kept it to shorter rides and much more MTB focus. Mileage wise I think I only did about 500 miles since mid June, but in terms of hours I've been riding plenty (averaging 5 days a week) but the mileage is down due to MTB speeds being so much lower. I've rode more dirt this year than I have in many years. Made some big strides on some of the MTB technical stuff. Because I had done so much regimented training I really backed off the last few months on that although generally still pretty intelligent. Just reduced volume to let my wife have more time for her own fitness and more family stuff.

I did a 3 hour mostly road ride last week, that was my longest ride since June 18th I think when I did a century (I've done 6 rides that were 80+ miles this year and 3 that were 100+, again extremely good for me). I usually MTB a lot in the fall but I'm looking forward to some cooler weather for long road rides too. We've had a VERY hot summer here and anything over 50 miles out on the road in the sun loses a lot of appeal for me when the temp starts pushing 90 degrees.

I am contemplating doing a cross or XCO race this fall. Still kind of trying to find something that is convenient for the family calendar. My wife and I are taking our first weekend away by ourselves since our son was born (he'll be 4 in November) in October and we're going up to the White Mountains in NH and bringing our MTBs, I am really looking forward to that. Definitely looking forward to cool weather in general.

I gotta get out for a group ride soon, last one was mid june. I did pretty well at getting out with others in the spring. Sometimes the group ride scene is a big turnoff these days since I have a family, lots of very self indulgent people with few responsibilities (kids) that make me pretty envious of their vast free time and money, but it still is a lot of fun to be out with other riders.

Lewis Moon
08-29-2016, 12:21 PM
I've been good this year. Today I hit 6000 for the year and I'm hoping to end up with 9000 by Dec 31, but my first race is in the third week of January so I'll start doing intervals and specific sprint training Dec 1. My racing age is 60 this year so I'm hoping to do well in my new category.
I still need to lose ~10 lbs.

Fall doesn't start around here until around October 15th. Really.
On average, that's the time when the daily high goes below 90.

Matt-H
08-29-2016, 03:06 PM
Just passed 4k yesterday. More miles than several of the past years and feeling good! And, my annual Colorado mtb trip is just around the corner...

coffeecake
08-29-2016, 03:22 PM
This was a pretty good summer. Just hit 400 hrs/7200 mi.

I think I had 28 race starts, including TT/Crit/RR. The best result was a 2nd place in a stage of the Tour of America's Dairyland 2/3 category. I am 1/3 of the way to my Cat 1.

Now it's time to do long fall weekend rides and start hashing out the plan for next year. Maintaining the sharp edge of fitness was really breaking me down mentally, so now I can chill and back off of the intervals/structure.

tuscanyswe
08-29-2016, 03:52 PM
Fell on the mountain bike. It was just a little low-side, but my foot got caught in the dirt as I went down and twisted 90d out. Snapped the fibula. In a cast or soft boot for 6-8 weeks, according to the doctor.

Ouch sounds really nasty. How bad does the pain get doing something like that? Im picturing Brolins leg injury here btw.
6-8 weeks aint that terrible under the circumstances, i would have guessed more. Thinking its a slow process even when you are out of the boot but keep the spirit up m you will be back in the saddle in no time!

Hope you have the best of recoveries!

livingminimal
08-29-2016, 03:55 PM

6-8 weeks is pretty good. I did the same injury skateboarding in the summer of 2001. I was toast for four months.

shovelhd
08-29-2016, 06:27 PM
Heal up, Christian.

I've got the NCC Bikefest coming up, plus the final hammer ride post party. Other than that, enjoy riding and officiate as many CX races as I can.

MaraudingWalrus
08-29-2016, 06:43 PM
I haven't really gotten out for a real ride in maybe two months. It's been so damn hot and oppressively humid here.

Been fiddling with bits, and having a good time building some wheels.

Taking some classes again and building up a commuter to get there. Soon as the weather breaks even a bit, that'll be my daily ride there.

saab2000
08-29-2016, 06:53 PM
It's 86ºF here in the Twin Cities. Doesn't feel quite like fall yet.

The best part of the shortening days though is that since I don't have A/C in my apartment I'm finally able to get some sleep as it cools off a tad bit earlier in the evenings.

gomango
08-29-2016, 07:07 PM
Today was our first day back to work in three months.

My wife and I are both teachers, so this time of the year is always bittersweet at our house.

So, in the last two weeks we finished up two major rides. One was a round trip from St. Paul to Duluth and back with several couples. Incredible times!

Our big ride was from the family cabin in Ely to our house in St. Paul with most of it on gravel and country roads.

250+ miles. Got lucky at the end. We were three miles from home when my chain dropped a pin. Too much silt, mud and sand. Cassette is nasty as well.

Walked the three. Refused to call for support.

We love fall in the Twin Cities though. Cool temps, fall soccer and a major ride every weekend. :)

gasman
08-29-2016, 07:20 PM

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope you heal up well. Adapt what you can do by going to the gym to help keep from going crazy.

Johnnyg
08-29-2016, 07:24 PM
Rode D2R2 two week ago and finished The Vermont Overland Grand Prix yesterday and still in one piece. On track for another 9,000 mile year. I am staying healthy which is every thing. Have the Kearsarge Classic on Sept 10, another dirt epic in NH and The Great River Century in early October before heading to Florida. Life is good. Cheers

fiamme red
09-08-2016, 07:39 PM
81°F temperature and 71°F dewpoint now in NYC at 8:40 p.m. Who said it's fall? :rolleyes:

jlwdm
09-08-2016, 08:53 PM

Who said it's fall? :rolleyes:

Weisan - he lives in his own universe with his own rules (and seasons).

Jeff

weisan
09-09-2016, 05:10 AM
Weisan - he lives in his own universe with his own rules (and seasons).

Jeff

Guilty as charged. :D

http://emanuellevy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/patton_2.png

P.S. Had a brain fart that day and forgot my meds for low testosterone...

sparky33
09-10-2016, 07:34 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160911/335b01181e25c9981000d95e814dd452.jpg
I just clocked a year on the bionic hip. These last few months mark the first period in years where I feel whole again, with normal activity, minimal pain and building strength (my quads sorta match again!).
It's a bit of challenge reestablishing a healthy equilibrium, but I'm starting to see numbers on the bike I haven't seen in a while and getting back to enjoying cycling on my terms. D2R2 was never more gratifying. My first cross race in 2 years is tomorrow morning and I'm stoked.

weisan
09-10-2016, 07:53 PM
Way to go, Steve pal!

shovelhd
09-10-2016, 08:50 PM
Riverfront or Quad CX? I'm the CR in Hartford. Your story is inspiring.

sparky33
09-12-2016, 08:21 AM
Riverfront or Quad CX? I'm the CR in Hartford. Your story is inspiring.
Thanks. QuadCX 5 race.

Well, cyclocross is still hard.
My old points gave me a front row start, but a stick jammed into my derailleur in the forth turn of the race. It happens. After stopping to clear the mess, I spent the rest of the race working back through the ranks. I like this situation in racing, putting in efforts to catch riders and then looking for the door to make the pass - that was fun. In all I finished in the top 25% which was fine for a first race back. The left leg is a bit sore from the effort but generally alright. Will spend some quality time with the foam roller as I get ready for the next race in a couple weeks.

Seramount
09-12-2016, 09:37 AM
sounds like I'm not the only walking wounded around here.

thanks to a charming hit/run driver who broke my shoulder, there will be no more riding this summer OR fall.

what's really frustrating is I just retired on Sept 1 and the weather here is simply STELLAR now...

had envisioned leisurely days filled with long rides and setting a PR for annual mileage, but am now spending most of my time at the pool doing laps with a kickboard.

oh well, it's not the end of the world, just a temp setback.

juanj
09-12-2016, 10:00 AM
sounds like I'm not the only walking wounded around here.

thanks to a charming hit/run driver who broke my shoulder, there will be no more riding this summer OR fall.

what's really frustrating is I just retired on Sept 1 and the weather here is simply STELLAR now...

had envisioned leisurely days filled with long rides and setting a PR for annual mileage, but am now spending most of my time at the pool doing laps with a kickboard.

oh well, it's not the end of the world, just a temp setback.

I am so sorry to hear this--when and where did this happen? I hope you have quick recovery, may all your swim laps be at the cool waters of Deep Eddy.

superbowlpats
09-12-2016, 10:11 AM
Thanks. QuadCX 5 race.

Well, cyclocross is still hard.
My old points gave me a front row start, but a stick jammed into my derailleur in the forth turn of the race. It happens. After stopping to clear the mess, I spent the rest of the race working back through the ranks. I like this situation in racing, putting in efforts to catch riders and then looking for the door to make the pass - that was fun. In all I finished in the top 25% which was fine for a first race back. The left leg is a bit sore from the effort but generally alright. Will spend some quality time with the foam roller as I get ready for the next race in a couple weeks.

Good for you!! I did that race also but CAT 4 35+. Fun race and great start to the CX season!:banana:

benb
09-12-2016, 10:32 AM
I had originally thought maybe I'd do a MTB or cross race this fall but I'm really feeling an early start to cross training and weight training, etc.. this year.

I was on pace to ride 5k miles this year, I may drop that down to 4k. I missed my winter weight training for 2014-2015 due to a hand injury and then last winter I mostly rode right through the winter. (I have rode > 5k miles in the last 12 months right now I think.) I'm kind of frustrated at the loss of leg and particularly upper body strength, etc...

Last week was a normally scheduled rest week anyway.. I hit the weights 2x last week. Even with super low weights I managed to irritate my right knee doing squats.. I really need some work there. And meanwhile almost any gym work almost instantly makes my arms & back start feeling way better and my posture improves overnight. Time for something else other than endless cycling, but I want to balance that against this being the best time for MTB..

sandyrs
09-12-2016, 10:55 AM
Cross is here and not a moment too soon. Eric/ebaumann took this picture of me looking like I want to die (https://www.instagram.com/p/BKMQHhLha4f/?taken-by=ericbaumann), but this is the best time of the year. Today I actually had to wear arm warmers on my morning ride and was so happy I could have shed a tear.

guido
09-12-2016, 11:15 AM
My goals are to knock some time off my PR for the local club metric in two weeks and do a fast statute century in October.

New PR for metric. Check (even on a nasty, rainy, windy day...).

livingminimal
09-12-2016, 12:47 PM
Cross is here and not a moment too soon. Eric/ebaumann took this picture of me looking like I want to die (https://www.instagram.com/p/BKMQHhLha4f/?taken-by=ericbaumann), but this is the best time of the year. Today I actually had to wear arm warmers on my morning ride and was so happy I could have shed a tear.

That's an awesome picture. I now have to follow both of you on the 'gram.

livingminimal
09-12-2016, 12:48 PM
Today I actually had to wear arm warmers on my morning ride and was so happy I could have shed a tear.

Happened to me last week (in Southern California!) I was beyond happy about it.

tuscanyswe
09-12-2016, 12:53 PM
Fall? Theres no signs of fall here. 22 degrees C plus and tomorrow its going to be a couple more. Sweden is turning into southern europe?

joosttx
09-12-2016, 12:55 PM
It is fall here in Marin...

https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8344/29486535622_9e00eb3ea4_c.jpg

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8121/29539050551_a0cc9498df_c.jpg

https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8017/29329679140_c2dd6d096f_c.jpg

livingminimal
09-12-2016, 12:58 PM
Im just sad I am probably not racing cross this year. Or, if I am, it wont be until December or the short January series we have.

weisan
10-02-2016, 06:48 AM
Anyone else?

bobswire
10-02-2016, 09:00 AM
Anyone else?

Love the fall. I took this on Thursday of last week.

http://i64.tinypic.com/148f6ma.jpg

After the app PRISMA rendering.

http://i65.tinypic.com/ftlnav.jpg

bcroslin
10-02-2016, 09:03 AM
Fall. Ha. Mid-80's and 100% humidity. Kill me.

bcroslin
10-23-2016, 02:43 PM
Everyone mark your calendars, fall is finally here in Central FL

weisan
10-23-2016, 05:04 PM
Everyone mark your calendars, fall is finally here in Central FL

hee hee.....any pictures? :D

weisan
10-23-2016, 05:05 PM
Love the fall. I took this on Thursday of last week.

http://i64.tinypic.com/148f6ma.jpg

After the app PRISMA rendering.

http://i65.tinypic.com/ftlnav.jpg

WOW~~~!!!

bOB PAL.....no kiddin'.!

Pastashop
10-23-2016, 07:14 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161023/82e3c6840877998b8427c7076835afb3.jpg

unterhausen
10-23-2016, 07:25 PM
I have been trying to get competent enough on mtb to ride on the trails around here. Particularly interested in getting good enough at riding through rock gardens that I don't just close my eyes and fall over.

I'm not really aiming at anything else this year, but I'm trying to lose weight and get faster for next year. Mostly so I can have an easier time with randonneuring season.

Up until Thursday, it was shorts weather here, now it is cold and windy. Not a good transition.

Ralph
10-23-2016, 07:32 PM
In Florida this is the nicest time of the year. Low humidity, little below normal temps this AM but cool mornings (56 this AM), mid-high 70's afternoon, etc. Entering the dry season. Perfect!

bcroslin
10-23-2016, 07:39 PM
hee hee.....any pictures? :D

Everything looks exactly the same except it's not 90 degrees. But by Tuesday it will be 90 again I'm sure.

https://instagram.com/p/BL6ty_xgMzd/

jtakeda
10-23-2016, 07:40 PM
I've been sick.
Got doored by the driver of a taxi cab and have been spending all my money on private press and out of print australian rock records.

Fall is pretty good.

weisan
10-23-2016, 07:55 PM
I've been sick.
Got doored by the driver of a taxi cab and have been spending all my money on private press and out of print australian rock records.

Fall is pretty good.

takeda pal, sorry to hear that, please take care of yourself.

Dead Man
10-23-2016, 07:55 PM
How is this thread labeled "in the Fall" but has an original post date from August?

Fall has been pretty awesome for me, despite the fact that I never did find race-weight this summer, am slowly putting the lbs back on as we creep into the darkness, and am averaging under 100 miles a week - and did not get a single training ride in this week.

But I took 1st place at Washugal MX today... finished 8th, 8th, 6th, 4th, 4th, and now 1st... so either I'm somehow getting stronger or everyone else in the cat 5s are getting weaker?

No, I'm sure it's more a combination of learning how to ride in mud, and the simple fact that the fast beginner men are getting catted out of my field, making room for those of us fighting for but consistently missing the podium.

Whatever the case... my first real season at CX has been a hell of a lot of fun, and really has made up for my mostly missed road season this summer. Have made some new friends/cycling partners at the races too, which is always coo... totally different subset of people doing CX.

I bought a new bike too - That steel Traitor I built up was riding just fine for me and I would have kept riding it, but I had some wicket toe-overlap and couldn't pedal in the corners! F that noise... scored a Ridley X-Night off a dude for a righteous price, and can get the wheel past my toes now.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/dM2xuxnJCg4H6/200_s.gif

stephenmarklay
10-23-2016, 08:15 PM
It was a cool day of riding today. It was barely out of the 30’s when I left but I think it approached 50.

I did not care as it as my first outdoor ride in a couple of weeks. We have had nothing but rain.

I am already getting fat. At the end of August my kids said daddy you have a six pack. Now I have to go to the store if they want to see a six pack :)

I have been training for a few weeks on Trainer road. I am doing one of the sweet spot base programs. I would really rather do a long traditional base but I just can’t keep the motivation up needed to ride that much on the trainer.

A also just started Zwift and I am hoping that will help me fill in the cracks with more miles.

I am always hopeful I will come out of the winter darkness fit as a fiddle.

jtakeda
10-23-2016, 08:22 PM
takeda pal, sorry to hear that, please take care of yourself.

Tryin!

I think I'll be fine. Hand will take a few weeks to heal. Driver is gonna get cited for hit and run and I got enough info to give to the police that his insurance called me the other day.

All said and done-no broken bones. Dude is getting in trouble and hopefully I'll get a little settlement to finance my Aussie Rock problem

sjbraun
10-23-2016, 09:09 PM
94 degrees in Tucson today, but it was a dry heat.
It ain't Fall until the arm warmers come out.

bcroslin
10-23-2016, 09:16 PM
94 degrees in Tucson today, but it was a dry heat.
It ain't Fall until the arm warmers come out.

My feeling exactly. I wore arm warmers AND a vest this morning.

mwynne
10-23-2016, 09:18 PM
It was a cool day of riding today. It was barely out of the 30’s when I left but I think it approached 50.

I did not care as it as my first outdoor ride in a couple of weeks. We have had nothing but rain.

I am already getting fat. At the end of August my kids said daddy you have a six pack. Now I have to go to the store if they want to see a six pack :)

I have been training for a few weeks on Trainer road. I am doing one of the sweet spot base programs. I would really rather do a long traditional base but I just can’t keep the motivation up needed to ride that much on the trainer.

A also just started Zwift and I am hoping that will help me fill in the cracks with more miles.

I am always hopeful I will come out of the winter darkness fit as a fiddle.

Similar weather down here in Pullman. No trainer options in the apartment though, will have to figure out something for winter...

2LeftCleats
10-24-2016, 05:45 AM
Did the Hilly Hundred ride over the weekend down here in Southern Indiana. Terrific weather. Roads a little choppy in places. For various reasons, I've not been able to ride as consistently this season as in the past, so I was tired the end of each day and had to use all the gears.

GParkes
10-24-2016, 05:48 AM
Wonderful, when spots like this are on your ride.

belopsky
10-24-2016, 08:22 AM
It's getting to the point where toes go numb 1mile in. Need to get some booties.

weisan
10-24-2016, 08:39 AM
It's getting to the point where toes go numb 1mile in. Need to get some booties.

wow, really?
where do you ride?

https://aos.iacpublishinglabs.com/question/aq/700px-394px/how-do-eskimos-live-today_6fad996e-b0d1-4a4a-a23f-8ef6c0de7486.jpg?domain=cx.aos.ask.com

estilley
10-24-2016, 11:20 AM
Sidelined with injury I've somehow lost five pounds. Dipped under 131# the other day.

I'm spending my time building wheels and getting my Mr Pink together so when I'm finally ready I'll ride until the cows come home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

belopsky
10-24-2016, 11:31 AM
wow, really?
where do you ride?

https://aos.iacpublishinglabs.com/question/aq/700px-394px/how-do-eskimos-live-today_6fad996e-b0d1-4a4a-a23f-8ef6c0de7486.jpg?domain=cx.aos.ask.com

Michigan.

Saturday was mid 30s when I headed out :(

deechee
10-24-2016, 11:41 AM
Cold. Almost took myself out on some wet leaves yesterday and the crazy winds were trying to push me off the road. At times I was doing 280watts and doing 18km/h.

belopsky
10-24-2016, 11:44 AM
Cold. Almost took myself out on some wet leaves yesterday and the crazy winds were trying to push me off the road. At times I was doing 280watts and doing 18km/h.

Yikes. Where in Canada?

Mzilliox
10-24-2016, 11:46 AM
Wet, unseasonably so, wettest October here in at least 50 years.

So less fishing, and more fenders
https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5737/30276640022_b7bc360f56_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/N8rGfS)Rainy gravel (https://flic.kr/p/N8rGfS) by Matt.zilliox (https://www.flickr.com/photos/41573599@N06/), on Flickr

weisan
10-25-2016, 07:06 PM
I'm working on it right this minute!

bcroslin
10-25-2016, 07:26 PM
I'm working on it right this minute!

Just ate half-a-pint of Chubby Hubby post training ride. So much for those miles.

Dead Man
10-25-2016, 07:29 PM
Just ate half-a-pint of Chubby Hubby post training ride. So much for those miles.

But at least it's offset.

Wasted ride? Nah, son... free ice cream.

:beer:

Dead Man
10-25-2016, 07:33 PM
This is my "ice cream"

and I didn't even ride today

Ti Designs
10-25-2016, 07:37 PM
Fall for my comes in two parts: There's the wonderful riding that a New England fall brings, and there's looking forward to training for next season.

The fall riding has been good, Leftyfreak and I ride every Thursday morning, and we're running another Next Tour this Sunday. https://edsasslercoaching.com/rides/the-next-tour/ Wednesday morning has become the dirt hammer ride. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_vRohsDz1FWeTdNU0d4SzlkTEU On Tuesdays I get to ride with my girlfriend on the tandem - sorry, no pictures...

Training for next season has taken on a whole new meaning. In past years my shop has run my pedal stroke (technique) classes as well as power meter based (fitness) classes. I've been told that the power meter classes are more scientific and produce better results (by someone who can't stay on my wheel). Do you remember in the movie Rocky iii, what Clubber Lang said when asked about his prediction for the fight? That's my prediction for spring riding...

AngryScientist
10-25-2016, 07:41 PM
https://nhbrackets.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/clubber-lang-pain.png?w=470

Waldo
10-26-2016, 12:13 PM
In a word: s***ty. In more words, I crashed on October 13, losing a bunch of skin and heavily bruising my right wrist. Then, a week later (10/20), I developed debilitating back spasms, which left me barely able to walk and turning over in bed was excruciatingly painful and took about two minutes. Back is slowly improving; road rash on the hip has healed, but I now have a low grade infection in the elbow. Oh, joy...

(I must do core work, I must do core work, I must do core work, I must do core work, I must do core work, I must do core work, I must do core work, I must do core work...)

Gsinill
11-07-2016, 12:16 PM
In the high 60s, blue skies and beautiful fall colors on Saturday and Sunday.
Probably the 2 best days for riding this year in Chicagoland.
I love fall!

azrider
11-07-2016, 12:23 PM
Fall ? what is a Fall ?

Gsinill
11-07-2016, 12:42 PM
Fall ? what is a Fall ?
Good to know; we are getting ready for Thanksgiving in Scottsdale :)

azrider
11-07-2016, 12:42 PM
Good to know; we are getting ready for Thanksgiving in Scottsdale :)

Nice! Come on down. Bring a sweater cause temps could be in mid 70's by then :p

Lewis Moon
11-07-2016, 12:59 PM
Nice! Come on down. Bring a sweater cause temps could be in mid 70's by then :p

Positively knee warmer weather....

azrider
11-07-2016, 01:08 PM
Positively knee warmer weather....

Truth!

weisan
11-07-2016, 01:09 PM
In the high 60s, blue skies and beautiful fall colors on Saturday and Sunday.
Probably the 2 best days for riding this year in Chicagoland.
I love fall!

The weather in Austin this past weekend been kinda all over the place.

We got soaked down to the skin on Saturday and folks have to bail (incl. me) because it was not fun anymore...

https://vimeo.com/190505848

and then Sunday morning, even though there was rain in the forecast, we made a judgment call to go ahead with the ride. As it turned out, it was the right decision and we were treated to some of the BEST riding days....of the year! Temp. stayed on 60s, blue sky, sun is out, the roads were dry for the most part, easy tempo 45 miles...it was AWESOME! And then it poured again in the afternoon...and will continue to rain in the next couple of days according to the long range forecast.

Gsinill
11-07-2016, 01:36 PM
positively knee warmer weather....
truth!

LOL!

Reminds me of a recent business trip to Virginia. Unusually cold morning for this time of the year in VA, even had to scrape ice off the windshield.

While waiting for my colleagues outside the customer's office, I was wondering whether I messed up the time.
Standing there all by myself just in my suit, they finally all came crawling out of their cars, last minute because it was "soooo" cold!

Southern sissies!!! ;)