PDA

View Full Version : SRAM Red Front Shifter Issues

BobC
08-28-2016, 11:03 AM
Hey all,

Having serious SRAM Red 10 Front Shifter Issues -- as in it won't shift into the big ring (more precisely I can shift but then it reverts back to the small ring).

Planning taking it apart to parade rest & clean; but before I do, any recommendations for what I should look for?

Thanks!

Cheers, BobC

oldpotatoe
08-28-2016, 11:56 AM
Hey all,

Having serious SRAM Red 10 Front Shifter Issues -- as in it won't shift into the big ring (more precisely I can shift but then it reverts back to the small ring).

Planning taking it apart to parade rest & clean; but before I do, any recommendations for what I should look for?

Thanks!

Cheers, BobC

Sounds like a shifter problem. Cable seated in spool? Shifter all the way in small ring position before installing cable( in proper hole in spool), then shifting up the front Der just reverts back to small ring? The shifter holds it on the big ring, the front Der spring pulls it back to small.

BobC
08-28-2016, 02:51 PM
Sounds like a shifter problem. Cable seated in spool? Shifter all the way in small ring position before installing cable( in proper hole in spool), then shifting up the front Der just reverts back to small ring? The shifter holds it on the big ring, the front Der spring pulls it back to small.

Yeah, I suspect it is a shifter problem. I don't know enough about SRAM to know where in the shifter the problem is.

Definitely won't shift up & stay. Do not hear the clicking. Argh.

oldpotatoe
08-28-2016, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I suspect it is a shifter problem. I don't know enough about SRAM to know where in the shifter the problem is.

Definitely won't shift up & stay. Do not hear the clicking. Argh.

Shifter. The thing that holds the spool is metal but the spool and teeth are plastic. No click tells me one or the other is busted. In spite of sram warrantying anything at any time for any reason, don't think they have a replacement 10s shifter. Maybe lower end one but 'going to 11s' will involve a new or converted rear wheel.

peanutgallery
08-28-2016, 04:21 PM
Spring for new cable/housing and douse liberally with wd40. Front is sensitive to the cable at times

sitzmark
08-28-2016, 05:33 PM
Also check your upper limit screw. If set too "tight" it won't let brifter pull enough cable to slot into detent (which is when the click happens). May not be the problem, but easy enough to to back off on the limit and see if chain will climb the big ring and stay there. If stays but then drops off outside, check alignment.

thunderworks
08-28-2016, 06:36 PM
Inadequate cable tension can also produce your symptoms.

chiasticon
08-29-2016, 01:20 PM
In spite of sram warrantying anything at any time for any reason, don't think they have a replacement 10s shifter. Maybe lower end one but 'going to 11s' will involve a new or converted rear wheel.it's a FD/shifter though. if they only have 11 speed shifters, you could still use the replacement and buy a $30 Rival Yaw FD, it'll shift better than 10 speed Red did anyway.

other good points above too, regarding cable tension, lube, high/low stops. and those are all easier to check. but then the question becomes: when and how did the problem start? it wouldn't just jump to this out of nowhere. if you were messing with the limit screws, perhaps you over-did it. if it's gotten worse over time, perhaps cable tension/friction is to blame. etc...

but if there's no clicking, OP is prolly right, that the shifter is busted.

ColonelJLloyd
08-29-2016, 01:25 PM
FWIW, they are still producing and selling Red 10s shifters so they certainly have something to send if a warranty claim. I assume it would be the newest shape.

itit'll shift better than 10 speed Red did anyway.

Yaw was introduced with Red 10s, wasn't it?

chiasticon
08-29-2016, 01:57 PM
Yaw was introduced with Red 10s, wasn't it?yeah I was trying to remember when I typed that if it was or not, and was too lazy to google :crap:

but you're correct! if he already has yaw, he won't need a different FD. the yaw-compatible front shifters just do away with extra trim position. which means yaw FD's work with 10 speed/non-yaw shifters (just get an extra click) but not the other way around. at least not to my knowledge...

BobC
08-30-2016, 05:40 AM
Thanks all,

I did pick up a new yaw FD -- I ordered it when the front shifter crapped out this past Thursday.

Anyway, I will be taking it apart this weekend & let everyone know how things go.

Thank goodness I have my back-up Serotta with Campy 9/10 mix (campy 9 FD & RD and campy 10 ergolevers) which I am able to ride in the interim.

Cheers, Bob

oldpotatoe
08-30-2016, 05:54 AM
it's a FD/shifter though. if they only have 11 speed shifters, you could still use the replacement and buy a $30 Rival Yaw FD, it'll shift better than 10 speed Red did anyway.

other good points above too, regarding cable tension, lube, high/low stops. and those are all easier to check. but then the question becomes: when and how did the problem start? it wouldn't just jump to this out of nowhere. if you were messing with the limit screws, perhaps you over-did it. if it's gotten worse over time, perhaps cable tension/friction is to blame. etc...

but if there's no clicking, OP is prolly right, that the shifter is busted.

ah, of course..LH/front der shifter..And for Bob above...disconnect the cable from the shifter..hold onto the cable, and then shift the shifter..if it 'clicks' and pulls cable, maybe not the shifter..if it doesn't, it is the shifter. Yes, an editorial..if it were a Campag shifter, yes, it could be fixed..if sram..not really altho that was their initial intent but no small part SKUs..

I once had a busted red shifter in the shop(specialized..selling bike dealer wanted to send the WHOLE BIKE back-huh?)..just the shift lever blade broke off..sram didn't have any shifters..I asked if they had one that broke for another reason?..'No', he said..'so what do you do with broken shifters?', I ask..'we throw them away'..he says kinda..well duh?

In chicago? dumspster dive the sram trash.

BobC
09-04-2016, 06:10 PM
Finally got it working!! (we'll see how long it works)

I will tell you the SRAM front derailleur setup is pretty counterintuitive.

Cheers, BobC