PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Colnago C59 closeout at Excel Sports

bthornt
08-28-2016, 09:26 AM
Follow this link: http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=29&siteComingFrom=emailspecial

tv_vt
08-28-2016, 11:02 AM
Don't bother to follow that link if you're tall...

fignon's barber
08-28-2016, 11:37 AM
hhhmm...If they lower the price a few hundred dollars more, they would be at the same price you can buy a new 2017 C60 for from overseas!:eek:

Nags&Ducs
08-28-2016, 11:37 AM
Dang... A 52S in white (PR99) in stock. Double dang.

binxnyrwarrsoul
08-28-2016, 12:31 PM
Thanks. Thanks a lot.

OtayBW
08-28-2016, 12:36 PM
Pretty darn good deal, I think. And the 52s...just my size....:eek:

binxnyrwarrsoul
08-28-2016, 12:40 PM

Same here, and in the hard to find PR99.

RoadWhale
08-28-2016, 03:26 PM
Don't bother to follow that link if you're tall...

Thank you! You just saved my 193cm self another frustrating click. :beer:

beeatnik
08-28-2016, 08:11 PM

PR99 is berry nice

https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7301/27871023972_eb0d28f09a_b.jpg

https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8894/28720405190_9bc88a48ce_o.jpg

Nags&Ducs
08-28-2016, 08:39 PM

Cmon OtBW or binxny, get one, ride it a few miles and decide it's too nice a ride and sell it to me at today's depressed values for used bikes!!!:D:D:D

PR99 is berry nice

Dang Nick is that your top ride? That a 59 or 60? Traditional size 55?? Humuna humuna!!

cinema
08-28-2016, 10:42 PM
that white c59 is just beautiful, a dream ride for sure

oldpotatoe
08-29-2016, 05:49 AM
hhhmm...If they lower the price a few hundred dollars more, they would be at the same price you can buy a new 2017 C60 for from overseas!:eek:

Yup, I've never understood why any US retailer sells Colnago. They are available easily from a couple of UK online stores..they are the 'cheap cogset' of Italian bike frames-Maestro-UK.com, for example and Colnago, ITL isn't interested in trying to get these into any US shop.

I tried to sell them when I owned a shop and the importer at the time wouldn't help at all. Colnago-USA won't either. BUT if these fit ya, good deal on a great frame.

paredown
08-29-2016, 06:11 AM
Well that 54sl in the Italia (GDAN) would fit me, but I'm looking for a used car for that kind of money...:help:

fignon's barber
08-29-2016, 07:48 AM
Yup, I've never understood why any US retailer sells Colnago. They are available easily from a couple of UK online stores..they are the 'cheap cogset' of Italian bike frames-Maestro-UK.com, for example and Colnago, ITL isn't interested in trying to get these into any US shop.

I tried to sell them when I owned a shop and the importer at the time wouldn't help at all. Colnago-USA won't either. BUT if these fit ya, good deal on a great frame.

You're right. Same thing with Campagnolo. They add an unneeded level of distribution, which doubles the cost, and customers loyal to the brand seek out fair market price elsewhere. UK retailers like Maestro or Ribble are not selling for low prices, they are fair prices.

oldpotatoe
08-29-2016, 08:23 AM
You're right. Same thing with Campagnolo. They add an unneeded level of distribution, which doubles the cost, and customers loyal to the brand seek out fair market price elsewhere. UK retailers like Maestro or Ribble are not selling for low prices, they are fair prices.

Not really 'unneeded', selling direct costs a lot of $. A warehouse selling to many thousands of places vs selling to 5-6. Selling a cogset vs selling 50.

Plus with components, unlike frames, lots of grey and black market, unrestricted OEM resale(mostly shimano here), seconds, out the back door stuff going on. Add the strange European MAP/MSRP selling contacts and policy..it is a little different. Maestro-UK is maybe one of 2-3 that discount Colnago..and they 'may' be owned by.....Colnago.

It would be the same if Colnago USA sold direct AND to bike shops..like a few MO places do in the US..distributors who 'own' store fronts.

54ny77
08-29-2016, 08:25 AM
those are 6200 bucks new? wow. i last looked at one of their carbon offerings maybe 10 years ago, even at retail in nyc i don't think it was that much. anyone remember the old "cadence" bike shop down in tribeca? that was one seriously swank shop (it went bust though). they carried colnago, among other swank brands.

bthornt
08-29-2016, 09:13 AM
those are 6200 bucks new? wow. i last looked at one of their carbon offerings maybe 10 years ago, even at retail in nyc i don't think it was that much. anyone remember the old "cadence" bike shop down in tribeca? that was one seriously swank shop (it went bust though). they carried colnago, among other swank brands.

I agree, the pricing is crazy. Even the sales price is pretty hard to take. Think of other carbon frames (or entire bikes, for that matter) that you could get for the sales price of $3,200 that is being charged for the C59 frame only.

I have owned a steel Colnago (masterlight), and it was a very nice bike, but I've never owned a carbon Colnago. I know these bikes are very well received on this forum, which is unusual for a carbon bike. Does the fact that it's lugged construction make that much difference?

fignon's barber
08-29-2016, 10:51 AM
Not really 'unneeded', selling direct costs a lot of $. A warehouse selling to many thousands of places vs selling to 5-6. Selling a cogset vs selling 50.

I know what you're saying, but logistics have improved in the last 30 years. US isn't as far away from Italy as it once was. Shipping logistics can be handled without the doubling of retail pricing. It's the doubling of the US retail price that opens the door to buyers reaching out to fair price markets.
I can't imagine the Campagnolo annual business meeting:
"OK, let's see the market share results. Italy 62%,France 44%, Belgium 50%, USA .000369%......errhh,ok USA, good job."
As a Campagnolite, I don't understand these things. Same applies for Colnago, Sidi.

oldpotatoe
08-29-2016, 11:27 AM
I know what you're saying, but logistics have improved in the last 30 years. US isn't as far away from Italy as it once was. Shipping logistics can be handled without the doubling of retail pricing. It's the doubling of the US retail price that opens the door to buyers reaching out to fair price markets.
I can't imagine the Campagnolo annual business meeting:
"OK, let's see the market share results. Italy 62%,France 44%, Belgium 50%, USA .000369%......errhh,ok USA, good job."
As a Campagnolite, I don't understand these things. Same applies for Colnago, Sidi.

Well, the US is probably Campagnolo's 3rd or 4th most important market, Europe, Japan. Second, Campag sells everything they make. Whether they sell it to Ribble or QBP makes no difference to them. They are a small company by comparison. Right now, warehousing and shipping to numerous customers just isn't in their sights. Selling to a distributor is. They sell to a distributor and retailer at the same $...the strange pricing levels is a function of European MAP
Pricing regs. With the big UK MO outfits, Campag IS direct. Only the USA has distributors. Again, to create a warehouse and ship/billing department to retailers costs a lot of $. The places that are getting hurt, really, are US distributors. QBP, SBS, Hawley, BTI, others...their sales are way down because consumers are buying online.

fignon's barber
08-29-2016, 04:24 PM
Well, the US is probably Campagnolo's 3rd or 4th most important market, Europe, Japan. Second, Campag sells everything they make. Whether they sell it to Ribble or QBP makes no difference to them. They are a small company by comparison. Right now, warehousing and shipping to numerous customers just isn't in their sights. Selling to a distributor is. They sell to a distributor and retailer at the same $...the strange pricing levels is a function of European MAP
Pricing regs. With the big UK MO outfits, Campag IS direct. Only the USA has distributors. Again, to create a warehouse and ship/billing department to retailers costs a lot of $. The places that are getting hurt, really, are US distributors. QBP, SBS, Hawley, BTI, others...their sales are way down because consumers are buying online.

Yes, I agree with what you say. But my point is: why do you need qbp AND campag USA ? One of those levels is the unneeded level of which I speak.

Mikej
08-30-2016, 06:49 AM
Yes, I agree with what you say. But my point is: why do you need qbp AND campag USA ? One of those levels is the unneeded level of which I speak.

Dude, I just need a taste, a little to dip my beak in....

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-01-2016, 07:07 AM
PR99 is berry nice

Ooof so so want.

binxnyrwarrsoul
09-01-2016, 07:09 AM
Cmon OtBW or binxny, get one, ride it a few miles and decide it's too nice a ride and sell it to me at today's depressed values for used bikes!!!:D:D:D

Dang Nick is that your top ride? That a 59 or 60? Traditional size 55?? Humuna humuna!!

Hahaha sell a bike or frameset? Good one, N n D. Good one. Traditional 56, TT and I'd have it. Who needs to eat? Ramen and water, piece of cake.