PDA

View Full Version : Prescription cycling sunglasses for high astigmatism

Veloo
08-28-2016, 06:24 AM
I called SportRx to get an idea of what type of glasses would work out for me with my high astigmatism.
They could only recommend the Oaklay Mainlnk and Crosslink which don't really appeal to me and my local optometrist can get those for me. Was hoping more for a shield type of glasses.
I currently wear Rudy Project Rydons.
I have the clip on Rx insert but it's not comfy. I'm also tired of putting on contacts.
My prescription requires a flatter lens. The Rydons had to be "flattened" a bit when I first got them cuz the curvature resulted in some distortion. Not perfect but it does the job.

Wondering what has worked for others with high astigmatism.

For those that understand it, here's my Rx
Sphere Cyl Axis
OD -4.50 -2.50 003
ID -4.25 -3.50 002

Bruce K
08-28-2016, 12:33 PM
Try contacting Sports Optical in Denver (different from Sport Rx)

They may have some more options.

BK

parris
08-28-2016, 02:55 PM
My son's rx is similar to yours. One of the Oakley frames that worked for him was the Frogskin. The flatter profile of the frame allowed a stronger rx compared to the models with more wrap.

Louis
08-28-2016, 03:18 PM
Try contacting Sports Optical in Denver (different from Sport Rx)

+1

I have a very high - prescription (way higher than the OP, so it was a different situation) and they did a great job. I'd definitely recommend them.

djg21
08-28-2016, 05:07 PM
I called SportRx to get an idea of what type of glasses would work out for me with my high astigmatism.
They could only recommend the Oaklay Mainlnk and Crosslink which don't really appeal to me and my local optometrist can get those for me. Was hoping more for a shield type of glasses.
I currently wear Rudy Project Rydons.
I have the clip on Rx insert but it's not comfy. I'm also tired of putting on contacts.
My prescription requires a flatter lens. The Rydons had to be "flattened" a bit when I first got them cuz the curvature resulted in some distortion. Not perfect but it does the job.

Wondering what has worked for others with high astigmatism.

For those that understand it, here's my Rx
Sphere Cyl Axis
OD -4.50 -2.50 003
ID -4.25 -3.50 002

Why not a pair of Rudys with a prescription lens. I have a pair with photochromatic lenses that I can use day or evening, rain or shine. I have some astigmatism and need a fair amount of correction. They work great.

John H.
08-28-2016, 05:39 PM
Frogskin might work, but they are not ideal for cycling.
Heck, they are even a step back for leisure/style glasses in terms of function.
Frames are not bendable, and they also lack the rubber (unobtainium) earpieces and nosepiece that helps keep the glasses in place.

If RX does not work with their "cycling" glasses, you may want to look at something like the Oakley Crosslink series- they have the features that will make the glasses for like sport specific glasses.

My son's rx is similar to yours. One of the Oakley frames that worked for him was the Frogskin. The flatter profile of the frame allowed a stronger rx compared to the models with more wrap.

Veloo
08-28-2016, 06:10 PM
Which Rudy's do you have?

Why not a pair of Rudys with a prescription lens. I have a pair with photochromatic lenses that I can use day or evening, rain or shine. I have some astigmatism and need a fair amount of correction. They work great.

ultraman6970
08-28-2016, 06:12 PM
I have strong astigmatism aswell, You need to leave behind anything that is too curved and as somebody mentioned, probably look onto the flat models or just go and find something like a light sports nike or oakley frame that actually can be used with your prescription.

Talked a couple of years ago with a guy in a store in colorado that actually could cut me a set of glasses using my prescription, they said I was just at the limit they could do, and pretty much only one frame was going to work that was curved enogh (actually was the less curvy of all they had), the problem was that was going to cost me one leg and one arm. If you have the money call the guys somebody recommended you but sure wont be cheap at all.

I'm still using a discontinued 6 years old nike frame because cant find anything similar yet. ANd havent been able to find another frame even at ebay, soon will be in the same boat than you tho... new shades... :/

djg21
08-28-2016, 06:31 PM
Which Rudy's do you have?

I have a set of Rydon with the RX lens. My older pair were Ketyeums with an RX insert. With the insert, I never changed lenses because I prefer the photichromatic lenses for everything. So this time I went with the direct-in-frame RX option.

I went to a local optometrist who sells them to get fit and try's a few samples on. But you can also buy direct (I'm not inclined because I want to have local service available).

http://www.e-rudy.com/en/products/filter/category/sunglasses/sub/rx-collection/rx%20program/direct%20in%20frame

Veloo
08-28-2016, 06:51 PM
I'm told the Rydons are too curved for direct Rx lenses. The Ketyum was proposed a few years back but not crazy about that model.

Looking at some vids on the Oakley Crosslink line has opened me up to them. I'll ask my optometrist if they can do them in a photochromic lens.
I'm guessing this will run me about $800.

jtakeda
08-28-2016, 07:17 PM
not the answer you're lookin for but I have a high astigmatism and use rayban wayfarers on the road.

shovelhd
08-28-2016, 07:20 PM
I have the Rudy Stratofly with polarization, Transitions, prescription, progressive bifocals, and grey tint. They are heavily curved though so I don't think they will work for you. Why not try a set of standard sunglasses like Ray Bans with a prescription lens? Not ideal but it could work.

djg21
08-28-2016, 07:38 PM
I'm told the Rydons are too curved for direct Rx lenses. The Ketyum was proposed a few years back but not crazy about that model.

Looking at some vids on the Oakley Crosslink line has opened me up to them. I'll ask my optometrist if they can do them in a photochromic lens.
I'm guessing this will run me about $800.

Maybe the lens insert would work best for your level of correction? The ability to swap lenses can be nice if you're inclined. The only downside was some fogging in really, damp weather, primarily when on the MTB.

Brian Cdn
08-28-2016, 09:08 PM
Danny

I have a similar optical challenge with high astigmatism, a complex script and light sensitivity.

Curvature is an issue on all the glasses that I tried. With the help of a great local optician, who recommended Adidas with RX inserts, it solved my problem. I have both the Evil Eye Pro and the Adizero Tempo models. The RX inserts are easily interchanged between these two models as well as others.

The lenses I have are anti-fog and I have had no issues riding in wet weather..

malbecman
08-28-2016, 09:22 PM
Strange that they would say that....I have similar Rx and got my prescription Rx through them. I got the Rudy Project and I think they are are the Horus model but let me check. They nailed the Rx right on and it was the first style of wrap-arounds I have ever worn. :hello:

Yep, here they are

http://www.sportrx.com/rudy-project-horus.html

I got them with the dawn to dusk tinting package and love them.

jasonification
08-28-2016, 10:10 PM
perhaps this might be a bit weird, but i've had good success using aero helmets with shields (ie. Bell Pro Star Shield, Giro Air Attack Shields) with good effect. It allows me to wear my glasses underneath, and I have the option of putting on and off the shield when the ride is too bright/dark.

Bruce K
08-29-2016, 02:46 AM
Rydons are great with Rxs.

I have ridden in Rx versions from Sports Optical for years.

BK

benb
08-29-2016, 05:22 AM
I have a Rx pretty similar to the OP and I got Rudy Project Rydons from Sports Optical this year and they're fantastic. No inserts.

If you have them make you a clear pair of lenses have them put the AR coating on them. You don't need AR for cycling and I let Sports Optical talk me out of to save money it but the curved lenses are really annoying without AR if you wear them indoors or for night driving in a pinch. I broke my regular glasses this summer and had to wear the Rydons for a week at my job and they gave me some nasty headaches from the reflections.

Veloo
09-27-2016, 07:41 PM
Found a local optician (Brian CDN's reco) to do up a set of Adidas Evil Eye Halfrim Pros. They were able to do direct Rx lens so no uncomfortable clip-on lenses.
Rudy Project can only do a cyl between -2 and +2 for direct lens.
I tried the Oakley Crosslinks and they just felt cheap and had no curvature.
The Evil Eyes fit great and the lenses are Carl Zeiss photochromic, AR. No noticeable distortion even with the curved frame.

Very happy with the product.

As a bonus, the arms have 3 positions pivoting at the hinge area. Works out for me since the right ear is slightly lower than the left.

CSKeller
09-27-2016, 08:23 PM
I have a similar astigmatism but also require stronger power. Brent is easy to deal with and knows his stuff. I got 2 pairs of Rudy RB3s. They have inserts and are discontinued/have been replaced.

I love them! I am thinking of talking with Brent soon to get a new pair of prescription Rudys but there are so many choices.

Give Brent a call! He'll help you find the right pair.

RobJ
09-27-2016, 09:09 PM
Not exactly sure of my actual diagnosis but my eyes s**k. I have a stigmatism and glaucoma. Already had glaucoma surgery in my early 40's. My prescription glasses are progressives and actually not unusually thick. I've been using the Rydons with just the reader lenses for running and cycling, but they weren't cutting it.

I came across Opticus in Colorado mainly for some higher altitude stuff I was venturing into. They were excellent to work with and could easily handle my prescription. Got the feeling it was a husband/wife operation and she always called and picked up the phone to answer my questions. Not your traditional cycling glasses, but work across many fronts and make great casual athletic glasses as well. I got the Chullo model with removable eye shields so work well as daily drivers too.