PDA

View Full Version : How I spent my Saturday

Tandem Rider
08-27-2016, 04:41 PM
We are hosting one of two World Cup cross races this year. This is an unbelievably huge undertaking logistically and requires an enormous number of volunteers, even compared to UCI 1 and 2 races. (I think there are a few on here who were out today as well).

We are fortunate to locally have in incredible army of volunteers with a wide variety of skillsets who have come together to make this happen every year.

I hope that a bunch of Paceliners can make it out for this event, it promises to be an exhibition of athleticism rarely seen.

shovelhd
08-27-2016, 05:12 PM
Nice!!!!

bcroslin
08-27-2016, 06:17 PM
Where is this world cup race that you speak of?

SpeedyChix
08-27-2016, 06:39 PM
Thinking that it's for Jingle Cross in Iowa?

livingminimal
08-27-2016, 06:58 PM
Yep has to be JINGLE CROSS!
cos that sure as **** aint vegas :o

Tandem Rider
08-27-2016, 07:13 PM
It's Jingle Cross in Iowa City!!

oliver1850
08-27-2016, 10:32 PM
I can come over to help some afternoon if needed.

Tandem Rider
08-29-2016, 10:33 AM
We are always in need of some additional help. I can post it up on the next work day. Any help we can get with fencing, mowing, building, etc is greatly appreciated and all proceeds go to The Children's Hospital of Iowa.

Your chance to be a part of successful World Cup Races and UCI Races, put on by volunteers (not paid promoters) that donate all of the proceeds to a hospital for seriously ill children.

AngryScientist
08-29-2016, 10:40 AM
Your chance to be a part of successful World Cup Races and UCI Races, put on by volunteers (not paid promoters) that donate all of the proceeds to a hospital for seriously ill children.

Good work TR!

Nice to get your hands dirty for a good cause, especially cycling related. Post some pics of the completed course and of the races if you can.

Also - if you really still need help, post a new thread in the "Events" Section, I'm sure some fellow Paceliners would love to come out and help with a charitable event and do some work to help you out. If i were closer i'd come!

:beer:

-holiday76
08-29-2016, 10:56 AM
nice!

chiasticon
08-29-2016, 12:18 PM
that's awesome! your hard work is well appreciated by all fans of elite level 'cross! :hello:

stoked to see how the WC races go over this year! at least we'll have the World Champ present this time around. gotta say I'm bummed it seems like there will be no Van Der Poel again though :mad:

dumb question: admittedly I'm not super familiar with the Jingle Cross course. but those flyovers are clearly not high or steep enough, plus lack the ground clearance for traditional use. how exactly will they be implemented? or are they just still in progress?

Tandem Rider
08-29-2016, 12:54 PM
The flyovers are still in progress, but they do have 8 feet of clearance under the center section. The "ramps" still need to be built ( you thought bunnyhopping barriers is cool, I want to see 4 footers :D) , rails, paint, and carpet.

chiasticon
08-29-2016, 01:11 PM
The flyovers are still in progress, but they do have 8 feet of clearance under the center section. The "ramps" still need to be built ( you thought bunnyhopping barriers is cool, I want to see 4 footers :D) , rails, paint, and carpet.makes sense. figured it was a dumb question! :rolleyes: but they look so good as is, I had the confuse! :bike:

kppolich
08-29-2016, 03:16 PM
The flyovers are still in progress, but they do have 8 feet of clearance under the center section. The "ramps" still need to be built ( you thought bunnyhopping barriers is cool, I want to see 4 footers :D) , rails, paint, and carpet.

Iowa city local here. Kudos to you- had to work so I missed the first work day.

livingminimal
08-29-2016, 03:24 PM
gotta say I'm bummed it seems like there will be no Van Der Poel again though :mad:

sucks so bad...hoping LVDH is up to the task of competing with Wout.

gavingould
08-29-2016, 08:48 PM
i'll be there and look forward to seeing the handiwork.