PDA

View Full Version : Enough clearance?

Cornfed
08-27-2016, 12:41 PM
Trying to put 32s on my commuter/tourer and they clear the chainstays OK -- about 4-5 mm on either side -- but I've only got about 1-2mm between the tire and the seat tube. Barely daylight. Is that enough? Is that enough if I load 20 pounds of stuff on the bike (evenly distributed, front to back)?

cachagua
08-27-2016, 01:25 PM
I'd ride that, although maybe not everybody would. Couple of things to consider: try on the tires and the wheels you plan to use, pump 'em up 10-20psi higher than you'll be riding them, and let them sit for a week, just to see if they remain that size. And, put a chainstay protector, or part of one, along the back side of the seat tube, to protect the finish.

Vertical dropouts? If not, there's the question of whether you can mount the wheel without airing the tire down...

Seems like worst-case, anything that'd make the tire expand radially enough that it'd drag -- even the small amount you're talking about -- would mean a new tire anyway.

Cornfed
08-27-2016, 01:42 PM
Thanks, cachagua. I mounted them up as I plan to use them and the clearance is minimal. Through-axles, so no room to play with either. Good idea on the chainstay protector. Thanks again.