PDA

View Full Version : Campy brake tension screw

Matthew
08-27-2016, 10:24 AM
Noticed this morning on my rear Chorus brake caliper the screw that adjusts the tension (I think) is missing. This screw when snugged up moves one pad closer to the rim etc. Checked a couple local shops and of course they have nothing Campy. How can I get a replacement? I caught this because I noticed one pad was closer to the rim than the other side. Not rubbing but quite close. No clue how long it has been missing. One local mechanic said they really are not that necessary if I adjust the caliper using the bolt/nut that attaches the brake to the frame. Thoughts? Parts are 2015 Chorus. Thanks!!!

DRietz
08-27-2016, 10:54 AM
Noticed this morning on my rear Chorus brake caliper the screw that adjusts the tension (I think) is missing. This screw when snugged up moves one pad closer to the rim etc. Checked a couple local shops and of course they have nothing Campy. How can I get a replacement? I caught this because I noticed one pad was closer to the rim than the other side. Not rubbing but quite close. No clue how long it has been missing. One local mechanic said they really are not that necessary if I adjust the caliper using the bolt/nut that attaches the brake to the frame. Thoughts? Parts are 2015 Chorus. Thanks!!!

Your local mechanic is right, and his method will likely be an easier/less time consuming endeavor than sourcing one of those little set screws.

For what it's worth, I almost never use those screws to adjust pad position. I've been riding and working on Campy my whole career.

Matthew
08-27-2016, 11:05 AM
Took the screw out of the front brake. That caliper now has no tension. Weird because the rear still feels normal. I now think I need the screw contrary to what the mechanic said.

Matthew
08-27-2016, 01:36 PM
The above comment is correct. This screw is just for centering the brakes. I removed the front to match the rear. Adjusted my cable and its as good as if the screw was there. Problem solved. And thanks to oldpotatoe too for helping with this too.