PDA

View Full Version : time impact question

Fat Robert
07-11-2006, 12:29 PM
i'm a throw the box and booklet away guy

so

i noticed on the trainer just now that i'm getting angular (?) float in my r impact pedal -- i can rock my foot from side to side, changing the cant...like a boat rocking from side to side.... not good for my r knee.

1) is this a effed up pedal or cleat?

or

2) is there a screw on the pedal to eliminate that kind of float?

i've been on these pedals since 2002 and never noticed this...***?

saab2000
07-11-2006, 12:38 PM
There is on the Impact S and Mag models a small plate which can be adjusted inwards to lessen the lateral float of the pedals. I don't know which model you have.

I just replaced the cleats on my shoes and noticed a more secure cleat/pedal interface. I don't really notice any rocking as you describe, but then again I am not really sensitive to it so it might exist and I just don't really notice it.

I do know that I don't like the sideways float. I don't mind the rotating float, but I don't like my shoes moving sideways.

Fat Robert
07-11-2006, 12:41 PM
impact s

its not the shoe moving sideways -- narrowing or widening the stance

its pronation/supination kind of rocking. weird. the l pedal doesn't do it. cleats are only a month old.

bostondrunk
07-11-2006, 12:43 PM
cleats are only a month old.

i bet it not yo cleats then

Maybe the pedals themselves are worn out a bit??
I just went back to the old Look PP296's. So easy to use.

Fat Robert
07-11-2006, 12:46 PM
pisser

got the pedals nos in january

is there any stack difference between impacts and the rxs pedals?

justinf
07-11-2006, 12:46 PM
That is strange. I've been an Impact (carbon and mag) user for a while now and never experienced that boat-rocking movement. No cracks in the cleat or pedal after further inspection? Or, for that matter, your shoe sole?

justinf
07-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Stack difference negligible if any imho.

bluesea
07-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Are you talking about the heel following a widened "U" shaped pattern, similar to a Time ATAC where the cleat wedges the heel up as it begins to swing into unclip mode?

bcm119
07-11-2006, 02:58 PM
I had the same rocking with Campy pro-fits, not too long after buying new. Felt like balancing on a small ball bearing. It drove me nuts. I went back to Looks.

cpg
07-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Get the RXS pedals. For true mack daddy stature get the RXS shoes too. You'll get more tail than... well let's not get carried away.

Curt

chrisroph
07-11-2006, 06:11 PM
I've used all generations of times. I like the impacts the most of any, including the new RSX which I don't like at all. All of the times have a small amount of angular float. On the impacts, the surfaces upon which the cleats ride are screwed to the pedal body. Sometimes, these can work loose. In fact, this is the biggest problem with the impact pedals. I have had a pair or two that eventually after a lot of hard use developed stripped screws. When that happens, the pedals feel very disconnected and you have to throw them away. I would check the screws.

The stack height on my shoes is substantially lower than the RSX's because I mount the cleats directly to the soles of my carnac quartz in place of an adaptor plate. Using an adaptor, they are about the same.

I would defer to TT and other medically trained folks here but I have had and seen a lot of tendinitis issues. They are best avoided instead of cured. What works best for me is just the right shoes, impacts, tweaked orthotics, and not experimenting with different shoes, orthotics, positions, or pedal systems.

In my limited experience, many tendinitis or tracking issues are misdiagnosed as chrondomalacia; the real issue is often poor setup or too much experimentation with different positions, pedals, shoes, orthotics, etc.

Once you develop the problem, the key is RICE, getting back to a good setup ASAP, stretching, anti-inflammatories, strengthening the vasdus medialis, correcting muscle imbalances, keeping the IT band stretched and massaged, more RICE, and patience.

Fat Robert
07-11-2006, 07:01 PM
the cleat is shot -- the pedals check out. i can rock my shoe about 2mm up and down (clicked into the pedal, got out of the shoe, tried making it boat rock with my hands...mp).

TT and I figured out what brought on the chrondomalacia (its that...not tendon issues). some quad balancing, hip flexion, and core stability mix...I gradually dropped my bars 30mm over 6 weeks...my core is fine...but closing the hip angle changed up how my quads were working...a few weeks an dthis is going to be fine....

Fat Robert
07-11-2006, 07:52 PM
is this ever fun

clicked the shoe into an old pedal -- no rocking...so maybe the pedal is effed up...

who wants the impact cleats I just ordered? i'm trying the vxs...

chrisroph
07-11-2006, 11:07 PM
I'd be happy tp take the cleats off of your hands.

Fat Robert
07-12-2006, 05:39 AM
let me make sure one of my retired impacts will still work -- then i'll pm you about the cleats

chrisroph
07-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Robert, no worries, just let me know. Sounds from your pm like you have not given up on the impacts yet. They are the schizzz.

bostondrunk
07-12-2006, 08:49 AM
is this ever fun

clicked the shoe into an old pedal -- no rocking...so maybe the pedal is effed up...

who wants the impact cleats I just ordered? i'm trying the vxs...

told ya it was the pedals..... :D

Fat Robert
07-12-2006, 09:24 AM
told ya it was the pedals..... :D

oh well

i guess we'll always have r 2.5s

bostondrunk
07-12-2006, 09:25 AM
oh well

i guess we'll always have r 2.5s

those were sweeeeet...... :crap: