PDA

View Full Version : OT: iPhone cases

estilley
08-27-2016, 12:26 AM
My fine iPhone 5s was retired yesterday and I upgraded to a 6s. Thinking I should invest in a case for once as the phones have gotten so darn expensive.

Would like something semi water-resistant/sweat proof as it spends many hours in the jersey pocket.

Looking for something on the slimmer side so it still fits in jean pockets easily.

Anyone have a personal favorite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melac1
08-27-2016, 12:55 AM
I'm a fan of the otter box commuter series or the sup case unicorn beetle cases.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jlwdm
08-27-2016, 01:12 AM
I use the 6s in its natural state - without a case. It is better looking without a case and smaller for my pocket, but it is slick.

Jeff

Dead Man
08-27-2016, 02:14 AM
I use the 6s in its natural state - without a case. It is better looking without a case and smaller for my pocket, but it is slick.

Jeff

I traded my wife a 6S for her 6SE so I can use the whole phone with one hand ... And never got a case for it. Several months of sweaty jersey pocket dwelling, even some unprotected mid-ride showers.. it's still a functional phone. As I recall, I sported my old 4s for years with no case, and only got rid of it when I get strava- the gps sucked. Course, a couple months after I got the 5s I just got a garmin.. Oh well.

I kinda think cases might be a little bit of a racket

Unless you plan to sell your phone later, then a case keeps it minty for resale value I spose.. But the phones are pretty durable.

eric01
08-27-2016, 06:25 AM
I stick the phone in a zip lock bag then chuck it into my jersey pocket. Waterproof.

oldpotatoe
08-27-2016, 06:48 AM
My fine iPhone 5s was retired yesterday and I upgraded to a 6s. Thinking I should invest in a case for once as the phones have gotten so darn expensive.

Would like something semi water-resistant/sweat proof as it spends many hours in the jersey pocket.

Looking for something on the slimmer side so it still fits in jean pockets easily.

I got a simple black case from the Apple store..soft-ish rubber, thin, not slick..and I have dropped my phone enough times to see that it's worth the $..very unobtrusive. When riding, into a ziplock..

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MM6F2ZM/A/iphone-6s-plus-silicone-case-apricot?fnode=99

Get a whizbang color..easier to find.

lookout2015
08-27-2016, 06:58 AM

OtterBox Commuter series is on the smaller side for a protective-type case

Whatever case you choose, make sure you can use a glass screen protector with it if you're going to cover the screen. The film protectors kill a lot of the touch responsiveness and the totally enclosed cases (like some of the LifeProof) kill even more responsiveness

oldpotatoe
08-27-2016, 07:00 AM

Whatever case you choose, make sure you can use a glass screen protector with it if you're going to cover the screen. The film protectors kill a lot of the touch responsiveness and the totally enclosed cases (like some of the LifeProof) kill even more responsiveness

Agree..gots one of these also.

dustyrider
08-27-2016, 07:03 AM
Ballistic. Not sure which model, but it was $30ish. I'm hard on my devices, and my phone is still like new after two years. Except for the battery... I've never needed to worry about liquids. The case has taken a beer spill or two, plenty of sweat, survived drops of 6ft and bike wrecks. All without a screen protector. It is a little bulky for certain pockets, but I come from a time when phones didn't have to be in your pocket all the time, so I keep it in a desk or center console when the pants I'm wearing don't accommodate.

Mikej
08-27-2016, 07:17 AM
I look for iphone 5 life proof cases on sale - 40$ is good -you guys who go protection free are crazy...

93legendti
08-27-2016, 07:33 AM
Ballistic. Not sure which model, but it was $30ish. I'm hard on my devices, and my phone is still like new after two years. Expect for the battery... I've never needed to worry about liquids. The case has taken a beer spill or two, plenty of sweat, survived drops of 6ft and bike wrecks. All without a screen protector. It is a little bulky for certain pockets, but I come from a time when phones didn't have to be in your pocket all the time, so I keep it in a desk or center console when the pants I'm wearing don't accommodate.

Ballistic Jewel or Griffin Slim Survivor. I have both. Very, very nice.

Some of the best slim protective cases are UAG, Griffin Survivor Core, Thule x3, Incipio Dual Pro and the Rhinoshield. Glass screen protector is a life saver. Check out mobilereviews.eh

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HHkVAcNklVw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NQntqpu8-YI

estilley
08-27-2016, 08:08 AM
I did go case free on my 5s for its entire life. Worked totally fine from a dropping standpoint but the 6s is a little larger. Would have kept using the 5s but it totally crapped out (held a charge for two hours, turned off whenever you tried to take a picture etc).

Going to look into those ballistic ones and the glass screen protector...

dbnm
08-27-2016, 08:12 AM
I use a Quadlock case on my 6. I use a mount on my bike and have one in my car. It's rock solid and it actually okay to look at.

malcolm
08-27-2016, 08:24 AM
I look for iphone 5 life proof cases on sale - 40$ is good -you guys who go protection free are crazy...

I've been using life proof since they first came out. They are a little bulky but less than otter box. They still fit in my jeans pocket. Best case ever in my opinion. I've had multiple drops and accidental flings across the floor and never a problem. I did have a mtn bike accident with the phone in my camel back and the screen cover was gouged and the rubber lip around the front of the phone was ripped off, camel back destroyed but the phone was fine.

Mud
08-27-2016, 08:49 AM
I use a Quad Lock system with a stem mount on each bike. The case is tough having survived a couple of painful crashes on the mountain bike. Comes with a rain cover.

deechee
08-27-2016, 09:54 AM

There's also a slightly smaller version now, the Symmetry series (http://www.otterbox.com/en-us/iphone-6s-cases). I find it much nicer than the older commuter series (had one for iphone4). It slides easily in and out of your pockets, and has great corner protection. Also adds a bit more grip to the sides of the phone. I can't stand the iphone6 body, its way too slippery.

Likes2ridefar
08-27-2016, 09:59 AM
I use the quad lock as well with an out front type mount that clamps on the bar. Works great.

Villgaxx
08-27-2016, 10:02 AM
I've watched my kid's iphone get dropped, dropped on, fall off, hit the floor, the pavement, a giant rock, but the otterbox defender has kept the phone cherry. I go commando & my phone is fine, too. Ziplock bag for cycling & stuff.

commonguy001
08-27-2016, 10:15 AM
I've been running my 6 with a Lifeproof Nuud and it's pretty sleek for the amount of protection you get. I also have Zagg glass on the screen so the screen is protected but still has a good glass feel. Totally sweat/water proof and you don't need to put it in anything when you ride.

Get it on amazon for way cheaper than retail.

Tickdoc
08-27-2016, 11:05 AM
Simple black belkin. It is super thin, but still offers some decent protection. I used a custom made leather sleeve with my 5, but it was a little inconvenient to pullout of your pocket then pull the phone out if the sleeve.

Awful close to a new iPhone this October. Sure you don't want to wait?

Veloo
08-27-2016, 11:25 AM
I like this system.

http://www.quadlockcase.com/

Ed-B
08-27-2016, 11:55 AM
Another vote for the Quadlock! The case works well for pocket carry, and the bike mount is great. I have bikes with a variety of stem diameters and types, so I bought extra o-rings in various sizes at the hardware store. I just move the mount from bike to bike. I choose the o-rings that work best for the stem on the bike I'm going to ride, and I carry an extra set in my tool bag.

regularguy412
08-27-2016, 01:00 PM
I didn't read all the replies, but here's what works for me.

UAG Urban Armor Gear case and a glass screen protector. The setup is NOT completely waterPROOF, but if you happen to drop it, you won't be sorry you paid $40. It's engineered to a MIL Spec. I also use a small ziploc baggie for waterproofness. I rarely have to actually use my phone on my rides. The case doesn't get in the way of carrying it in a jeans or shorts pocket when off the bike.

MIke in AR:beer:

https://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Feather-Light-Composite-Military-Tested/dp/B00LCAVWBI

Ttx1
08-27-2016, 05:44 PM
Mophie H2Pro.

Waterproof, drop proof, dirt / dust proof... Plus integrated battery extender for all day rides + GPS.

It's the perfect jersey pocket case - like Otter or Lifeproof, plus 2x battery capacity.

I leave it on in season, go back to au naturel for winter...

sitzmark
08-27-2016, 07:15 PM
For everyday I've used Piel Frama flip cases since iP4. Very slim and actually a decent amount of drop protection - license and credit card slots and that's all I carry 99% of the time.

For cycling I used a vacu-seal food saver to make a super slim and snug slip "bag". Little extra length to fold over and viola.... sweat "proof". When I know it's going to be extra soggy I found a lifeproof nud on sale at BestBuy online for $17. How could I pass that up? Should have ordered a few more. Works great - about as minimal as can get and still have H2O protection. Wouldn't swim with it but for a jersey pocket or skiing, etc ... perfect.

SoCalSteve
08-27-2016, 08:30 PM
Incipio Dual

Been using this case for years on my iPhone 6. Slim and very protective.

Good luck!

estilley
08-27-2016, 10:07 PM
Wow so many good options! Well looks like I can't really go wrong.

Just need to figure out the right slimness to protection ratio

oldpotatoe
08-28-2016, 06:39 AM
I've watched my kid's iphone get dropped, dropped on, fall off, hit the floor, the pavement, a giant rock, but the otterbox defender has kept the phone cherry. I go commando & my phone is fine, too. Ziplock bag for cycling & stuff.

Ha!..Funny...:beer:

oldpotatoe
08-28-2016, 06:41 AM
For everyday I've used Piel Frama flip cases since iP4. Very slim and actually a decent amount of drop protection - license and credit card slots and that's all I carry 99% of the time.

For cycling I used a vacu-seal food saver to make a super slim and snug slip "bag". Little extra length to fold over and viola.... sweat "proof". When I know it's going to be extra soggy I found a lifeproof nud on sale at BestBuy online for $17. How could I pass that up? Should have ordered a few more. Works great - about as minimal as can get and still have H2O protection. Wouldn't swim with it but for a jersey pocket or skiing, etc ... perfect.

But does the touch screen work with phone in the bag?

Mikej
08-28-2016, 06:45 AM
I didn't read all the replies, but here's what works for me.

UAG Urban Armor Gear case and a glass screen protector. The setup is NOT completely waterPROOF, but if you happen to drop it, you won't be sorry you paid $40. It's engineered to a MIL Spec. I also use a small ziploc baggie for waterproofness. I rarely have to actually use my phone on my rides. The case doesn't get in the way of carrying it in a jeans or shorts pocket when off the bike.

MIke in AR:beer:

https://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Feather-Light-Composite-Military-Tested/dp/B00LCAVWBI

Cool looking, however, after reviewing several Mil-specs at work, I would be Leary it is an actual Mil-spec - the cost is so prohibitive it would make that case like $700- Plus, not water proof for the Marines!

FierteTi52
08-28-2016, 08:29 AM
Otter box commuter and a tempered glass screen protector