PDA

View Full Version : Richard Branson crashes his bike: 'I thought I was going to die'

Vientomas
08-26-2016, 08:59 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/26/news/richard-branson-bike-crash/index.html

Mr. Pink
08-26-2016, 09:07 AM
I imagine scantily dressed nurses swarming over him right now, attending to his every need, as he smiles that smile. With a little pain.

cdn_bacon
08-26-2016, 09:09 AM
stay tuned for a new line of Virgin helmets

54ny77
08-26-2016, 09:11 AM
ouch.

that dude has lived a life worth living.

bobswire
08-26-2016, 09:16 AM
Speed bumps are dangerous for the unwary.

weisan
08-26-2016, 09:26 AM
Tough dude.

A rare breed.

Kobe
08-26-2016, 09:33 AM
He looks good for 66.

Lewis Moon
08-26-2016, 09:36 AM
Speed bumps are dangerous for the unwary.

Yep. I was doing sprint intervals around one of my favorite enclaves for rich f*c*s, and as I pulled off the circuit and sat up no hands after the last go, I hit an unmarked speed bump (they had just paved). I still remember that crash in slow mo. Broke my collarbone and did damage to one of the nerves to the muscles in my right eye. I had double vision for weeks. In hindsight, I should have sued the pants off the association...but then again, deep pockets means pit bull lawyers. Oh well, I lived and there was minimal damage to the bike.

SeanScott
08-26-2016, 10:37 AM
Minor scratch,
It's just a flesh wound!

I am glad to see he is alright. It is cool he is a cyclist.
Wonder what bike he rides?

akelman
08-26-2016, 10:39 AM
enclaves for rich f*c*s

I wonder how many people on this forum live in one of those communities.

OldCrank
08-26-2016, 12:50 PM
Training for a cool ride:
<<<The Virgin Strive Challenge will see a group of people - including Richard Branson and his children, Holly and Sam - travel from the base of the Matterhorn, more than 2000 kilometres to the summit of Mt Etna in Sicily.>>>

Could not see any photos, or mention of what he rides. Probably not from Target.

I like the olde-fashioned tendency of articles getting more sensational with the pub date - from 'dumped over a speedbump' to 'near-fatal' / 'near-death'.

Anyway good on RB to actually try many activities and sponsor others.

daker13
08-26-2016, 01:04 PM
I'll never forget the monumental douchey-ness that guy projected when he was on Conan O'Brien's show. O'Brien was visibly annoyed.

But kudos to him for finding a comfortable pair of bib shorts--if that was me, I'd be dying to exchange my bibs for a nice airy hospital gown.

Lewis Moon
08-26-2016, 01:15 PM

Not me....I just ride there. To quote St. Francis of Cucamonga, "just knocking the jockeys off the rich people's lawns".

CampyorBust
08-26-2016, 01:29 PM
Just had a quick looksee in the dictionary. Word of the day PIMP...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/Branson_zpsmvabezhd.jpg

Sir Richard certainly is that. Respek :beer:

I bet some have bunkers.

Mr. Pink
08-26-2016, 02:50 PM
He looks good for 66.

Well, not for the next week, at least.

rwsaunders
08-26-2016, 03:30 PM
Wonder what bike he rides?

From a few years back...

SeanScott
08-26-2016, 04:24 PM
ktm road bike - that is pretty alternative

tbike4
08-26-2016, 05:51 PM
Not me....I just ride there. To quote St. Francis of Cucamonga, "just knocking the jockeys off the rich people's lawns".

And all this time I thought it was Frank Zappa's lyrics in Uncle Remus.

"I'll take a drive to Beverly Hills just before dawn
And knock the little jockeys off the rich people's lawn."

jlwdm
08-26-2016, 06:21 PM

Hard to say because what is a rich community is relative. A cheap area in NYC or Silicon Valley would be a rich community in most of the country. It also depends how much money you have.

I find the term rich f***** offensive at any level.

Jeff

fuzzalow
08-26-2016, 06:34 PM
Hard to say because what is a rich community is relative. A cheap area in NYC or Silicon Valley would be a rich community in most of the country. It also depends how much money you have.

I find the term rich f***** offensive at any level.

Jeff

Offensive? Maybe. People gonna say whatever makes 'em feel better about themselves.

Ben Affleck, who plays smarmy-smug better than many actors, some would say that's all he knows how to act ;), has this line from "Boiler Room" which is the best reply in having the term "rich fu*ks" leveled at anyone:
Jim Young: Anybody who tells you money is the root of all evil doesn't f*cking have any.

Lewis Moon
08-26-2016, 06:45 PM
And all this time I thought it was Frank Zappa's lyrics in Uncle Remus.

"I'll take a drive to Beverly Hills just before dawn
And knock the little jockeys off the rich people's lawn."

That's what I said.....

peanutgallery
08-26-2016, 09:54 PM
Running shoes and the angle of the front skewer is painful to observe:)

From a few years back...

Vientomas
08-26-2016, 09:58 PM
Running shoes and the angle of the front skewer is painful to observe:)

Yes...but he is No.1 :p

Web1111a
08-26-2016, 11:27 PM
ktm road bike - that is pretty alternative

Are they really making the carbon bikes in Austria?

berserk87
08-27-2016, 09:35 AM
Just had a quick looksee in the dictionary. Word of the day PIMP...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/Branson_zpsmvabezhd.jpg

Sir Richard certainly is that. Respek :beer:

I bet some have bunkers.

Where can I get a life jacket like that?

Mr. Pink
08-27-2016, 10:20 AM
Yes...but he is No.1 :p

And he's richer than the rest of you b*****s.

fuzzalow
08-27-2016, 12:10 PM
I don't mean to belabor the propensity of some folks to express derision or contempt towards those they perceive as having more money than they. This expression is protected and guaranteed by their First Amendment rights, so have at it - one nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all. Although I might caution them that outward appearances are not always what they seem.

Despite all that said, there is still one, overriding, saving grace to being in the presence of, and being subjected to the rants, raves and rage of the born-again populist, whether it be in the literal or figurative sense.

And that is, at some point, whether it be in the direct company of or through in social media with, we each turn our way to head home. Home meaning where we each exist in our head and/or where we each retreat to in residence. And those locations are never the same for the both of us.

One nation but different worlds.

Kirk007
08-27-2016, 12:51 PM
Great to see anyone riding their bike at 66. Sad to see anyone go down and get hurt. But this social media oversharing world of ours - why post about it and take all the glorious selfies?

Chris
08-27-2016, 12:53 PM
I don't mean to belabor the propensity of some folks to express derision or contempt towards those they perceive as having more money than they. This expression is protected and guaranteed by their First Amendment rights, so have at it - one nation under God, indivisible with liberty and justice for all. Although I might caution them that outward appearances are not always what they seem.

Despite all that said, there is still one, overriding, saving grace to being in the presence of, and being subjected to the rants, raves and rage of the born-again populist, whether it be in the literal or figurative sense.

And that is, at some point, whether it be in the direct company of or through in social media with, we each turn our way to head home. Home meaning where we each exist in our head and/or where we each retreat to in residence. And those locations are never the same for the both of us.

Word. The dude is a bad ass at living life. I admire him.

Mr. Pink
08-27-2016, 08:31 PM

Were you trying to say that you can't take it with you?

CampyorBust
08-27-2016, 08:44 PM
Where can I get a life jacket like that?

Necker Island, apparently boinkin the help is encouraged. $27k a week for a villa, $42k a night for the whole island.

https://youtu.be/FuPQ6VHO_uk

fuzzalow
08-27-2016, 10:36 PM
Were you trying to say that you can't take it with you?

I was thinking more along a train of thought that says we each live within our own bubbles and, to a greater or lesser degree, we view out of these same bubbles and see different things and have different reactions to what we see.

I am never gratified to hear of someone being insulted just on their appearance of money. There's always someone richer, smarter, faster, prettier...and sometimes what is being shown to impress isn't real. Richard Branson is way outta anybody's league. But I harbour no animosity towards him and maybe I can learn something from this guy that is useful to me.

The circle back around to the hate-talk about money: I am currently reading White Trash. The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America (https://www.amazon.com/White-Trash-400-Year-History-America/dp/0670785970) and am not sure yet what effect it will have on my thought process regarding inequality. There are always the conflicts and contradictions in adding to and revising one's own views and values about a topic as far ranging as inequality. Pitting conservatism, capitalism, christian values and morality, to only scratch the surface of a few, of what a tenable position and outlook one might arrive at in outlook on inequality. And refining those thoughts are only the first steps for whatever comes next, if anything.

Meanwhile, we all continue to live in our own bubbles.

oldpotatoe
08-28-2016, 05:58 AM
Great to see anyone riding their bike at 66. Sad to see anyone go down and get hurt. But this social media oversharing world of ours - why post about it and take all the glorious selfies?

Huh..66 ain't old
-65 old rider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGFXGwHsD_A

Kirk007
08-28-2016, 01:50 PM
Huh..66 ain't old
-65 old rider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGFXGwHsD_A

not far behind ya but I dunno about you - most of my peers/colleagues aren't out riding hours on a bike anymore.....