PDA

View Full Version : Other forums vs our own?

Avispa
07-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Who visits/posts on other bike related forums besides our own? What do you think?

I visited a couple of forums yesterday, including the Weight Weenies forum. I must say I was disappointed with the types of replies I saw and some comments were even childish... I know this happens here too, but for the most part, I think we keep our composure....

Let's us know on what others you lurk or post!

spiderlake
07-11-2006, 09:44 AM
About the only other forum I frequent on a regular basis is mmba.org - Michigan Mountain Biking Association (http://www.mmba.org/). Most of the time the forum is a soap opera of sorts but they have any amazing database of trails in Michigan and some really knowledgeable people. If you can get past the flaming and personal attacks then it is a great forum. They have a VERY small road biking forum that doesn't get a ton of threads but I have used it with great results to get routes in various sections of the state.

I visited bicycling's forum a couple of times but talk about a hostile environment. Everyone seems to be on edge there.....

ChrisK
07-11-2006, 09:48 AM
The iBOB list, Classic Rendezvous, and the Kogswell forum are all populated by serious and well informed cyclists and I enjoy posting to and reading them.

Classic Rendezvous in particular is an amazing compendium of knowledge about older bikes with members from all over the world and strict "on-topic" rules.

The Kogswell list occasionally gets some good discussion regarding bike design from industry insiders.

For practical everyday commuters and non-competitive riders the iBOB list is great. It's also great for mechanical tips and solutions.

And my own blog, while not as popular as the lists mentioned above, does get the occasional bit of erudite commentary.

deechee
07-11-2006, 09:56 AM
slowtwitch (http://forum.slowtwitch.com) - Its a triathlon forum but plenty of bike geeks abound. Definitely Cervelo and carbon heavy...

I've definitely been converted since I got my CIII, I really love these "classic" bikes you guys talk about/own. ie. that fixie kirk is gorgeous... most of my friends on the other hand aren't that impressed.

jasont
07-11-2006, 10:03 AM
My only other forum is an offshoot of an Audi forum I used to be on. A few of the old timers put together our own forum to hang out on and shoot the sh*t.

It's a lot like this forum. We have a good group of smart, funny people that make it an excellent time waster.

pdonk
07-11-2006, 10:06 AM
I post on the mtbr forums, nearly exclusively in the vintage retro classic section and the canadian bike section (on brodies and dekerfs)

I read the forums on candiancyclist.com, can't participate due to the politics of sport.

I also am very active on a planning forum

christian
07-11-2006, 10:08 AM
NASIOC.com and Specialstage.com

MartyE
07-11-2006, 11:36 AM
I read CR list but that's not really a forum.
I do read/participate in Bikeforums.net mostly in the classic and
vintage forums, but a bit of all over.
It is a much more diverse forum, with sub forums for fixed/single speed
riders, Road, Track MTB, and a dedicated Tour forum.
For the most part this seems a more sophisticated forum, there is a different
feeling here, maybe more serious despite all of the kidding and nonsense
threads that sometimes show up.
for old bikes, I definately prefer Bike Forums.

Marty

BumbleBeeDave
07-11-2006, 11:54 AM
. . . with other forums. I waste enough time here already! :rolleyes:

and what the heck is THIS?!?! . . .

<< . . . some comments were even childish... I know this happens here too . . . >>

Man, Avispa, are you gonna quit talkin' about me like that, or am I going to have to post those pics I have of you dancing naked on dbrk's kitchen counter at TdFL? . . . :eek:

BBD

saab2000
07-11-2006, 11:59 AM
This is the best forum. I do lurk at www.roadbikereviews.com though. And occaionally at www.cyclingforum.com

znfdl
07-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Bikeforums.net "Long Distance Cycling" sub forum is pretty OK.

rsl
07-11-2006, 12:01 PM
I lurked around bikeforums.net for awhile until I found this forum. I like it much better over here eventhough I'm still mostly a lurker!

saab2000
07-11-2006, 12:06 PM
There is no other forum online where you will learn as much as one will here. The amount of frame/bike knowledge here is not to be beaten anywhere.

And the great thing about it is that it is hosted by another great builder who does not feel the need to censor most opinions. The great builders who post here have respect for Serotta and Serotta bikes and that says a lot for me. I bought a Serotta based on what I learned here and it has been a terrific bike.

To hear Mr. Round, Mr. ATMO, Mr. CPG, Mr. Kirk, Mr. DWF, Mr. Hampsten, et al give their opinions about various things and have them still heap praises on Serotta bikes means a lot in my eyes. Nowhere else will you get the kind of knowledge you will find here.

I once did hear of this place referred to as a bunch of old geezers who mostly care about lugged steel frames.

victoryfactory
07-11-2006, 12:10 PM
I can't understand why Kahuna's forums don't get more
traffic*.
As many here know he was the original.... well... Kahuna
here at the Serotta forum and did a lot of the admin work in the old days.

He's got a nice forum which is broken down into catagories like Calfee
owners, etc. and also a general cat.

I check it out and post occasionally, I think it should be mentioned. It seems
that some of the catagories get reasonable traffic, and some get none.
*It's possible that there are too many catagories, maybe that's the problem.

Check it out,
http://www.bikefanclub.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/Cat/0

VF

BumbleBeeDave
07-11-2006, 12:11 PM
That's IT! It's GO time!

Carbon fiber walking canes at 20 yards!

Just give me a few minutes to get out of this chair and put in my teeth and I'll show YOU!

BBD, aka "Gramps"

Elefantino
07-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Not to sound like an *ss kisser, but I like this forum better than all others mentioned.

Often funny, often serious, great advice, plus e-Richie and Dave Kirk.

Plus all the other notables.

rePhil
07-11-2006, 12:21 PM
I visited a couple of forums yesterday, including the Weight Weenies forum. I must say I was disappointed with the types of replies I saw and some comments were even childish... I know this happens here too, but for the most part, I think we keep our composure....

I got a chuckle out of the childish comment. I read the same amount, if not more, childish posts here as any other bike group. Some of it has been disappointing but hey, thats life.
I like: http://www.cyclingforum.com

bcm119
07-11-2006, 12:21 PM
I occasionally skim through Slowtwitch; there are often many folks with tightly twisted panties over there, which makes for interesting reading. I've posted a few times on roadbikereview, but there is way too much fluff to wade through to get to the occasional good thread.

I'm a semi-active beeradvocate.com forumite too.

swoop
07-11-2006, 12:42 PM
other forums make your a** look bigger. oh and i think the phrase is 'lughumpers'.. as in, ya'll here are a bunch of lughumpers.

Ti Designs
07-11-2006, 03:04 PM
I got a chuckle out of the childish comment. I read the same amount, if not more, childish posts here as any other bike group.

DO NOT!!! (guess that works better for 5 year olds)

I'm somewhat turned off by internet forums. My trust in anyone's opinion is based on my respect of that person - I know a few people from the list, but the real life interaction is minimal. I've suggested local rides a number of times, if it's not some big event with T shirts or brewery sponsorship, nobody is interested. I'm keeping a balance in my cycling life, 2% internet, 1% equipment maintainance, 97% riding my bike.

SoCalSteve
07-11-2006, 04:25 PM
There is no other forum online where you will learn as much as one will here. The amount of frame/bike knowledge here is not to be beaten anywhere.

And the great thing about it is that it is hosted by another great builder who does not feel the need to censor most opinions. The great builders who post here have respect for Serotta and Serotta bikes and that says a lot for me. I bought a Serotta based on what I learned here and it has been a terrific bike.

To hear Mr. Round, Mr. ATMO, Mr. CPG, Mr. Kirk, Mr. DWF, Mr. Hampsten, et al give their opinions about various things and have them still heap praises on Serotta bikes means a lot in my eyes. Nowhere else will you get the kind of knowledge you will find here.

I once did hear of this place referred to as a bunch of old geezers who mostly care about lugged steel frames.

Dont forget about Mr. Nick Crumpton. He lurks on here as well.

Steve

72gmc
07-11-2006, 05:05 PM
i like the commuting/touring forum over at rbr. some good folks hang out there and it's a nice supportive group (with some excellent pics). otherwise i'm just here. more than i probably should be.

alancw3
07-11-2006, 06:59 PM
i post to http://www.bikeforums.net/. they have a good bike mechanics as well as road bike and vintage sections. seem like a very knowledgable group of people. i have learned alot from the bike mechanics section. sheldon brown posts to this forum frequently.

55/Rad
07-11-2006, 07:50 PM
I've been known to post once or twice over at bikeforums.net. I do like the diversity and there is a general good group over there from beginners to seasoned vets and industry folks. Plus I don't mind mixing it up once in awhile.

Here, the band is narrower with an emphasis toward the top - the responses are often more sophisticated and clever. It's a bit more civilized...I wouldn't necessarily say it's better but it is different in a great way.

Unless of course, the topic is paintjobs or advertising - then ya'all are knuckleheads.

:D

55/Rad

1centaur
07-12-2006, 05:24 AM
I read lots of forums - they all offer something different. This one is more mature because we're more mature - 17-year-olds would not enjoy a lot of what we do. But weightweenies sometimes is stunningly good and fast with industry information, though clearly not interested in steel bikes. I'll also mention the fairwheelbikes.com forum as a variant on the weightweenies theme. The Bicycling pro race forum is a good spot for that topic and has had long and knowledgable postings on doping technicalities mixed into thoughts on rider form from perceptive people. Bikeforums.net wins the diversity and volume award; roadbikereview is close; bikefanclub is best for the gallery and Calfee fans, probably because a lot of folks have not been there.

William
07-12-2006, 06:07 AM
Yeah baby. That's it. As I pour a glass of fine red vino, you start to un-button your blouse....the tempo of the music pulsing in the background starts to rise as you reach for the last button.....Doh!!

Sorry folks, wrong forum....!!!! :eek:

William ;)

PS: I only have time for this forum. Really, I don't frequent other...ah....forums. Nope, not at all.

atmo
07-12-2006, 06:48 AM
I've been known to post once or twice over at bikeforums.net. I do like the diversity and there is a general good group over there from beginners to seasoned vets and industry folks. Plus I don't mind mixing it up once in awhile.

Here, the band is narrower with an emphasis toward the top - the responses are often more sophisticated and clever. It's a bit more civilized...I wouldn't necessarily say it's better but it is different in a great way.

Unless of course, the topic is paintjobs or advertising - then ya'all are knuckleheads.

:D

55/Rad

you bad bad q.r. skewer you atmo.

Serpico
07-12-2006, 09:09 AM

atmo
07-12-2006, 09:30 AM
i hear ya' bud.
the universe is expanding atmo.

erty65
07-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Who visits/posts on other bike related forums besides our own? What do you think?

There are many teens on the weightweenies forum, people here are old!