PDA

View Full Version : Commuting, Day 2

TimB
07-11-2006, 08:13 AM
Hey - I'm back online...settling in to my new job and new home in NC, and finally all the utilities are set up too. Long story, but the short version is the former owner of our house never got around to diconnecting her cable service, so finally the set ours up, only to disconnect it the next day as per the former owner's request. Hmph. Somebody needs a better record-keeping system.

On the other hand, I began my second week of work with my first commute by bicycle. Approx 6.4 miles each way, about 25 minutes including traffic lights. The traffic on my route is - moderate by DC standards, but 'awful' according to my new co-workers. The cars seems uniformly well-behaved though, most attempt to give me a wide bearth. Except that I've decided most folks don't seem to know the dimensions or lane position of their cars very well. Lots of them seem to prefer to pass me 2 feet to the left and maintain 5 feet between them and the cars to their left (travelling in the same direction).

As a test, I rode the Gunnar fixie last weekend on the route - it's workable, but not very pleasant. The entire route is nothing but up and down big rolling hills. Maybe when I get back into better shape that will be an option. For now, I'm riding the Ritchey with my new Timbuk2 "Underground" backpack. Seems ideal.

Long-term, I'm thinking Novara Element - http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47972898&parent_category_rn=40004203 - for my commuter. Price is about what I'd hoped, and the geometry is good for me (a 54cm c-c ST has a 53.5 cm TT). The disc brakes will be great for rain and such, and I can upgrade parts as they wear.

Basically, I'm just grooving on being able to bike to work in less than half the time it used to take me to drive!

Too Tall
07-11-2006, 09:09 AM
GREAT news Timmy. You rawk. We miss you alot.
Don't forget anti-peril glasses.