PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know Time frames ?

DfCas
08-25-2016, 11:24 AM
They have have a myriad of similar sounding letter names, and I've been trying to figure out the difference. I know the the VXRS had an integrated seatpost and the bottom bracket corrosion problem, but the VXR had no integrated seatpost and I don't think it had the corrosion problem. The other letter names are a mystery to me, up to the ZXRS.

I _think_ I want a used VXR but correct me if I'm wrong.

FlashUNC
08-25-2016, 11:27 AM
Pretty much any Time frame. They're stellar stuff.

If I ever get another carbon road frame, it'll be a time.

The VXR I had was phenomenal.

vqdriver
08-25-2016, 12:01 PM
time called the integrated seatmast 'translink' for that generation of frames.
as far as the letter designations go, you'd have to dig into their sales literature from that period, but those lugged carbon times are awesome. mine is the only one that hasn't been rotated out of my garage.

sales guy
08-25-2016, 12:26 PM
To the OP...

What would you like to know specifically?

I have 3 of them-my first two were the very first two brought into the US.

And yes, you are correct about the BB corrosion issue on the VXRS. And for some odd reason, NOT the VXR. Or the other ones for that matter. And yes, the "translink" is what they call their integrated seatpost.

They all read incredibly well. Very stable-at speed and no handed. Comfortable. Take some serious abuse-I ran mine into a metal carport without damaging the frames. Good looking and fit well. An overall excellent package.

What would you like to know?

RedRider
08-25-2016, 12:26 PM
Time are the best frames that nobody knows...
Handmade entirely in France they even weave their own carbon fiber. Innovative engineering and tube shapes. Unfortunately, they do very little marketing in the US. Ride one and you will be a fan.

54ny77
08-25-2016, 12:38 PM
super cool stuff .

http://road.cc/content/feature/76753-inside-time

El Chaba
08-25-2016, 12:44 PM
The BB on the VXRS was a carbon shell with a threaded aluminum insert. The VXR had a different all aluminum shell. Does anybody know if Time will fix the corroded BB's?

RedRider
08-25-2016, 01:34 PM
The BB on the VXRS was a carbon shell with a threaded aluminum insert. The VXR had a different all aluminum shell. Does anybody know if Time will fix the corroded BB's?

We've had great experience with Time and their dealer support. Have you contacted the bike shop that sold it to you?

sales guy
08-25-2016, 02:10 PM
My VXRS never got repaired. Time France offered to fix it IF I sent it to France on my expense. Which given it is an XL frame and an ISP, the cost for shipping would have been huge. I figured it out once, almost $1600 round trip. A complete waste of money.

So I had contacted Ruckus in Oregon about replacing it with a Paragon TI shell and they butchered a friends frame, so they sent mine back. I don't trust them given how badly they f'ed my buddies up.

But I have not gotten the greatest of service from them.

paredown
08-25-2016, 02:20 PM
My VXRS never got repaired. Time France offered to fix it IF I sent it to France on my expense. Which given it is an XL frame and an ISP, the cost for shipping would have been huge. I figured it out once, almost $1600 round trip. A complete waste of money.

So I had contacted Ruckus in Oregon about replacing it with a Paragon TI shell and they butchered a friends frame, so they sent mine back. I don't trust them given how badly they f'ed my buddies up.

Am I mis-remembering. or did someone on the board get a corroded Time BB fixed at Calfee?

I have been interested in Time for a while. mostly because of the positive feedback here--and have come close to buying. On my list of frames to try.

dave thompson
08-25-2016, 02:23 PM
I've had both a Time VXR and a Look 585. Pretty close to each other on feel and performance, both great bikes.

DfCas
08-25-2016, 02:38 PM
To the OP...

What would you like to know specifically?

I have 3 of them-my first two were the very first two brought into the US.

And yes, you are correct about the BB corrosion issue on the VXRS. And for some odd reason, NOT the VXR. Or the other ones for that matter. And yes, the "translink" is what they call their integrated seatpost.

They all read incredibly well. Very stable-at speed and no handed. Comfortable. Take some serious abuse-I ran mine into a metal carport without damaging the frames. Good looking and fit well. An overall excellent package.

What would you like to know?

I'm most interested in ride qualities and which models are preferred. If ride characteristics are the same I would prefer not to get a translink, but if theres one that excels and is a translink I'll consider it. Obviously I don't want to deal with a VXRS corrosion problem.

sales guy
08-25-2016, 02:40 PM
Ooops....Forgot I picked up a Pulse + a couple years ago.
Similar to the VXR.

As for the repairs, yeah, i know people can get them repaired. But I never did it.

Keith A
08-25-2016, 02:46 PM
I've had both a Time VXR and a Look 585. Pretty close to each other on feel and performance, both great bikes.I currently have both of these and as Dave said, they are both great bikes...but I like the ride of Time over the Look.

SoCalSteve
08-25-2016, 04:12 PM

Please explain. More detail. I have a frame at Ruckus now. Would like to know more. If you are not comfortable sharing in public, please send me a PM....Thanks!

wildboar
08-25-2016, 05:33 PM
Obviously I don't want to deal with a VXRS corrosion problem.

Remember the VXRS was so good they brought it back as the Bettini limited edition last year.

My VXRS 2009 World Star and 2006 Ulteam (mediums) both look like this:

https://media.trillian.im/media/?m=aW1hZ2UvanBnLDkwMCwxNjAwLDTOCPtCXyoPe3fYodSuyqu J3OGWn6B5LjTex27mXYX0

sales guy
08-25-2016, 05:34 PM
SoCal,

I don't mind sharing. In fact when Ruckus posted stuff on BikeRumor, I replied and Graham made Tyler pull it all down. It is what it is.

Anyways, I had my Time and my friends frame sent to them. Mine, bb shell replaced for corrosion. His, BB insert was loose in a carbon frame. Should've been a super quick and easy fix. Here's what happened...

They did the repair. But when they sent it back, they butchered the paint job. Now, this frame had ZERO damage to the paint. It was brand new. Had it a year and very little riding. Winter came and it had a 7700 BB with the loose bearings so I wanted to pull it and make sure there was no issues and the shell spun.

So we sent it back, mine at the same time. I sent them by Paragon Ti shell to use in mine.

When they sent it back, the top tube, down tube, head tube, stays all had scratches or worse. In some of the areas, like they had no reason to be near with a sander!!! They were working on the BB. Yet there were gouges in the downtube near the head tube. It made no sense. Then, they was was black over spray all over it as well.

So I took pictures and emailed Shawn and Graham. They apologized and said they don't know how it got thru QC like that. I said, well it has polishing compound on it still so clearly someone saw it and thought it was ok to leave that way.

I sent it back and they said they would make it right.

I end up getting it returned to me with more overspray, spray of other colors in certain areas(where that color wasn't) and a haze over the whole frame. It still had some scratches on it too.

So I emailed them and sent them pictures again of the damage.

With a few email exchanges they ended up saying that the frame was causing them much heartache and pain and stress and they couldn't continue with it. Seriously. That cause they did a crap job, they didn't want to continue fixing the problem THEY MADE!!!

I have pictures of all of this and the emails too. And pictures of the frame BEFORE they "fixed" it. So you can see it was mint before. And after, it was destroyed. My buddy had to do a repaint which cost $1200. Add into that the frame repair, shipping 4 times(2 to them and 2 back to us). It was almost $2000 foe a simple BB shell repair.

I still have the emails and pictures from this whole thing. The company who made the frame blamed us and wouldn't take care of the problem.

Personally, I will never deal with them again. Even if they were the last repair place on Earth. Horrible experience. My buddy is still livid over it.

I can post pictures and the emails if anyone wants to read it.

SoCalSteve
08-25-2016, 05:57 PM
Thanks Sales Guy!

I'll post my experience with them when I have my frame back and all is said and done.

sales guy
08-25-2016, 06:04 PM
No worries.

Honestly, I wouldn't even bring it up except how they left it with me. I mean, they literally said it was causing too much stress internally and they couldn't handle it. It was the craziest thing I'd ever heard!

Good luck with your repair and hope it goes well.

sales guy
08-25-2016, 06:08 PM
here is my VXRS. 2009 model year.

livingminimal
08-25-2016, 06:12 PM
I think the Time VXR was historically a pretty noodly bike?

I bought one from Eric but moved it on as quickly as I got it, and unfortunately lost 100 bucks. Just couldn't get over the reviews of its squishiness.

I'd still buy a stiff time, and I really really want a Look someday.

edit: maybe it was the VXRS. I don't remember. I think it was though. Im all over the place today. Like Trump on immigration.

cadence90
08-25-2016, 06:24 PM
I have never owned one, but would love to. This is one of the most beautiful bicycles I have ever seen. Paint by Calfee. 100% stunning.

herb5998: 2009 Time VXR Proteam (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=185995)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1570/26581471061_0d17b1b151_c.jpg

FlashUNC
08-25-2016, 06:24 PM
I think the Time VXR was historically a pretty noodly bike?

I bought one from Eric but moved it on as quickly as I got it, and unfortunately lost 100 bucks. Just couldn't get over the reviews of its squishiness.

I'd still buy a stiff time, and I really really want a Look someday.

edit: maybe it was the VXRS. I don't remember. I think it was though. Im all over the place today. Like Trump on immigration.

The VXR I rode was a lot of things, but it wasn't a noodle.

El Chaba
08-25-2016, 06:35 PM
We've had great experience with Time and their dealer support. Have you contacted the bike shop that sold it to you?

I have a VXRS, but thankfully it does not have the corrosion problem....also, I do not find it to be a noodle by any stretch.....size small....

Keith A
08-25-2016, 06:35 PM
The VXR I rode was a lot of things, but it wasn't a noodle.Completely agree on this point...mine is a medium and is not a noodle at all.

livingminimal
08-25-2016, 06:48 PM
Completely agree on this point...mine is a medium and is not a noodle at all.

Yeah you guys are right. mine was a VXRS.

dave thompson
08-25-2016, 06:50 PM
I have a VXRS, but thankfully it does not have the corrosion problem....

My VXR certainly wasn't in any way a noodle. I weigh 90 kilo and was very happy with the snappy response and comfortable ride.

wildboar
08-25-2016, 07:46 PM
Yeah you guys are right. mine was a VXRS.

So you never actually built it up and just sold it?

sales guy
08-25-2016, 09:46 PM
none of mine are noodles at all. Im 6'3 and 240#s. Mine are all XL/60cm frames

one60
08-25-2016, 10:13 PM
I purchased a TIME ZXRS ( 2015 final model year) which has now been supplanted with the Skylon. Its a phenomenal bike that is comfortable to ride all day but also plenty stiff (whatever that means), responsive and so on. Everything you could want in a race-ready rig.

I cannot explain what it is about this frameset but its a very special bike. I have a high end Ti bike and several different steel bikes (including a MAX tubed bike) and had a LOOK KG381i but the TIME is the bike that tests my fitness the most & always leaves me smiling. (Perhaps this is why so few used TIME bikes show up for sale?)

There aren't too many TIME dealers in the US but the folks at Contenders in Salt Lake were very helpful & knowledgeable. Pez Cycling has done reviews of TIME bikes in the past. Maybe Charles has insights? If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me and I will help as best I can.

dpk501
08-25-2016, 11:02 PM
I'd be interested. I was thinking about having them repair a shell too.

SoCal,

I don't mind sharing. In fact when Ruckus posted stuff on BikeRumor, I replied and Graham made Tyler pull it all down. It is what it is.

Anyways, I had my Time and my friends frame sent to them. Mine, bb shell replaced for corrosion. His, BB insert was loose in a carbon frame. Should've been a super quick and easy fix. Here's what happened...

They did the repair. But when they sent it back, they butchered the paint job. Now, this frame had ZERO damage to the paint. It was brand new. Had it a year and very little riding. Winter came and it had a 7700 BB with the loose bearings so I wanted to pull it and make sure there was no issues and the shell spun.

So we sent it back, mine at the same time. I sent them by Paragon Ti shell to use in mine.

When they sent it back, the top tube, down tube, head tube, stays all had scratches or worse. In some of the areas, like they had no reason to be near with a sander!!! They were working on the BB. Yet there were gouges in the downtube near the head tube. It made no sense. Then, they was was black over spray all over it as well.

So I took pictures and emailed Shawn and Graham. They apologized and said they don't know how it got thru QC like that. I said, well it has polishing compound on it still so clearly someone saw it and thought it was ok to leave that way.

I sent it back and they said they would make it right.

I end up getting it returned to me with more overspray, spray of other colors in certain areas(where that color wasn't) and a haze over the whole frame. It still had some scratches on it too.

So I emailed them and sent them pictures again of the damage.

With a few email exchanges they ended up saying that the frame was causing them much heartache and pain and stress and they couldn't continue with it. Seriously. That cause they did a crap job, they didn't want to continue fixing the problem THEY MADE!!!

I have pictures of all of this and the emails too. And pictures of the frame BEFORE they "fixed" it. So you can see it was mint before. And after, it was destroyed. My buddy had to do a repaint which cost $1200. Add into that the frame repair, shipping 4 times(2 to them and 2 back to us). It was almost $2000 foe a simple BB shell repair.

I still have the emails and pictures from this whole thing. The company who made the frame blamed us and wouldn't take care of the problem.

Personally, I will never deal with them again. Even if they were the last repair place on Earth. Horrible experience. My buddy is still livid over it.

I can post pictures and the emails if anyone wants to read it.

fogrider
08-25-2016, 11:43 PM
I've had both a Time VXR and a Look 585. Pretty close to each other on feel and performance, both great bikes.

I have the VXRS Ulteam and I've ridden the Look 585, they ride very differently. some of the ride difference have to do with the way they were setup but the Look has a more insulating feel while the Time's ride feels more snappy. My VXRS thankfully does not have BB problem, if I remember right the problems were in the earlier ones and they corrected the issue in the later models. if you ran across one today, and the BB looks good, it should be good to go.

And the VXRS was the race model and was lightest model used by the pro team.

Keith A
08-26-2016, 07:54 AM
One of the things I like about the VXR compared to the 585 is the geometry. In my size (medium), the Time has a steeper HTA and slacker STA, which I prefer. Here's a chart of both geometries...

Time VXR
http://www.wrenchscience.com/DBImages/Geometry/Time_VX_Geometry.jpg

Look 585
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv254/village19/Geometry-Look-585orUlt.gif

weisan
08-26-2016, 08:15 AM
. wrong thread.

livingminimal
08-26-2016, 08:57 AM
So you never actually built it up and just sold it?

Yeah moved it on. Decided I didn't want to commit to yet another bike, but all the reviews I saw (keep in mind, I think this was a 2011 model?) said people were literally seeing the frame move under them. Loads of people. Good people. The best people.

LegendRider
08-26-2016, 10:25 AM
Here's the VXRS corrosion thread from a while back.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=136990&highlight=time+vxrs+corrosion

There are pics of my frame in there. Short version: Wasn't the original owner so Time wouldn't warranty it; too expensive to fix in France or elsewhere; Nic Crumpton said there wasn't much to worry about; slathered the bottom bracket shell with grease and reinstalled everything; still have the bike.

sales guy
08-26-2016, 12:17 PM
people were literally seeing the frame move under them. Loads of people. Good people. The best people.

lol!!!!

weisan
08-26-2016, 03:13 PM
people were literally seeing the frame move under them. Loads of people. Good people. The best people.

lol!!!!

Hey why you laughing....it's entirely possible. Just depends what is really underneath them.

http://www.star2.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/collage-770x470.jpg

DfCas
08-26-2016, 03:15 PM
Are the RXR and NXR similar to the VXR except for the translink?

one60
08-26-2016, 07:05 PM
Yeah moved it on. Decided I didn't want to commit to yet another bike, but all the reviews I saw (keep in mind, I think this was a 2011 model?) said people were literally seeing the frame move under them. Loads of people. Good people. The best people.

Are we to understand you are offering advice on the ride quality of a bike you never rode?

As I understand it, Tom Boonen is credited with suggesting the top tube of the VXRS was too flexy for his liking. However, that did not hinder his winning Paris-Roubaix, the Tour of Belgium, the Tour of Flanders and the World Championship in 2005.

Apologies for the snark...just couldn't let that one go unanswered

sales guy
08-26-2016, 08:38 PM
Are the RXR and NXR similar to the VXR except for the translink?

They are very different. Different shapes and everything. The sizings are pretty similar tho. They always have been since they started. I have a friend who has one-an RXR and loves it. Said its the fastest bike he's ever owned. And he's owned a few. It's also his last and main ride he has. He's a former bike biz guy so he's had access to everything.

herb5998
08-27-2016, 11:00 AM
I've got a VXR proteam, and a 2013 Lemond (Time Produced) Frame. Both are different, but the two best carbon bikes I've ridden. Very good blend of qualities, and the production quality is very high.

bitpuddle
08-27-2016, 09:21 PM
I've got a VXR proteam, and a 2013 Lemond (Time Produced) Frame.

I regret not buying one of those Time Lemonds. So nice.

herb5998
08-27-2016, 09:22 PM
Yeah, a nice combo, front end is the NXS frame, rear is a ZXRS, made for a good package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk