PDA

View Full Version : Is this a dumb idea?

icepick_trotsky
08-24-2016, 01:33 PM
I have an otherwise nice pair of Cinelli Giro d'Italia bars that got bent in a low speed crash.

Is it possible to bend them back or would the rebend weaken the aluminum too much and make them unsafe to ride?

AngryScientist
08-24-2016, 01:39 PM
yup bad idea. aluminum shouldnt be bent back. toss 'em

MattTuck
08-24-2016, 01:42 PM
To amuse our curiosity, try to donate them to a local engineering college, to do some testing on. It would be interesting to see (presuming the bend is on one side) whether the failure point would be significantly different between the two sides.

Birddog
08-24-2016, 02:13 PM
They might work as a starter kit for an artsy wind chime.

Hindmost
08-24-2016, 02:19 PM
The bend is usually located at the end of the center sleeve. Rebending=bad idea.

We used to just continue riding them. When you crashed on the other side the bars became symmetrical again. Back then we were younger, poorer, and ______ (insert adjective here).

Tickdoc
08-24-2016, 05:16 PM
Bike hanger yo....
http://photo.foter.com/photos/pi/336/diy-handlebar-bike-rack.jpg

FlashUNC
08-24-2016, 05:22 PM
Depends, how much do you want to visit your oral or orthopedic surgeon?

nesteel
08-24-2016, 05:26 PM
Is this a stupid idea?

If you have to ask that; it probably is.

Frankwurst
08-24-2016, 06:01 PM
Is it possible to bend them back or would the rebend weaken the aluminum too much and make them unsafe to ride?

Yes and yes.:beer:

rodcad
08-24-2016, 07:53 PM
I'll never understand why people on this forum try to fix this type of thing or fix tires with sidewall issues. Really? Or buy a custom $4000 frame and put 105 or Athena on it. Or advertise wanting to buy something you can easily go buy for $50. Don't mean to offend...sorry if I do.

Cicli
08-24-2016, 08:22 PM
I'll never understand why people on this forum try to fix this type of thing or fix tires with sidewall issues. Really? Or buy a custom $4000 frame and put 105 or Athena on it. Or advertise wanting to buy something you can easily go buy for $50. Don't mean to offend...sorry if I do.

What difference does it make?
Creates discussion.

kramnnim
08-24-2016, 08:34 PM
Might be good prep for riding in the Vuelta. Just ask Lopez or Kiserlovski...

bicycletricycle
08-24-2016, 09:50 PM
It would be wrong to say that any bending of any alloy bar is automatically unsafe. Less safe but not automatically unsafe.

After all, bars are bent into shape in the first place, many are not heat treated afterwards.

Early dirt drops were made by bending regular bars

Old cinelli bars are very thick, I bet a little bit if straightening will b okay, for regular (no touring , tandem, cx , etc) use.

I would just get another set but might try this on something hard to find or on a bike I rarely ride.

Iansir
08-25-2016, 12:49 AM
I have an otherwise nice pair of Cinelli Giro d'Italia bars that got bent in a low speed crash.

I can weigh in as a structural engineer that this is a terrible idea. Replace.

cat6
08-25-2016, 01:58 AM
To amuse our curiosity, try to donate them to a local engineering college, to do some testing on. It would be interesting to see (presuming the bend is on one side) whether the failure point would be significantly different between the two sides.

Yes I imagine all of those hard working students want to put aside their work and research to "test" some bent bars. :confused:

I think OP should send them to the Hydraulic Press Channe (Hydraulic Press Channel)l

bikingshearer
08-25-2016, 04:02 AM
It would be wrong to say that any bending of any alloy bar is automatically unsafe. Less safe but not automatically unsafe.

After all, bars are bent into shape in the first place, many are not heat treated afterwards.

Early dirt drops were made by bending regular bars

Old cinelli bars are very thick, I bet a little bit if straightening will b okay, for regular (no touring , tandem, cx , etc) use.

I would just get another set but might try this on something hard to find or on a bike I rarely ride.

Excellent points.

But I still wouldn't trust the bent bars on anything other than a "wall hanger only" bike. Simply not worth the risk. (Especially at my size.)

rustychisel
08-25-2016, 04:46 AM
Old Cinelli bars are also thicker gauge because they're not particularly good alloy, and the chance of them folding up on the sleeve is very real.

CampyorBust
08-25-2016, 08:18 AM
I would hang em, from a wall that is and with a saddle, friends should hang together. Shucks now that I think about it I do have a 3T forma aluminum bar listed in the classifieds that is a little bent. I will remove it.

Ken Robb
08-25-2016, 11:20 AM
I value my face, such as it is, too much to ride with any cockpit component that is suspect. It's one thing to bend aluminum to shape when manufacturing an item but bending it a second time seems very risky.

mg2ride
08-25-2016, 11:29 AM
depending on where they bent you might be able to cut them down and flip them to make some bull horns. Otherwise, **** can them.

bicycletricycle
08-25-2016, 06:47 PM
It's just as likely that the thick wall was needed because of the older bending technology . Perhaps a "lower grade" softer alloy would take better to bending back anyways? Perhaps slower to work harden?

We need some kind of scientist

Old Cinelli bars are also thicker gauge because they're not particularly good alloy, and the chance of them folding up on the sleeve is very real.

Pegoready
08-25-2016, 07:56 PM

Haha, agreed. There is a certain hilarious undercurrent of thriftiness on this forum that is both appealing and nauseating.

Bending aluminum bars... no thanks. Don't just toss them. Cut them in half so no one else tries to use them.

Ken Robb
08-25-2016, 09:21 PM
Haha, agreed. There is a certain hilarious undercurrent of thriftiness on this forum that is both appealing and nauseating.

Bending aluminum bars... no thanks. Don't just toss them. Cut them in half so no one else tries to use them.
I've had this thought myself but to be fair if a person can save some $$$ on consumables maybe he can spend more on excellent stuff elsewhere? OTOH patching sidewall cuts on a $6,000 bike does seem a bit penny wise/pound foolish.