PDA

View Full Version : Why is Floyd's hip news greeted with a yawn?

Elefantino
07-11-2006, 06:16 AM
Looking over various Euro sites, it seems that Landis' hip leak and announcement over the last couple of days has not resonated with the across-the-pond media.

It's as if — and, admittedly, this is conspiracy theory here — many reporters are weary of yet another American-overcoming-health-adversity story and just don't care all that much. Or, perhaps, Landis has not proven himself worthy of notice until he does something Tour-wise.

And, actually, it hasn't really lit up this board, either. I wonder why. This is an incredible thing. I think we all knew Landis was tough; we just didn't know to what extent.

Perhaps, if he wins, his story will join those of Armstrong and LeMond and maybe he'll even make Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of the Year. (Although Zidane might have the inside track. :rolleyes: )

Until then, it seems as though his story is a curiosity, nothing more.

Too Tall
07-11-2006, 06:21 AM
these things have a gestation period.

You've got a point regards worldwide press views of "yet another yank in pain story".

PS - LOVE the Floyd, local kid made good :)

classic1
07-11-2006, 06:24 AM
Its only a flesh wound.

atmo
07-11-2006, 06:27 AM
in pondering this, i wondered if racing in a drug-free
era will or should encompass folks using parts that are
not their own atmo. somewhere i read that he rides at
80% now due to the condition - or perhaps i misconstrued
that. an operation will possibly make him pain free. it may
allow him to race better. brave new world.

BarryG
07-11-2006, 06:35 AM
Floyd should release a hip x-ray to the press (but he wouldn't) - I bet that would blow quite a few minds. Yup TT, you gotta love the Floyd.

Ray
07-11-2006, 06:44 AM
I think the Europeans in general and French specifically are just a little bit sick of Americans winning their grant event. After the last seven years, they were really looking forward to Jan or Ivan or someone else from that side of the pond bringing the glory back. When they see Floyd in something of a driver's seat (granted, it's very very early, but he certainly has as good a shot as anyone and better than most as of NOW), they're probably thinking along the lines of "oh no, here we go again....". Then this story just makes it seem almost inevitable that he'll win, because that's what Yanks do - they're all the time fighting through some horrendous circumstance and STILL kicking butt all over France. So the "here we go again" reaction grows even stronger. That, and the shady circumstances of this whole Tour probably create a little bit of news fatigue about the whole thing.

They loved Tyler when he rode in pain, but he was never gonna win the Tour, so he was easy to love. If Floyd gets hammered in the mountains and drops a few places, he may yet become a French hero. But if he stays on top and wins, fuggetaboutit.

We'll love him over here though. It's just what we do.

-Ray

BumbleBeeDave
07-11-2006, 06:50 AM
. . . I am in stunned disbelief that he has hidden it so well up to now and is doing so well this year despite (now) obviously being in constant pain. I don't think they are even allowed to take aspirin during the Tour, are they? If not, that makes it all the more amazing. That dude must be HURTIN'!

But I also look at this a bit cynically after seeing so much of it. It's hard to come up with a "competitor overcomes adversity" story better then Lance's unless you can find someone who actively came back from the dead and climbed out of the grave to climb on their bike.

The TV people unfortunately do this with other sports, too. I've never seen any TV Ironman coverage that didn't interrupt the actual race (which can be kinda boring, I do admit) for some sappy human interest feature about an entrant with diabetes, or an entrant with one leg, or an entrant who's 65 yet pushes his kid with cerebral palsy the whole distance of the race in a wheelchair (that's a real one--not making it up!).

After a while you just get compassion fatigue and start yawning. That's not to degrade in any way what these people actually HAVE overcome, but the TV guys run them into the ground (not literally).

BBD

JohnS
07-11-2006, 07:19 AM
Maybe they think that it's all headgames. "Geez, look at Floyd, he's only at 80% and he's keeping up with us!"

Tom
07-11-2006, 07:20 AM
Some basketball player gets a sore toe and doesn't play for a while. I think there's a backlash: how big a deal can riding a bike be if you can do it on one leg?

Now if he had an ailment having to to with his digestive tract like chronic constipation or explosive farting or uncontrollable bowel movements, Americans would notice because most of the tubs of lard you see all around you can only relate to that kind of thing. Actual injuries because of activity? They can't relate.

catulle
07-11-2006, 07:44 AM
Why unveil the "secret" just now? Too many heroic stories with dubious ends on TV and the Internet have made us leery.

J.Greene
07-11-2006, 07:48 AM
Looking over various Euro sites, it seems that Landis' hip leak and announcement over the last couple of days has not resonated with the across-the-pond media.

It's as if — and, admittedly, this is conspiracy theory here — many reporters are weary of yet another American-overcoming-health-adversity story and just don't care all that much. Or, perhaps, Landis has not proven himself worthy of notice until he does something Tour-wise.

And, actually, it hasn't really lit up this board, either. I wonder why. This is an incredible thing. I think we all knew Landis was tough; we just didn't know to what extent.

Perhaps, if he wins, his story will join those of Armstrong and LeMond and maybe he'll even make Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of the Year. (Although Zidane might have the inside track. :rolleyes: )

Until then, it seems as though his story is a curiosity, nothing more.

My friends that are cycling fans during the month of July are all talking about it. I think they are waiting for the wristband atmo.

The idea that Floyd could be 80% and even start a tour seems far fetched to me.

JG

saab2000
07-11-2006, 07:51 AM
Part of his story is likely true. But another part of it is posturing for the media and other teams.

Not to be down on Floyd, cuz he's my fave to win, but part of the game is to downplay your chances.

J.Greene
07-11-2006, 07:55 AM

From LA himself

But finally the last thing I’ll say to the people who don’t believe in cycling, the cynics and the sceptics. I'm sorry for you. I’m sorry that you can’t dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles. But this is one hell of a race. This is a great sporting event and you should stand around and believe it. You should believe in these athletes, and you should believe in these people. I'll be a fan of the Tour de France for as long as I live. And there are no secrets - this is a hard sporting event and hard work wins it.

JG

atmo
07-11-2006, 08:07 AM
But finally the last thing I’ll say to the people who don’t believe in cycling, the cynics and the sceptics. I'm sorry for you. I’m sorry that you can’t dream big. I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles. But this is one hell of a race. This is a great sporting event and you should stand around and believe it. You should believe in these athletes, and you should believe in these people. I'll be a fan of the Tour de France for as long as I live. And there are no secrets - this is a hard sporting event and hard work wins it.

JG
your nuts

J.Greene
07-11-2006, 08:11 AM

JG

My credit was misplaced above the above text. That quote was obviously LA on last years podium, not my words.

JG

J.Greene
07-11-2006, 08:12 AM
your nuts

sometimes, and also 7lbs lighter in the last two weeks.

JG

Fixed
07-11-2006, 08:29 AM
bro I'm bummed out about it ,he was the only good rider we have right now even if he's not very exciting .he will never be back racing in the tour .
bro I'm kind of mad about it strange isn't it ? why should i care ?
cheers

J.Greene
07-11-2006, 08:48 AM
cheers

Floyd makes it easy to cheer for him. He tough, he's fun, and he wins.

I wonder if his bum hip had anything to do with why he didn't change teams when given the chance. I think his contract is up at the end of the year.

JG

coylifut
07-11-2006, 08:50 AM
bro I'm bummed out about it ,he was the only good rider we have right now even if he's not very exciting .he will never be back racing in the tour .
cheers

I'd say he has a great chance to be back at the tour. It would be far worse if he hurt his back or got mono.

David Kirk
07-11-2006, 08:58 AM
It feels to me like folks aren't a buzz about it because maybe they don't like him. I find him hard to like.

Dave

CNY rider
07-11-2006, 09:05 AM
Now if he had an ailment having to to with his digestive tract like chronic constipation or explosive farting or uncontrollable bowel movements, Americans would notice because most of the tubs of lard you see all around you can only relate to that kind of thing. Actual injuries because of activity? They can't relate.

This just made me spit water our while I was drinking.

I may need a new keyboard. But that would mean I would actually have to talk to my clinic manager....never mind.

Keep up the good work!

Avispa
07-11-2006, 09:46 AM
My credit was misplaced above the above text. That quote was obviously LA on last years podium, not my words.

OK, LA is nuts! Real nuts!

67-59
07-11-2006, 10:20 AM

Sad but true....

Oh, yeah, and REALLY funny!

gt6267a
07-11-2006, 10:48 AM
anyone know the weight differential between natural and replacement hips? could he be lighter? are there rules governing this?

catulle
07-11-2006, 10:53 AM
anyone know the weight differential between natural and replacement hips? could he be lighter? are there rules governing this?

It's fine if it's carbon fiber, atmo. :no:

saab2000
07-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Stiff, yet compliant.

palincss
07-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Its only a flesh wound.

If osteonecrosis isn't "to the bone", what is?

palincss
07-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Some basketball player gets a sore toe and doesn't play for a while. I think there's a backlash: how big a deal can riding a bike be if you can do it on one leg?

Oh piffle. If there's one thing ordinary people can relate to, it's hip replacements.

There are more than 300,000 knee and hip replacement surgeries performed each year in the United States. Sixty-five percent of hip replacements and seventy-two percent of knee replacements are received by people over the age of 65. Because the U.S. population is aging, the number of hip fractures is expected to exceed 500,000 annually by the year 2040.

--http://www.firstscience.com/SITE/ARTICLES/hip.asp

MartyE
07-11-2006, 11:42 AM
OK, LA is nuts! Real nuts!

only one

yeastor
07-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Floyd should release a hip x-ray to the press (but he wouldn't) - I bet that would blow quite a few minds. Yup TT, you gotta love the Floyd.

They showed MRIs of Floyd's hips in yesterday's (10th July) rest-day OLN show in a discussion with Dr Brent Kay, Landis's personal physician. I think a video of that segment can be viewed at olntv.com, but my Mac won't show it to verify that absolutely. Basically a lot of the ball on his right femur has deteriorated. Very easy to see and very striking.

Russell
07-11-2006, 12:02 PM
It feels to me like folks aren't a buzz about it because maybe they don't like him. I find him hard to like.

Dave

Really? I find him more likeable than Lance. Anyone who can down 13 cappuccinos in one sitting is cool with me.

bcm119
07-11-2006, 12:11 PM
your nuts

This is a sentence fragment. What about his nuts? You need a predicate.

atmo
07-11-2006, 12:14 PM
This is a sentence fragment. What about his nuts? You need a predicate.
get apoplectic atmo

Elefantino
07-11-2006, 12:16 PM
It's hard to come up with a "competitor overcomes adversity" story better then Lance's unless you can find someone who actively came back from the dead and climbed out of the grave to climb on their bike.

TdF champion, 2007

atmo
07-11-2006, 12:26 PM
TdF champion, 2007
my pick atmo -

sspielman
07-11-2006, 12:29 PM
my pick atmo -

...please tell me that you don't have to affix that to your manbag and then sit on a saddle for it to work....could be painful, atmo

gary135r
07-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Maybe they think that it's all headgames. "Geez, look at Floyd, he's only at 80% and he's keeping up with us!"
Did you hear Bruyneel's comment?
http://contagion.dayport.com/viewer/viewerpage.php?Art_ID=181&PreloadContract_DefID=1&Contract_DefID=2&tf=contagionviewer.tpl&Category_ID=3

atmo
07-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Did you hear Bruyneel's comment?
http://contagion.dayport.com/viewer/viewerpage.php?Art_ID=181&PreloadContract_DefID=1&Contract_DefID=2&tf=contagionviewer.tpl&Category_ID=3
johan was really surprised, at least 35 times atmo.

jonesy
07-11-2006, 02:59 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Floyd hates it when people say I got beat because I had a cold or I was sick or something.I think I read it in Procycling.It struck me as strange for him to bring this out now if that's the way he feels.

72gmc
07-11-2006, 04:51 PM
he made it past the physician who checked him out for phonak (not confidence inspiring that he could do that) and he's sold everyone who didn't know on his whole funky walk-with-attitude to cover for his discomfort. seems he could have finished the tour and then stunned us all afterward.

perhaps coming out now is a precaution against a cortisone story? a way to explain the shots? or maybe he feels he has some big results in the bag, he hasn't 'ripped off' phonak by hiding damaged goods, and he can clear the air.

BarryG
07-11-2006, 04:58 PM
I'd give Floyd the benefit of the doubt as to his intentions. Perhaps the timing of the NY Times story caught him by surprise and forced his hand to make a total disclosure.

72gmc
07-11-2006, 05:11 PM
I'd give Floyd the benefit of the doubt as to his intentions.

absolutely. i'm with the sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, and d**kheads--he's a righteous dude.

Elefantino
07-11-2006, 07:16 PM
I'd give Floyd the benefit of the doubt as to his intentions. Perhaps the timing of the NY Times story caught him by surprise and forced his hand to make a total disclosure.

The NYT Magazine article was timed for this weekend.

Bicycling.com broke the first rumor, which forced the NYT to run the Sam Abt story, which led to the magazine story being Webbed early.