PDA

View Full Version : The Official ZWIFTING Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

AngryScientist
08-24-2016, 10:56 AM
I'd hopefully like to use this thread as a collection of information and keep it rolling through the off-season with experience and stuff.

I've now heard from a number of riders i consider pretty respectable that zwift has changed the way they train in the off-season. typically i lay off the bike in the winter and do the gym cardio thing, but if i could stay engaged this winter with some motivation other than mind numbing boredom, that would be a plus!

AngryScientist
08-24-2016, 10:57 AM
so to start:

what is my least expensive option to get going, equipment wise?

i think i would like to acquire a "smart trainer". which one?

will my little chromebook have enough computing power to run the software?

distanc3
08-24-2016, 11:13 AM
I'm currently using a 4 year old Macbook Air

- P2M + Garmin Ant+ Dongle + Kurt Kinetic Road Machine.

Things I found useful:
- Cheap phone mount for controlling Zwift via Zwift App (http://blog.trainerroad.com/custom-phone-mount/)
- Garmin Anti+ Dongle: stick with the mini one, it stay plugged in on my laptop, it wont snap off like the USB sticks.
- 1 Dongle per Application (1 for Zwift and if you'd like Trainerroad you'll need a second one). A few people use Zwift for the entertainment factor but prefer the TR programs however Zwift has workouts integrated now.

R3awak3n
08-24-2016, 11:33 AM
so to start:

what is my least expensive option to get going, equipment wise?

i think i would like to acquire a "smart trainer". which one?

will my little chromebook have enough computing power to run the software?

chromebook is not going to cut it, I don't think you can even install it in a chromebook.

AngryScientist
08-24-2016, 11:41 AM
that's a bummer. i may need to up my laptop game for this.

shovelhd
08-24-2016, 11:46 AM
I'm not sure a Chromebook will work but that could just be me. You need a computer that will work with an Ant+ dongle, which usually means drivers. Also you need a fast Internet connection l, and if you want to use a large monitor, a good video adapter or very modern chipset.

My Zwift setup is:

Lenovo Z580 Core i5 laptop. Not super new or powerful.
Garmin Ant+ mini dongle
Belkin 16' powered USB cable to put the dongle next to the bike
HP 28" monitor via HDMI
Tacx Bushido TDF smart trainer
Conductor's stand for the laptop
Cable receiver, DVD player, and separate 19" TV for non-Zwift video
Gemini DJ mixer
MPow Bluetooth earbuds
Yamaha computer speakers for when I'm sick of the earbuds
24" commercial exhaust fan

That's all I can think of at the moment. I use my iPhone logged into Zwift for the ride ons and PM's. In the offseason I use the Felt on the trainer with a dedicated Mavic Aksium trainer wheel and Tacx trainer tire. This keeps the Redline available for road use. The Felt has an SRM which is set up in Zwift as the power reference. However with a Smart trainer you don't need a PM as they have one built in.

I can't recommend a good fan highly enough. It can make the difference between suffering and being miserable. Every trainer setup needs good cooling. Those cheap 20" box fans don't cut it for me unless I'm doing a recovery ride.

I don't do Zwift workouts but I do the group rides and races. The underground races are my favorite, but I haven't ridden the trainer in months so I don't know if they're still around.

The best smart trainer for the buck used to be the Tacx Vortex Smart through overseas retailers but I haven't kept up with pricing. I paid just under $500 for my Bushido TDF from a German retailer.

R3awak3n
08-24-2016, 11:49 AM
that's a bummer. i may need to up my laptop game for this.

I have not used it since last winter but remember it being pretty unoptimized and even then it looked like crap. That said I know they are not a video game company and graphics is not the top necessity for this.

It runs fine on my desktop but very slow on my other desktop (not that powerful). You don't need the latest and greatest but something decent.

I was a bit disappointed with the customer service last time, I know they were slammed but took a month to reply to my message and then it was something super generic, I hope they tighten up things. I had this problem that the program would crash and the only way to make it work was to install on a different desktop and copy the files to that desktop... i had no idea what was wrong but some people were having the same problem. I came up with that work around but after every update i would have to do the same thing and got annoying... then spring came and I threw the trainer out the window.

ergott
08-24-2016, 01:17 PM
Good info so far. I'm using a Bushido in conjunction with my P2M crank for accurate power numbers.

There are also training plans you can follow if you like. Long term and longer term. I've done a few workouts and they are very rewarding, particularly the FTP workouts (SST, sweet spot training).

We can organize some Paceline pacelines:banana:

carpediemracing
08-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Thoughts on fans, after seeing countless trainer pain caves with inadequate fans:
http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.com/2016/07/training-why-should-you-get-better-fan.html

Bottom line you should be able to spend about $45 for a pretty solid fan, 4000-6000 CFM. Box fans are closer to 2500 CFM, not enough for almost anyone.

Setting up Zwift:
http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.com/2015/04/training-zwift.html

I use a Mac laptop, 2011, so pretty minimal. I'm down to a few frames per second in large groups, like 2-3 fps. But for me that's okay, I rarely do big groups for a variety of reasons.

1. Ant+ dongle (tiny thing), I think about $30
2. USB extension cord, 6', to get the Ant+ dongle under the bike, I think $5-10?
3. Ant+ speed/cadence sensor (mounted in tandem with my wired SRM pick ups), maybe $40?
4. Ant+ HR strap (so HR shows up in Zwift), I got the hard surface Garmin $35 or so.
5. Kinetic Road Machine dumb/classic trainer

And the fan.

Trainer (KK Road Machine on a modded CycleOps frame - KK and CycleOps use the same base/frame specs so the resistance units interchange on the frames):
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4sCk3ojvmfQ/V6iUAbYp0gI/AAAAAAAAJN0/UOvwM2rkQm8kqoV-0dt_GPcJz8X-MgnvACLcB/s800/20160808_RockingTrainer-2.jpg

My set up, sort of:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-E4z6voyu_b0/VT474ddo5tI/AAAAAAAAIpo/XgmJ1CZnLQY/s800/DSC_0328.JPG

The WinAmp laptop died (HD) so I use iTunes in the background of the Mac. I don't use the baby monitor anymore. My big fan is on the floor there.

54ny77
08-24-2016, 01:39 PM
whoa, i think something essploded on that trash can, looks red, ummm.....

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/art/omar/600/2984v2686.jpg

;)

My set up, sort of:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-E4z6voyu_b0/VT474ddo5tI/AAAAAAAAIpo/XgmJ1CZnLQY/s800/DSC_0328.JPG

kramnnim
08-24-2016, 03:05 PM
Yeah, Zwift won't run on a Chromebook, needs 64 bit Windows or Mac.

Some are thinking there may be an iPad app soon, though...

The faster the graphics card, the better Zwift will look. If it looks like an N64 game, it's your computer's fault...

I don't like my Bushido at all, but other here like theirs. Vortex feels more realistic to me.

kramnnim
08-24-2016, 03:09 PM
Suunto Movestick Mini works well for the ANT+ stick. Many people say you NEED a USB extension cable, I do not use one. If you don't have a power meter, you can get by with a speed sensor (GSC-10 or equivalent) but accuracy will not be amazing.

The Facebook community (search for "Zwift Riders") is quite large and there are many folks who can help with the more minor issues you may run in to.

Alaska Mike
08-24-2016, 07:18 PM
I've been on for about a year.

I use the most basic model Alienware Alpha, which is more than enough for a computer. Yeah, I bought a computer for only Zwift, which runs to a small flat-screen TV. The main thing is that the computer has sufficient graphics speed- the processor doesn't have to be lightning fast. I can upgrade the Alienware when I need to (processor, memory...), unlike a lot of laptops and small form-factor computers.

I don't do the social thing on Zwift, other than the occasional Ride On. If I can type, I'm not working hard enough.

For me, it's just a motivational form of stimuli. The "terrain" spurs me on. The jerseys spur me on. The random guy from New Zealand spurs me on...

If you're using a dumb trainer, make sure your setup is perfect or better yet, use a power meter. Nobody likes a virtual doper, and there are plenty of them on Zwift (look for the "cone of shame" or extremely high sustained w/kg).

shovelhd
08-24-2016, 08:56 PM
Yeah, Zwift won't run on a Chromebook, needs 64 bit Windows or Mac.

Some are thinking there may be an iPad app soon, though...

The faster the graphics card, the better Zwift will look. If it looks like an N64 game, it's your computer's fault...

I don't like my Bushido at all, but other here like theirs. Vortex feels more realistic to me.

There's the Bushido, and the Bushido Smart. Both will work with Zwift, but the Smart (or TDF) is way better.

Dave B
09-27-2016, 09:22 AM
I am beginning to take cycling a bit more seriously. I had planned on getting a coach and working with him/her to become a better cyclist. The guy I was considering is a great racer, owns the shop closest to me and is a decent pal. $150/month to begin with. He told me a lot of his data will come from a trainer and the HR, wattage (if possible) and other biometric jazz.

Sounded great until my best mate told me to just get a trainer and look at several of the online options as there are loads of programs like Zwift and trainer road.

The cost is way less and the opportunities while more on your own seem as good if not more ideal to someone who is trying to gain fitness while really pushing what I am capable of.

With that said I was looking at the kinetic road machine 2.0 smart trainer. it has great reviews, but wanted to ask the collective their opinion. I know I need a "smart" trainer to participate in zwift and some other stuff. Any recommendations that might be as good for less money or better for similar money...about $400.

shovelhd
09-27-2016, 09:34 AM
You don't need a smart trainer for Zwift, just an approved dumb trainer and an ANT+ dongle and speed sensor. However if your goal is to work with a coach, having a power meter is very helpful, which is part of any true smart trainer. You will also get tension feedback from Zwift which makes the riding more realistic. For $400 I would go with the Tacx Vortex Smart over any Kurt Kinetic product.

superbowlpats
09-27-2016, 09:39 AM
Some good info here:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/2015-2016trainer-recommendations.html

I bought a used Computrainer (more than your current budget tho) and use Trainerroad. Smart trainer (i.e. with power) is the way to go at least for me, I'm not mentally tough enough to use a dumb trainer. I need ERG mode so I can just pedal at the right power levels and focus on Netfix :)

Hls2k6
09-27-2016, 09:49 AM
If you haven't done so already, your premise, that the online programming will be just as good, warrants some consideration. For me, coaching is about so much more than what workouts to do. Yes, a one-size-fits-most plan will get you the structure that most cyclists never incorporate. That's the easy part, though. Fitting it into a busy life, tailoring for the unexpected, customizing as needed when you're exhausted or making gains faster than expected, and (especially) making sure you don't overdo it and burn out every 2 months? Way harder.

carpediemracing
09-27-2016, 09:51 AM
Remember that there are two aspects to cycling. One is very objective, that's fitness related. It never hurts to be more fit.

However the other aspect is the skills part. It's not as objective so it appears that most coaches/programs don't address it. However, from a somewhat subjective point of view, better riding skills can help you immensely, especially when it comes to riding with other riders (i.e. when you draft).

Many training coaches help you become a stronger cyclist, not a better one. To become a better one you need to work on the skills aspect. This pretty much requires local presence.

The fact that the coach owns the local shop and is therefore local really works in your favor. I imagine there would be a lot of skills related feedback that you wouldn't get from a remote coach.

I'd ask if he'd be willing to work on skills with you. If interested in racing or group riding I'd specifically ask about bumping (side-to-side) and touching wheels (front tire to another back wheel). These two skills will help you maximize your ability to draft, absolutely the most crucial thing in performing at your best in a flatter group ride/race.

Plus some other basic things. For me the other basic skills would be the bunny hop (not too much there), one handed riding (one thing is holding near the stem), picking things up off the ground (move hips off saddle, like Sagan in a descent, so you can reach without needing to stretch a lot or be flexible), and trackstands (key is to roll backward). These skills may not be exactly pertinent to your cycling, like you may never need to pick something up off the ground, but all the exercises will help make you feel more fluent on the bike. And when you need to pick up that bottle or bunny hop a pothole or do a trackstand you'll be able to do it fluently, comfortably.

abr5
09-27-2016, 09:51 AM
I have one of the Tacx Bushido Smarts, they are pretty awesome, but a tad more expensive. Smart trainers definitely help me to not cheat the last interval, which is oh so easy on a standard trainer. Zwift was fun for the first week or so, but got old pretty quick- I switched to just using trainerroad after my free trial ran out. Definitely recommend going smart trainer (don't forget to budget in an Ant+ dongle for your laptop!) and trying it out before deciding to commit $150/month of a coach. If after you use the trainer for a few months and feel like you need a more tailored solution, you'll have the tools for the coach to give proper feedback.

shovelhd
09-27-2016, 09:56 AM
I have the Bushido TDF, the Perform labeled Euro version that comes with the tablet mount. I went with the Bushido for race warmups, because it doesn't require power to run. I could also program my standard stepped warmup into it. I wound up retiring before I ever used it that way.

Bwana
09-27-2016, 10:17 AM
Some good info here:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/2015-2016trainer-recommendations.html

I bought a used Computrainer (more than your current budget tho) and use Trainerroad. Smart trainer (i.e. with power) is the way to go at least for me, I'm not mentally tough enough to use a dumb trainer. I need ERG mode so I can just pedal at the right power levels and focus on Netfix :)

DC said in the comments on that post that he's going to have an updated list out soon for 2016-2017. If it's not urgent to get a trainer, I would wait on that to come out before making any kind of decision.

AngryScientist
09-27-2016, 10:26 AM
i started this thread not too long ago:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=192238&highlight=zwifting

i will also be zwifting this off-season. i havent bought a trainer set-up yet either, nor have i decided on one.

Pres - would it be OK if i merged the two threads so we can keep all this good info together?

it would be cool if we can keep these threads current and share our experiences with progress over the off-season.

benb
09-27-2016, 10:27 AM
I have a Tacx trainer that has power but does not have the fancy computer attachments.

My opinion is you should consider trying the coach for a little while:

- You can probably sign up for a short term coaching program at the bottom end of the options. Say a 4 month training plan with just occasional checkups.

- Having the interaction with a coach may provide the motivation you need to actually follow through on the training.

- A good coach even at these lower levels of service is probably still going to provide you a more personalized plan.

- Coaches are very good at giving you both appropriate workout types and looking at the big picture. (What you should be doing 1 day, what you should be doing in a training "block", how many training blocks per week, how many weeks between recovery weeks.)

Online programs look good but you still have to do more of it yourself and if you don't know what you're doing there is more guessing involved to personalize it and apply it.

In the grand scheme of things coaching is not that expensive relative to the seeming budgets folks have on here for cycling $$ and IME it has been very rewarding. Sometimes I regret money spent on a bike, or components, or a fitting, but I have never regretted working with a coach the few times I've done it. Both times I had picked a goal and worked with a coach to formulate a plan for that particular goal and both times I did very well.

Now maybe the right answer going into October is to do Zwift or something for a few months and then start with a coach in February or something though. It's not necessarily an either/or. I'd have no desire to be paying for any trainer related service in the Spring/Summer/Fall when I'm outside 99% of the time but in the winter it might be good vs. money spent on a coach. (Of course the coach may direct you to do things off the bike as well if you ask for an off season training plan which something like Zwift probably doesn't cover.)

Dave B
09-27-2016, 10:58 AM
i started this thread not too long ago:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=192238&highlight=zwifting

i will also be zwifting this off-season. i havent bought a trainer set-up yet either, nor have i decided on one.

Pres - would it be OK if i merged the two threads so we can keep all this good info together?

it would be cool if we can keep these threads current and share our experiences with progress over the off-season.

oh yes please, I could use as much advice or guidance as possible. I hate to spend money on some thing like this, but know it makes a lot of sense.

Dave B
09-27-2016, 11:01 AM
I am beginning to think that a trainer and programs like zwift or other types of things online make sense for now. If I can build fitness over the winter, I have my summers to do as I please. Going into the summer with a better ability and then hooking up with a coach...my pal come spring, to spend the summer building skills and raising fitness to new heights sounds like a decent plan.

I just have never had a plan.

soulspinner
09-27-2016, 11:19 AM
i am beginning to think that a trainer and programs like zwift or other types of things online make sense for now. If i can build fitness over the winter, i have my summers to do as i please. Going into the summer with a better ability and then hooking up with a coach...my pal come spring, to spend the summer building skills and raising fitness to new heights sounds like a decent plan.

I just have never had a plan.

+1

AngryScientist
10-09-2016, 03:42 PM
oh yes please, I could use as much advice or guidance as possible. I hate to spend money on some thing like this, but know it makes a lot of sense.

OK, i merged the threads Mr Pres!

AngryScientist
10-09-2016, 03:43 PM
Also, i just spend a rainy saturday cleaning out a spot in the basement to make a new trainer area. getting ready to set up a proper pain cave for the off season.

sounds silly, but i'm starting to almost look forward to zwifting this winter!

yashcha
10-09-2016, 06:15 PM
I've been using Zwift for the past couple of months. Air pollution here in Beijing has gotten better, but the traffic hasn't so most of my riding is done indoors, which I don't really mind.

ZWIFT has been an amazing upgrade to my indoor riding. I use a Stages powermeter and a tacx satori, interfacing with a Lenovo G50 laptop and a flatscreen TV. Your internet should be fast enough so that there is no glitchy slowdowns. Also, if your internet is not fast enough, you will not be able to participate in the group rides.

For me, joining ZWIFT has been one of the best purchases of the year. I do a lot of the group rides, events. Yes, it is not like the real thing, but it is 70-80% of the excitement of going on a big fast competitive group ride (like I used to do at Hains Point in DC), but without any of the hassles and dangers. I can't say enough good things about it. Rode for an hour and a half yesterday on Zwift.

Once in a while some pros show up and you can ride with them. It sucks though when they can sustain 6 w/KG for minutes up a hill. Riding with Fumy Beppu from Trek a couple of days ago...

Mzilliox
10-09-2016, 06:31 PM
I did some Zwifting when i broke my hand, and will start once the rains come hard. its fun, the routes got a bit stale, but it sure beats staring at a wall. As others have said, get a good fan, or 2. i also keep towels around, like lots of em.

AngryScientist
10-09-2016, 08:25 PM
Ok- tacx vortex smart or cyclops powersync - both about $500 on the nose. Either of those good options for zwifting?

mtechnica
10-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Ok- tacx vortex smart or cyclops powersync - both about $500 on the nose. Either of those good options for zwifting?

Do these have power meters in them? Variable resistance? I might get on the zwift bandwagon but I'm not sure which trainers will work and which ones have power meters.

bcroslin
10-09-2016, 09:52 PM

I don't have any experience with the cyclops but I do own a Tacx Bushido Smart (similar to Vortex) and it works awesome with Zwift.

kramnnim
10-09-2016, 09:55 PM

Vortex is ~$330 and probably the best value.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/tacx-t2180-vortex-virtual-smart-trainer-246764?currency=5&delivery_country=191

kramnnim
10-09-2016, 09:56 PM
Do these have power meters in them? Variable resistance? I might get on the zwift bandwagon but I'm not sure which trainers will work and which ones have power meters.

Vortex reports power, might be within 10%. Zwift can control the resistance, or you can use the app.

shovelhd
10-10-2016, 07:49 AM

I have the Bushido TDF, but it has the same functions as the Vortex, as well as being wireless and has a stronger brake. They have power meters in them. They can run in erg mode at a set resistance via the mobile app or external program. In Zwift they will vary the resistance with terrain and speed. If you have an ANT+ power meter, Zwift can use it as the power reference to drive the resistance, bypassing the trainer power meter.

AngryScientist
10-10-2016, 09:33 AM
Vortex is ~$330 and probably the best value.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/tacx-t2180-vortex-virtual-smart-trainer-246764?currency=5&delivery_country=191

excellent. pretty sure this is the unit i'm going to buy!

mtechnica
10-10-2016, 10:06 AM
excellent. pretty sure this is the unit i'm going to buy!

Me too, this should be fun

mtechnica
10-10-2016, 10:06 AM
I have the Bushido TDF, but it has the same functions as the Vortex, as well as being wireless and has a stronger brake. They have power meters in them. They can run in erg mode at a set resistance via the mobile app or external program. In Zwift they will vary the resistance with terrain and speed. If you have an ANT+ power meter, Zwift can use it as the power reference to drive the resistance, bypassing the trainer power meter.

That sounds good

Mzilliox
10-10-2016, 10:09 AM
Im on a wahoo kickr i got at rei during sale time. was around 500, variable resistance, reads power, etc etc. makes the hills too damn hard!

kramnnim
10-10-2016, 11:06 AM
I bought a Vortex and a Bushido at the same time. I had been using a Fortius, which was the old version of the current Genius. My wife has been using the Vortex several times a week (with Zwift), it feels similar to a fluid trainer when pedaling. The Bushido...I used it a few times and hated how it felt. Kind of like pedaling through 6" of mud. It's been gathering dust, I still use my Fortius. I know of a number of people who are happy with their Bushidos, but I am not one of them. I need to sell mine but I am afraid the buyer will not like it and it's a hassle to ship due to the size and weight.

kramnnim
10-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Im on a wahoo kickr i got at rei during sale time. was around 500, variable resistance, reads power, etc etc. makes the hills too damn hard!

Kickr for $500, that's a great price.

AngryScientist
10-10-2016, 12:02 PM
OK, i just purchased the vortex! one step closer!

i didnt need to purchase the "upgrade for smart" - did i?

http://www.bike-discount.de/media/org/orgb_T/orgid_60/thumbs/135907_1609595.jpg

adub
10-10-2016, 02:04 PM
My Zwift set-up;

4 year-old Mac Book Pro. (I had to update the OS to Sierra this year to get Zwift not to crash..)
Wahoo Kickr
Suunto movestick mini w/ usb cable to get it next to trainer (this solved the intermittent drop issues)
Mini display port to HDMI adapter (this is to get the display to my TV) I believe Apple TV would make this more seamless/wireless??
Customized (cheap!) iphone mount to control the Zwift app; http://blog.trainerroad.com/custom-phone-mount/
Bluetooth JBL speaker to crank the tunes from the same iphone i'm using to control the Zwift app.
Fan

kramnnim
10-10-2016, 03:04 PM
OK, i just purchased the vortex! one step closer!

i didnt need to purchase the "upgrade for smart" - did i?

Nope... I think there are ways to use the Vortex's Bluetooth connection with Zwift, but I think ANT+ may be easier to set up. You'll need a USB ANT+ stick like the Suunto Movestick Mini adub just mentioned, and probably need a USB extension cable to get that ANT+ stick close to your Vortex. (some people have connection issues without the long cable)

shovelhd
10-10-2016, 10:14 PM
Upgrade Smart is training software. Not needed if you are using other software like Zwift.

drewskey
10-10-2016, 11:05 PM
I successfully used the Nashbar Fluid trainer in Virtual Power mode over the winter last year. Being consistent in equipment setup (read: psi, tension, same tire/wheel) between FTP tests and training made it very useful. When I finally bought a real powermeter, it actually ended up being darn near identical in numbers. Go figure.

What I now want are the wheel weights that the new STAC Zero Trainer are going to ship with. Poor-man's (or ingenious) flywheel. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/06/stac-zero-trainer.html

AngryScientist
10-11-2016, 06:16 AM
you guys are good pals for helping me figure out what i'm doing with this, and fielding my stupid questions. thanks all :beer::beer:

i still have to settle on a laptop and wait for my trainer to get here from across the pond, i think the only part of the equation left is a usb dongle thingy with extension and find my big floor fan.

AngryScientist
10-11-2016, 06:17 AM
yet another stupid question: is there audio associated with zwift? or should i stick with listening to tunes while riding?

weisan
10-11-2016, 06:29 AM
angry pal, we are like connected telepathically...I was just looking into Zwift recently and wanting to learn more about it, your thread helps a lot....

I too would like to be able to use my Chromebook for this application but it seems like it would be difficult if not impossible. My Chrome is set to dual operating system, it has both Google OS and Ubuntu linux. If somehow one day Zwift supports linux, I might look into that. In the meantime, I have an old trainer which I got for $10 at a local thrift store a few months ago, it doesn't have the control or advanced feature needed for Zwift and I don't intend to invest in getting a newer one.

Truth be told...I hate...and I mean, I HATE riding indoors...I am sure Zwift and Kickr and the likes have made this whole indoor riding experience somewhat tolerable for a lot of people, thus my interest.

For now, I will keep my eye on postings on this thread so I know what's going on but I finally came to my senses...I live in Texas...our winter is pathetic compared to our friends up north, if you can even call it that...so, I will just contend with riding all year-round outside whether it's triple digit or just slightly below freezing. :D

carpediemracing
10-11-2016, 07:16 AM
angry pal, we are like connected telepathically...I was just looking into Zwift recently and wanting to learn more about it, your thread helps a lot....

I too would like to be able to use my Chromebook for this application but it seems like it would be difficult if not impossible. My Chrome is set to dual operating system, it has both Google OS and Ubuntu linux. If somehow one day Zwift supports linux, I might look into that. In the meantime, I have an old trainer which I got for $10 at a local thrift store a few months ago, it doesn't have the control or advanced feature needed for Zwift and I don't intend to invest in getting a newer one.

Truth be told...I hate...and I mean, I HATE riding indoors...I am sure Zwift and Kickr and the likes have made this whole indoor riding experience somewhat tolerable for a lot of people, thus my interest.

For now, I will keep my eye on postings on this thread so I know what's going on but I finally came to my senses...I live in Texas...our winter is pathetic compared to our friends up north, if you can even call it that...so, I will just contend with riding all year-round outside whether it's triple digit or just slightly below freezing. :D

For your trainer make sure it's on the list of supported trainers. If not you'll be disappointed in the capped performance (for example 400w cap for unsupported trainer) or Zwift will be crediting you with weird power readings.

kramnnim
10-11-2016, 09:40 AM
yet another stupid question: is there audio associated with zwift? or should i stick with listening to tunes while riding?

Just sound effects, nothing worth listening to unless you like the audio cues. I've had it on mute.

carpediemracing
10-11-2016, 11:13 AM

I run iTunes while I ride.

The London environment has thunder and tolling bells, both of which, at least last I checked, were not very quiet even with background noise at a minimum. Jolted me, to be honest. I muted in-game sounds after that.

However some people use a free-for-computer (but not for phone) app called TeamSpeak. If you have a gamer headset/mic you can communicate with others in real time. Also there's no range with TeamSpeak because you're talking on a server, not to others locally on Zwift. Obviously it can get a bit jammed up if there are 200 riders, but even on larger group rides it seems that only a few people talk. Haha sort of like the verbal version of me on a forum, blah blah blah etc.

The texting in-game can be delayed by up to a solid 15-30 seconds, from my experience, and if you "lose" your buddy (if you're trying to figure out where each one is, for example) you may not be able to msg them, even if you are friends or whatever. The reason is that the messaging aspect only works for riders nearby, even friends (once they're on a different route they drop off your list of riders nearby). Exception is if you are part of a group ride, you should be able to see the other riders in a couple clicks.

Finally group rides sometimes have commentary. For example the Tour of CA group rides had some race recap commentary. Other group rides might include coaching, random chatter, maybe a guest rider.

So, generally speaking, you probably don't need Zwift sound, but for group rides and special events you may want sound. And if you want to experiment with TeamSpeak you should do it earlier than later.

ergott
10-11-2016, 12:30 PM
I've set the in-game volume relatively low in comparison to the music I want to listen to. I do like some ambient sound from the environment.

AngryScientist
10-11-2016, 06:29 PM
USB dongle procured!

weisan
10-11-2016, 06:32 PM
USB dongle procured!

Where did you get it? I thought they were "sold out" on Zwift site.

AngryScientist
10-11-2016, 06:33 PM
Where did you get it? I thought they were "sold out" on Zwift site.

i bought this, as recommended above:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151955991240?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

iPaul
10-11-2016, 06:43 PM
I went with an Elite Rampa for my foray in to the Zwift world. The dongle came included.

I'll be sure to wave as I ride pass :beer:

adub
10-11-2016, 09:07 PM
Angry Scientist it sounds like you are on your way! In regard to the Zwift sound; as others have mentioned I also mute it and listen to my iTunes or spotify.

mtechnica
10-11-2016, 09:19 PM
I'm going to run zwift on a Lenovo p50, 50" 4K tv, studio monitors wth a subwoofer, and a Peugeot triathlon. Going with the same trainer and dongle as angry scientist I believe. Should be interesting. Maybe when things get really bleak this winter there could be a paceline zwift ride.

carpediemracing
10-12-2016, 07:45 AM
Maybe when things get really bleak this winter there could be a paceline zwift ride.

Make it slow enough and I'll join. I struggle on Sub2 (w/kg) rides, like I get shelled pretty hard after being redlined for a while.

I'm waiting for Zwift to update because right now my older Mac OS doesn't work with Zwift, but last two Sub2 rides I got shelled hard in 10 minutes or so. Apparently there has been some effort put into making Sub2 rides more like 1.7 rides with 2 w/kg pushes on hills, which is where I am.

If possible I'll be joining pre-existing Sub2 rides, but I have to sacrifice family time to do it so I normally ride on my own.

Pre-existing rides are much easier to handle in terms of messaging and such because all hte other riders don't show up in your list (but they can pass you and all that).

Also TeamSpeak is useful for real time communication, although I haven't really played with it. Going to a different channel, for example, could make the channel just for riders in that group.

shovelhd
10-12-2016, 09:30 AM
The Sub2's that I've done have been more like Sub 2.5-3.0. There's always a group of Yahoo!'S who hit the gas coming out of the tunnel and keep it going through the marina. I guess it strokes their ego to get away from a group where many are intentionally holding back. If you comment on it they trash you.

If anyone wants to do a Paceline Sub2 and make an effort to stick with the leader, I'm all for it. Not yet though, it's not quite trainer season.

ergott
10-12-2016, 09:33 AM
If anyone wants to do a Paceline Sub2 and make an effort to stick with the leader, I'm all for it. Not yet though, it's not quite trainer season.

I'm up for a Paceline meetup when it's more consistently indoor season too.

I'm a strong proponent of sticking to the ride plan/pace if there is one. Quite happy to let a yahoo continue off the front. Best way to avoid it is to have the ride leader change up the route while riding. If you are off the front and miss a turn, good riddance.

AngryScientist
10-12-2016, 09:50 AM
i like where this is going.

so starting a private group ride is allowed on the zwift platform? that's actually pretty cool.

Mzilliox
10-12-2016, 10:15 AM
PSA 20% off trainers at Nashbar today:eek:

Mzilliox
10-12-2016, 10:16 AM

I'm a strong proponent of sticking to the ride plan/pace if there is one. Quite happy to let a yahoo continue off the front. Best way to avoid it is to have the ride leader change up the route while riding. If you are off the front and miss a turn, good riddance.

This, im in for this some time soon too

MagicHour
10-12-2016, 10:47 AM
+1 for a Paceline zwift ride

carpediemracing
10-12-2016, 11:34 AM
i like where this is going.

so starting a private group ride is allowed on the zwift platform? that's actually pretty cool.

You can start a private ride but it's sort of like "okay, we're meeting at wherever at whatever time and we're doing whatever loop". But then you get all the external noise, like whatever text messaging others are doing, etc. For such a ride I think that a Teamspeak channel would be critical, to get rid of exterior noise. Leader would need to be calling stuff out, like "okay, left turn up ahead" or "hey slow it down up front" or whatever.

If you do a "real" ride then Zwift does stuff, but Zwift has to approve it, it goes on the official ride list (website), etc. At that point the ride leader gets a beacon, the ride leader's text appear in huge letters in the middle of the screen, you can only message other riders in the group (all non-group riders are ignored), your list of riders on the right is populated only by riders in the group, all the riders that join the ride get automatically routed onto the right route.

Other things - you might be outfitted in the same kits, and you sit on trainers until the start time. Then you all start together.

An official group ride is much easier to control. Only thing is no route changes, no options to veer off route.

This was a particularly large group, about 95 riders. We all got stuck in the blue Saxo kit, the route was set, and the leader was set. There were probably 500 riders online at the time but only 95 or so showed up in my list of riders. Etc etc.
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MA6SWG7_Iyg/V-RiNfoQjjI/AAAAAAAAJV8/rpHVB3q_2fUtUs9dSQ-9q-3ogDg29P3GgCLcB/s800/2016-09-22_15150213.jpg

Beacon is the yellow shield. If you pull back or you're farther away, there's a yellow pillar of light shining down on the ride leader.
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mpwiMc-MnZU/V-RiuBGDzBI/AAAAAAAAJWA/SWM0_lW6PHk02YEH1GSpgQWkpe73_9KAACLcB/s800/2016-09-22_1432257.jpg

drewskey
10-12-2016, 11:59 AM
You can start a private ride but it's sort of like "okay, we're meeting at wherever at whatever time and we're doing whatever loop". But then you get all the external noise, like whatever text messaging others are doing, etc. For such a ride I think that a Teamspeak channel would be critical, to get rid of exterior noise. Leader would need to be calling stuff out, like "okay, left turn up ahead" or "hey slow it down up front" or whatever.

If you do a "real" ride then Zwift does stuff, but Zwift has to approve it, it goes on the official ride list (website), etc. At that point the ride leader gets a beacon, the ride leader's text appear in huge letters in the middle of the screen, you can only message other riders in the group (all non-group riders are ignored), your list of riders on the right is populated only by riders in the group, all the riders that join the ride get automatically routed onto the right route.

Other things - you might be outfitted in the same kits, and you sit on trainers until the start time. Then you all start together.

An official group ride is much easier to control. Only thing is no route changes, no options to veer off route.

This was a particularly large group, about 95 riders. We all got stuck in the blue Saxo kit, the route was set, and the leader was set. There were probably 500 riders online at the time but only 95 or so showed up in my list of riders. Etc etc.

Thanks for posting this. This was not around when I left Zwift. This seems super slick compared to what it was before. Herding cats.

ALSO - Thanks for chiming in yesterday in /r/velo!

kramnnim
10-12-2016, 01:01 PM
2 months of Zwift free for Strava Premium members...ends in 2016. I think if you sign up for a month of Premium, you will automatically get Zwift free from November 1 to December 31.

pmac
10-12-2016, 02:05 PM
I'm fairly new to Zwift, and apart from not understanding a lot of what shows up on the screen (why isn't there a simple diagram showing what it all means?) I've found it to be far, far better than riding on a trainer. Having never used a power meter and having no point of reference, are the power numbers a pretty good estimate, within 10 or 20%? Likewise, do the mph numbers give you a realistic idea of how fast you might be going on a road? And finally, when you're going up the mountain and there are extended sections at 8-10%, does that approximate what it would be like on a real hill of that gradient? I entered my actual weight, so the values won't be off because of that variable.

How do you find the sub2 group rides? I find much of the interface a bit confusing. At one point I could only do the London rides, and for the last week or so it's been only Watopia no matter what day of the week it is. Maybe I'm not seeing all the options.

Thanks for any insights.

weisan
10-12-2016, 02:13 PM
One thing I am still kinda confused and hoping I can get some clarification on...

I have an old trainer - Minoura Interim Ergo

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/e28a6581-8286-418d-87ef-12ed42e11bd0_1.d52c6a78db216d306a8a83592bf32526.jp eg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

And I have got a ANT+ enabled powertap rear wheel that talks to my Garmin 800 computer, feeding power info.

I have a desktop PC that is more than adequate for the job...trust me on that one, it is.

Assuming I get the USB dongle and register with Zwift....will that be sufficient to get me into Zwifting?

kramnnim
10-12-2016, 02:27 PM
Yes, that's enough.

One thing I am still kinda confused and hoping I can get some clarification on...

I have an old trainer - Minoura Interim Ergo

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/e28a6581-8286-418d-87ef-12ed42e11bd0_1.d52c6a78db216d306a8a83592bf32526.jp eg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

And I have got a ANT+ enabled powertap rear wheel that talks to my Garmin 800 computer, feeding power info.

I have a desktop PC that is more than adequate for the job...trust me on that one, it is.

Assuming I get the USB dongle and register with Zwift....will that be sufficient to get me into Zwifting?

kramnnim
10-12-2016, 02:32 PM
What's your trainer setup? Fluid trainer with a speed sensor? Smart trainer?

Was London yesterday... The rides are on the app, and also on the sub 2 Facebook group, I think?

I'm fairly new to Zwift, and apart from not understanding a lot of what shows up on the screen (why isn't there a simple diagram showing what it all means?) I've found it to be far, far better than riding on a trainer. Having never used a power meter and having no point of reference, are the power numbers a pretty good estimate, within 10 or 20%? Likewise, do the mph numbers give you a realistic idea of how fast you might be going on a road? And finally, when you're going up the mountain and there are extended sections at 8-10%, does that approximate what it would be like on a real hill of that gradient? I entered my actual weight, so the values won't be off because of that variable.

How do you find the sub2 group rides? I find much of the interface a bit confusing. At one point I could only do the London rides, and for the last week or so it's been only Watopia no matter what day of the week it is. Maybe I'm not seeing all the options.

Thanks for any insights.

weisan
10-12-2016, 02:54 PM
Yes, that's enough.

thanks for your response, Kram pal.

So, still one more question.

How do I vary my level of effort to be somewhat compatible with my peers on Zwift while we are riding together if my trainer is not smart enough to change resistance automatically? Do I do this manually? What do I based it off? Power readings, speed ?

MagicHour
10-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Yes, if you have a Power Meter/Dumb trainer you would need to modulate your power according to group speed/terrain. For example to simulate the power output/cadence when climbing you just ride larger gears than you would IRL.

How do I vary my level of effort to be somewhat compatible with my peers on Zwift while we are riding together if my trainer is not smart enough to change resistance automatically? Do I do this manually? What do I based it off? Power readings, speed ?

pmac
10-12-2016, 04:01 PM
What's your trainer setup? Fluid trainer with a speed sensor? Smart trainer?

Was London yesterday... The rides are on the app, and also on the sub 2 Facebook group, I think?

It's a Wahoo Kickr.
I don't do facebook, but I found the sub 2 group. I guess Facebook is just a way to publicize the ride, and you don't need to be a member to join the ride, right?
Last night I was in Watopia and I don't remember seeing the London option. I'll poke around in Zwift tonight and see if I can find the rides.
Thanks.

shovelhd
10-12-2016, 04:02 PM
You choose the course when you log in.

pmac
10-12-2016, 04:35 PM
I know that, but when I log in I only see the Watopia options. In the past there were others. I realize that there is a calendar which shows when different options are available, but for me it's been only Watopia for a while.

kramnnim
10-12-2016, 05:54 PM

Yeah, Zwift speed is based on power, so you'd shift gears and adjust your trainer resistance to change your power output.

kramnnim
10-12-2016, 06:00 PM
It's a Wahoo Kickr.
I don't do facebook, but I found the sub 2 group. I guess Facebook is just a way to publicize the ride, and you don't need to be a member to join the ride, right?
Last night I was in Watopia and I don't remember seeing the London option. I'll poke around in Zwift tonight and see if I can find the rides.
Thanks.

Right, the FB group is just for discussion, etc.

With a Kickr, the power should be mostly accurate...I think you have to do regular spindown calibration tests or something?

The Zwift speed is based on your power output, you can adjust how the Kickr replicates the on screen gradients in the settings...there is a slider that goes from 0-100, the default is 50. At 50, a 10% virtual hill will "feel" like a 5% slope. At 0, you won't feel any changes in slope at all, it will just be like a flat road even though the screen shows 13% or whatever. It boils own to how much shifting you want to do while riding.

No clue why you are stuck on Watopia...are you alone on the island some days? But you see chat messages?

carpediemracing
10-12-2016, 07:08 PM
I know that, but when I log in I only see the Watopia options. In the past there were others. I realize that there is a calendar which shows when different options are available, but for me it's been only Watopia for a while.

The "world" that shows up is depends on the date. You can specify the date to trick Zwift into thinking it's Richmond day or whatever.

The "course" is what you choose once you get into that world.

kramnnim
10-12-2016, 08:20 PM
This may be easier than changing the date... http://zwiftblog.com/world-tag/

pmac
10-12-2016, 08:49 PM
I had seen that, but never cared enough to look into it. Now I've got Zwift open, and on the course schedule it's Watopia for every day in October. Is that what others are seeing?

adub
10-12-2016, 08:56 PM
I had seen that, but never cared enough to look into it. Now I've got Zwift open, and on the course schedule it's Watopia for every day in October. Is that what others are seeing?

When I rode on October 10th & 11th it was London.

pmac
10-12-2016, 08:57 PM
Another question, as I'm sitting here looking at the screen without riding. I see that some riders have silver or grey baskets on the front of their bikes, and a few of these seem to have blue baskets. What do the baskets mean?

adub
10-12-2016, 08:59 PM
Another question, as I'm sitting here looking at the screen without riding. I see that some riders have silver or grey baskets on the front of their bikes, and a few of these seem to have blue baskets. What do the baskets mean?

They are in workout mode

kramnnim
10-12-2016, 09:37 PM

No... May want to open a ticket, support.zwift.com

drewskey
10-13-2016, 10:11 AM
Yeah, Zwift speed is based on power, so you'd shift gears and adjust your trainer resistance to change your power output.

And weight. For all that is good, please set your weight correctly. :D

carpediemracing
10-13-2016, 03:19 PM
Today I built a Windows 7 machine to do Zwift since my Mac is one affected by Zwift crashing (last update).

Updates with the Mac usually take a couple minutes. People complain all the time on Facebook about how long updates take. Now I realize they must be in Windows. Been probably 2 hours, still downloading. It's not our bandwidth, it's that the download is slow.

Now I'll have a dedicated Zwift machine with a decent graphics card and significantly faster CPU. Graphics went to a faster GPU (not sure of speeds), 2GB vs 256MB. CPU is from 2 Ghz 2 core to 3.33 GHz 3 cores. I'm curious to see how the graphics changes.

Also no more yanking the laptop off the totes when I sit up suddenly and the earbud cord pulls the thing to the floor.

simple
10-13-2016, 06:27 PM
Beacon is the yellow shield. If you pull back or you're farther away, there's a yellow pillar of light shining down on the ride leader.
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mpwiMc-MnZU/V-RiuBGDzBI/AAAAAAAAJWA/SWM0_lW6PHk02YEH1GSpgQWkpe73_9KAACLcB/s800/2016-09-22_1432257.jpg

Wow, people are ACTUALLY sticking to ~Sub 2? I gotta get on that ride. Yesterday's sub 2.5 ride was actually sub 4 (apparently) :no:

AngryScientist
10-13-2016, 06:34 PM
so you can elect to ride helmetless on zwift??

carpediemracing
10-13-2016, 07:05 PM
Wow, people are ACTUALLY sticking to ~Sub 2? I gotta get on that ride. Yesterday's sub 2.5 ride was actually sub 4 (apparently) :no:

I got shelled hard in that ride. The actually dropped the ride leader, F1 driver Romain Grosjean. Was supposed to be 2-2.5, it was pretty fast at the start.

I wrote a little blurb on my experience in the Sub2 facebook page ("what sub2 rides actually do sub2?", nothing more than that). One of the responses was essentially telling me to get more fit and go faster.

Apparently I have some sway because it started a bunch of discussion on slowing down sub2 rides and so far there have been some posts on how the sub2 rides have been sub2. One theme I've seen is 1.7 as the target pace, with 2.0 being the cap on the hills.

Of course I haven't been able to use Zwift due to an update that causes all older MacOS to crash, hence my Windows build. May get on tonight to see how much nicer it is (or not).

carpediemracing
10-13-2016, 07:10 PM
so you can elect to ride helmetless on zwift??

You get to choose helmet or not, glasses or not, hair color, your jersey (shorts automatch if applicable, shoes I think depend on your jersey? maybe frame?), your frame (and color), and wheels.

I think gloves or not, can't remember. I distinctly remember the crotchet back gloves on the steel frame. Might be bike specific?

If there's more I'm missing it.

Definitely no choice on the group. It comes with the bike. So if you want Campy you're limited to whatever choices of bikes that come with Campy "bars". Shimano, whatever else. Not sure if there's a SRAM group bike out there.

TT bike is an option. No drafting benefit but slight aero advantage when riding into the wind alone. Others can draft you.

You earn nicer wheels, nicer frames, and different jerseys. Wheels and bikes do make a difference in performance. Someone's calculated all that stuff.

carpediemracing
10-14-2016, 09:39 PM
Did a ride with the new machine. I forgot how long it takes to set up a desktop, and in my messy/cramped bike room it's just worse.

However it was interesting to see. 3.33 Ghz 3 core vs 2 Ghz 2 core. 2 GB video card (and much faster I assume) vs 256 MB card.

One thing that was kind of funny is that in groups I'd get these random snapshot views of people at odd angles to the road, like turning right or something, but on straights. It's like someone crashed in the road and everyone is swerving or something.

Today, with more than a few frames per second in a group, I realized what was happening. In Zwift when someone passes you, or a gap opens up to one side, the riders dive to close the gap. It's an "action" kind of thing, like swooping over to cover a move. In my old set up I only got a snapshot mid-swoop. Now I see that when one rider moves up everyone swerves over to get on the wheel. It's cool but doesn't execute well on a marginally spec'ed machine.

Today I happen to power up about 30 minutes before a Sub2 ride so I joined. They go allegedly under 2 w/kg. I was hovering around 2.1 w/kg a lot (and I was drafting), for me in the 140-145w range on Zwift. In real life that would be 175-180w based on the numbers I'd see from my SRM (which wasn't on). That's as hard as I go in a Cat 3 race.

An hour ride, little less actually, 53 min or something. I was so wiped out I passed out reading stories to Junior on the couch after dinner (not bed time). I started garbling words then suddenly startled myself awake. Junior was looking at me a bit quizzically. "Can you say the words?", pointing at the part I hadn't read.

Mzilliox
10-16-2016, 10:45 AM
ill start my zwwifting today, mzilliox for anyone who cares

AngryScientist
10-18-2016, 06:26 AM
i've heard some mention of a "powered" USB cable - do i need that or will a regular old 10' usb extension work for my dongle? like this one, for example:

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-USB-Extension-Cable-10-Feet/dp/B00001ZWXA

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41OWhpRvnJL._SX425_.jpg

shovelhd
10-18-2016, 06:31 AM
I use a powered one because that's what I had kicking around. It's not required.

AngryScientist
10-18-2016, 06:37 AM
thanks shovel.

stephenmarklay
10-18-2016, 07:21 AM
I am not sure why but I have not really looked into Zwift until now. It is funny how you can hear, read, ignore then all of a sudden realize. Strange how the brain works.

Since I am just setting it up and I have about the min requirements on my old MacBook I am not sure how it will go. I am using trainer road now.

Is there a way to do structured workout plans like trainer road? I am doing a Sweet Spot base, build and specialty this winter and would like to keep that up. I am finding it near impossible to do more that say 90 minutes of sweet spot. On Sunday my 2.5 -3 hour trainer ride is not happening.

makoti
10-18-2016, 07:23 AM
One thing that was kind of funny is that in groups I'd get these random snapshot views of people at odd angles to the road, like turning right or something, but on straights. It's like someone crashed in the road and everyone is swerving or something.

I believe that is a connection issue. I had that for a while, but it seemed to have corrected itself the last time I used it. Nothing I did, maybe the network improved?

stephenmarklay
10-18-2016, 07:27 AM

Yep this would be fun.

stephenmarklay
10-18-2016, 07:55 AM
Questions:

Do I need to have my computer close enough to fiddle with Zwift while riding? I would prefer to set it up and not have to tinker during a ride.

How do you know when rides are? I guess the fundamental question is if I want to ride do I need to think about schedules etc?

sitzmark
10-18-2016, 08:18 AM
Questions:

Do I need to have my computer close enough to fiddle with Zwift while riding? I would prefer to set it up and not have to tinker during a ride.

No. It is possible to "set and forget".

If you want in-ride control use either the bluetooth connected smartphone app or get yourself a bluetooth trackpad and keep/mount them near your trainer. The phone app allows you to scroll Zwift screens/functions. BT trackpad (or mouse) allows point/click control of computer (not just Zwift app). BT in MacBook makes this easy.

stephenmarklay
10-18-2016, 10:00 AM
Thanks, I am running a mac. I tried to make it work this am but I could not get the BT to pick up my HR nor power. I will play with it again tomorrow.

sitzmark
10-18-2016, 10:45 AM
Thanks, I am running a mac. I tried to make it work this am but I could not get the BT to pick up my HR nor power. I will play with it again tomorrow.

To use BT (BLE) sensors you'll have to work through Zwift Mobile smartphone app. Sync sensors with phone and use app to transfer data to mac via WiFi network. There's a pairing process between phone and sensors that has to complete before you can "go live" on screen. This is where a trackpad can help - sometimes you have to click and reset sensors to pair.

Easier to use ANT+ sensors and a USB ANT+ dongle connected to mac, but if you don't have them the mobile app is your alternative. Sounds more complicated than it is. Have fun with it!

carpediemracing
10-18-2016, 11:26 AM
I believe that is a connection issue. I had that for a while, but it seemed to have corrected itself the last time I used it. Nothing I did, maybe the network improved?

The stuttering screen, which made the riders point in seemingly random directions, was 100% my machine's weak graphics cards.

If names disappear from the right column that's the connection from the computer to the Zwift servers, either your house wifi got inundated (someone started streaming a movie) or your actual connection to the outside slowed down.

With cable internet my understanding is that you share your connection with the others in your area so if everyone starts to stream stuff then your connection suffers. It's like everyone being on the same router. X bandwidth available for all. With DSL it's more like a switch, you have a certain amount (usually less) bandwidth but it's all yours, your neighbors don't affect it.

I think thought that you might have had local/home things happening. Your machine (or another one) might have started downloading an update. Or someone started watching something. Etc.

carpediemracing
10-18-2016, 11:32 AM
Questions:

How do you know when rides are? I guess the fundamental question is if I want to ride do I need to think about schedules etc?

I have my keyboard close enough to fiddle. For example it's much easier typing a message into a keyboard than a phone, especially if your fingers are a bit sweaty. It's easier to click on someone on the main screen to give them a thumbs up / Ride On. Etc.

Phone app is good for screenshots, switching views, personal messaging (can't do that on the computer), and seeing more data on the rider like actual first name, some set up data (not necessarily available on the computer).

You really want both the phone and the keyboard.

For me I want to find my wireless keyboard. I have one with a trackball I think, that would be perfect. I'd want to rig up a hinge like a wall lamp so I can swing it out, type, and swing it back against the wall when I'm done.

Zwift events:
http://zwift.com/events/
With those the leader has the yellow beacon, etc.

If you go to Facebook there are a slew of Zwift related groups. Zwift Riders (the main one). I joined the Sub2 group as well (sub 2 w/kg). There's a Sub 2.5. Some others.

stephenmarklay
10-18-2016, 05:43 PM
I dowloaded the iPhone app too. So you can ride with both the phone and the computer running?

I may try to ride the Sub2 at 5:00pm. I am not sure who’s 5:00pm it is though :)

EDIT: Ok I joined the group and I see the ride was at 11:00 this morning.

sitzmark
10-18-2016, 06:18 PM
I dowloaded the iPhone app too. So you can ride with both the phone and the computer running?

I may try to ride the Sub2 at 5:00pm. I am not sure who’s 5:00pm it is though :)

Yes .... and no. Zwift will not run stand-alone on your phone - only on the computer. Zwift mobile app is a "companion app" that adds functionality if it can connect your computer and phone on the same network (WiFi).

You don't need Zwift mobile (nice to have tho) unless you only have bluetooth sensors (HR, power, cadence, etc.). Zwift cannot utilize the BLE channel built-in to your mac to connect to sensors. Connecting sensors directly to the computer requires sensors capable of ANT+ protocol and a USB ANT+ dongle plugged into your computer.

Some sensors only capable of ANT+ or BLE. Some will transmit using both.

adub
10-18-2016, 06:42 PM
For those of you that are having slow, choppy graphics, in the Zwift settings menu set graphics resolution to medium if you have it on high. This smoothed out the graphics for me and the overall graphics quality is still good. Not sure if it was a computer issue, or internet issue but this solved it.

carpediemracing
10-18-2016, 06:44 PM
For those of you that are having slow, choppy graphics, in the Zwift settings menu set graphics resolution to medium if you have it on high. This smoothed out the graphics for me and the overall graphics quality is still good. Not sure if it was a computer issue, or internet issue but this solved it.

FYI on my Mac I was on low, even zero'ed out something in the config file (whatever it's called on the Mac) and that's where I was stuttering. It's pretty bad.

carpediemracing
10-18-2016, 06:47 PM

EDIT: Ok I joined the group and I see the ride was at 11:00 this morning.

You can run both computer and phone, and in fact when you look at the column of riders to the right, if they have a phone icon it means they're running a phone.

Right now there is a beta for iPhone users, Zwift will stand alone on an iPhone or on an iPad. However they've had over 10k applicants and have extended applications to just 700 of them.

The event site should resolve to local time. That 5 PM Sub2 ride was probably a UK ride. There aren't a lot of rides during the times I can get on the bike.

I'm at best a Sub2 rider.

stephenmarklay
10-18-2016, 08:33 PM
Yes .... and no. Zwift will not run stand-alone on your phone - only on the computer. Zwift mobile app is a "companion app" that adds functionality if it can connect your computer and phone on the same network (WiFi).

You don't need Zwift mobile (nice to have tho) unless you only have bluetooth sensors (HR, power, cadence, etc.). Zwift cannot utilize the BLE channel built-in to your mac to connect to sensors. Connecting sensors directly to the computer requires sensors capable of ANT+ protocol and a USB ANT+ dongle plugged into your computer.

Some sensors only capable of ANT+ or BLE. Some will transmit using both.

Thanks! I was able to get it rolling in the nick of time to try tonight. Yeah I could not figure out why my mac BT would not pick up my bluetooth power. I did have an ant+ dongle and got HR working. Then I was able to get my power via my phone.

It all worked out and I got an hour ride.

stephenmarklay
10-18-2016, 08:41 PM
You can run both computer and phone, and in fact when you look at the column of riders to the right, if they have a phone icon it means they're running a phone.

Right now there is a beta for iPhone users, Zwift will stand alone on an iPhone or on an iPad. However they've had over 10k applicants and have extended applications to just 700 of them.

The event site should resolve to local time. That 5 PM Sub2 ride was probably a UK ride. There aren't a lot of rides during the times I can get on the bike.

I'm at best a Sub2 rider.

Thanks again. I joined the Sub2 ride. It was kind of a mess as the leader had to bail at the last minute. The top 15 riders were all riding closer to 2.5-3.

Can a crafty rider like you transfer any of that into this kind of riding?

stephenmarklay
10-18-2016, 08:43 PM
I was actually impressed my 4 year old MacBook air worked. I think it is about the min but I was it was fine. I am sure it would be better with a newer machine but I did not really have any problems.

sitzmark
10-18-2016, 10:46 PM
I was actually impressed my 4 year old MacBook air worked. I think it is about the min but I was it was fine. I am sure it would be better with a newer machine but I did not really have any problems.

Happy to hear it worked out. I run Zwift on a 2012 MBAir i7 as well. It runs best when the MB is networked (thunderbolt/RJ45) through a cinema display, but even networked by WiFi it has been fine. FWIW I've also run Zwift on my 2012 mac mini i7 quad core server and didn't notice much of a difference. Have fun with it. :beer:

carpediemracing
10-19-2016, 04:10 AM
Thanks again. I joined the Sub2 ride. It was kind of a mess as the leader had to bail at the last minute. The top 15 riders were all riding closer to 2.5-3.

Can a crafty rider like you transfer any of that into this kind of riding?

No. 2.5 and I'm off the back shortly. Everyone can "draft" as well as me, and the drafting engine/algorithm is harder than reality. Any soft pedaling and you start going backward right away. Apparently I soft pedal a lot in races. I know at Bethel I'm usually at 0 watts for 20-30 seconds of a 2 minute lap. That's every lap. In one race, in the last lap, I was at 0 power for I think 4 or 5 seconds in the last 300-400 meters (finishes in an uphill so it's slower than if it were flat). And I placed in the sprint. I was waiting for a gap to open.

stephenmarklay
10-19-2016, 07:30 AM
Happy to hear it worked out. I run Zwift on a 2012 MBAir i7 as well. It runs best when the MB is networked (thunderbolt/RJ45) through a cinema display, but even networked by WiFi it has been fine. FWIW I've also run Zwift on my 2012 mac mini i7 quad core server and didn't notice much of a difference. Have fun with it. :beer:

Thanks! I actually may be able to pull a cable from my modem out to the spot I ride pretty easily. I am going to check that out. Dropping the signal would be a pain in the butt.

I do have a 43” display in the garage hooked up to the mac which was pretty nice too.

stephenmarklay
10-19-2016, 07:32 AM
No. 2.5 and I'm off the back shortly. Everyone can "draft" as well as me, and the drafting engine/algorithm is harder than reality. Any soft pedaling and you start going backward right away. Apparently I soft pedal a lot in races. I know at Bethel I'm usually at 0 watts for 20-30 seconds of a 2 minute lap. That's every lap. In one race, in the last lap, I was at 0 power for I think 4 or 5 seconds in the last 300-400 meters (finishes in an uphill so it's slower than if it were flat). And I placed in the sprint. I was waiting for a gap to open.

Well at least you get a workout. In the end your ability to place in racing is what matters and you seem to have that down.

stephenmarklay
10-19-2016, 07:43 AM
I have to say that Zwift will allow me to get some more time on the bike for sure. Its is funny the first thing I did this morning was look at the rides today and today is not a ride day for me.

On Sunday this will be a big help for sure.

AngryScientist
10-19-2016, 07:46 AM
I have to say that Zwift will allow me to get some more time on the bike for sure. Its is funny the first thing I did this morning was look at the rides today and today is not a ride day for me.

On Sunday this will be a big help for sure.

this is what i'm hoping for myself too. it's too easy to bail on doing anything when the weather is bad, but any motivation i can find will help.

i'm hoping my trainer will be in from Germany sometime next week.

the weather here in NYC is still incredibly summer like though!

Dave B
10-19-2016, 07:49 AM
So am I understanding ZWIFT puts on a ride and you can join in? Can you do solo stuff or just ride with a buddy?

Say I wanted to ride with just one other person, is that possible?

mvnsnd
10-19-2016, 08:30 AM
It's not always Zwift who organizes rides, but sometimes they will with pro's or others. Other group rides are put on by individuals. If you can coordinate a buddy, use the phone app to friend him. Then you will see that he is online when you start Zwift and can be placed in the same area when you start. Otherwise there is almost always other people riding or groups conducting rides.

See here for a rough schedule:

https://teamup.com/ks4861763bd63ce3d8/

ergott
10-19-2016, 08:33 AM
So am I understanding ZWIFT puts on a ride and you can join in? Can you do solo stuff or just ride with a buddy?

Say I wanted to ride with just one other person, is that possible?

I do the majority of my riding solo. I'm doing workouts or efforts of the climbs and not really there to do group rides most of the time.

kramnnim
10-19-2016, 09:44 AM
Trying to hang with people faster than me in various races/group rides has made me work harder than I typically would solo...

ergott
10-19-2016, 09:48 AM
For me, Watopia mountain is the perfect effort length (with and without radio tower). Climbs make me push harder than I usually do. When I want to do smaller efforts and of the other climbs on the various routes are great substitutes.

Funny, climbing is not my forte due to my power/weight ratio yet it's where I can be found suffering the most.

Dave B
10-19-2016, 10:00 AM
Trying to hang with people faster than me in various races/group rides has made me work harder than I typically would solo...

Yeah I am hoping for a bit of that as well. I found out that one of the ladies I teach with is married to the number two guy at SRAM here in Indy. I have met up with him and a few of his co-workers for rides. I have my a$$ handed to me often and I love it. They average well above my norm and yeah it makes me better...tired and sore, but better.

Good times

Spdntrxi
10-19-2016, 10:03 AM
I'm coming up on my strava free 2 months.. Tacx Neo in route.. I'm ready. Have not been on since a rainy month of march where I decided to pony up the $$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stephenmarklay
10-19-2016, 10:44 AM
this is what i'm hoping for myself too. it's too easy to bail on doing anything when the weather is bad, but any motivation i can find will help.

i'm hoping my trainer will be in from Germany sometime next week.

the weather here in NYC is still incredibly summer like though!

I am using trainer road for structure and I am fine 60-90 minutes of intervals (sub threshold) but on Sunday it has me doing about 2.5-3 hours and I did not do it Sunday. I think with Zwift I will be able to get more base miles.

I will have to be careful as it is like all group riding. You tend to go faster than is needed for early base miles. The Sub2 and 2.5 groups make sense for me right now.

carpediemracing
10-19-2016, 10:44 AM
Well at least you get a workout. In the end your ability to place in racing is what matters and you seem to have that down.

Yes and no. I'm a bit disappointed in myself on Zwift because I really can't stay with anyone. Even with powermeter stuff I've sort of hidden myself from that because on a group ride I can hang with people on flats, through turns, etc. On hills, fine, I get shelled.

In Zwift the corners aren't corners, you can go full speed through them (bottom of the observatory climb I've hit 69 mph and gone through the turn at the t-intersection at something like 50 mph, which in real life would have launched me off the cliff), etc.

So in Zwift I'm really, really weak. All my "skilz" get nullified. I get shelled on flats.

stephenmarklay
10-19-2016, 10:46 AM
I'm coming up on my strava free 2 months.. Tacx Neo in route.. I'm ready. Have not been on since a rainy month of march where I decided to pony up the $$

Yeah I am going to have to start looking at smart trainers next.

Spdntrxi
10-19-2016, 12:01 PM
I am using trainer road for structure and I am fine 60-90 minutes of intervals (sub threshold) but on Sunday it has me doing about 2.5-3 hours and I did not do it Sunday. I think with Zwift I will be able to get more base miles.

I will have to be careful as it is like all group riding. You tend to go faster than is needed for early base miles. The Sub2 and 2.5 groups make sense for me right now.

I did a couple 2.5 races earlier in the year .. I averaged 2.5... the winners did nearly 3.0..I thought that was rather lame.

Miller76
10-19-2016, 12:15 PM
The Dream Set Up......

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161019/e1a273453e708283559faf4aa4830cc9.png

Snagged this screenshot from a Zwift video on YouTube

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161019/3ef2ce8bfb25d159b9663453b1366553.png

Just sold a bike to a buddy so now I have cash for a dedicated laptop and can upgrade to a smart trainer. Hope to be set up and ready to go by the weekend!!!

Spdntrxi
10-19-2016, 12:41 PM
^ no that fan is way to small .. trust me

I will have a tacx neo and use a wahoo desk with a 24inch LCD .. I have a spare 40 LCD but the location on my trainer .. 40 is too wide. Industrial fan providing the wind cooling

stephenmarklay
10-19-2016, 03:03 PM
I did a couple 2.5 races earlier in the year .. I averaged 2.5... the winners did nearly 3.0..I thought that was rather lame.

I’m not surprised. I did the sub2 ride and I was at 2.5+ to be in the top 10. I saw one guy climbing at 4 +.

I don’t really care I just want to get into better shape. I am saving my energy for the real deal :D

It would be super fun to have a bunch of pace liners on there.

AngryScientist
10-22-2016, 11:38 AM
good news: tacx vortex smart arrived today

bad news: the plug attached to it:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Euro-Flachstecker_2.jpg

stephenmarklay
10-22-2016, 11:45 AM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Euro-Flachstecker_2.jpg

Does it have a dual voltage transformer? If so an adapter is an easy fix.

stephenmarklay
10-22-2016, 11:54 AM
In did a ride this morning on Zwift. I actually rode pretty hard and I had already done an hour of over/unders on trainer road.

Zwift is a little hard for me to keep track of where I am at compared to the pack. I think I finished the ride behind the front pack but maybe in the top 10. I am not sure if you can how you really know.

unterhausen
10-22-2016, 12:00 PM

does the cord have an iec connector on the brick end? I can't imagine the brick isn't dual voltage. I have a pile of converters for those plugs at work, I forget why, but they obviously will never be used.

AngryScientist
10-22-2016, 12:06 PM
it does have a variable voltage transformer, just confirmed that on the tacx site. i'm just going to cut that plug off and put a new end on.

stephenmarklay
10-22-2016, 12:10 PM
it does have a variable voltage transformer, just confirmed that on the tacx site. i'm just going to cut that plug off and put a new end on.

I am sure you can get an adapter at a store near you.

Miller76
10-22-2016, 01:32 PM
Got a call from REI while driving home from work last night, they had a KICKR2 in stock that the original buyer decided not to collect. Needless to say after my girls where in bed I moved a few things around the basement and set it all up. Obviously looking to move a few things around but this 40 year old father of two was super excited to give it a try. Did an FTP at midnight and plan to ride again this afternoon.... http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161022/a418d6ed05265c99e44e4374f2cb8f89.jpg

weisan
10-22-2016, 06:13 PM
Just move my old LOOK carbon bike upstairs closer to my computer and screen. Also just got the USB Ant+ dongle in the mail, bought it off eBay for $15 shipped. In the process of signing up ZWIFT free trial.....wait out.

weisan
10-22-2016, 06:23 PM
Just move my old LOOK carbon bike upstairs closer to my computer and screen. Also just got the USB Ant+ dongle in the mail, bought it off eBay for $15 shipped. In the process of signing up ZWIFT free trial.....wait out.

ZWIFT picked up the data from the USB ANT+ dongle which picked up the signal from the Powertap...but ran into one issue:

Why does it seem like I am pushing much harder to get the same wattage that I would see riding on the road?

I mean, 65 W feels like 250 W riding outside. :confused:

carpediemracing
10-22-2016, 06:38 PM
ZWIFT picked up the data from the USB ANT+ dongle which picked up the signal from the Powertap...but ran into one issue:

Why does it seem like I am pushing much harder to get the same wattage that I would see riding on the road?

What trainer?

weisan
10-22-2016, 06:59 PM
What trainer?

An older Minoura Interim RDA Ergo

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/MN8AAOSwyjBW31Dk/s-l225.jpg

kramnnim
10-22-2016, 07:05 PM
Do the watts displayed on the screen match the watts on your Garmin?

stephenmarklay
10-22-2016, 07:38 PM

Yeah you will get hooked. My 14 day trial lasted 2 days. I guess you can only do a set number of KMs

stephenmarklay
10-22-2016, 07:41 PM

Hmm strange.

weisan
10-22-2016, 08:06 PM
Do the watts displayed on the screen match the watts on your Garmin?

Nevermind!

Yes it does.

I am an idiot.

This is what happened.

I sat on the floor and turned the cranks with MY HANDS...and I thought to myself..."hmmm, this is a LOT of work...to get a meagre 65 watts...I bet it should be easier than that..."

And then I finally got off my big fat a$$, put on my shoes and hop on the bike and use MY LEGS to turn the cranks...Oh My Word! This is so much easier! And now, I am having problem going beyond 220=230 watts before my trainer start slippin' during my FTP test. :D

Sorry for the false alarm. I am going to call it a day...er....a night rather. I have a group ride tomorrow early morning, the weather forecast - low 50s during start time at 8 am and rising to low 70s before noon. It's still too nice to be riding indoors! :hello:

kramnnim
10-22-2016, 09:41 PM
Lol. That's great. 65w with your arm is quite a bit.

carpediemracing
10-23-2016, 06:38 AM
Nevermind!

Yes it does.

I am an idiot.

This is what happened.

I sat on the floor and turned the cranks with MY HANDS...and I thought to myself..."hmmm, this is a LOT of work...to get a meagre 65 watts...I bet it should be easier than that..."

And then I finally got off my big fat a$$, put on my shoes and hop on the bike and use MY LEGS to turn the cranks...Oh My Word! This is so much easier! And now, I am having problem going beyond 220=230 watts before my trainer start slippin' during my FTP test. :D

Sorry for the false alarm. I am going to call it a day...er....a night rather. I have a group ride tomorrow early morning, the weather forecast - low 50s during start time at 8 am and rising to low 70s before noon. It's still too nice to be riding indoors! :hello:

Lots of tire pressure and lots of roller tension.

I grab the wheel and jerk it back and forth. If there's slippy sounds I tighten the roller, if possible. The tire is at 100-110 psi. I have a different trainer (KK Road Machine), I think it has a bigger diameter roller, and although the tire slips at absolute peak output I can't sustain a tire-slipping level of power. On Zwift I've held 850-1000w, and Zwift shorts my power just a bit so I'm putting more power to the roller.

stephenmarklay
10-23-2016, 07:02 AM
Lots of tire pressure and lots of roller tension.

I grab the wheel and jerk it back and forth. If there's slippy sounds I tighten the roller, if possible. The tire is at 100-110 psi. I have a different trainer (KK Road Machine), I think it has a bigger diameter roller, and although the tire slips at absolute peak output I can't sustain a tire-slipping level of power. On Zwift I've held 850-1000w, and Zwift shorts my power just a bit so I'm putting more power to the roller.

On my KK I had went to 120psi. I do 3.5 turns of the wheel and I use rubbing alcohol on the tire and trainer just to keep things from slipping.

But if you are accelerating hard to 1000w you may get some slipping.

BTW if you can hold 1000w it seems like a sub2 ride would be cake of you. Even a sub2.5. What is your threshold?

weisan
10-23-2016, 06:32 PM
For your trainer make sure it's on the list of supported trainers. If not you'll be disappointed in the capped performance (for example 400w cap for unsupported trainer) or Zwift will be crediting you with weird power readings.

second time on ZWIFT earlier. Apparently, it picked up from my powertap and went beyond 400w...465 to be exact.

My current ZWIFT setup:

1) PC - PowerEdge Server Xeon, SSD, Radeon graphics
2) Garmin ANT+ dongle
3) Powertap Pro+ rear wheel
4) Minoura Ergo RDA
5) Bike: LOOK KG 281

Still missing: D

http://cdn2.bigassfans.com/images/black_jack_merchant_dist_hero-1000x665.jpg

weisan
10-23-2016, 06:41 PM
See here for a rough schedule:

https://teamup.com/ks4861763bd63ce3d8/

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

stephenmarklay
10-23-2016, 07:19 PM
second time on ZWIFT earlier. Apparently, it picked up from my powertap and went beyond 400w...465 to be exact.

My current ZWIFT setup:

1) PC - PowerEdge Server Xeon, SSD, Radeon graphics
2) Garmin ANT+ dongle
3) Powertap Pro+ rear wheel
4) Minoura Ergo RDA
5) Bike: LOOK KG 281

Still missing: D

http://cdn2.bigassfans.com/images/black_jack_merchant_dist_hero-1000x665.jpg

Oh yeah!

stephenmarklay
10-23-2016, 07:20 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I saw that too but I don’t think it is comprehensive.

carpediemracing
10-23-2016, 08:35 PM
On my KK I had went to 120psi. I do 3.5 turns of the wheel and I use rubbing alcohol on the tire and trainer just to keep things from slipping.

But if you are accelerating hard to 1000w you may get some slipping.

BTW if you can hold 1000w it seems like a sub2 ride would be cake of you. Even a sub2.5. What is your threshold?

Threshold is about 2.6 in real life. zPower is 2.2.

If peak power : threshold then Chris Hoy would be winning all the Tours.

My threshold is about 205w, probably a bit lower. Subtract 35w for the zPower delta (at least according to my SRM when it was up). So 170w, give or take. 77-78 kg.

I struggle to maintain 170-175w in Zwift. I'm usually in the 80-100w range for an average ride.

To accelerate hard I hit 1000w (or higher). Then it tapers. I don't accelerate to 1000w. It's a peak thing. How long I can hold it is related to fitness. Right now it's maybe 5-7 seconds. More in-season, like in 2015, I could hold it for 20 seconds.

stephenmarklay
10-23-2016, 09:40 PM
Threshold is about 2.6 in real life. zPower is 2.2.

If peak power : threshold then Chris Hoy would be winning all the Tours.

My threshold is about 205w, probably a bit lower. Subtract 35w for the zPower delta (at least according to my SRM when it was up). So 170w, give or take. 77-78 kg.

I struggle to maintain 170-175w in Zwift. I'm usually in the 80-100w range for an average ride.

To accelerate hard I hit 1000w (or higher). Then it tapers. I don't accelerate to 1000w. It's a peak thing. How long I can hold it is related to fitness. Right now it's maybe 5-7 seconds. More in-season, like in 2015, I could hold it for 20 seconds.

I have to be honest I just don’t have a good enough feel for power to make a lot of sense out of it all. Having said that if you could hold 1000w for 20 seconds that impresses me anyway.

Somehow I just don’t see how your power is 80-100w compared to what I am doing. I think it is apples to oranges. Since you are a successful racer I don’t put a lot of weight into that.

I had a power meter but now I am using my kurt kinetic with the little Inride power thing. I did a trainer road 8 minute FTP test and that was 291. I think it is probably OK for and 8 min test but I am not fooling myself that I can hold 291 for and hour. When I had my powertap it was slightly higher but I was in better shape then. But I am good 185-190 so hauling that around is not a simple matter.

I do know that my 65 year old team mate that I rode with today rides as fast as I do or faster so I guess it only counts when the rubber hits the road.

If I can be at 300 for Ftp and drop to 80kg for next season I will be pretty happy.

weisan
10-23-2016, 11:11 PM
I will admit that I don't have much experience riding on trainers...did I say I hate indoor riding?? :D

I have a problem maintaining at the higher watts (>300) not just physically but the bike is shaking over the trainer that I am afraid I might fall over anytime.

carpediemracing
10-24-2016, 06:27 AM
I have to be honest I just don’t have a good enough feel for power to make a lot of sense out of it all. Having said that if you could hold 1000w for 20 seconds that impresses me anyway.

Somehow I just don’t see how your power is 80-100w compared to what I am doing. I think it is apples to oranges. Since you are a successful racer I don’t put a lot of weight into that.

I had a power meter but now I am using my kurt kinetic with the little Inride power thing. I did a trainer road 8 minute FTP test and that was 291. I think it is probably OK for and 8 min test but I am not fooling myself that I can hold 291 for and hour. When I had my powertap it was slightly higher but I was in better shape then. But I am good 185-190 so hauling that around is not a simple matter.

I do know that my 65 year old team mate that I rode with today rides as fast as I do or faster so I guess it only counts when the rubber hits the road.

If I can be at 300 for Ftp and drop to 80kg for next season I will be pretty happy.

291w is very, very good, if that's what your FTP worked out to. I have a friend (about 6') that won a smaller tri overall in Florida and his FTP is around 280-285w. It might have been a touch higher but I don't think it'd have been much. It was a big deal for him when he went from 280w to 283w.

To give you an idea I struggled very, very hard to do an 8 minute interval holding 217-248w. I think I could hold about 230w, and I thought I was doing well to do that.

carpediemracing
10-24-2016, 06:34 AM
I will admit that I don't have much experience riding on trainers...did I say I hate indoor riding?? :D

I have a problem maintaining at the higher watts (>300) not just physically but the bike is shaking over the trainer that I am afraid I might fall over anytime.

If your bike is moving a lot then that's a different problem to tackle, unless you're out of the saddle. You should be able to smooth out your pedal stroke so you're not bouncing around or moving too much. It might mean gearing up - spinning like mad isn't super smooth for most of us mortals.

stephenmarklay
10-24-2016, 06:34 AM

I think that is one of the real benefits of doing trainer work. I have been working on a slightly higher cadence and much smoother stroke.

Just try and stay loose and don’t over emphasize any portion. Don’t mash :no:

stephenmarklay
10-24-2016, 06:38 AM
291w is very, very good, if that's what your FTP worked out to. I have a friend (about 6') that won a smaller tri overall in Florida and his FTP is around 280-285w. It might have been a touch higher but I don't think it'd have been much. It was a big deal for him when he went from 280w to 283w.

To give you an idea I struggled very, very hard to do an 8 minute interval holding 217-248w. I think I could hold about 230w, and I thought I was doing well to do that.

I am starting to appreciate that marginal gains idea. They say you can get 5 watts out of a properly lubed chain.

If I remember your position on the bike is really aggressive. I wonder how many watts at speed that is worth? I bet 20-30 watts is not out of the question. That is a huge difference.

ergott
10-24-2016, 06:54 AM

What kind of speed are you getting up to on say a flat, not windy stretch with that power?

carpediemracing
10-24-2016, 10:01 AM
I am starting to appreciate that marginal gains idea. They say you can get 5 watts out of a properly lubed chain.

If I remember your position on the bike is really aggressive. I wonder how many watts at speed that is worth? I bet 20-30 watts is not out of the question. That is a huge difference.

My body's position is not very aggressive. In fact my back is at best almost flat but usually pointing up a bit. I'm low because I have short legs, not because my bars are extraordinarily low.

My bike's position is admittedly aggressive. But that's just a reflection on my short legs, long cranks (so saddle is more forward - if I used 165s my saddle could move back 10mm), and my preference to have the drops at a certain point relative to the cranks.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10348551_10153139074219768_8882017043033874261_n.j pg?oh=95e2944c5ef920c04ec9e3c3280214c7&oe=589F445A

In terms of power, I think it's worth a significant or at least measurable amount. I remember one day before a Tues Night race Shovel and I were warming up side by side. I think I was asking him what kind of power he was putting down, going easy like we were, maybe 15-16 mph. We ended up reading out power numbers to each other, like "160""148" "150""132" or whatever. I was consistently lower, by a decent amount, maybe 10-20w. He's only a bit taller than me on the bike and he's a lot skinnier, I'm like one of those ships with the big square sides, he's more like a conning tower on a sub. Granted, not very scientific, I probably had massive aero wheels on and he probably didn't, but still, it was interesting.

carpediemracing
10-24-2016, 10:10 AM
What kind of speed are you getting up to on say a flat, not windy stretch with that power?

I have no idea actually. I haven't ridden outside for a long time. But in Dec 2014 when I did some rides it looks like 180w = about 18 mph, give or take. Jet 6/9 wheels, red bike.

I know my best ever 40k TT was 1:03:30 or so - I figure that's a pretty accurate representation of an FTP performance, 23 mph. Disk wheel, 24" front, aero bars, skinsuit, aero helmet (Specialized TT helmet), I was in good shape, etc. A teammate Jim did a 58:something, no aero wheels, drop bars. Winners were in the 53-55 minute range with aero wheels, TT bars.

My best 7 mile TT was 16:28, again, TT bike with disk, 24" front, skinsuit, aero helmet, aero bars. Jim did consistent 15:30s or so on his non-aero bike; my leadout man Mike would do about 15:00-15:15s, no aero stuff. Best were in the 14:05-14:20 range with aero wheels and TT bars.

carpediemracing
10-24-2016, 10:22 AM
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/424779_10150658044162140_1997882258_n.jpg?oh=a8e63 20b85bfbc0bc713e19f2b54c721&oe=588A628F

In a sprint I'm lower, and I think that's a huge part of my racing "repertoire". In that picture above I'm to the left, red/black with the helmet cam. My teammate to the right won. I got 8th, wasn't very good on the bike. If I was good, with that position at 100m to go, I think 2nd or 3rd would have been solid, a win would have been out of this world.

Video of the same finish, finish lap starts at around 9:30 or something:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g2fwPkigE0

weisan
10-24-2016, 11:59 AM
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/424779_10150658044162140_1997882258_n.jpg?oh=a8e63 20b85bfbc0bc713e19f2b54c721&oe=588A628F

In a sprint I'm lower, and I think that's a huge part of my racing "repertoire". In that picture above I'm to the left, red/black with the helmet cam. My teammate to the right won. I got 8th, wasn't very good on the bike. If I was good, with that position at 100m to go, I think 2nd or 3rd would have been solid, a win would have been out of this world.

Video of the same finish, finish lap starts at around 9:30 or something:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g2fwPkigE0

Nice video, Carpediem pal!

You know what I would give up one of my nuts for...?

Is to have Peter Sagan do a play-by-play commentary as he squeezes through the narrowest of gaps to win a sprint... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5piWBWPh9vI

http://giphy.com/search/peter-sagan

Messy zwift pain cave... :hello:

Miller76
10-24-2016, 12:37 PM
thought this might be of interest given the number of questions regarding computing power etc - http://zwiftblog.com/zwiftalizer-benchmarks/

haven't had a chance to read it all yet, too busy enjoying zwift!!!

weisan
10-24-2016, 01:16 PM
Total $ investment getting into ZWIFT so far...

Computer + bigger screen monitor - already have one - $0
Bike - already have a spare collecting dust - $0
Trainer - picked one up in my local thrift store a few months ago - $10
Powermeter - already got a powertap pro+ rear wheel that I bought a few months ago - $0
ANT+ dongle - $15 ebay
Fan - got a portable one we used on camping trips, more than adequate -$0
Remote control - spare Moto G Android phone - installed ZWIFT mobile app

Time to set up: Less than an hour

14-day free trial

Sign up for one month Strava Premium - get two months free on ZWIFT Nov 1 - Dec 31

shovelhd
10-24-2016, 05:35 PM
I've probably raced with CDR more than anyone else on this forum, although I was one category higher most of the time. He's an anomaly. You have to put his comments in perspective. I've led him out multiple times in my second or third race of the day. I had to be very careful not to drop him in the last Km, and eat lots of air to give him maximum shelter. He has a killer kick, a Cav like sprint position, and excellent race reading ability. He doesn't do as well from more than 200m out, but he will crush you inside 100m.

weisan
10-24-2016, 05:55 PM
I've probably raced with CDR more than anyone else on this forum, although I was one category higher most of the time. He's an anomaly. You have to put his comments in perspective. I've led him out multiple times in my second or third race of the day. I had to be very careful not to drop him in the last Km, and eat lots of air to give him maximum shelter. He has a killer kick, a Cav like sprint position, and excellent race reading ability. He doesn't do as well from more than 200m out, but he will crush you inside 100m.

CDR and shovel pals, can y'all show us how that's done on ZWIFT? :D

shovelhd
10-24-2016, 06:14 PM
CDR and shovel pals, can y'all show us how that's done on ZWIFT? :D

He would have to use a power up.

carpediemracing
10-24-2016, 06:19 PM
My zwift cave is pretty messy. I need to take an updated picture as I have a desktop for Zwift and a smallish 23" monitor. I want to put up a little shelf for a keyboard. If I can find a wireless one I had that would be ideal. Would like it hinged so I can swing it away before sprints or whatever.

I did hook up the two big old speakers (my receiver/amp died) I had back in college to a stereo my dad had (his stereo had bad speakers). When I'm on my own in the house I'll crank it up. Should be fun. Volume even has a remote so that's nice.

carpediemracing
10-24-2016, 06:24 PM
Shovel leading me out. Start at about 13:40.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRJrWJ09Mwc

View from the line. Break wins, field sprint is visible from around 35 seconds in.

SpeedyChix
10-24-2016, 06:52 PM
This thread and the weather are reminding me it's time to fire up the Mac mini and update Zwift. It was a real plus to use it last winter and anticipate it'll get me through another long winter. However I really enjoyed the mtb ride I got in today.

stephenmarklay
10-25-2016, 02:17 PM
Maybe we should have a Zwift thread (sticky?) that folks can say what rides/races they will be participating in so we can ride and work together.

carpediemracing
10-25-2016, 03:06 PM
I think a paceline zwift ride would be good. Well I think I'd struggle but that's okay. I figure it'd be like forum stuff in real time.

Sticky might be a bit much for now.

Having said that I'm leaving tonight and won't be back until tomorrow night so no Zwifting for at least a couple days.

mtb_frk
10-27-2016, 07:59 PM
Has anyone had a chance to try out the iOS beta version of it?

Miller76
10-28-2016, 01:39 PM
ZwiftHQ has posted a notice that 1) they will be sending out many more iOS beta invites this week and 2) Zwift for iOS will be publicly available in the App Store in the next 4-6 weeks.
As of October 14th ZwiftHQ had sent out 700 iOS beta invitations, which was a drop in the bucket compared to the… wait for it… 10,000 beta tester signups they had received.
So it appears at least another 2,800 beta testers will be invited in the next week.
I’m looking forward to the launch of Zwift for iOS–it will greatly expand the Zwift community and bring the amazing Zwift experience to many new riders! #RideOn!

http://zwiftblog.com/zwift-ios-coming-4-6-weeks/

Andreas
10-28-2016, 05:02 PM
I got an iOS invite, but since the ipad does not support ant+ it only works with bluetooth smart powermeters/trainers, of which I don't have one. Not ready to invest in like a wahoo, I hate indoor riding too much to justify that expense.

As a side note, I am impressed with some of these climbing efforts of people. My FTP is 321 watts weighing 67kg and people are flying past me. I mean, I have been dropped by fast people (of which I am not one), and those guys did not gain 3 minutes on me on a 10 minute 10% climb.

Hank Scorpio
10-28-2016, 08:09 PM
As a side note, I am impressed with some of these climbing efforts of people. My FTP is 321 watts weighing 67kg and people are flying past me. I mean, I have been dropped by fast people (of which I am not one), and those guys did not gain 3 minutes on me on a 10 minute 10% climb.

It is probably due to the fact that they don't have a power meter and are on the Z-power. When you hit the top of the climb or the sprint look at the top of the leader board and see if the rider in the top spot has a lightning bolt next the their name. Usually they don't and their time is like 10-20 seconds lower than the next best time.

My Zwift was cut a little short last night.

stephenmarklay
10-28-2016, 08:16 PM
I got an iOS invite, but since the ipad does not support ant+ it only works with bluetooth smart powermeters/trainers, of which I don't have one. Not ready to invest in like a wahoo, I hate indoor riding too much to justify that expense.

at 4.8W/Kg I think you can say your fast.

stephenmarklay
10-28-2016, 08:18 PM
It is probably due to the fact that they don't have a power meter and are on the Z-power. When you hit the top of the climb or the sprint look at the top of the leader board and see if the rider in the top spot has a lightning bolt next the their name. Usually they don't and their time is like 10-20 seconds lower than the next best time.

My Zwift was cut a little short last night.

Dang the rest of the tread makes it look like the tire was not that worn.

stephenmarklay
10-28-2016, 08:24 PM
ZwiftHQ has posted a notice that 1) they will be sending out many more iOS beta invites this week and 2) Zwift for iOS will be publicly available in the App Store in the next 4-6 weeks.
As of October 14th ZwiftHQ had sent out 700 iOS beta invitations, which was a drop in the bucket compared to the… wait for it… 10,000 beta tester signups they had received.
So it appears at least another 2,800 beta testers will be invited in the next week.
I’m looking forward to the launch of Zwift for iOS–it will greatly expand the Zwift community and bring the amazing Zwift experience to many new riders! #RideOn!

http://zwiftblog.com/zwift-ios-coming-4-6-weeks/

I use both the iPhone and Macbook on Zwift. I don’t think the iOS app will make much difference to me. If I get a Samsung tv with airplay now that would be nice.

adub
10-28-2016, 11:46 PM
I use both the iPhone and Macbook on Zwift. I don’t think the iOS app will make much difference to me. If I get a Samsung tv with airplay now that would be nice.

I'm running the same, now that my cave is all wired up to the big screen the iOS app won't make a difference to me either. If all your training implements are BLE and you have apple tv it would be pretty seamless getting set up..

yashcha
10-29-2016, 05:29 AM
at 4.8W/Kg I think you can say your fast.

At 4.8 no one should be flying by you unless it is like one of the euro pro guys who train on there. Maybe they are virtually doping. But then again, some dude put 7 minutes on me on a 20 minute climb today.

ergott
10-29-2016, 07:33 AM

You say you aren't fast, but that's Cat 1 power territory. You are either very modest or may I ask how you came to that FTP number? I only ask since lots of people on Zwift don't know that the power numbers from a trainer are usually very inaccurate compared to a power meter. If that 321 was measured with a power meter during a 20min test (actually should be more like 338 since FTP is about 95% of 20 minute power) then I apologize. I just don't run into a lot of people putting out that kind of power.

:beer:

Andreas
10-29-2016, 09:03 AM
may I ask how you came to that FTP number?

First, I am not fast and the local cat1s ride away from me.
I also don't train with power, have no coach and don't race.

So, I have a powertap wheel that I use exclusively in the winter for entertainment, mostly because I just don't care enough. When I finished my ride it said on zwift 20 min best 321 and I assumed that relates closely to my FTP. So it could be 5% less, like 305 I guess. On the other hand, I guess I have never gone all out for 20 minutes with the powertap wheel. I did not even know that the number is good or whatever, my main point was that people are blasting by me.

BTW, just noticed. On this local hill people are hitting averages in the 400s and are only a minute ahead of me. Which was my point. I am not fast, but the fast guys don't drop me like the do on strava.
https://www.strava.com/segments/2483

stephenmarklay
10-29-2016, 10:03 AM
You say you aren't fast, but that's Cat 1 power territory. You are either very modest or may I ask how you came to that FTP number? I only ask since lots of people on Zwift don't know that the power numbers from a trainer are usually very inaccurate compared to a power meter. If that 321 was measured with a power meter during a 20min test (actually should be more like 338 since FTP is about 95% of 20 minute power) then I apologize. I just don't run into a lot of people putting out that kind of power.

The power is not THAT remarkable but his power to weight is. When I am in shape I will be at about that number but I will be more than 80kg.

stephenmarklay
10-29-2016, 10:06 AM
First, I am not fast and the local cat1s ride away from me.
I also don't train with power, have no coach and don't race.

So, I have a powertap wheel that I use exclusively in the winter for entertainment, mostly because I just don't care enough. When I finished my ride it said on zwift 20 min best 321 and I assumed that relates closely to my FTP. So it could be 5% less, like 305 I guess. On the other hand, I guess I have never gone all out for 20 minutes with the powertap wheel. I did not even know that the number is good or whatever, my main point was that people are blasting by me.

BTW, just noticed. On this local hill people are hitting averages in the 400s and are only a minute ahead of me. Which was my point. I am not fast, but the fast guys don't drop me like the do on strava.
https://www.strava.com/segments/2483

To get an accurate FTP you really need to do a dedicated FTP test. There are several and they don’t produce equal results nor predict race performance (on there own.)

Andreas
10-29-2016, 10:16 AM
To get an accurate FTP you really need to do a dedicated FTP test. There are several and they don’t produce equal results nor predict race performance (on there own.)

Thanks.
I guess I don't care enough about the number. If the weather is really bad I will see if zwift has an ftp test thing. Race performance? I just ride for fun nowadays.

shovelhd
10-29-2016, 07:16 PM

I know what you're saying, his numbers are bogus, and I agree. But those Coggan chart Cat numbers are not viable for comparison. Nobody should take them as gospel.

adub
10-29-2016, 09:04 PM
Notice how 90% of dudes that pass you have no PM or smart trainer. Hmm..
They likely enter their weight at 1/2 of what it really is.

yashcha
10-29-2016, 11:44 PM
Me at 100% vs europro. I think beppu was doing a TT for an event or something he left after doing a blazing lap. He won the japan cup this year. He put 30 seconds on me on a 2 minute climb!

spookyload
10-30-2016, 12:21 AM
Notice how 90% of dudes that pass you have no PM or smart trainer. Hmm..
They likely enter their weight at 1/2 of what it really is.

Sounds like Zwift is serious ****, much like Strava. :rolleyes:

stephenmarklay
10-30-2016, 05:29 AM
I am sure there is some F**kery going on but I currently am doing group rides like Sube2, Sub2.5, Sub3 etc.

Many of them are no drop too. I want to be able to do the 3w/KG + group rides but right I would likely get dropped.

As far as racing, I may try some but since I am on a training plan doing base I don’t want to overdue it.

stephenmarklay
10-30-2016, 05:37 AM
The thing I like about Zwift is that is actually gets me kind of excited to ride on the trainer. It is very engaging especially if the ride is putting me under some stress.

It is not like an an outdoor ride but I am able to ride and for me it is better than watching a movie.

Andreas
10-30-2016, 05:56 AM
I am sure there is some F**kery going on but I currently am doing group rides like Sube2, Sub2.5, Sub3 etc.

Many of them are no drop too. I want to be able to do the 3w/KG + group rides but right I would likely get dropped.

As far as racing, I may try some but since I am on a training plan doing base I don’t want to overdue it.

How do you find group rides?
nm http://zwiftblog.com/joining-group-ride-race-zwift/

weisan
10-30-2016, 06:36 AM
Fumy Beppu's name is appearing everywhere these days...esp. since he's retiring.

stephenmarklay
10-30-2016, 08:36 AM
How do you find group rides?
nm http://zwiftblog.com/joining-group-ride-race-zwift/

Just look at the bottom of the Zwift.com page under events or events on iPhone.

http://zwift.com/events/

Today I may ride this:

12:10PM PDT
Sunday Social Ride

DESCRIPTION
Welcome to the Sunday Zwifters 50K Social ride . The ride leader will adjust the pace to suit riders capabilities. Riders in difficulty should txt the lead so that the group can be slowed to allow dropped riders to recover.
GROUPS
333750KM
Route: London Classique

I rode for an hour this am in the KISS race but there were only a handful of C riders. A couple rode out with the A-B’s and a few hung way back. I was riding alone for an hour so in decided to stop.

Andreas
10-30-2016, 03:11 PM
Just look at the bottom of the Zwift.com page under events or events on iPhone.

Thank you for the info. I signed up for the ride you quoted and then as workout selected group riders near me.
Started to ride, but never saw the group. I rode some with the Crit B race and some with the DivaZ Ladies race :beer:, both by accident.

Am I supposed to wait until the group passes? And how do I know which group is riding by?

The B Crit race was fast. My goal was to ride 200w for 60min and I had to ride at 250-280 to hang for a bit. I dropped off after a few minutes as I am in rehab after 12 weeks off and have to keep HR down. Ended up at 205, so I did what I wanted. BTW, does the speed go up riding in a group?

weisan
10-30-2016, 03:31 PM
been riding the last three days...outside.

temp. in the 60s, warming up to low 80s by the time we are done.

I guess ZWIFTing has to wait for a couple more days...

>>Am I supposed to wait until the group passes? And how do I know which group is riding by?

I did my first and only "group ride" last week. Started late by about 3.5-4 minutes from the official start time of 10.A.M because I was on a call, got to the bottom of the hill climb, the leader and the front group had already reached the summit with a time of 6 mins 45 sec +. I did what I could to catch them or narrow the gap, got to the top at 11 mins 55 sec. Felt that was all the pedaling I needed for the day and so I got off the bike thinking to myself...wow...did these guys really put 4 minutes on me on that climb?

carpediemracing
10-30-2016, 04:29 PM
BTW, does the speed go up riding in a group?

There is a drafting effect if you're on a road bike. It's noticeable in a big group on a downhill. On uphills there is almost no draft benefit, there's this element of a "sticky draft" but I haven't really paid attention to if/when they got rid of it.

If you selected TT bike there is no benefit drafting, for you. Others can draft you, if they're on road bikes.

There is also a small change when selecting aero wheels and such.

carpediemracing
10-30-2016, 04:35 PM
Thank you for the info. I signed up for the ride you quoted and then as workout selected group riders near me.
Started to ride, but never saw the group. I rode some with the Crit B race and some with the DivaZ Ladies race :beer:, both by accident.

Am I supposed to wait until the group passes? And how do I know which group is riding by?

The B Crit race was fast. My goal was to ride 200w for 60min and I had to ride at 250-280 to hang for a bit. I dropped off after a few minutes as I am in rehab after 12 weeks off and have to keep HR down. Ended up at 205, so I did what I wanted. BTW, does the speed go up riding in a group?

When you select "group riders near me" or a buddy or whatever, you should be riding at a pretty high pace when you click go, like 20-25 mph on the trainer. You need to hit the road running, so to speak, otherwise you'll instantly have a huge gap to close. Also, I've never done the "random group" thing myself but Zwift may put you in a spot where three people happen to be passing one another but they aren't a "group", and within 10 seconds they're apart and you're sitting there thinking "what the heck just happened?".

If you join an official group ride (the Zwift ride calendar, also they show up in the top right corner when you first show up) then when you join the group while you're on the course you get put on a start line with a trainer until the ride starts. Once the ride starts the leader has a yellow beacon, visible from pretty much anywhere within visual sight. And the leader broadcasts onto your screen (to others it's just regular text), and you see only group ride texts (to others they don't see group ride members' texts). So lots of noise goes away.

stephenmarklay
10-30-2016, 08:16 PM
When you select "group riders near me" or a buddy or whatever, you should be riding at a pretty high pace when you click go, like 20-25 mph on the trainer. You need to hit the road running, so to speak, otherwise you'll instantly have a huge gap to close. Also, I've never done the "random group" thing myself but Zwift may put you in a spot where three people happen to be passing one another but they aren't a "group", and within 10 seconds they're apart and you're sitting there thinking "what the heck just happened?".

If you join an official group ride (the Zwift ride calendar, also they show up in the top right corner when you first show up) then when you join the group while you're on the course you get put on a start line with a trainer until the ride starts. Once the ride starts the leader has a yellow beacon, visible from pretty much anywhere within visual sight. And the leader broadcasts onto your screen (to others it's just regular text), and you see only group ride texts (to others they don't see group ride members' texts). So lots of noise goes away.

This is what I do.

I missed that ride today. My wife and I went to the gym and I got home just in time but my Zwift was buggered and I had to restart it. I could not figure out how to join.

I rode a different ride later.

stephenmarklay
10-30-2016, 08:27 PM
Man it really kind if stinks being fat.

Today I rode an hour of a faster group ride. I really did not need to go so fast but there was nothing else really going.

I have been linking to Strava (I don’t really use it normally.) I looked at the group leaders stats after the fact and compared them to mine.

This was a pretty flat course but averaging the same speed more or less +-25 MPH his power was 172 and mine was 263. I have my weight at 195 ( that may be high but I hate to even look at a scale.) He on the other hand is a svelte racer type.

I am surprised on such a flat course that I had to produce so much power to keep up.

This was a metric century and it would have took a big effort for me to do this at that power. No way as part of my normal training either. I would have to rest a couple of days just to attempt that. Then I would have to rest to recover.

Regardless, my goal coming out of the winter is to be able to do that. Today I rode for an hour with them but I also road an hour early this am at a similar pace. I think I can do 2.5 hours at that power in a couple more months of training.

carpediemracing
10-30-2016, 09:57 PM
Man it really kind if stinks being fat.

Today I rode an hour of a faster group ride. I really did not need to go so fast but there was nothing else really going.

I have been linking to Strava (I don’t really use it normally.) I looked at the group leaders stats after the fact and compared them to mine.

This was a pretty flat course but averaging the same speed more or less +-25 MPH his power was 172 and mine was 263. I have my weight at 195 ( that may be high but I hate to even look at a scale.) He on the other hand is a svelte racer type.

I am surprised on such a flat course that I had to produce so much power to keep up.

This was a metric century and it would have took a big effort for me to do this at that power. No way as part of my normal training either. I would have to rest a couple of days just to attempt that. Then I would have to rest to recover.

Regardless, my goal coming out of the winter is to be able to do that. Today I rode for an hour with them but I also road an hour early this am at a similar pace. I think I can do 2.5 hours at that power in a couple more months of training.

263w is huge power in real life, to hold that for a metric century at 25 mph implies 2.5 hours. I don't know what the FTP equation is for doing 2.5 hours but I'm guessing if you can do 260w for 2.5 hours you'd be well into the 280-300w FTP range. That's a really solid number. I struggle to hold 160w for 2 hours, although granted it's not like I do 2 hour time trials or anything.

Thing to do is lose weight. You imply you're heavy but some people's heavy is other people's light. I'm probably in the low 20s % fat right now at 170 lbs. If I get to 13-15% (155-160 lbs) that's pretty good for me, it's solid Cat 2 territory, with a 220w FTP. If I lost weight until Dec (1-2 lbs per week means 8-16 lbs, so 154-162 lbs) and then started training hard in January I'd be pretty good by March.

stephenmarklay
10-31-2016, 05:49 AM
263w is huge power in real life, to hold that for a metric century at 25 mph implies 2.5 hours. I don't know what the FTP equation is for doing 2.5 hours but I'm guessing if you can do 260w for 2.5 hours you'd be well into the 280-300w FTP range. That's a really solid number. I struggle to hold 160w for 2 hours, although granted it's not like I do 2 hour time trials or anything.

Thing to do is lose weight. You imply you're heavy but some people's heavy is other people's light. I'm probably in the low 20s % fat right now at 170 lbs. If I get to 13-15% (155-160 lbs) that's pretty good for me, it's solid Cat 2 territory, with a 220w FTP. If I lost weight until Dec (1-2 lbs per week means 8-16 lbs, so 154-162 lbs) and then started training hard in January I'd be pretty good by March.

No doubt. I guess I am surprised what a huge penalty it is on the flats. Anyway, I raced at 170-175 about 8 years ago. It is doable but work. I can lose a 10 with just a bit of work so I will start there. don’t carry a ton of fat but I am probably 15%-20%. To get down to 175 I would be sub 10% for sure. I have actually been 165. That was skinny for me as I graduated high school at 190.

carpediemracing
10-31-2016, 06:34 AM
No doubt. I guess I am surprised what a huge penalty it is on the flats. Anyway, I raced at 170-175 about 8 years ago. It is doable but work. I can lose a 10 with just a bit of work so I will start there. don’t carry a ton of fat but I am probably 15%-20%. To get down to 175 I would be sub 10% for sure. I have actually been 165. That was skinny for me as I graduated high school at 190.

I was 112 lbs after college, 103 lbs going in. 135 lbs even in my late 20s, but quickly ramped up past 160 lbs by the time I was 33. Hit 215 lbs in 2003. I'm only 5'6-1/2" so I think 140 or so would be a very fit weight, maybe 145. When I dieted in winter 2009-10 I would see some 148-149 lbs mornings but I was so weak by then. 155 lbs and I was able to race. I'm glad I'm so bad that I don't worry about racing beyond Cat 3s. I don't know how the pros do just the weight thing, forget about training/etc.

To get to and maintain sub 10% is huge for a normal person with a real life.

drewskey
10-31-2016, 10:07 AM

Were his power numbers from a power meter and yours the "estimated" version? I could see that being the difference since Strava estimates that you were solo without drafting.

stephenmarklay
10-31-2016, 10:42 AM
Were his power numbers from a power meter and yours the "estimated" version? I could see that being the difference since Strava estimates that you were solo without drafting.

No. He was using a new Smart trainer and I am on a calibrated power meter. Regardless, in Zwift it was seeing 260+ out of me and 170 or so for him and we carried the same speed. No doubt I was out front at times but I was still very surprised.

Iansir
10-31-2016, 10:51 AM
Did my first Zwift ride this weekend. Thanks to the hack posted in this forum showing how to get a speed sensor on the Lemond Revolution, it worked flawlessly. I have not pushed myself that hard on an indoor ride in a very long time! Looking forward to exploring more over the winter.

ergott
10-31-2016, 10:54 AM
I never concern myself with the resulting speed on Zwift. For me, the stuff on screen only has to entertain me enough to put out some power while on the trainer.

Andreas
10-31-2016, 03:11 PM
If you join an official group ride (the Zwift ride calendar, also they show up in the top right corner when you first show up) then when you join the group while you're on the course you get put on a start line with a trainer until the ride starts. Once the ride starts the leader has a yellow beacon, visible from pretty much anywhere within visual sight.

Thank you, it worked today. Joined a group ride (not a race).

I joined a "C" ride which was supposed to be 2.5 w/kg. Some time at the start of the 2nd loop I missed that the front group accelerated and I was not paying attention because the riders around me had not. Catching up took time and I had to ride 3.5 for a while to catch them, there was certainly a draft effect in the big group. Almost like riding B'kill with ADD. Passed most of the 100 riders on the last climb going about 4 for 10 minutes.
Will ride "B" next time.

It is entertaining enough to take a bit of indoor riding hate away, at least until there is enough snow for nordic skiing (hopefully very soon). :hello:

stephenmarklay
10-31-2016, 04:21 PM
Thank you, it worked today. Joined a group ride (not a race).

I joined a "C" ride which was supposed to be 2.5 w/kg. Some time at the start of the 2nd loop I missed that the front group accelerated and I was not paying attention because the riders around me had not. Catching up took time and I had to ride 3.5 for a while to catch them, there was certainly a draft effect in the big group. Almost like riding B'kill with ADD. Passed most of the 100 riders on the last climb going about 4 for 10 minutes.
Will ride "B" next time.

It is entertaining enough to take a bit of indoor riding hate away, at least until there is enough snow for nordic skiing (hopefully very soon). :hello:

It seems pretty easy to get caught out when your not paying attention. The same thing happened to me on a ride. I had to pull hard to get back in and then again at the end at which time I threw in the towel as it was supposed to be easy ride day.

Hank Scorpio
10-31-2016, 06:27 PM
I somehow got caught in this race/ride. Seemed like is was a 3.0 ride. Some guys had DZ1 or DZI after their names.

weisan
11-01-2016, 07:27 PM
Hey, I am doing the group ride called Pacific Clydesdale that will start in about 3 minutes if any pal is interested in joining. :D

weisan
11-01-2016, 07:38 PM
Ok, I am done!

Lasted 6 min 19 sec. :D

Hey, I got a group ride tomorrow morning at 8! That's my excuse anyway....thank you.

weisan
11-01-2016, 07:39 PM
I am officially in my 2-month "FREE" trial now...after signing 1 month of Strava premium.

stephenmarklay
11-01-2016, 07:51 PM
I somehow got caught in this race/ride. Seemed like is was a 3.0 ride. Some guys had DZ1 or DZI after their names.

This is one that I will be doing periodically. I did it tonight. They keep it a 3.0 which is good pace for me. It was a 30 mile ride but the last 2 or so was a go go go sprint that I did not participate in so I was pretty much dead last.

This is my off week and that was not really in the cards for me. Otherwise I like the pace.

stephenmarklay
11-01-2016, 07:51 PM
Ok, I am done!

Hey, I got a group ride tomorrow morning at 8! That's my excuse anyway....thank you.

Well that was quick!

stephenmarklay
11-01-2016, 07:54 PM
Ok, I am done!

Which ride? The ZA workout looks like fun. I am taking the day off.

carpediemracing
11-01-2016, 07:58 PM
Did a Sub2 ride tonight.

I piped up a few times to let the leader know there were people off the back (I was off the back one of those times). He pulled the ride together each time by making everyone ease up. I asked about sprinting and after some discussion we all decided to sprint for the banner on the last lap.

I was absolutely redlined for 10 minutes leading up to the sprint, mid-160s bpm, like any race, and I was at 1.7-1.9 w/kg most of the time. I launched like normal but blew sky high about 4-5 seconds from the line. 177 bpm, as high as I ever see in a race.

All this in a Sub2, the easiest ride in the Zwift world. And, for the most part, it was a Sub2 ride, i.e. not much more than some steady 1.9 w/kg for the most part. Lots of 1.4-1.7 w/kg.

The Missus reminded me that drafting is not as easy on Zwift as in real life and there's really no coasting at all. It's much harder than a real world group ride.

On the other hand the social aspect of it appeals to me. I guess I get something out of even brief chats, observing others, etc.

stephenmarklay
11-01-2016, 08:00 PM
Did a Sub2 ride tonight.

I piped up a few times to let the leader know there were people off the back (I was off the back one of those times). He pulled the ride together each time by making everyone ease up. I asked about sprinting and after some discussion we all decided to sprint for the banner on the last lap.

I was absolutely redlined for 10 minutes leading up to the sprint, mid-160s bpm, like any race, and I was at 1.7-1.9 w/kg most of the time. I launched like normal but blew sky high about 4-5 seconds from the line. 177 bpm, as high as I ever see in a race.

All this in a Sub2, the easiest ride in the Zwift world. And, for the most part, it was a Sub2 ride, i.e. not much more than some steady 1.9 w/kg for the most part. Lots of 1.4-1.7 w/kg.

The Missus reminded me that drafting is not as easy on Zwift as in real life and there's really no coasting at all. It's much harder than a real world group ride.

On the other hand the social aspect of it appeals to me. I guess I get something out of even brief chats, observing others, etc.

For sure the group dynamics are interesting. In the Sub3 ride I did tonight the group leader would ask us to slow down and if I so much as stopped pedaling for a couple of seconds the group would shoot past like I hit my brakes (like I was going backwards.)

Like I said we should start a thread to post the rides we will be doing. I would be happy to tow you to sprint territory :)

yashcha
11-01-2016, 08:38 PM
I hit the ODZ coffee ride yesterday, 2.5 W/KG for the first two laps and all out for the last lap. It was interesting to see guys getting bitched out in Mandarin by other Chinese riders to tell them to follow the leader.

I hit 200 BPM and felt sick after.

For sure the group dynamics are interesting. In the Sub3 ride I did tonight the group leader would ask us to slow down and if I so much as stopped pedaling for a couple of seconds the group would shoot past like I hit my brakes (like I was going backwards.)

Like I said we should start a thread to post the rides we will be doing. I would be happy to tow you to sprint territory :)

pmac
11-01-2016, 09:05 PM
Hey, I am doing the group ride called Pacific Clydesdale that will start in about 3 minutes if any pal is interested in joining. :D

I did that ride too, my first group ride. I did most of 2 laps. I guess I'm not used to riding without taking it easy once in a while, and there wasn't much down time especially once the second lap started. I doubt that I could have stayed with the group until the end, so I guess that's a good goal to work on although I can't help but think that doing structured workouts would be more effective. What is your name on Zwift?

Miller76
11-01-2016, 09:12 PM
Did a Sub2 ride tonight.

I think I did this ride as well, ride leader was called Archer? I thought it was great!!! Last night I did one of the workouts, one hour long, ten minute warm up, 5 minutes at 250w broken up with 5 minutes at 125w - I'm loving zwift and my smart trainer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stephenmarklay
11-02-2016, 06:28 AM
Post your Zwift names so we can ‘follow’ each other

my Zwift name is Stephen Lay which I see as S.lay when I am riding.

yashcha
11-02-2016, 06:31 AM
Y. Katsumi

stephenmarklay
11-02-2016, 06:51 AM
Y. Katsumi

Yashushi? When searching in Zwift the first name is useful to have.

carpediemracing
11-02-2016, 07:12 AM
A.Sato|EXPO

My real name. I don't change it much, even if I join a group. The EXPO will make it easy to find.

stephenmarklay
11-02-2016, 07:36 AM
A.Sato|EXPO

My real name. I don't change it much, even if I join a group. The EXPO will make it easy to find.

SATO found you but EXPO came up blank.

ergott
11-02-2016, 07:38 AM
Eric Gottesman

I'll be on there when the weather gets worse. Still outdoors for now.

stephenmarklay
11-02-2016, 07:45 AM
All added!

MagicHour
11-02-2016, 07:46 AM
Zwift name: Jari Bartsch
I have freelancer hours, so I usually do the afternoon(EST time) ZZRC rides Sub 2.0-3.0. The ZZRC groups are pretty well run, try to keep group together, good communication etc. Probably doing the sub 3.0 today.
Want to try to do more races in the future. Did a CRS C race recently and was fun-but also torture, was happy just to finish.

weisan
11-02-2016, 07:51 AM
W.Hui

stephenmarklay
11-02-2016, 08:24 AM
added

Note: I have found that it is very helpful to post your full name.

For instance:

S.Lay = zero results
Lay = pages of possibilities
Stephen Lay =Me and only Me.

weisan
11-02-2016, 08:27 AM
The ZWIFT app on my android phone says..."Stephen Lay is now following you..."

Be scared....be very scared.
:D

stephenmarklay
11-02-2016, 09:17 AM
The ZWIFT app on my android phone says..."Stephen Lay is now following you..."

Be scared....be very scared.
:D

It should say Stephen Lay is about to zoom past :)

weisan
11-02-2016, 09:21 AM
It should say Stephen Lay is about to zoom past :)

I am ready!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_hSZo5vjiPmQ/Sd5Co2IGdlI/AAAAAAAAFy0/3NiMEuL6z2A/Crash+004.JPG

weisan
11-02-2016, 09:51 AM
Mine says... "Ergott pal is following you now..."

And he's got 118 pizzas burned...more than Stephen and mine added up and many times more...

Scary.....:eek:

kramnnim
11-02-2016, 09:54 AM
"Mark Minn"

pmac
11-02-2016, 10:33 AM
"Paul Macdonald"

stephenmarklay
11-02-2016, 11:04 AM
Mine says... "Ergott pal is following you now..."

And he's got 118 pizzas burned...more than Stephen and mine added up and many times more...

Scary.....:eek:

Yeah I just got started and I have only burned a few matches but not much pizza :)

stephenmarklay
11-02-2016, 11:05 AM
I am ready!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_hSZo5vjiPmQ/Sd5Co2IGdlI/AAAAAAAAFy0/3NiMEuL6z2A/Crash+004.JPG

Funny :)

ergott
11-02-2016, 12:11 PM
I'm all about Watopia Mountain repeats.