PDA

View Full Version : Mail order custom wheels

d_douglas
08-24-2016, 01:50 AM
Say what you will, but Chain Reaction apparently does a pretty decent job of building custom wheels. No - OPdidnt build them, but for the prices they charge, it's hard to ignore them.

My beef is that they stock a certain rim for sale on its own (WTB i35 29er rim) but when you use their wheel building option, this rim is t on the list. I inquired and they promptly replied that at this time it wasn't a custom option. Seems odd to me that they stock the rim and the wheels are supposedly custom, but this combo isn't available.

Why would CRC do this? Does anyone have insights? They are charging about $575 CAD for wheels that would be $3-400 or more expensive if bought locally, and many have said their work is pretty decent.

oldpotatoe
08-24-2016, 05:17 AM
Say what you will, but Chain Reaction apparently does a pretty decent job of building custom wheels. No - OPdidnt build them, but for the prices they charge, it's hard to ignore them.

My beef is that they stock a certain rim for sale on its own (WTB i35 29er rim) but when you use their wheel building option, this rim is t on the list. I inquired and they promptly replied that at this time it wasn't a custom option. Seems odd to me that they stock the rim and the wheels are supposedly custom, but this combo isn't available.

Why would CRC do this? Does anyone have insights? They are charging about $575 CAD for wheels that would be $3-400 or more expensive if bought locally, and many have said their work is pretty decent.

Could be they don't build them...just sell from 'inventory', including built wheels.

Fatty
08-24-2016, 07:18 AM
Was just checking out CRC last yesterday, found this.
Video halfway through. Doesn't answer your question but some insight.

http://hub.chainreactioncycles.com/latest-news/mtb/the-best-mtb-wheel-upgrades-our-top-picks/

Tony T
08-24-2016, 07:23 AM
Sounds like hand built with a custom options, but not built to order, so as OP said, they build in advance and put into inventory.

btw, Fairwheel looks like another good source for handbuilt wheels if you're not using a wheelbuilder: http://fairwheelbikes.com/complete-wheels/?search_query=&page=1&limit=36&sort=featured&category=56&is_category_page=1

Gummee
08-24-2016, 08:43 AM
I've had QBP build me some wheels when I didn't have time to DIY em.

They turned out better than mine. Faster too!

M

ColonelJLloyd
08-24-2016, 08:45 AM
I've had QBP build me some wheels when I didn't have time to DIY em.

They turned out better than mine. Faster too!

M

QBP now uses Velocity's crew, The Wheel Department. They are legit builders. Really, really good.

Why would CRC do this?

Likely that the location where the building is done is not the location of the main warehouse and the spot where the builders are just stocks a smaller selection of popular rims and hubs.

makoti
08-24-2016, 08:49 AM
Sounds like hand built with a custom options, but not built to order, so as OP said, they build in advance and put into inventory.

btw, Fairwheel looks like another good source for handbuilt wheels if you're not using a wheelbuilder: http://fairwheelbikes.com/complete-wheels/?search_query=&page=1&limit=36&sort=featured&category=56&is_category_page=1

I used them. Built me a great set of wheels. Don't forget Ergott, either. Prices were close for both of them & just not that far off stock builds.

AngryScientist
08-24-2016, 08:51 AM
wheels are one thing, but when you start having issues with your custom mail order bride - then the fun starts!

eippo1
08-24-2016, 08:55 AM
wheels are one thing, but when you start having issues with your custom mail order bride - then the fun starts!

Tell me about it. Pinch flats on every ride and it certainly wasn't anything I was doing wrong. :D

berserk87
08-24-2016, 09:03 AM

Yeah...I sent a large Paypal sum to "VolgaGirl.com" and got a shipping notice, but Ekaterina has not yet arrived. I am still at the airport...hopeful.

tumbler
08-24-2016, 10:22 AM
Yeah...I sent a large Paypal sum to "VolgaGirl.com" and got a shipping notice, but Ekaterina has not yet arrived. I am still at the airport...hopeful.

Could be an issue with customs / import duties. Does VolgaGirl.com use DHL? Those guys are the worst!

beeatnik
08-24-2016, 10:25 AM

Angry, en fuego the last two days with the witties! :D

d_douglas
08-24-2016, 11:13 AM
waaaaiiiit a minute>! ?? Has this thread been derailed? ha ha.

Yes, good point OP about the stock wheels, but I cant imagine that they give options on the website and just pray that they hit the right combination for whatever they've prebuilt and have sitting in stock.

They have, I dunno - 15 options for types of Hope hubs and maybe 30 options for rims (many brands), 15 options for spokes etc., so it would be too much of a guessing game.

Anyways, the prices are crazy cheap, but if they wont supply the rim that I want, I wont buy them.

Ive only had one set of wheels built in my LBS and they were more than 2x the price (OK, they were King hubs, but still).

eippo1
08-24-2016, 11:50 AM
waaaaiiiit a minute>! ?? Has this thread been derailed? ha ha.

Yes, good point OP about the stock wheels, but I cant imagine that they give options on the website and just pray that they hit the right combination for whatever they've prebuilt and have sitting in stock.

They have, I dunno - 15 options for types of Hope hubs and maybe 30 options for rims (many brands), 15 options for spokes etc., so it would be too much of a guessing game.

Anyways, the prices are crazy cheap, but if they wont supply the rim that I want, I wont buy them.

Ive only had one set of wheels built in my LBS and they were more than 2x the price (OK, they were King hubs, but still).

You could also make friends with your LBS mechanics and find out what they drink. Sometimes money + barter or just barter deals work better depending on the shop. Most of my wheelsets have been paid via hops and fermented mash.