PDA

View Full Version : OT: Double edge razor or cartridge style

skiezo
08-23-2016, 05:49 PM
With the price of cartridge these days I am thinking about going to a double edge razor. I shave every other day and have heavy thick whiskers.
Is a double edge worth trying? Is the shave better or closer?
I go through 2 cartridges a week so just weighing my options.
I would like to hear some opinions on the double edge razors.

charliedid
08-23-2016, 05:58 PM
Yes!

Buy a safety razor.

Read this - http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/product-reviews/safety-razors.html

I've been using one for 20 years now.

A bit of trial and error but lots of good info out there.

This is what I meant to link to - http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/education/double-edge-shaving/300-so-you-want-to-be-a-wet-shaver.html

DRZRM
08-23-2016, 06:02 PM
Single bladed wet shaving leaves me with far fewer razor bumps. Maybe a marginally less close shave, but I can't tell. Far less redness and irritation. Who needs five blades.

Idris Icabod
08-23-2016, 06:19 PM
I switched a few years ago to double edged blades because I'm cheap. I ended up buying the variety pack of blades on Amazon since blade selection seems so personal. The blades that seem to be most highly recommended (Feather, Merkur etc.) didn't work so well for me and I settled on Gillette Silver Blue blades which is good because I got 100 of them for $14.
Techniques is important, to begin with I looked like I'd been caressed by Freddy Kruger but now I probably loose way less than a pint of blood per week.
I reckon by retirement I'll have saved around $2,987,000 compared to the price of the 5 bladed Gillette wonder cartridges with vibrating lubricating strips, adjusted for inflation or the cost of a pair of Lightweight wheels.

christian
08-23-2016, 06:34 PM
I have a thick, fast-growing beard and I've been using DE razors for the last ten years. It's lots cheaper (I get Feather blades from Amazon. 100 blades lasts me just short of two years and costs $24.)

Get a Merkur or Edwin Jagger razor ($50), cheap brush ($20) and some soap and go to town. There's all sorts of shaving forums but there is no need to go all in. A synthetic brush and some shaving soap or cream from Proraso or Art of Shaving or Tabac (or whatever you're using now) and go for it. The key is to take short short short strokes, always with the grain first, and let the weight of the razor to the work. Do not push.

phutterman
08-23-2016, 06:39 PM
Safety razor for my face, but expensive-many-blade cartridge for my legs.

Safety razor doesn't clog with my thick whiskers, can shave very clean and precise lines when I care about them, looks cool, and is super cheap. Feather blades were almost too sharp for me, though; I like Wilkinson Sword blades better. These days I've been wearing a beard (not pro, I know) so it gets most of its mileage on my neck.

Expensive multi-blade cartridges work way better for my legs, though, and last long enough I'm not nearly as worried about the expense.

seric
08-23-2016, 06:39 PM
I get much less irritation using a Bakelite Slant with Astra blades than I ever could manage with cartridge razors. As others have mentioned, it's important to try a sampling of blades to find what works for you. For soap, I'm a fan of Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap. Jojoba Oil also works well, and is what I use in lieu of soap when bearded.

makoti
08-23-2016, 06:41 PM
Yes!

Buy a safety razor.

Read this - http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/product-reviews/safety-razors.html

I've been using one for 20 years now.

A bit of trial and error but lots of good info out there.

This is what I meant to link to - http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/education/double-edge-shaving/300-so-you-want-to-be-a-wet-shaver.html

What he said. Get a sample pack of blades, see what you like, buy lots, save big bucks over time. Oh, and get the best shave you ever had (unless you went to an old barber shop somewhere & got the REAL DEAL). I'll add http://www.badgerandblade.com/ as a place to go for info. It's here, but for sharp stuff. Complete with classifieds!

makoti
08-23-2016, 06:43 PM
Safety razor for my face, but expensive-many-blade cartridge for my legs.

Safety razor doesn't clog with my thick whiskers, can shave very clean and precise lines when I care about them, looks cool, and is super cheap. Feather blades were almost too sharp for me, though; I like Wilkinson Sword blades better. These days I've been wearing a beard (not pro, I know) so it gets most of its mileage on my neck.

Expensive multi-blade cartridges work way better for my legs, though, and last long enough I'm not nearly as worried about the expense.

Double edge face & legs. Very smooth!

Chris
08-23-2016, 07:00 PM
I've been a Braun electric user for years. I did the math once when I was getting nostalgic and the electric ended up cheaper in the long run than the cartridges.

Cicli
08-23-2016, 07:13 PM
I had face problems for years. Switched to a DE and never looked back. I am still ugly but have way better skin. Never using cartridge razors again. Never.

eippo1
08-23-2016, 07:14 PM
I do double edge when I have the time and have a norelco for when I don't. Still way cheaper with a better shave than cartridge. Have wicked sensitive skin too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

onsight512
08-23-2016, 07:31 PM
I do double edge when I have the time and have a norelco for when I don't. Still way cheaper with a better shave than cartridge. Have wicked sensitive skin too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

+1 for DE razors.
the only thing that I've tried that I liked better was a straight razor. easier than you'd think to not cut yourself, but I couldn't figure out how to keep a good edge on it.

mcfarton
08-23-2016, 07:33 PM
I got a double edge razor because I am cheap. I love it, I wouldn't go back to cartridge. Amazon is a great place to get the razor and the blades. I found the reviews to be helpful.

When ever I run out of the blades that I have I am going to try a variety pack. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OtayBW
08-23-2016, 08:02 PM
I feel kind of required to say this at this point, but........learn how to use a straight and get the best shave of your life. Thank-you....

VTCaraco
08-23-2016, 08:17 PM
Recommended in a thread from across the hall a number of years back.
http://teistebrito.com/var/albums/Fotos-de-Teiste/P1240877.JPG?m=1343595292
Real good stuff and a bargain when you consider how long it lasts (I get better than 6 months out of the $10 tube...applied with a good brush).

cmbicycles
08-23-2016, 08:23 PM
If you store your razor in a light oil (baby oil/mineral oil), they are supposed to stay sharp longer. I read it somewhere that the lack if lubrication on the blade is what makes them dull.
I've considered a safety razor before, but go thru razors so infrequently it hasn't seemed worth it. Do you have to use soap/cream with the safety razor? I usually just shave with water, or occasionally dry if I'm in a hurry.

climbgdh
08-23-2016, 08:27 PM
I got fed up with the $$ for Gillette blades among others a few years ago and went the DE route..... and haven't looked back. Merkur all the way, a good badger brush and now happily enjoying shaving again. Great smooth shave and VERY satisfying...... almost therapeutic if that makes any sense. Love it!!!

Cicli
If you store your razor in a light oil (baby oil/mineral oil), they are supposed to stay sharp longer. I read it somewhere that the lack if lubrication on the blade is what makes them dull.
I've considered a safety razor before, but go thru razors so infrequently it hasn't seemed worth it. Do you have to use soap/cream with the safety razor? I usually just shave with water, or occasionally dry if I'm in a hurry.

Soap or cream is nessary with a DE. Shave dry and you will regret it.

OtayBW
^^^ A proper lather will give you both 'cushion and glide' - very tangible things that assist shave comfort and quality immensely. Different creams or soaps provide this. Water or dry give you neither and promote ingrown hairs. Yow!

Cicli
08-23-2016, 08:32 PM
Recommended in a thread from across the hall a number of years back.
http://teistebrito.com/var/albums/Fotos-de-Teiste/P1240877.JPG?m=1343595292
Real good stuff and a bargain when you consider how long it lasts (I get better than 6 months out of the $10 tube...applied with a good brush).

What is it?
I have been on Art of Shaving for a long while. While I really like it I may try something new. I like Proraso too. A small tub lasts long enough Incant remember when I bought it.

teleguy57
08-23-2016, 08:37 PM
Agree w/most here. Moved to a DE a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. +100 on the Bigelow shave cream (same cream a Prorasa, both available on Amazon). I use the Prorasa pre-shave cream as well and that seems to help too.

I've ended up with Super Iridium blades (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AV66TL2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) after trying out a number of different brands. Change blades weekly (or a bit more often) with a heavy beard.

Still use 3-blade disposables on my legs just for convenience.

Corso
08-23-2016, 08:37 PM

I keep my DE razors in a small jar or rubbing alcohol, but baby oil does the same thing. It’s not the lack of lubrication, it’s the microscopic “rust” that can form that makes them dull. So keeping them in a liquid keeps the oxidizing away.

or so I’ve heard. been doing it for years now.

I use Feather DE blades form Japan. Pre-shave oil, brush w/ shaving soap, after shave after. I wish i tried a DE years ago. I’m never going back to cartridges.

SlackMan
08-23-2016, 09:22 PM
Yes, what lots of the above posters said. Having switched some time ago, I would call switching a no-brainer.

zzy
08-23-2016, 09:47 PM
Gillette's near monopoly on the razor market is absurd (Gillette is suing Schick's MFG again) and it's insane what market has got people paying for razors. I used a Murker DE razor with Astra blades and couldn't be happier. Much easier to edge my beard, and replacing the blades frequently is much easier on the wallet and skin with my thick growth. I use J.M. Fraser's cream and a nice alum block after. Sometimes a moisturizing aftershave too. Couldn't imagine a better shave.

makoti
08-23-2016, 09:54 PM

I tried that. All it did was make it oily.

Shoeman
08-23-2016, 10:35 PM
Gillette Sensor 2 Plus Disposable works for me with body lotion for shave creme.

montag
08-23-2016, 10:37 PM
What is it?
I have been on Art of Shaving for a long while. While I really like it I may try something new. I like Proraso too. A small tub lasts long enough Incant remember when I bought it.

That is CO Bigelow, which is actually just Proraso in different packaging.

I started shaving with a double edged safety razor almost 10 years ago for my heavy beard and sensitive skin, and never looked back.

false_Aest
08-23-2016, 11:01 PM
I don't have a lot of facial hair but I always got ingrown hairs + zits after a shave -- no matter how new the blade was, what shaving cream I used, applied with a brush, after shave, etc.

An ex bought me a Merkur Futur razor and a pack of 20 blades. I have not had an ingrown hair or zit since.

skiezo
08-24-2016, 04:16 AM
Lots of good comments on safety razors. So Im gonna join the club.
Im gonna contact west coast shaving and get a few recommendations from them.
So many options out there tho. 2 or 3 piece razors,blades,pre and post shave ect.
I of the camp that I like to buy the best I can afford the first time so I only have to buy it once.
They seem like the folks to go to for the best info so I will be sending them an email and go from there.
Thanks for all the positive feedback and I will be joining he club soon.

VTCaraco
08-24-2016, 05:40 AM
I'm with you in trying to buy the "right" tier as my first purchase.

I didn't lean on a retail outlet, but did a good bit of searching and reading and ended up with an Edwin Jagger DE89 ~ a razor that had a good reputation (as well as a nice EJ badge brush, the CO Bigelow shaving cream mentioned above and an alum bar + Lucky Tiger after shave ~ low on scent and not alcohol based, which I read can cause irritation).
All was well with the world and I considered technique, time and how wet/lathered my face was as the contributing factor to various nicks and irritations. Then I got a Merkur from someone here in a previous shaving thread and it works MUCH better for me.
My point is that some folks like the profile of the EJ while others like the Merkur. Same will be true of blades.
So be prepared to do a little experimenting before you find the combination that's right for you.

druptight
08-24-2016, 08:12 AM
I made the switch a few years ago after getting fed up with the prices of cartridges. After a sampler pack, then a pack of feathers, I found the blades I seem to like best and they're $9 for 100 (ordered in May 2015, and not even half gone yet):

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/817dRqtRIUL._SY679_.jpg

And an Edwin Jagger razor:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51nKDAKYYAL._SY679_.jpg

Combined with a family hand-me-down badger brush.

I still keep a cartridge around for the mornings when I'm in a big hurry, but seldom use it.

Vinci
08-24-2016, 08:45 AM
I've been using a DE razor for a few years now and will never go back. It is so much cheaper and (IMO) a better shave.

I've only used Derby Extra blades and couldn't be happier. It's $13 for 200 blades. I use each blade 4 times (twice per side), so around a week per blade. That means I can shave for 4 years for $13. That's pretty hard to beat.

I will say, though, that I haven't had success using the DE razor on my legs. I tried it once and it was a murder scene. For now, I just use the Target brand 4-blade cartridge razors. They don't clog like the expensive Schick razors and seem to last forever. I highly recommend them.

For shave cream, I find that if I shave in the shower, I can use just about anything. Bar soap, shave soap, whatever. If I shave otherwise, it needs to be some decent shave cream or it's fairly uncomfortable.

SlackMan
08-24-2016, 08:46 AM
Don't buy new, buy vintage! Click here. (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R4.TR9.TRC2.A0.H0.Xgil ette+slim.TRS0&_nkw=gillette+slim+adjustable&_sacat=0) I was fortunate enough to have inherited from Gillette Slim Adjustables from my father, and think they are great. Zillions are available on ebay at that link.

christian
08-28-2016, 08:58 AM
One thing that's getting a little short shrift here is that to get a really great shave with a DE razor, you're going to make a couple passes. Even to get a 95% shave with a single pass, you're going to touch up a few areas, so while I think DE's give a more comfortable, closer shave, I think we should also note that it takes anywhere from 5 minutes more to twice as long as a cartridge shave. Worth it, in my mind, but just a note.

makoti
08-28-2016, 10:17 AM
And an Edwin Jagger razor:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51nKDAKYYAL._SY679_.jpg

Combined with a family hand-me-down badger brush.

Two EJ's, Astra blades, and two used Badger brushes work great for me. I do use a scuttle from DirtyBird pottery to warm up the lather for my face. In the winter, it's oh so nice!

druptight
06-06-2017, 12:20 PM
Bumping this up. As noted a few posts up I was using the Edwin Jagger, my cleaning person knocked it off the shelf in the shower and the screw broke off the top piece inside the handle. I was able to super glue it and get a few more weeks out of it, but now it's really dead after it slipped out of my hand again earlier this week.

So, looking to replace, and looking on Amazon, seems to be pretty common for the Jaggers to break similarly for LOTS of people. Wondering if something with better metal construction would last better. The $150 Feather stainless is super sexy but might a little rich for my blood (https://www.amazon.com/Feather-Stainless-Steel-Double-Shaving/dp/B004E5GV82/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1496769482&sr=8-1&keywords=feather+stainless+razor)

That said, happy to spend more than the $20-$30 that the Merkurs and Jaggers cost.

Found the Above the Tie site, and they make some really nice ones for even more money and some awesome modern looking CNC alu ones for just south of $100: https://www.abovethetie.com/collections/safety-razors/products/calypso-r1-aluminum-safety-razor

So - any recommendations for these, ones or others I'm missing?

JAGI410
06-06-2017, 12:30 PM
Antique stores. A sweet vintage razor is $5-20 and works the exact same. The thrill of the hunt adds to the joy. Shaving sucks enough already, might as well have some fun with it.

I have a Merkur from amazon and my wife has a vintage Gillette. Hers is much nicer and was half the price.

christian
06-06-2017, 12:51 PM
So - any recommendations for these, ones or others I'm missing?

I have three razors:

(1) A Merkur 23C - long handle DE. It's non-adjustable, not very aggressive, and performs best with very sharp blades - ideally Feather. Very sturdy, simple construction, lasts forever. Extremely simple to use; hard to cut oneself. Does not cut well with worn razor blades.

(2) A 1971 Gillette Super Adjustable - "Black Beauty" It's adjustable, not very aggressive in settings 1-4 and performs well with sharper and less sharp blades - Feather, Astra, Wilkinson Sword all ok. Cool, but feels a bit delicate. I really like it for my face.

(3) A Merkur Futur in matte. It's adjustable, quite aggressive even on settings 1 and 2, but performs well with almost all blades. The head is very heavy and it requires a deft touch and good technique - not a razor for beginners. That said, it provides the best one-pass shave I have experienced, and is by far the best razor I own for head shaving.

All are worth a look.

cdn_bacon
06-06-2017, 01:08 PM
Have yet to find better prices (CDN) and variety.

great people to deal with

https://www.fendrihan.ca/

Pastashop
06-06-2017, 01:55 PM
What about air travel?..

I've switched to the "safety" / double-edge razor years ago. Sure, it takes a few minutes longer, but with proper shave soap before and a pass with an alum block after, skin irritation has much reduced over the traditional cartridge razors.

However, I am uncertain whether I can bring this type of razor with me on domestic or international flights. Anyone know for sure?..

William
06-06-2017, 02:38 PM
How many of you shave your head with a DE? I'm happy to give it a go on my mug, but I don't know about trying it on my head?

William

druptight
06-06-2017, 02:44 PM
Bit the $96 bullet and decided to give the CNC one from above the tie a go: https://www.abovethetie.com/collecti...m-safety-razor

Will report back in a week.

06-07-2017, 07:02 PM
Want to go pro? Check www.badgerandblade.com -- this is THE forum on shaving and fine razors. You'll find oodles of recommendations there on a couple dozen stores and websites for antique razors, modern ones, the very best blades, and on and on. You thought you could debate tubulars for a whole rainy day? Try double edge razors.

06-07-2017, 07:05 PM
And there's a great thread across the hall on shaving, with some superb recommendations and sources.

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f39/art-shaving-your-face-20126.html?highlight=shaving

Cicli
06-07-2017, 08:19 PM
What about air travel?..

I've switched to the "safety" / double-edge razor years ago. Sure, it takes a few minutes longer, but with proper shave soap before and a pass with an alum block after, skin irritation has much reduced over the traditional cartridge razors.

However, I am uncertain whether I can bring this type of razor with me on domestic or international flights. Anyone know for sure?..

I have breezed through with carry on. New blades on the package and no blades in the razor.

The tsa says no to the blades though. I have never had any issue and they never ask.

christian
06-07-2017, 08:56 PM
How many of you shave your head with a DE? I'm happy to give it a go on my mug, but I don't know about trying it on my head?
I use my Merkur Futur on my head. The combination of aggressiveness and heavy head make it really ideal for that. I was clippering to 000 twice a week for about the last six months but now I am shaving a few times a week instead. It's really easy if you keep after it -- lots of smooth surface. Light pressure, and a few passes make it great. I am using Proraso at a rate my frugal forebears would decry though.

makoti
06-07-2017, 09:36 PM
What about air travel?..

Only if you check your bag. Carry-on? Razor? No problem. Blades? Problem.

makoti
06-07-2017, 09:37 PM
I have breezed through with carry on. New blades on the package and no blades in the razor.

The tsa says no to the blades though. I have never had any issue and they never ask.

That's comforting. Glad I quit that job...

Cicli
06-07-2017, 09:47 PM
That's comforting. Glad I quit that job...

Yeah, I didnt even think of it until I looked it up to answer here. I just packed them in my shaving kit. Weekly fron OHare to DFW. For years.

William
06-08-2017, 07:08 AM
I use my Merkur Futur on my head. The combination of aggressiveness and heavy head make it really ideal for that. I was clippering to 000 twice a week for about the last six months but now I am shaving a few times a week instead. It's really easy if you keep after it -- lots of smooth surface. Light pressure, and a few passes make it great. I am using Proraso at a rate my frugal forebears would decry though.

Thanks for the recommendation! I hit it every other day using either a Mach 3 or Schick Hydro. Those two seem to work best on my scalp as far as cartridges are concerned. I tried Harry's once in an effort to reduce costs but it cut a good sized flap of skin on my head on a very light pass so I reserved those for my face until I used them up. I've never had that happen before with any razor I've tried.

I'll give the Futur a try and report back.

William

06-08-2017, 10:33 AM
I fly frequently and get stopped perhaps 15-20% of the time for double edge blades. I usually put one in the razor and one in a kit bag, and they catch one but not both, but they definitely are looking for them. I think it's more a question of whether they spot the blade (if it's viewed on edge of course it doesn't show up). A double-edge razor is pretty obvious in screening and even with GOES/expedited access, I see that it's on their radar.

OtayBW
06-08-2017, 11:13 AM
I'd say get a Merkur 23C and be done with it. Or, get a Merkur Slant if you really want to go wild, but be careful with that...

TheEnglish
06-08-2017, 11:41 AM
I've been rocking the Merkur Heavy Duty for over 5 years and love it. It's much cheaper, but takes a little longer. Definitely go with good shaving cream. The stuff in a tub that requires you to create the lather with a brush. It's a steep investment (aren't we used to that?), but much cheaper in the long run and better for your skin. I use Geo F. Trumper creams and sometimes I use a soap (Mitchell's Woolfat, I believe). When I travel I am forced to use cartridge razors and I hate it.

Welcome to the club.

christian
06-08-2017, 12:05 PM
I'd say get a Merkur 23C and be done with it. Or, get a Merkur Slant if you really want to go wild, but be careful with that...

Ninja 250... or turbo Hayabusa. All good recommendations!