PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Forks

va rider
04-05-2004, 09:25 AM
Does anybody know who makes Serotta's Forks, specifically the O2? Is it an all carbon fork (and steerer)?

What fork have you bought or would recommend with the CIII?

I am thinking either Ouzo Pro or O2.

thanks for the help.

dbrk
04-05-2004, 09:50 AM
I've ridden both the Ouzo Pro and the F2 and honesttogoodness I can't tell the difference, not realistically. It's all reduced to impressions, as far as I can tell. Perhaps this is not the case if you are large or powerful enough because I think the F2 is laid up a bit stiffer. Frankly, I understand the added cost for the production of the F2 but I can't, in my own mind, justify the difference in the cost. But if you are springing for it, then enjoy what you like and always, always buy without the slightest regret (as in, I shoulda' got the "upgrade.") I am a tad skeptical of the upgrade but these are beautiful forks, really wonderful.

dbrk

bikedadjc
04-05-2004, 10:29 AM
I just recently switched from the O2 fork to the F2 fork. I can tell a world of difference, in the stiffness, the ride quality is improved. There's no more of that twitchness with the F2, unlike the O2. If it was my money, i'd go for the F2 fork, its the best!!!

Blastinbob
04-05-2004, 10:35 AM
Va rider,

To answer your question, the O2 and the Ouza Pro are the same fork, both all carbon steerer. I have ridden the F2 as well and find it to have a more ' solid ' feel to it.

Smiley
04-05-2004, 10:56 AM
In taking with the good people at Reynolds , they told me that the F2 was designed to give more of a feel of the old F1 fork which Baby it was stiff like steel. I have recently switched to the Ouzo Pro and feel that the front end now absorbs alot more road buzz , I don't feel a big drawback on not having my Old F1 anymore , I have actually lightened up my front end considerably and have made my bike eat up more buzz from the road. Had I wanted a stiffer fork then the Ouzo Pro I would have chosen a Alpha Q which I believe is a beast of a fork as compared to what's available on the market today. Funny that no one talks about the Wound Up forks anymore , I would think that that fork would be stiff by virtue of its fork blades. Its really too heavy by todays standards to be compared with offerings from Reynolds and Alpha Q and even Easton is getting into the fray big time with their fork offerings. It says something for Reynolds to be an OEM supplier for Serotta and Seven and other quality builders . So I stuck with Reynolds.

va rider
04-05-2004, 12:24 PM
Frankly, the Ouzo Pro is actually cheaper than the O2 and it sounds alot lighter. My buddy has an Ouzo Pro and I really like the way it rides.

I guess the only downside and not a big one, is that Serotta probably would not paint the Ouzo Pro?

Smiley
04-05-2004, 12:34 PM
are the same fork , except Serotta will add a few extra steps to QC the fork in your designed frame. I needed to order an Ouzo Pro due to the need for a 1 inch steerer tube required for my older frame.

jpw
04-05-2004, 12:55 PM
So what is the price of the f2 and the Ouzu?. If they are the same fork are they the same price?

Smiley
04-05-2004, 02:02 PM
The F2 is NOT the same as the Ouzo Pro which is identical to the O2 .

va rider
04-05-2004, 02:34 PM
You gotta love Serotta!

I e-mail them this morning about the fork, the weight and so on. I get answer right away.

The 02 is a Reynolds Pro, with some additional quality control by Serotta to ensure the wheel is straight. It seems like a no brainer for the few extra bucks to pay Serotta to go with the 02 and the get their guarantee that it is perfect.

Now, onto a little harder question. I have really been locked on the CIII, but wanted to consider the CDA. I test rode the Fierte and want something that is a little lighter and quicker. I figure the CIII is a step up. But, how about CIII v. CDA?

Needs Help
04-05-2004, 03:14 PM
It seems like a no brainer for the few extra bucks to pay Serotta to go with the 02 and the get their guarantee that it is perfect.

The Ouzo pro can be had for under $330, so Serotta is marking up the 02 by 20% for this QC you speak of (I wonder what the QC is?). Just remember, Reynolds already guarantees the fork is perfect, and most riders have no problems with their Ouzo Pro forks off the shelf.

The bigger issue might be the stickering. If you like the white 02 stickering better than the Ouzo Pro's yellow and green stickering, then that might be the way to go.

Smiley,

What do the good folks at Reynolds have to say about how the Ouzo Pro Peleton compares to the F2? Also, can Serotta owners order an F2 subsequent to their initial purchase?

Smiley
04-05-2004, 05:33 PM
I was not interested in the Peleton comparison so I did not ask. The F2 fork is a different make up of the Ouzo Pro and this set up is unique to Serotta. BTW Needs Help my new Ouzo Pro came with ALL WHITE decals and no green and yellow anymore, thank heavens for this.

Climb01742
04-05-2004, 05:42 PM
one other aspect of fork QC that david kirk alerted me to was accuracy of the rake. what's labeled as the rake isn't always so. anything created in a mold can cure slightly differently each time. this is not meant as a knock on any fork manufacturer, but just one more variable. serotta checks that the labeled fork rake is the actual fork rake as one of their QC steps.

va rider
04-05-2004, 05:48 PM
Okay, well maybe I'm just a sucker for marketing But, if the Ouzo Pro is $330 and the O2 is $395, and I am $4k into a new bike, then I think the $65 for the fork is well spent. Serotta stands behind it and I know it is matched perfectly for the frame.

Okay, I am sucker for marketing hype and especially for gadgets. Ask me about my iPod.

Ozz
04-05-2004, 05:56 PM
I like the idea of fork and frame coming from the same company (even if they outsource the fork to Reynolds). Go for the O2 and never look back. Of course, for another $150 you can have the F2 :cool: kidding...

My vote goes for the CIII. The CDA is just a CIII with carbon seat stays. My opinion is that most of the "carbon-rear" bikes are going to look awfully dated in a couple years. The CIII will always be a classic!

Kevin
04-05-2004, 06:23 PM
The ability to deal with customer reps at Serotta instead of the customer reps at Reynolds makes the $65 well spent. Buy the O2. You also get a lifetime warranty instead of five years.

Kevin

Needs Help
04-05-2004, 08:11 PM
Smiley,

I've seen some of those white labeled Ouzo Pros, and when I inquired about them, I was told they are OEM, and they are not available off the shelf with the white stickering. I'm with you, I don't like the green and yellow.

va rider,

Okay, well maybe I'm just a sucker for marketing But, if the Ouzo Pro is $330 and the O2 is $395, and I am $4k into a new bike, then I think the $65 for the fork is well spent. Serotta stands behind it and I know it is matched perfectly for the frame.

Yep, it sounds like they got you. :) The rake variation is an interesting point, but then I wonder how accurate the head tube angle is.

You also get a lifetime warranty instead of five years.

Wow! I've never seen that anywhere.

va rider
04-05-2004, 08:21 PM
The QC, the Lifetime Warranty and no green/yellow color stickey, I'm sold!

Though, I must admit my College colors were Green and Gold.

lanton
04-06-2004, 01:05 AM
I'm sure things must be very precise but still there must be some variation in identicaly angled head tubes and fork to fork. If accurate trail numbers were available I'm sure there wouild be a range that, if everything else was equal probably has an effect on the final ride. If I were going for a custom frame I'd sure go for as much of a matched fork as possible.

Needs Help
04-06-2004, 01:39 AM
The QC, the Lifetime Warranty and no green/yellow color stickey, I'm sold!

Now, can I tell you a little story about a fork named F2. Once upon a time... :)

Ok, you gotta fork. Now what bike?

I'd like to see some confirmation of that lifetime guarantee. It's not in any of Serotta's literature nor on their website. It sure seems like it would be good marketing to advertise that information. Is that stated in the owner's paperwork?

Kevin
04-06-2004, 05:36 AM
Needs Help,

The lifetime warranty is on the website. Try http://www.serotta.com/pages/warranty.html

Kevin

va rider
04-06-2004, 08:23 AM
You mean I gotta buy a bike, too?

Kevin
04-06-2004, 08:35 AM
You can purchase the fork as a seperate item.

Kevin

flydhest
04-06-2004, 09:41 AM
Though, I must admit my College colors were Green and Gold.

VA Rider, which College? Not, the College, was it? You know, the oldest one in your state, the second oldest in the US, the first to become a University, the birthplace of Phi Beta Kappa, the one that was dumb enough to invest a huge share of its wealth in Confederate War Bonds (maybe it sounded like a good idea at the time), the only one in the States to be founded under a Royal Charter, in other words . . . my alma mater.

Did you go there too?

va rider
04-06-2004, 10:24 AM
Tribe, Pride! class of 86 and 90. I believe the College of William & Mary is second oldest in the country, with Harvard being the oldest.

How about you?

I live about 2 1/4 hours from the burg and visit often. Whenever I nedd a Paul's fix or a vist to Pierce's. Maybe a cheese shop stop. (they moved). Have you seen the new bookstore on DOG street, definately an improvement.

flydhest
04-06-2004, 10:49 AM
va rider,

Yep, Harvard was established first, but if you subscribe to a particular definition of "university" W&M became a university first. As if that matters.

Anyway, I was there as an undergrad from '88 to '92, went to grad school for a PhD and then was a professor at W&M from '97 to '01 (although on leave and working here in DC from '99 on). I was down there last fall, presenting some research in my old department to my colleagues and generally hanging out. Lots has changed--lots hasn't.

I wanted to check if they have a cycling team with a jersey they would sell to alums. When I was there, there was a mtn. bike club, but I heard (vaguely) that there was a road team at some point after I left in '92. Do you know?

va rider
04-06-2004, 11:33 AM
flydhest -

I just sent an e-mail to the student who runs the road cycling club about us both buying a jersey. As soon as he responds, I will send you a private message.

FYI, the club's website is http://web.wm.edu/so/cycling

We should definately catch up for a ride sometime. I am in NVA.

do you ever ride Skyline Drive?

flydhest
04-06-2004, 03:07 PM
va rider,

Excellent. I'm going to check out the website. We should definitely connect for a ride. Are you coming up for the BBDave Festival and Bike Ride at Captain Smiley's house on the 17th?

Smiley
04-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Hey howbout one of them W&M cycling jerseys for us common folk . I'll tell everybody I got it from smart Alums . Fly, VaRider is supposed to post at the BBDave ride on the 17 th !

va rider
04-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Yes I am hoping to make the ride.

I have two little boys, agges 4 1/2 and 3, and my wife is 7 months pregnant. So, as long as she is feeling okay, I will be there.

Smiley, if you are interested in a green and yellow W&M jersey, I will let you know the price.

Smiley
04-06-2004, 05:54 PM
I fear wearing such a jersey people may mistake me with being smart and following me during rides where I get lost alot. Too risky for you guys to have me do that . W&M may pull your privelages and I probably spelt that word wrong too !

va rider
04-06-2004, 09:15 PM
Smiley - it would be an honor to have you wear a W&M jersey. But, knowing how you like to match colors, I'm not sure they will go with any of your fleet.

I am pretty sure after admitting me, W&M got a clue and tightened their admissions standards!