PDA

View Full Version : BB Options for vintage Super/Nuovo Record cranks

Villgaxx
08-23-2016, 03:42 PM
The only project I might ever have the time to complete is going to use some really nice Super Record cranks on a frame with an Italian bb; the crank arms are take-offs, so the tapers are pretty much perfect. Are there any decent, available, not Phil Wood-money options for a bottom bracket that I don't know about? I know about the PW, but I would rather not spend that kinda money or even more for a NR bb on a project that is intended to be a rider and a bit of a mutt.

echelon_john
08-23-2016, 03:46 PM
Miche Primato?

Tandem Rider
08-23-2016, 03:55 PM
Let me check, I might have a good one in the drawer at home.

CMiller
08-23-2016, 03:55 PM
Have you checked out Velo Orange?

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/italian-thread-bb.html

Villgaxx
08-23-2016, 04:01 PM
Have you checked out Velo Orange?

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/italian-thread-bb.html

Ah, no. I never think of them for some reason, but that bb looks like it could be an option. The 116 spindle is out of stock, but I'm not working on this tonight or anything. Thanks.

Mzilliox
08-23-2016, 04:01 PM
The only project I might ever have the time to complete is going to use some really nice Super Record cranks on a frame with an Italian bb; the crank arms are take-offs, so the tapers are pretty much perfect. Are there any decent, available, not Phil Wood-money options for a bottom bracket that I don't know about? I know about the PW, but I would rather not spend that kinda money or even more for a NR bb on a project that is intended to be a rider and a bit of a mutt.

I would think a good BB would be way more important on a rider than a garage queen? I mean its the part that helps the wheels go round right? If i were going to use some "really nice Super Record cranks" i'd want a decent BB spinning em round...

Villgaxx
08-23-2016, 04:05 PM
Miche Primato?

Is that bb only 107 with Italian threading? I couldn't find any online just now. Miche is another brand I never seem to think of.

Villgaxx
08-23-2016, 04:08 PM
I would think a good BB would be way more important on a rider than a garage queen? I mean its the part that helps the wheels go round right? If i were going to use some "really nice Super Record cranks" i'd want a decent BB spinning em round...

Nice as in good tapers, new, mismatched chainrings, no cracks. The frame is not perfect, and the components are not going to be NOS matching this and matching that. Something set-it-and-forget-it would be better than perfect, jewel-like, and expensive.

wallymann
08-23-2016, 05:24 PM

centaur cartridge 115mm assymetrical works perfectly. i use this on all my neo-retro builds with nuovo/super record cranksets.

theyre like $65, well made, available in BSC and ITA, has proper ISO* tapers, and theyre campy!!!

ps. helps to have a couple BB spacers handy to adjust your chainline perfectly if you're persnickety like me.

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/MQAAAOSwhh5TojS2/s-l225.jpg

fwiw...that VO BB has JIS tapers, so would only be apropo for campy cranks with well worn tapers. good as a fall-back down the road.

fuzzalow
08-23-2016, 05:50 PM
Phil Wood.

Ralph
08-23-2016, 07:27 PM
centaur cartridge 115mm assymetrical works perfectly. i use this on all my neo-retro builds with nuovo/super record cranksets.

theyre like $65, well made, available in BSC and ITA, has proper ISO* tapers, and theyre campy!!!

ps. helps to have a couple BB spacers handy to adjust your chainline perfectly if you're persnickety like me.

fwiw...that VO BB has JIS tapers, so would only be apropo for campy cranks with well worn tapers. good as a fall-back down the road.

I bet that Campy Triple Centaur BB would work. It's asymmetrical, (drive side sticks out), it's ISO, It's cheap, it's advertised at 115.5, chainline w/b easy to adjust if necessary, and it's a high quality piece.

Tandem Rider
08-23-2016, 08:47 PM
Let me check, I might have a good one in the drawer at home.

Dang it, all I have left in the drawer is English thread, 68mm.sorry.

steamer
08-23-2016, 09:06 PM
Nice as in good tapers, new, mismatched chainrings, no cracks.

My emphasis. Consider filing then polishing the known stress riser location where the arm meets the spider or they won't stay that way too long.

Tandem Rider
08-23-2016, 09:50 PM
Steamer is right, file and polish if you are going to actually ride them sorta hard. It's a quick job. They let go catastrophically, not gradually. One minute you are doing jumps, all of a sudden the next minute you are lying on your right side on the road with a pedal and part of a crank strapped to your foot.

Wall queen, just look at it before every ride.

oldpotatoe
08-24-2016, 05:21 AM

I too have used this BB with SR/NR/GS cranks but I have also seen a couple of LH arms hit the frame using these..so YMMV..not an automatic.

icepick_trotsky
08-24-2016, 06:16 AM
Do it right -- cup and cone.

oldpotatoe
08-24-2016, 06:27 AM
Do it right -- cup and cone.

There are always far superior Italian threading..BBs for SR/NR/GS on the ;bay'..I'd opt for this as well...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Campagnolo-C-Record-Bike-Bottom-Bracket-70x115mm-Italian-Threading-/351813321449?hash=item51e9b542e9:g:LLoAAOSwaB5XqIb v

Not 'C Record"...

ColonelJLloyd
08-24-2016, 07:54 AM
Post a WTB here (http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage-sales/)and you'll have a half dozen in your inbox by the end of the day.

Villgaxx
08-24-2016, 11:01 AM
That might work. Would be nice if the cranks cleared the stays.

I guess I'll keep my eye out. Thanks.

Villgaxx
08-24-2016, 11:02 AM
Dang it, all I have left in the drawer is English thread, 68mm.sorry.

No problem. Something will turn up. Thanks.

oldpotatoe
08-24-2016, 11:31 AM
No problem. Something will turn up. Thanks.

Think I have a 114mm spindle, maybe cups, I'll check.

Villgaxx
08-24-2016, 12:05 PM
My emphasis. Consider filing then polishing the known stress riser location where the arm meets the spider or they won't stay that way too long.

Already done; just say no to crack.

My filing technique is unstoppable.

oldpotatoe
08-25-2016, 06:26 AM

I have this..56.5mm center section, 116mm overall length, marked SSg...NOS, as in new in the box..black spindle, complete.

$68 shipped to you via USPS priority