PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good choice for hatch mounted bike racks?

stephenmarklay
08-22-2016, 06:42 PM
We could use one to take bikes up for camping so I have been looking around but I am not sure which ones are any good. I used to have one but it like to sway a bit in the wind.

PeregrineA1
08-22-2016, 08:11 PM
Very happy with my One-Up, two rail. I usually have it on the Mazda 3 with the small receiver, but occasionally run it on the F-250 with the adapter for the 2" receiver. Very stable, but not motionless, either way.

Easy to handle, easy to use, decent looking. Not cheap, but what good stuff is?

giverdada
08-22-2016, 08:12 PM
most solid hatch-mounted rack i've used yet. i think there was a thread on here about good hatch-mounted racks. i don't know the slope of your hatch, but it seemed to fit solidly on everything from trunks to hatches. one problem i found on our car was the upper 'spoiler' thing at the very top of the hatch. it's not built for load and is thus annoying when trying to cinch all straps effectively. the top ones don't take a load per se, but they do help with stabilization and keeping the load close to the car. so spoilers may be annoying, but we still managed a 6-h drive with three bikes and no problems. saris bones. give'r.

JAGI410
08-22-2016, 08:13 PM
Hatch? Saris Bones.

Hitch? One Up.

sjbraun
08-22-2016, 08:41 PM
I've hauled two bike cross country with mine, rock stable. I've even transported a tandem for a couple of hundred miles with full confidence.

Ken Robb
08-22-2016, 08:47 PM
The old-timey basic Hollywood rack won't move when the straps are properly installed and tensioned. I use a couple of pieces of pipe insulation on the bike in the middle of three and tie the bikes together and to the rack to keep rubbing to a minimum.

Once you adjust the straps to mount the rack to a particular car the first time you can leave them alone and just tighten the bottom strap that runs down to the bumper when you reinstall the rack.

stephenmarklay
08-22-2016, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys. There is a bones in the local CL.

lookout2015
08-22-2016, 09:13 PM
Another Saris Bones recommendation. I've used one for years and been happy with it.

enr1co
08-22-2016, 09:25 PM
How about: https://www.seasucker.com

parallelfish
08-22-2016, 09:29 PM

Second that. They work very well.

stephenmarklay
08-22-2016, 09:31 PM
It does look like a rear spoiler which is on most hatch vehicles is a bit of a limiter.

stephenmarklay
08-22-2016, 09:33 PM

Thank you. I have seen these before and they look pretty cool. Maybe not the budget category I am looking for right now however.

kitsnob
08-23-2016, 12:24 AM
Second that. They work very well.

+3 .. I have used my Talon (one bike rack) on a multitude of convertibles and small cars (Fiat E500)
It recently made the trip from Sunny So. Cal to Sea Otter in Monterey with out a hitch (pun intended!)

InTheAether
08-23-2016, 03:31 AM
My father one took one of the cheap folding 2-bike racks (the one you saw at every garage sale for years) and bolted it to the front of a VW Vanagon. It looked cool and was very stable.