PDA

View Full Version : Guru AND CyclArt NOW HIA Velo!!!!

sales guy
08-22-2016, 05:12 PM
I had no idea he bought CyclArt!!!!

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/08/22/hia-velo-revives-gurus-carbon-manufacturing-arkansas-w-star-team/

cinema
08-22-2016, 05:17 PM
i will miss having cyclart here. i loved walking through their workshop and looking at all the bikes and equipment and ending up in the back where the owner ran a rc racetrack. very cool spot that not many people knew about.

Lanternrouge
08-22-2016, 05:19 PM
I think it's great that much of the goodness of Guru will be living again. Even if I never own an Allied-built bike, I will enjoy staring at pictures of others'. I guess this means if I want some touch up work done by CyclArt without paying shipping, I better do that soon.

sales guy
08-22-2016, 05:24 PM
I knew Guru was bought by him.

But I had no idea he bought CyclArt!! Thats a biggie!

And it also means LeMond can keep doing his frames in the US and with Zen. Which is the entire reason I was talking thorium and he was riding all the bikes I had-steel, ti and carbon. He wanted some place to do all three. He has it now. Just in the US, not in North America as before with it in Montreal.

So very well done Tony. Massive massive coup!

sales guy
08-22-2016, 05:25 PM
Oh and the frames Tony is making, carbon at least are 95% the same as Guru frames.
The steel and ti, slightly different. Mainly in the options.
And for those wondering, yes, they are offering services to past buyers of Guru including the custom dropouts and stuff.

bcroslin
08-22-2016, 05:36 PM
Wow - I can't wait to see what they do. Seems like Tony has put together an amazing team of people. I'm interested in hearing what part Zell will play in the business. Also happy to see Guru's frames live on. They made amazing carbon bikes but were terrible at doing business.

happycampyer
08-22-2016, 08:00 PM
I was planning on sending a frame to CyclArt for refinishing. Will probably hold off or find someone else, so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. Guru is the Canadian version of Serotta--amazing bikes, but a financial disaster. I know several dealers that were severely burned by them.

cachagua
08-22-2016, 08:34 PM
I was trying to get them to paint a frame, too. Guess this is why they didn't respond to my emails.

That's cool, there's a lot of painters around.

54ny77
08-22-2016, 08:38 PM
Geez....they were on my short list. Thanks for the heads up.

I was planning on sending a frame to CyclArt for refinishing. Will probably hold off or find someone else, so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. Guru is the Canadian version of Serotta--amazing bikes, but a financial disaster. I know several dealers that were severely burned by them.

sales guy
08-22-2016, 09:15 PM
Guru is the Canadian version of Serotta--amazing bikes, but a financial disaster. I know several dealers that were severely burned by them.

I am still owed $20 grand from them!!!!

Originally Tony the founder blew it up. But it was partially due to the whole Guru vs Cervelo lawsuit.

Then when bought out by a couple guys with business experience, but no bike experience, that's when it blew up again(this last time). Ted was an absolute moron with everything. And the bike biz is nothing like regular business.

carpediemracing
08-22-2016, 10:12 PM
i will miss having cyclart here. i loved walking through their workshop and looking at all the bikes and equipment and ending up in the back where the owner ran a rc racetrack. very cool spot that not many people knew about.

I couldn't remember why we (cycling best friend and I) went to the slot car place in Vista, although I am a very light fan of slot cars (meaning I always wanted but never had). Now I remember.

http://www.nomadraceways.com/about-nomad-and-its-founder

BobbyJones
08-22-2016, 10:20 PM
Hoping it takes off.

On the other hand, i think they should've hired a branding agency.

Great example of a good product with a bad ID. I suppose time will tell.

Mikej
08-23-2016, 09:26 AM
Glad they changed the name...

TunaAndBikes
08-23-2016, 10:12 AM
So no more bikes are to be produced in Montreal?
Guru used to do their carbon, alu and steel here am i right?

(btw SalesGuy; lovelovelove my Guru if that helps sooth the 20k burn)

vqdriver
08-23-2016, 10:19 AM
I actually just spoke with jim at cyclart yesterday re a fork job prior to finding this thread. Doesnt seem like anything to worry about. Super nice guy. Just call em up.

cadence90
09-08-2016, 03:12 PM
PSA: Cyclart moving sale

I received this email from Cyclart today: