PDA

View Full Version : How do you dispose of citrus degreaser?

Needs Help
07-10-2006, 05:52 PM

Dave
07-10-2006, 06:12 PM
That's supposed to be the advantage of a water soluble product. It can safely go down the drain. Personally, I only use mineral spirits. I keep the old stuff in an old water bottle to let the dirt settle to the bottom and use it many times.

BumbleBeeDave
07-10-2006, 07:05 PM
. . . is that the citrus stuff is biodegradeable and can be poured down the sink.

BBD

bcm119
07-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Mix with a raw egg and tablespoon of worcestershire, its a great hangover cure.

OR

add to toilet, you won't have to flush for a week.

csm
07-10-2006, 07:18 PM
poor it down the driveway and dilute it with used motoroil when I was the car?

Fat Robert
07-10-2006, 07:30 PM
i peed on a little puddle of it after i cleaned my drivetrain, about 35 minutes before last saturday's race

the enzymes in your urine help break down the citrus

also

the orange-black-and-white (cause you're hydated) mess is kinda purty if the sun hits it correctly

catulle
07-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Add a slice of lime, atmo...

Needs Help
07-10-2006, 07:51 PM
I bought a bottle of Pedro's Oranj Peelz Citrus Degreaser and in various places on the bottle it says:

1) Contains mineral spirits
2) Dangerous for the environment(accompanied by a picture of a dead fish)
3) Please recycle.
4) UK warning: Do not empty into drains, dispose of this material and its container to hazardous or special waste collection point.

I thought that citrus degreasers were environmentally friendly as well. Did I purchase the wrong brand?

Tom
07-11-2006, 05:41 AM
A co-worker's neighbor apparently is a genius. My pal was working in his garden when he heard "WHOOFF". He thought to himself "I wonder what that was..." and then he noticed all his neighbors looking in the same direction. So he looked that way. There was another neighbor with a red can next to a smoking storm grate.

The town made the neighbor pay for digging up and replacing all the pipes for a quarter mile in each direction.

Too Tall
07-11-2006, 06:50 AM
It may be biodegradable however all the petro-product you've added to this is a problem. Probably the best thing to do is evaporate the mess and dispose of the solids wrapped in double plastic and landfill it. Pls. don't pour it down the drain.

victoryfactory
07-11-2006, 07:37 AM
TooTall is right.
Many people assume that a "Biodegradable" cleaner means that you can
just throw it down the drain, but the catch 22 is:
What kind of nasty crap did you dissolve with the cleaner?
This is a puzzlement for many people who want to be "green"

VF

spiderlake
07-11-2006, 09:20 AM
most citrus degreaser is actually a byproduct of gasahol production. If you see an ingredient of D-limolene then it probably isn't safe to dispose of down the drain. I think most products or companies are required to have an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) available for public inspection. Most MSDS statements will say that disposal of D-limolene must be done in accordance with "federal, state and/or local ordinances"...... Simple Green Bike Cleaner/Degreaser is the best I have found to date in terms of being truly biodegradeable. Check out their MSDS at:

http://www.simplegreen.com/pdfs/06_msds_bike_foam.pdf

"Foaming Simple Green® is fully water soluble and biodegradable and will not harm sewage-treatment microorganisms if disposal by sewer or drain is necessary. Dispose of in accordance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws."

Their statement on biodegradability:

"Like Simple Green®, Foaming Simple Green® is readily decomposed by naturally occurring microorganisms. The biological oxygen demand (BOD), as a percentage of the chemical oxygen demand (COD), will approximate 60% after 11 days.

In a standard biodegradation test with soils from three different countries, Butyl Cellosolve reached 50% degradation in six to 23 days, depending upon soil type, and exceeded the rate of degradation for glucose, which was used as a control for comparison."

Grant McLean
07-11-2006, 09:59 AM
get one of these:

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/419465.htm

g

Needs Help
07-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the info TT, although I'm not sure how double baggging something and then throwing it in a landfill helps the cause. I guess I'll pour the gunk in a plastic water bottle, and find a hazardous waste disposal site(although maybe they'll just end up dumping it in a landfill :( ).

manet
07-11-2006, 06:41 PM

gasman
07-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Manet..

Your photos are always worth a great laugh. Thanks.

MartyE
07-11-2006, 07:22 PM
http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2004/apr/citrus/bryant140.jpg

Orange Juice, it's not just for breakfast anymore

Fat Robert
07-11-2006, 08:03 PM
she looked like that and she was trying to get guys to swear off other men? sheesh...she must have driven up the numbers with the blazer alone...never mind the hair....

hey

maybe we should all just throw the chain in the parts washer and let the shop worry about the toxins?

i dunno....

Too Tall
07-12-2006, 06:16 AM
N.H., I'm just cutting to the chase. Disposed that way it should be pretty stable. Drying it up prior to bagging is 1/2 of the solution...pun intended.