PDA

View Full Version : What do these pro bikes have in common?

Keith A
07-10-2006, 04:00 PM
I was looking at some of the pro's bikes that are featured on CyclingNews.com and noticed a common item -- can you find this too?

Robbie McEwen's
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tech/features/tour_bikes6/IMG_0911.jpg
Stefano Garzelli's
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tech/features/tour_bikes4/tdf06-liq1.jpg
Erik Zabel's
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tech/features/tour_bikes3/tdf06-milramep-1.jpg
Danilo Di Luca's
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tech/probikes/liquigas_bianchi_diluca/IMG_0693.jpg

dgauthier
07-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Uh, the saddle?

Keith A
07-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Nope, thanks for playing :D

67-59
07-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Computer on stem, instead of bars?

CPP
07-10-2006, 04:05 PM
I see rather a lack of something....spacers under the stem.
CPP

Steelman
07-10-2006, 04:06 PM
They have proper handlebars, not the latest and greatest.

obtuse
07-10-2006, 04:07 PM
ahm....nothing. they don't all have the same saddle. infact not one of those bikes has the same saddle as any other. the first three have straight bars; di luca's has gay bars....so i'm going with all of'em have tubular tires and are built by wage laborers.

obtuse

Keith A
07-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Steelman is the winner!

dgauthier
07-10-2006, 04:08 PM
They have proper handlebars, not the latest and greatest.

That was my next guess, though Danilo's bars look anatomic in that shot.

They all have black cables . . . ?

Keith A
07-10-2006, 04:11 PM
You guys may be correct on Di Luca's handlebars -- on a closer inspection, it does appear these have a slight anatomic bend to them. But it was the bars that stood out to me when I first looked at the pictures.

67-59 -- That's a good one as well and I hadn't noticed that before.

CPP -- I'm pretty sure that Garzelli has a small spacer on his setup.

bcm119
07-10-2006, 04:15 PM
di luca's has gay bars....
obtuse
Barely, I'd call them gay vague.

Keith A
07-10-2006, 04:23 PM
According to ITM's catalogue (http://www.itm.it/catalogo/inglese/sc_pr_pi.asp?id=58&tab=pieghe) the Millennium Carbon does have an anatomic shape. But as you can see from this image, it is very minimal and looks almost round...

http://www.itm.it/catalogo/amministra/pieghe/img/mil_carb.jpg

Kirk Pacenti
07-10-2006, 04:57 PM
I would have guessed the bars too.

But I am actually more interested in seeing a full size bike. Anyone have pics/specs on Magnus' bike. I want to see what a man of that stature is riding.
These little pee-wee bikes throw my sense of proportion off.

Obtuse, you must be able to get the 411 on this, hook a brotha up.

Ozz
07-10-2006, 05:05 PM
...the Millennium Carbon does have an anatomic shape.... it is very minimal and looks almost round...
"round" is the new anatomic...... ;)

Dave
07-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Sprinters seem to like these bars because they grasp the horizontal ends in the sprint.

For someone who mainly climbs and descends, anatomic bars make more sense. I want my hands to be comfortable with my fingers in reach of the brakes on a descent. Round bars don't do the trick. Easton EC-90's for me.

atmo
07-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Sprinters seem to like these bars because they grasp the horizontal ends in the sprint.

For someone who mainly climbs and descends, anatomic bars make more sense. I want my hands to be comfortable with my fingers in reach of the brakes on a descent. Round bars don't do the trick. Easton EC-90's for me.
eh i don't know about that. in recent years, such riders
as bartoli, lance-ee-poo, hincapie, muuseuw, virenque,
atmo, decker, van petegemememgem, and fstrthnu all
used non-anatomic 'bars.

BumbleBeeDave
07-10-2006, 07:15 PM
. . . what, exactly?

That we are all supposed to use round bars because these 'Pros" use them?

That round bars are somehow superior because these "pros" use them?

That these pros are all using what their equipment sponsors happened to stick on their bikes?

Use whatever kind of bars feel best to YOU. Kinda silly to be obsessing about this, atmo . . . sheesh. :rolleyes:

BBD . . . proud Ritchey Biomax user! ;)

Jason E
07-10-2006, 07:19 PM
So how do we know when doing what the pro's do is worth while, and doing what the pro's do is lame?

Using anatomic bars beacuase the old schooler's use them.... deemed cool.

Using more then enough carbon to build an F-16 out of for my frame like Robbie.... Unnecessary.

SRM's.... Cool?

Record is overkill, so is it cool to ride it?

Anything over 8 speed is Lame-*** overkill sometimes around here.

I won't even get into proper setback of the saddle and differing seatpost offsets...

Where where we? Oh yeah, Diluca's MP 'gay" bars. How about Boonen's set-up? His bars and brifters are to the sky.... Hmmm..

Maybe we should all ride what we like, and appreciate more the other options even if they are not for us.

Grant McLean
07-10-2006, 07:28 PM

But I am actually more interested in seeing a full size bike. Anyone have pics/specs on Magnus' bike. I want to see what a man of that stature is riding.

Here's Maggie:

http://www.tdwsport.com/imagedesk/pic.php?dir=20061702&file=20061702-67903.jpg&thumb=0

nice one of tom:

http://www.tdwsport.com/imagedesk/pic.php?dir=20061702&file=20061702-67883.jpg&thumb=0

g

ni

Fat Robert
07-10-2006, 07:34 PM
uh...they all have two wheels

use whatever bars your want.

(oval concepts deep drop non-anatomic here...but not everyone has such good taste)

Grant McLean
07-10-2006, 07:40 PM
used non-anatomic 'bars.

some other Italian guy too

http://www.cervelo.com/reviews/R2.5%20Bayonne%20of%20Ivan%20Basso,%20Team%20CSC.J PG

g

atmo
07-10-2006, 07:44 PM
. . . what, exactly?

That these pros are all using what their equipment sponsors happened to stick on their bikes?

Use whatever kind of bars feel best to YOU. Kinda silly to be obsessing about this, atmo . . . sheesh. :rolleyes:

that's not true.
anatomic bars are a product manager's nightmare gone awry.
the pros choose what they want, and while i haven't taped
them, i have hours of chats 'tween me and 2-3 component
makers about this very issue and each brand manager to a
man said that the pros' stash of bars are made once/twice a
year and they pull from that. otherwise (they said), since the
market from oem makers for ana bars is so strong - the reason
being folks perceive them as new and improved - that the big
consumers of bars, the treks, giants, specializeds, and cannondales,
of the world have called the tune that the bar makers play. as a
result, to stay in biz, said makers make these ana's. when i would
grill them about the short supply of non ana's despite 7 of 10 pros
are seen with them, the reaction, again, was that pros use the
trad bends but what keeps them in biz is the oem market, not
the aftermarket.
i agree - use what you want. but don't fool yourself into thinking
that pros use what they are given. their bicycles don't come from
the local mall atmo.

Big Dan
07-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Now we know who won't win the tour..... :D

obtuse
07-10-2006, 07:48 PM
bbd you are wrong-
handlebars, saddles and pedals are the only three pieces of equipment most pro cyclists even care about. if sponsors had their way; all the riders would be on stupid integrated anatomic carbon gay bars.....but they're not; except for 2 to 3 out of the ten who really don't give a shi'ite about equipment at all. unfortunatly most of those guys are not really upper echelon racers so.....

obtuse

Archibald
07-10-2006, 07:50 PM
So how do we know when doing what the pro's do is worth while, and doing what the pro's do is lame?

Using anatomic bars beacuase the old schooler's use them.... deemed cool.

Using more then enough carbon to build an F-16 out of for my frame like Robbie.... Unnecessary.

SRM's.... Cool?

Record is overkill, so is it cool to ride it?

Anything over 8 speed is Lame-*** overkill sometimes around here.

I won't even get into proper setback of the saddle and differing seatpost offsets...

Where where we? Oh yeah, Diluca's MP 'gay" bars. How about Boonen's set-up? His bars and brifters are to the sky.... Hmmm..

Maybe we should all ride what we like, and appreciate more the other options even if they are not for us.
Racers use non-anatomic bars.

Racers use dope.

Therefore, dopers use non-anatomic bars.

Don't be a dope. :banana:

BumbleBeeDave
07-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Whether they use what they are given or crawl on their bloody knees to the top of some remote Himalayan peak to obtain the magic round bars made by the Great Master at the llamasery . . . WHO CARES?

Ride what YOU like, no matter what it is . . . even if EVERY OEM bike from here to eternity comes with anatomic bars, there wil still be plenty of round bars on eBay to see you through till the day you die, even if you live to be 120.

What gets me here is the implied undercurrent in threads like this that if you don't ride round bars, then somehow you are inferior or something. The whole "gay bars" thing--the implied loss of masculinity if the rest of us don't ride what YOU guys ride . . .

Again, what REAL difference does it make WHAT kind of bars you ride. Of course it DOESN'T make any difference . . . but have fun pretending it does. There's just way too much of this type of implied judgement around here. There must be some other stuff to read around here . . . Bye . . .

BBD

Grant McLean
07-10-2006, 07:58 PM
that's not true.
anatomic bars are a product manager's nightmare gone awry.
the pros choose what they want, and while i haven't taped
them, i have hours of chats 'tween me and 2-3 component
makers about this very issue and each brand manager to a
man said that the pros' stash of bars are made once/twice a
year and they pull from that. otherwise (they said), since the
market from oem makers for ana bars is so strong - the reason
being folks perceive them as new and improved - that the big
consumers of bars, the treks, giants, specializeds, and cannondales,
of the world have called the tune that the bar makers play. as a
result, to stay in biz, said makers make these ana's. when i would
grill them about the short supply of non ana's despite 7 of 10 pros
are seen with them, the reaction, again, was that pros use the
trad bends but what keeps them in biz is the oem market, not
the aftermarket.
i agree - use what you want. but don't fool yourself into thinking
that pros use what they are given. their bicycles don't come from
the local mall atmo.

cervelo dealers keep these 'on-hand'...you're right, the oem guys need
to grow some stones, and toss the wiggle bars in the bin.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=41&pid=426

P.S. almost every time i try to reorder them, they're out of stock.
Someone else must like selling them too. The problem is aftermarket
is a drop in the bucket. OEM has to be the major market for sales,
as you say

g

Elefantino
07-10-2006, 07:59 PM

This must be "big Maggie's" climbing bike...

atmo
07-10-2006, 08:03 PM
<snipped> gets me here <cut>

BBD
why are you so serious when it's happy hour here atmo?

Fat Robert
07-10-2006, 08:29 PM
ok

no more gay bars

they're dork bars

ride hard a lot and you'll grow to appreciate the variety of hand positions offered by round bars, and that they actually have useable drops and hooks

if you don't ride hard a lot and you like your bendy bars, great. they're dorky, but that's cool if you work it....

Keith A
07-10-2006, 08:41 PM
BBD -- The main reason for posting this is because I feel like I'm the only one that likes round bars (I have tried many of the anatomic ones). If you look at any of the mail order catalogs, they typically don't have any round bars available -- except for Excel Sports who carries the Ritchey ones. It has always been interesting to me to see many of the pro's using round bars when this is a choice they can make and I guess it makes me feel good that I'm not completely off my rocker.

bluesea
07-10-2006, 08:52 PM
So ergo bars are like those dumb finger grooves that were added to the later model Glocks?

Big Dan
07-10-2006, 08:52 PM
I'm sure Fat Robert can take care of this guy.
Why is he wearing that jersey and using those bars and a no setback post..... :confused:

Fat Robert
07-10-2006, 08:54 PM
cause the bike was designed around that straight post

cause he likes bendy bars (and may be young enough to have never tried non-anatomics)

the point of all this is that a great number of riders prefer round bars. however, many mass producers don't make them for retail sale, and many retail and wholesale vendors don't stock them.

and anyway, that guy has plenty of teammates who use easton rounds

i'm sure big dan could take care of a lot of folks too

atmo
07-10-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm sure Fat Robert can take care of this guy.
Why is he wearing that jersey and using those bars and a no setback post..... :confused:
in the parlance of rbr, that's a D3 moment
chasing the proverbial 12K dream atmo.

Big Dan
07-10-2006, 09:07 PM
cause the bike was designed around that straight post

cause he likes bendy bars (and may be young enough to have never tried non-anatomics)

the point of all this is that a great number of riders prefer round bars. however, many mass producers don't make them for retail sale, and many retail and wholesale vendors don't stock them.

and anyway, that guy has plenty of teammates who use easton rounds

i'm sure big dan could take care of a lot of folks too

Big Dan does Ok..thanks......... :D

:beer:

fstrthnu
07-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Look guys... all Atmo is trying to say is that You are Gay if You ride anatomic bars. Whats the big deal?

Fstrthnu

atmo
07-10-2006, 09:10 PM

oh.

Fat Robert
07-10-2006, 09:13 PM
look

you want to disagree about bars, fine

i didn't call anybody out -- and i didn't see the point in being singled out for criticism, particularly when i'm not the only one on this freaking thread advocating round bars. as for the seatpost thing, there were plenty of builders on that thread that offered the idea that they were not the greatest idea, either. so either widen your choice of targets or just stick to sharing your view about the product, not the poster.

good on your end?

Fat Robert
07-10-2006, 09:16 PM
oh.

why the oh?

who makes round bars for retail sale? ritchey, oval, easton, deda -- anyone else? and i kinda had to go to an alternative source for some oval deeps, right?

***?

fstrthnu
07-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Look guys... all Atmo is trying to say is that You are Gay if You ride anatomic bars. Whats the big deal?

Fstrthnu

ACTUALLY. It is Obtuse who says only gay male cyclists ride anatomic bars... my bad. But hey! We won't judge You!

Cheers
Fstrthnu

Kahuna
07-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Look guys... all Atmo is trying to say is that You are Gay if You ride anatomic bars.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Grant McLean
07-10-2006, 09:24 PM
who makes round bars for retail sale? ritchey, oval, easton, deda -- anyone else?

***?

fsa Energy-T
ITM millenium strada

atmo
07-10-2006, 09:30 PM
why the oh?

who makes round bars for retail sale? ritchey, oval, easton, deda -- anyone else? and i kinda had to go to an alternative source for some oval deeps, right?

***?
because you wrote,
and many retail and wholesale vendors don't stock them.
i'm a stockist yo.

obtuse
07-10-2006, 09:45 PM
ACTUALLY. It is Obtuse who says only gay male cyclists ride anatomic bars... my bad. But hey! We won't judge You!

Cheers
Fstrthnu

yeah-

i'm pretty proud that you're scared straight.

call me-i'm feeling like the disabused ignored boyfriend here.

(truck bait? ***?)

obtuse

ftf
07-10-2006, 10:00 PM

I guess he's not good enough for you then, I'm sure he's heartbroken. It's better to be chasing a dream, than be a bitter old man with all the money in the world.

As for which bars are best, I doubt that any bar will hold you back.

Fivethumbs
07-10-2006, 10:03 PM
I bought some classic round bars from Salsa. They're called the Estrada. The come in a shallow bend and a deep bend. The deep bend is 144 mm. They have a nice shape and I like them a lot. They are much stiffer than the Easton's I tried.

obtuse
07-10-2006, 10:06 PM
I guess he's not good enough for you then, I'm sure he's heartbroken. It's better to be chasing a dream, than be a bitter old man with all the money in the world.

hey-

why don't you talk to the kittens it'll make you feel a bit less miserable.
http://www.rathergood.com/gaybar/

obtuse

saab2000
07-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Deep drop Deda Newtons. Since Cinelli doesn't make 65s anymore and never did which fit modern Campagnolo brifters.

If someone can make something almost like the 65s, in modern aluminum, which will fit the modern shifters I will buy bunches of them.

Then I'll be hellafast.

manet
07-10-2006, 10:09 PM
lest we* forget:

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=gay+bar&word2=round+bar

*including lance

atmo
07-10-2006, 10:23 PM

sorry. i thought it (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/e379949fb61355c3?dmode=source) was common knowledge atmo.
i'll research it (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/fe1a4460f568a0d7?dmode=source) some more and refine my p.o.v.

atmo
07-10-2006, 10:29 PM
sorry. i thought it (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/e379949fb61355c3?dmode=source) was common knowledge atmo.
i'll research it (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/fe1a4460f568a0d7?dmode=source) some more and refine my p.o.v.

refined. (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/f8deb4c7a44b83e2?dmode=source)

hey - smiley faces.

93legendti
07-10-2006, 11:35 PM
. . . what, exactly?

It proves nothing...other than at least 3 teams in the TdF (but not all of Bianchi) are on round bars. If you go here:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tour06/index.php?id=/photos/2006/tour06/tour068/gallery-tour068

there are plenty of riders on anatomics. Probably half of the teams are on them and the guys in 1rst and 2nd are on them.

Why does it matter? Good question. Schtick, boredom, Walter Mitty syndrome...take your pick.

I have 3 pairs of round bars: TTT, Nitto and Ritchey. They do not work for me. The hooks and the tops are uncomfortable. I like the long flat part of the drops, but my other 2 favorite positions hurt my wrists if I use round bars. I can get 4 positions out of the Bio Max II, Oval R700, TTT Prima and Deda 215 AND my hands/wrists don't bug me when I ride.

There are a few anatomics here: http://www.serotta.com/pages/custom_road.html.

Archibald
07-10-2006, 11:59 PM
What do these bikes have in common?

Their saddles all smell like steroids?

:banana:

rwsaunders
07-11-2006, 12:04 AM
The bottle cages.

The Spider
07-11-2006, 04:02 AM
yo, it was just this morning that I was comparing the Deda belgium round curve to a woman's breast.

They may be round, but they are dead straight. :)

classic1
07-11-2006, 05:23 AM
Deep drop Deda Newtons. Since Cinelli doesn't make 65s anymore and never did which fit modern Campagnolo brifters.

If someone can make something almost like the 65s, in modern aluminum, which will fit the modern shifters I will buy bunches of them.

Then I'll be hellafast.

See if ya can scrounge some 3ttt Gimondis off eScam. Round but not quite as rounded as 65's IMO, plus slightly deeper and longer reach. Abraham Olano used to use a similar bar at Mapei and Banesto with both STIs and the old style ergopower levers. If you like them we can start a protest outside the 3ttt factory to get them to make them again.

Elefantino
07-11-2006, 05:51 AM
I didn't know people could get so worked up over ...

handlebars fer crissakes.

What does it mean when you have anatomics on one bike and round bars on the other two? Are you bisexual?

Sheesh. :argue:

Fat Robert
07-11-2006, 06:06 AM
because you wrote,
and many retail and wholesale vendors don't stock them.
i'm a stockist yo.

all good

i was just trying to express a similar frustration as KeithA -- when my lbs can't get them, when the mail-order places don't carry them, when i have to get them from an artisan framebuilder (that i wouldn't know had such a product unless i hung out on a relatively obscure discussion board)...its enough to make a consumer a little miffy, yo.

sspielman
07-11-2006, 06:24 AM
used non-anatomic 'bars.

...and then there's Maude.....

atmo
07-11-2006, 06:29 AM
...and then there's Maude.....
bring on adrienne barbeau yo.

Fat Robert
07-11-2006, 06:33 AM
bring on adrienne barbeau yo.

why did harry dean stanton want to escape from new york when he had that set to play with? i still don't get that part of the movie.

sspielman
07-11-2006, 06:40 AM
bring on adrienne barbeau yo....

Okay...I know that she was Arthur's daughter, presumably from a previous marriage.....but then how is she related to Archie and Edith? In any event, the chicks on that side of the family have a better shelf life than on the Bunker side...That Gloria has really blown up....must be intercepting some of that food destined for the starving children on the infomercials that she hosts....

atmo
07-11-2006, 06:41 AM
why did harry dean stanton want to escape from new york when he had that set to play with? i still don't get that part of the movie.

he'd rather play with these (http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere.cfm/productLarge/76/361/828) atmo.

Too Tall
07-11-2006, 06:44 AM
Too many swingers FAtMo. Odds were not in his fav.

Can we get back to "full Size Bikes"? Lotta love for that comment ;)

Maximum Magnus Backstedt...my hero.

Fat Robert
07-11-2006, 06:45 AM
he'd rather play with these (http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere.cfm/productLarge/76/361/828) atmo.

no wonder he got blown up on the brooklyn bridge. and they called him "brain?"

Fat Robert
07-11-2006, 06:47 AM
Too many swingers FAtMo. Odds were not in his fav.

Can we get back to "full Size Bikes"? Lotta love for that comment ;)

Maximum Magnus Backstedt...my hero.

you are so wrong. the duke gave maggie to the brain -- and she wasn't messin around on him.

btw i thought you were awesome as that guy snake fought with in the ring

JasonH
07-11-2006, 08:21 AM
ok

no more gay bars

they're dork bars

ride hard a lot and you'll grow to appreciate the variety of hand positions offered by anatomical bars, and that they actually have useable drops and hooks

if you don't ride hard a lot and you like your clown circular bars, great. they're dorky, but that's cool if you work it....

There, I fixed it to show the entirely valid oppising opinion. Anybody actually advocating one style over another as a rule, for something as completely subjective as handlebars, is wrong.

Fixed
07-11-2006, 08:33 AM
I was looking at some of the pro's bikes that are featured on CyclingNews.com and noticed a common item -- can you find this too?

Robbie McEwen's
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tech/features/tour_bikes6/IMG_0911.jpg
Stefano Garzelli's
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tech/features/tour_bikes4/tdf06-liq1.jpg
Erik Zabel's
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tech/features/tour_bikes3/tdf06-milramep-1.jpg
Danilo Di Luca's
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tech/probikes/liquigas_bianchi_diluca/IMG_0693.jpg
bikes i'll never be able to afford
cheers

Roy E. Munson
07-11-2006, 08:50 AM
None of them are made of steel, not even the fork.

zap
07-11-2006, 08:56 AM
All the Campy equiped bikes have carbon cranks.

Shimano will catch up next year.

Fat Robert
07-11-2006, 10:29 AM
There, I fixed it to show the entirely valid oppising opinion. Anybody actually advocating one style over another as a rule, for something as completely subjective as handlebars, is wrong.

jason, doesn't one read every forum post with a parenthetical "I think that" preceding anything in pixels? I don't know you, I've never had any interaction with you, and frankly, I don't care for my post to be singled out from this thread as the object of derision.

if you wish to make your point, please make it on its own merit, rather than using someone else's post as a convenient straw man for your salvo.

Kevan
07-11-2006, 12:04 PM
are CF and almost all the same. They use the same chain lube too.

oracle
07-11-2006, 12:30 PM
. . . what, exactly?

up to this point ^ , the conversation was really pretty civil ; i don't think anyone was criticizing you or your lifestyle choices.

bostondrunk
07-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Yeah BBdave, now my feelings are hurt. ;)

bostondrunk
07-11-2006, 01:03 PM

Fstrthnu

Cool, but I thought only guys who pushed Tiso bike parts were gay? :confused:

obtuse
07-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Cool, but I thought only guys who pushed Tiso bike parts were gay? :confused:

do beautiful things make you cry?

obtuse

catulle
07-11-2006, 01:50 PM
I'll ride whatever she tells me to ride, atmo...

Jeremy
07-11-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm sure that this answer has been posted, but I didn't look ahead to check.

Classic round handlebars?

JasonH
07-11-2006, 02:54 PM
jason, doesn't one read every forum post with a parenthetical "I think that" preceding anything in pixels? I don't know you, I've never had any interaction with you, and frankly, I don't care for my post to be singled out from this thread as the object of derision.

if you wish to make your point, please make it on its own merit, rather than using someone else's post as a convenient straw man for your salvo.

I read what's written. I think that's a major disconnect with this forum (at least I hope that's it). Folks (many included here) state their opinions as fact 99% of the time and come off holier than thou. Hell, even when it's obvious folks are stating their opinion, they still usually sound smug =p

Grant McLean
07-11-2006, 02:57 PM
I think that's a major disconnect with this forum (at least I hope that's it). Folks (many included here) state their opinions as fact 99% of the time and come off holier than thou.

Is that a fact, or just your opinion?

(that's a smug rhetorical question)

g

Fat Robert
07-11-2006, 03:35 PM
I read what's written. I think that's a major disconnect with this forum (at least I hope that's it). Folks (many included here) state their opinions as fact 99% of the time and come off holier than thou. Hell, even when it's obvious folks are stating their opinion, they still usually sound smug =p

self-referential potd

Serpico
07-11-2006, 03:44 PM
fyi, you guys are arguing about bicycle handlebars on an internet forum

atmo
07-11-2006, 03:48 PM
and with such conviction too atmo!

Fat Robert
07-11-2006, 03:50 PM
nah

i'm getting my panties in a wad about etiquette

i'm emily freaking post

Big Dan
07-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Yes, because according to some, you can only reach speeds of over 25 mph with the round bars.
This is important stuff and someone should tell Floyd Landis to change his bar if he wants to win the Tour.......... :eek:

:bike:

bcm119
07-11-2006, 03:53 PM

more specifically, which ones are gayer. :rolleyes:

Grant McLean
07-11-2006, 03:57 PM

Where's the arguement?

A few 'pals' are tossing in their 0.02

It's not like anyone can say you're wrong.
You like what you like. Do I feel inferior because
atmo doesn't ride the same bar as me? hardly.
I'm oversize, carbon, anatomic, and loving it.

g

93legendti
07-11-2006, 03:59 PM
...I'm oversize, carbon, anatomic, and loving it.

g

potd!

catulle
07-11-2006, 04:00 PM
nah

i'm getting my panties in a wad about etiquette

i'm emily freaking post

I told you not to make public that picture you had taken the last time you went with e-RICHIE to Hooter's, atmo. Now you're paying for not listening to me. Jeezzzz...

Fat Robert
07-11-2006, 04:06 PM
I told you not to make public that picture you had taken the last time you went with e-RICHIE to Hooter's, atmo. Now you're paying for not listening to me. Jeezzzz...

this is what happens when you don't get the right music and gymnastic...you're all over-sensitive and hissy

anyway, that's my sister with the tattoo

i'm in the sleeveless number on the right

bcm119
07-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Where's the arguement?

g
I think he was just giving some perspective, which was effing funny atmo. Lets not start arguing about whether we were arguing about bike handlebars on an internet forum, we've already driven fat Robert to sharing the Old Crow with the local 'necks.

atmo
07-11-2006, 04:37 PM
I think he was just giving some perspective, which was effing funny atmo. Lets not start arguing about whether we were arguing about bike handlebars on an internet forum, we've already driven fat Robert to sharing the Old Crow with the local 'necks.
agreed atmo. to reiterate -
www.vergesport.com

Fat Robert
07-11-2006, 05:54 PM
we're drinking citrus degreaser fyi

catulle
07-11-2006, 06:45 PM
we're drinking citrus degreaser fyi

Citrus julep, atmo...?

Fat Robert
07-11-2006, 06:54 PM
after a few pedros and everclear cocktails, verything looks good...dork bars...gay bars...biker bars...mars bars...scarlett's fat momma...you name it, i'll try it....

taz-t
07-11-2006, 07:45 PM

wow... I haven't been in that 'hood in forever. Is Chang still holding court over there?

- Taz

taz-t
07-11-2006, 07:55 PM
I'll ride whatever she tells me to ride, atmo...

Catulle -

Have they served the restraining order yet?

- Taz

catulle
07-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Catulle -

Have they served the restraining order yet?

- Taz

Oh, yeah; for sure, man. That guy wouldn't quit stalking my girl friend, atmo. Jeezzz, some crazy dudes out there, iirc.

atmo
07-11-2006, 09:00 PM
wow... I haven't been in that 'hood in forever. Is Chang still holding court over there?

- Taz
yeah - he's had that sybil thing going on
but here's a relevant post wrt living the
12k dream as a D3 racer:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/browse_thread/thread/2167220bfa03a0e0/f8deb4c7a44b83e2?q=12k+dream&rnum=5#f8deb4c7a44b83e2

Serpico
07-12-2006, 03:18 PM
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BUY_PRODUCT_STANDARD&PRODUCT.ID=3307&CATEGORY.ID=28&MODE=

"When you operate in the retail world like we do, diplomacy is king. We don't want anyone to feel lousy because they picked out a jersey or a component or a frame we're not too keen on -- after all our job is to sell stuff, whether or not we understand the market trends. But sometimes we've got to put our collective feet down and get opinionated. Certain things are black and white and even if it's at the cost of losing sales we need to make our feelings known. Case in point: No matter how light or pretty or stiff or fast your bike might be, if it's equipped with anatomic drop bars you'll see us wince. To this day we have no earthly idea how anyone with anatomic bars can ride in the drops. They "ergonomic" flat sections don't mirror any human hand we've ever seen, and they position your hands so darn far away from the levers that shifting or braking requires Plasticman-like fingers to accomplish.

If you ride anatomic, do yourself and RUN (don't walk or even trot) to your nearest bike shop or website to buy a set of shallow drop a.k.a. "Classic" drop handlebars. It's the shape that every cyclist used, rode, and loved 'til year 1999 or so, and it confounds everyone who studies such trends why they disappeared under the avalanche of anatomic bars that came around at the outset of the Armstrong era. Classic drop bars feel ergonomically natural in the drops, they allow you to reach you levers with ease, and they permit you to quickly and seamlessly change hand positions from drops to hoods, hoods to drops.

Deda has long championed the Classic drop cause, as evidenced by the existence of both shallow AND deep non-anatomic drops on their ever-popular Newton and 215 alloy handlebars. They've committed even further to their belief in the Classic drop by unveiling their first ever carbon fiber Classic bar, the Campione. At a moderate 80mm of reach and 143mm of drop, you'll feel like you're at home in any hand position. And it won't just make your dream bike more comfortable, at 192g it'll help keep it as light as can be. It comes with double cable grooves, in traditional Italiano style. Available in 42cm, 44cm, and 46cm (outside-outside). One final side note: Deda recommends the use of their Arimo 31.7mm stem for use with their carbon bars. Its unique faceplate construction keeps the potential for handlebar stress risers to an absolute minimum."

END QUOTE

Tom
07-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Whatever side of the argument you're on, you absolutely have to love that they managed to blame it on Armstrong! Yesssss!

Keith A
07-12-2006, 03:23 PM
And this bar goes for the low price of $409 :eek:

atmo
07-12-2006, 03:27 PM
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BUY_PRODUCT_STANDARD&PRODUCT.ID=3307&CATEGORY.ID=28&MODE=
sorry - i feel compelled to add this (http://www.richardsachs.com/ovalsachs.pdf) to the fray -
and, sorry for patting my own back atmo.

dgauthier
07-12-2006, 03:31 PM

Rant on.

Nothing but a longwnded sales pitch for an outrageously expensive $400 classic bend carbon bar. (CC.com and Deda, please meet my friend Mr. H. Jablowmee.)

Anatomic bars were only sold so that cyclists could be sold classic bars later.

Rant off.

Bill Bove
07-12-2006, 03:34 PM
Whatever side of the argument you're on, you absolutely have to love that they managed to blame it on Armstrong! Yesssss!
Armstrong of course is denying his role in this affair pointing to the fact that in every known photo of him on a bike during
"The Armstrong Era" he is clearly riding tradional round drop bars. Leaving us to only speculate as to the shape of his bars sickness.

This is rich, we're no longer satisfied with Campy v. Shimano or even tubulars and clinchers, we have to argue over the shape of each others bars :banana:

dirtdigger88
07-12-2006, 03:39 PM
This is rich, we're no longer satisfied with Campy v. Shimano or even tubulars and clinchers, we have to argue over the shape of each others bars :banana:

its a small step up from comparing penis sizes. . . but at least its a step up

Jason

vandeda
07-12-2006, 03:43 PM

They "ergonomic" flat sections don't mirror any human hand we've ever seen, and they position your hands so darn far away from the levers that shifting or braking requires Plasticman-like fingers to accomplish.
END QUOTE

I find that interesting. I look at the hooks in round bars ... and wonder ... "wow, my hand doesn't bend like that. Hands aren't meant to bend backwards, no wonder it's uncomfortable". So I guess I have no clue why they think the hooks in round bars somehow mirror human hands because I haven't seen such a hand yet.

Drops work a-ok for me and my small hands on my Salsa Bell Laps. And even with my small hands, no problems reaching the shifters or brakes, and I have very very short fingers. Well ... I guess I'm just a freak of nature as I find I have 5 comfortable positions on my Bell Laps, but only 3 on round bars. Oh well, I'm OK with being a freak, it's just plain old more fun :banana: :banana: :banana:

Dan

coylifut
07-12-2006, 04:03 PM
what kind of bars are on McCewen's bike. I like the shape.

obtuse
07-12-2006, 08:19 PM
those campiones are not round handlebars. they are bars that need to be tilted way back in order to get the hoods in anywhere near to the right place. they were designed to give tom boonen his high hood position and his deep in the drop sprint position. they are not classic in any sense.

obtuse

Fat Robert
07-12-2006, 09:02 PM
I find that interesting. I look at the hooks in round bars ... and wonder ... "wow, my hand doesn't bend like that. Hands aren't meant to bend backwards, no wonder it's uncomfortable". So I guess I have no clue why they think the hooks in round bars somehow mirror human hands because I haven't seen such a hand yet.

Dan

its not your hand...its your fingers. relax your hand. let the fingers close slightly (they should do this anyway if you're relaxed). turn your hand so the thumb is pointing up. now look at the little curve the first knuckle on each of your fingers make. this is why a lot -- not all, but a lot -- of riders like round bars. when you find the curve of a bar that goes well with the natural curve of your grip, you're there. no two types of bars curve in the same exact way -- it would be stupid if they did.

ok, some folks like dork bars (disclaimer -- using them does not make you a dork. the bars themselves are dorky, but you are not. you're just peachy). but i can't remember anyone saying their bars sucked before 1997 or so.... people would try different bars, maybe rotate them up just a tad, everything was groovy. then round bars vanished and dork bars appeared. dork bars are ok if your hand feels good on the flat part, but unless you are missing several fingers the flats are useless, and most guys hit their wrists when sprinting on them unless you're tom boonen. also, you're locked into two basic hand positions -- tops and bendy bit.

dork bars have been around long enough for a lot of riders to have never used round ones...but if you find the right set of traditional bars and find the right tilt for them, you'll find you have more useable hand positions, you won't have to rotate them to the sky to avoid hitting your wrists, and i'll bet you won't go back to the bendy things

obtuse
07-12-2006, 09:11 PM
its not your hand...its your fingers. relax your hand. let the fingers close slightly (they should do this anyway if you're relaxed). turn your hand so the thumb is pointing up. now look at the little curve the first knuckle on each of your fingers make. this is why a lot -- not all, but a lot -- of riders like round bars. when you find the curve of a bar that goes well with the natural curve of your grip, you're there. no two bars curve in the same exact way -- it would be stupid if they did.

ok, some folks like dork bars (disclaimer -- using them does not make you a dork. the bars themselves are dorky, but you are not. you're just peachy). but i can't remember anyone saying their bars sucked before 1997 or so.... people would try different bars, maybe rotate them up just a tad, everything was groovy. then round bars vanished and dork bars appeared. dork bars are ok if your hand feels good on the flat part, but unless you are missing several fingers the flats are useless, and most guys hit their wrists when sprinting on them unless you're tom boonen. also, you're locked in to two basic hand positions -- tops and bendy bit.

dork bars have been around long enough for a lot of riders to have never used round ones...but if you find the right set of traditional bars and find the right tilt for them, you'll find you have more useable hand positions, you won't have to rotate them to the sky to avoid hitting your wrists, and i'll bet you won't go back to the bendy things

you're being a homo-phobe. they're called gay bars because they make people who never ride in the drops happy. they are not for dorks they're for happy people and from here on out round bars are to be referred to by their proper name stripbars, because if you're going there you're definatly looking for the hooks.

obtuse
obtuse

Fat Robert
07-12-2006, 09:18 PM
keepin up with the pc curve is hard bro

Grant McLean
07-12-2006, 09:20 PM
keepin up with the pc curve is hard bro

nice pun.

that's why the cool kids do it.
If it were easy, it wouldn't be so cool.

g

H.Frank Beshear
07-12-2006, 09:35 PM
I've had the chance to put several hundred miles on a set of Cinelli 65's (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=215487&postcount=1) . Does anyone know why they quit making them? Fatmo is right turn the hands just a little bit and stay in the drops as long as you want. Besides they just look right imho.

obtuse
07-12-2006, 09:38 PM
I've had the chance to put several hundred miles on a set of Cinelli 65's (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=215487&postcount=1) . Does anyone know why they quit making them? Fatmo is right turn the hands just a little bit and stay in the drops as long as you want. Besides they just look right imho.

best handlebar ever made. and they work fine with d/a ten shifters and the old pointy campy bodies too. check the archives for the pictures of my c50 for proof.

obtuse

Fat Robert
07-12-2006, 09:47 PM
66 campione del mondo

best bar ever

disagree and you just embarras yourself imho atmo yo bro, ya know

Bill Bove
07-13-2006, 04:24 AM
best bar ever

Ralph's Blue Moon Saloon in Worcester, Mass :banana:

Fat Robert
07-13-2006, 05:48 AM
best bar ever

the deadwood, iowa city

William
07-13-2006, 05:53 AM
the deadwood, iowa city

Foxylady, hands down. Just just keep your hands on the bar...otherwise they might get broken...and then anatoms for you.

William