PDA

View Full Version : Where is J.P. Weigle

john903
08-21-2016, 10:13 PM
Ok with these beautiful J.P. Weigles showing up lately I thought I would check out his web site, but where is it? I have searched the web and put in different names and spellings and all I find are flicker web sites, more pictures, and lots of articles about his bikes, so where is he? This is driving me crazy all I have uncovered is he is in Connecticut and makes beautiful frames and everyone has wonderful things to say about them. So is there a web site or a phone number maybe an address something. Of course maybe I don't want to find out because I may put a deposit down on one which isn't a bad thing it has been about 10 years since my last new frame humm.
Anyway thanks for your help or enabling paceline friends.

Keith A
08-21-2016, 10:19 PM
Can't find a website, but his contact info is here...
http://www.sandsmachine.com/bp_weigl.htm

8aaron8
08-21-2016, 10:25 PM
You can get in contact with him through his flickr profile by sending a message. I may be completely wrong on this, but I think he may not be doing new orders as he has a lot of work already waiting. However, better double check that with the man himself.

Corso
08-21-2016, 10:29 PM
D2R2 yesterday:

R3awak3n
08-21-2016, 10:33 PM
Ahah yeah I saw him at d2r2 as well yesterday.

You can get in touch with him through Flickr, he doesn't have or need a website :eek:

He is quick with the answer too

rwsaunders
08-21-2016, 10:57 PM
Don't get sucked in by the pretty pictures as you'll never be able to escape...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00

Peter B
08-22-2016, 01:04 AM
<snip>

...it has been about 10 years since my last new frame humm.
Anyway thanks for your help or enabling paceline friends.

And it'll prolly be about that long to get a new Weigle if JP is even accepting any orders.

happycampyer
08-22-2016, 04:40 AM
Not only does Mr. Weigle ride D2R2 every year (or most years), but there is no better place than D2R2 to see his work in person. I must've seen over a dozen of his frames last weekend.

My understanding as well is that he is not accepting new orders. People I know whose numbers are just now coming up have been in his queue for almost a decade.

If you like that style of bike, I would consider calling either Brian Chapman or Eric at Winter Bicyles. They are not in the Weigle stratosphere, but their bicycles are sublime and they are taking orders.

weisan
08-22-2016, 04:42 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2030727&postcount=224

http://alicehui.com/pics/D2R2_2016/pals/IMG_5797%20(1).jpg

marciero
08-22-2016, 05:55 AM

If you like that style of bike, I would consider calling either Brian Chapman or Eric at Winter Bicyles. They are not in the Weigle stratosphere, but their bicycles are sublime and they are taking orders.

Have been kicking tires off an on with Brian over the last few years. Even visited his shop. Got sidetracked with some other projects, but he will get the call as soon as I can budeget.

Incidentally, Brian has been known to ride D2R2 as well. My girlfriend did the 100k by herself in 2014 and had a couple of flats. She got help from several nice people, one of whom I am almost certain was Brian, based on a paceline photo from the ride of a guy that she said had helped her.

pinkshogun
08-22-2016, 06:07 AM
Incidentally, Brian has been known to ride D2R2 as well. My girlfriend did the 100k by herself in 2014 and had a couple of flats. She got help from several nice people, one of whom I am almost certain was Brian, based on a paceline photo from the ride of a guy that she said had helped her.[/QUOTE]

I rode D2R2 with Brian in 2014 and I dont recall helping anybody with a flat tire. this is brian and his machine from that year

happycampyer
08-22-2016, 07:01 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2030727&postcount=224

http://alicehui.com/pics/D2R2_2016/pals/IMG_5797%20(1).jpg
Wei San, that is great to hear. When I asked several years ago at D2R2 he was not accepting new orders. I guess he has whittled down the queue enough that he's taking orders again.

AngryScientist
08-22-2016, 07:04 AM
thanks to weisan, we got to have a nice little chat this weekend with mr weigle, tremendously nice gentleman. would love to have a frame from him someday. another reason to love the deerfield ride, riding with legends.

sparky33
08-22-2016, 08:24 AM

Agreed.
JPW work and reputation are legendary, but Winter and Chapman are right up there too. I think the latter are also more open to incorporating modern or non-traditional features (discs, threadless stems, etc) on an otherwise traditional French bike while JPW has a somewhat set concept of the bikes he wants to build. Both ways of doing things are completely valid, but it is something to consider before making a deposit and putting your waiting hat on. Have that conversation early.

fwiw, my Weigle took about 6 years. Telephone is a good way to reach him.

Mzilliox
08-22-2016, 09:33 AM
Agreed.
JPW work and reputation are legendary, but Winter and Chapman are right up there too. I think the latter are also more open to incorporating modern or non-traditional features (discs, threadless stems, etc) on an otherwise traditional French bike while JPW has a somewhat set concept of the bikes he wants to build. Both ways of doing things are completely valid, but it is something to consider before making a deposit and putting your waiting hat on. Have that conversation early.

fwiw, my Weigle took about 6 years. Telephone is a good way to reach him.

As far as i know new orders are not a possibility unless you are royalty or something. Mitch Pryor or Brian Chapman would be worthy alternatives.

Or do what some of us do and spend a year scouring classified adds and ebay until you can convince someone to sell you one in your size...

Mzilliox
08-22-2016, 09:51 AM
If you are a tall mofo:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-P-Weigle-Special-Complete-Bicycle-/222222458778?hash=item33bd7d9f9a:g:kOUAAOSwawpXsxY 6
this is slick as hell

rwsaunders
08-22-2016, 09:58 AM

rwsaunders
08-22-2016, 09:59 AM
http://i.imgur.com/XYSH0CPh.jpg

JPW's are equally great for either riding or lounging over iced coffee.

john903
08-22-2016, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all the info folks I will try calling or even perhaps writing a letter I am old school after all. That D2R2 ride sounds like a lot of fun with many cycling luminaries in presence. I may be looking to far away, after all Hampsten head quarters is just about an 1 1/2 drive and ferry ride away. But still I blame Mzillox for my interest in J.P. Weigle frames his is one beautiful bike and I may use his advice and search for a used one.
Thanks again

Mzilliox
08-22-2016, 11:34 AM
Thanks for all the info folks I will try calling or even perhaps writing a letter I am old school after all. That D2R2 ride sounds like a lot of fun with many cycling luminaries in presence. I may be looking to far away, after all Hampsten head quarters is just about an 1 1/2 drive and ferry ride away. But still I blame Mzillox for my interest in J.P. Weigle frames his is one beautiful bike and I may use his advice and search for a used one.
Thanks again

I'm happy to take the blame, but im not the only sicko around. there's plenty of cats around who are currently, or always are searching for Weigles. I'd buy another in my size right now if there was one around in a 54-56cm...

velofinds
08-22-2016, 12:31 PM
I wonder if he still rides 700x25 pumped up to 115 PSI :D

http://mombat.org/1187Weigle.jpg

ColonelJLloyd
08-22-2016, 12:36 PM
Nah.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5192/5835573753_4df4bd95b9_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/9TEQLz)Shaving a pair of Hetre tires. (https://flic.kr/p/9TEQLz) by peter (https://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/), on Flickr

palincss
08-22-2016, 03:14 PM
Ok with these beautiful J.P. Weigles showing up lately I thought I would check out his web site, but where is it?

Peter doesn't have a web site. He's on flickr all the time, though.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/

J. Anquetil
08-22-2016, 03:34 PM
Worst experience buying a frame ever. Bad, pretty damn bad. Never again. Not worth it, either.

Mzilliox
08-22-2016, 03:50 PM
Worst experience buying a frame ever. Bad, pretty damn bad. Never again. Not worth it, either.

Interesting report, care to elaborate? This is very different to the norm.

J. Anquetil
08-22-2016, 04:16 PM
Interesting report, care to elaborate? This is very different to the norm.

I'd rather not get in a pissing match with anyone here as I'm sure advocates of the "greatest framebuilder ever" will surface even if they haven't seen a Weigle frame in a picture. Too many bull**** artists and con men in the business but too many people seem to love the Kool-Aid.

In any event, I feel I've filled my duty and called the heads-up.

sparky33
08-22-2016, 04:47 PM
many people seem to love the Kool-Aid.

Fair enough.
Yours is not the only sideways experience I've heard of over the years. No harm done in keeping things grounded here.

Waldo
08-22-2016, 06:00 PM
Fair enough.
Yours is not the only sideways experience I've heard of over the years. No harm done in keeping things grounded here.

I've heard Peter's version of this story. As always, there are two sides...

J. Anquetil
08-22-2016, 06:43 PM
I've heard Peter's version of this story. As always, there are two sides...

How do you know it is my case...? I've already received a couple of PMs from people relating similar experiences to mine. Just what I expected, hit the victim, defend the culprit. There you go. Maybe we ought to air it here and now, go into the details. I still keep the paperwork and invoices.

AngryScientist
08-22-2016, 06:50 PM
we are all for open discussion here. in situations like this it's best to keep the posts fact based and non emotional, even though i DO understand that these types of things do get peoples emotions in high gear.

let's just remember that we're all adults here and capable of having a rational conversation about bike related topics without resorting to sniping each other.

discussion is good and welcome; bickering is bad.

54ny77
08-22-2016, 07:07 PM
https://m.popkey.co/d412ec/87j90.gif

Waldo
08-22-2016, 09:33 PM
OP sought contact information and received it. Dragging Peter's name through the mud, rehashing a years old complaint accomplishes nothing here. OP can decide whether to do business with Peter based on his own interactions with the builder.

(My experience with Peter has been stellar, and he has always acted honorably toward me.)

charliedid
08-22-2016, 09:50 PM

Dude, Peter does NOT build recumbents!

Sheesh

velotrack
08-22-2016, 09:51 PM
Seriously?
We need to stop protecting framebuilders so much here. Just because it was not the original topic of the thread does not mean it cannot be said.

They should be held accountable like any other business... and if there are bad stories, we should hear them, especially if we're dropping thousands on a frame.

palincss
08-23-2016, 05:38 AM
Seriously?
We need to stop protecting framebuilders so much here. Just because it was not the original topic of the thread does not mean it cannot be said.

They should be held accountable like any other business... and if there are bad stories, we should hear them, especially if we're dropping thousands on a frame.

This is hardly what I'd call "being held accountable."

SamIAm
08-23-2016, 06:51 AM
His work is flawless. But I'm not going to dismiss anybody who's had a rough time getting a frame out of him, because I've been there.

cadence90
08-23-2016, 07:16 AM
I'd rather not get in a pissing match with anyone here as I'm sure advocates of the "greatest framebuilder ever" will surface even if they haven't seen a Weigle frame in a picture. Too many bull**** artists and con men in the business but too many people seem to love the Kool-Aid.

No, you have not done so in the least.

You have in fact done the opposite. You have simply posted a vague complaint, with absolutely no detail at all.

To be clear, I do not know Mr. Weigle, have never communicated with him, nor have I ever even actually seen one of his frames. From what I have seen, only "in a picture", his work looks very good. But I have not experienced the actual process, and grant that that can be a very different experience, with anyone.

Still, I do not that think besmirching reputations (on the the internet, especially) via innuendo is a strong position, nor do I see any worth at all to posting vague statements about anyone, without actual evidence, and even much less so in someone else's thread.

I seriously doubt that there is a big "protective conspiracy" here, but if you truly feel the need to complain, then why not post your own thread dedicated to that specific subject?

If you do feel that desire, for guidance please read the thread in General Discussion titled, "Seeking advice - Pushing a custom job" for how it is done, with patience, fairness, evidence, grace, and class.

I hope that helps.

His work is flawless. But I'm not going to dismiss anybody who's had a rough time getting a frame out of him, because I've been there.

I agree completely with the sentiment, but I also think that these fence-sitting assertions are not so helpful, and I absolutely do not understand the coy allegations. Either **** or get off the ***, right?

cw05
08-23-2016, 07:24 AM
Just what I expected, hit the victim, defend the culprit. There you go. Maybe we ought to air it here and now, go into the details. I still keep the paperwork and invoices.

Been there, done that. Doesn't make sense. I have a Curt Goodrich frame in the garage that never gets ridden to remind me of the bad experience.

bcroslin
08-23-2016, 08:00 AM
Don't get sucked in by the pretty pictures as you'll never be able to escape...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00

um, you're not kidding. omg....

SamIAm
08-23-2016, 08:05 AM
I agree completely with the sentiment, but I also think that these fence-sitting assertions are not so helpful, and I absolutely do not understand the coy allegations. Either **** or get off the ***, right?

I'm not fence sitting. I had an awful experience, but I do not think/hope that it is representative of working with him. But I absolutely support those who would speak up to similar bad experiences without giving details. Its ok to have a one or two of these transactions go sideways and be verbal about it. It allows differentiation among those who do offer top notch build and delivery as part of their business.

cadence90
08-23-2016, 08:14 AM
I'm not fence sitting. I had an awful experience, but I do not think/hope that it is representative of working with him. But I absolutely support those who would speak up to similar bad experiences without giving details. Its ok to have a one or two of these transactions go sideways and be verbal about it. It allows differentiation among those who do offer top notch build and delivery as part of their business.
I'm sorry, but what is/would be the point of providing no details? :confused:

I once had a horrendous experience, too, at -------- business.

BobbyJones
08-23-2016, 08:17 AM
Much ado about nothing.

One guy asks about how he can get in touch, another says he has a bad experience. I think being vague is an invitation for someone who's seriously considering a purchase (or "enter a relationship with" for you framebuilder romantics) to get in touch and get details. Just the opposite of publicly dragging someone's name through the mud

I'd like to think we're all adults here and we know the three sides to every story rule.

And as far as thread drift, there's no shortage of that on this forum. At least the comment was directly related to the OP.

cadence90
08-23-2016, 08:45 AM
Much ado about nothing.

One guy asks about how he can get in touch, another says he has a bad experience. I think being vague is an invitation for someone who's seriously considering a purchase (or "enter a relationship with" for you framebuilder romantics) to get in touch and get details. Just the opposite of publicly dragging someone's name through the mud

I'd like to think we're all adults here and we know the three sides to every story rule.

And as far as thread drift, there's no shortage of that on this forum. At least the comment was directly related to the OP.
Right:

Hey, everyone, a while back I had a really horrendous experience with B***yJ***s, but I'm not going to publicly state what that experience was.

Instead, if you're "considering a purchase from" or "thinking of entering into a relationship with" B***yJ***s, and are smart enough to read between the lines, hey, just PM me for details, to which I may or may not reply. In any case, I will not disclose those details publicly, despite how it might affect others, and even privately only with the strict assurance that you will not ever divulge any details of how badly B***yJ***s treated me; rest assured, it was really horrible, but we all have rugs at hand, right? :rolleyes:

Hey, send your frame to EL for a re-paint, what do I care?*

*I actually do care, a lot, about accountability, both ways.

SamIAm
08-23-2016, 08:54 AM
I'm sorry, but what is/would be the point of providing no details? :confused:

I once had a horrendous experience, too, at -------- business.

Again, I am hoping my experience was unique or at least relatively unique and due to a uncommon set of circumstances, the specifics of which do not need to be shared broadly, but happily shared privately with someone who is serious about contracting a frame from Peter. It may be that my reason for disappointment would not be an issue for them. It may be that they would structure the transaction differently based on my experience. This entire board does not need the details, but an interested buyer has every right to them.

ColonelJLloyd
08-23-2016, 08:58 AM
*I actually do care, a lot, about accountability, both ways.

Then maybe take it to PM.

cadence90
08-23-2016, 09:13 AM
Again, I am hoping my experience was unique or at least relatively unique and due to a uncommon set of circumstances, the specifics of which do not need to be shared broadly, but happily shared privately with someone who is serious about contracting a frame from Peter. It may be that my reason for disappointment would not be an issue for them. It may be that they would structure the transaction differently based on my experience. This entire board does not need the details, but an interested buyer has every right to them.
I will respect that.
I hope, then, that potential purchasers do reach out to you or to "J.Anquetil", if that is what it takes, and if privacy is so paramount.

I just don't get the secrecy thing, I guess. In my profession mistakes are communicated openly.

Then maybe take it to PM.
I'm sorry, but who should I PM, and about what, exactly? :confused:

ColonelJLloyd
08-23-2016, 09:18 AM
I'm sorry, but who should I PM, and about what, exactly? :confused:

You're beating a dead horse and now being deliberately obtuse. Thumbs up, bud.

raygunner
08-23-2016, 09:26 AM
Right:

Hey, everyone, a while back I had a really horrendous experience with B***yJ***s, but I'm not going to publicly state what that experience was.

I'd like to solve the puzzle!

Billy Joels!

AngryScientist
08-23-2016, 09:31 AM
The OP asked me to close this thread, as he got the information he requested. There has been some good discussion in this thread, thanks everyone.

Nick