PDA

View Full Version : Stupidity north of the border

Veloo
08-21-2016, 04:51 PM
Yeah, this will make us like taxi drivers even more.

Excuse me, my Uber ride is here.

http://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/news/video-toronto-taxi-driver-intentionally-hits-cyclist-act-road-rage/

Black Dog
08-21-2016, 05:09 PM
Wow, just wow. The Cyclists will probably be charged not the taxi driver. :eek:

Cicli
08-21-2016, 05:14 PM
I didnt know there were cities north of the border.

Seriously, ***? You can just hit people with a car now?

Aaron O
08-21-2016, 05:47 PM
Didn't a cabbie who amputated a woman's foot while deliberately attacking a cyclist in NYC get off?

gemship
08-21-2016, 07:55 PM
Meh...cyclist didn't get hurt and he seemed to instigate the incident. I know it doesn't make it right but I think he's kinda lucky it wasn't worse.

So looking at in another way this will not help the cyclist case to get along with drivers.

jghall
08-21-2016, 08:00 PM
Meh...cyclist didn't get hurt and he seemed to instigate the incident. I know it doesn't make it right but I think he's kinda lucky it wasn't worse.

Really. So I'll do something very non-threatening to you and you have the right to physically hurt me or possibly take my life. Please!

gemship
08-21-2016, 08:07 PM
Really. So I'll do something very non-threatening to you and you have the right to physically hurt me or possibly take my life. Please!

The guy on the bike was looking for trouble. I mean I guess it's non threatening but you saw the video, nothing really came of it but anger on both sides,mostly a bruised ego and some big rapping from a punk on a bike.

Where I live some fellas may just jump out of the truck and knock him off his bike with a fist. Shee it happens for a reason...

Dead Man
08-21-2016, 08:11 PM
Sometimes the comments right here on Paceline or worse than the video comments..

How do you know the cabbie hadn't started the whole thing by being a total dick to the messenger, and the messenger was just expressing how he felt about it?

Dead Man
08-21-2016, 08:13 PM
But regardless of what happens before... once you deliberately hit a vulnerable road user with your car, any claim to righteousness you had is gone.

Dude SHOULD have jumped out and just punched the guy - that's a 100x better way to handle it than HITTING HIM WITH HIS CAR, bro.

gemship
08-21-2016, 08:22 PM
Yep don't know all details but as they say two wrongs don't make a right. It's interesting that people get really offended when deliberately being hit by a car despite the fact that in this case the dude walked away unscathed. Fact of the matter is sharing the roads with cars is dangerous no matter the best of everyone's intentions. So yeah lets make it worse by taunting people in cars...yeah I don't know about how well that will go over:confused:

R3awak3n
08-21-2016, 08:28 PM
Yep don't know all details but as they say two wrongs don't make a right. It's interesting that people get really offended when deliberately being hit by a car despite the fact that in this case the dude walked away unscathed. Fact of the matter is sharing the roads with cars is dangerous no matter the best of everyone's intentions. So yeah lets make it worse by taunting people in cars...yeah I don't know about how well that will go over:confused:

nothing you wrote makes sense my friend. so because the cyclist is fine, its ok to just swerve 4000 lbs of steel into someone?

maybe the guy provoked the driver but as said above and I will quote because it was very well said "But regardless of what happens before... once you deliberately hit a vulnerable road user with your car, any claim to righteousness you had is gone."

look, cyclists can be huge aholes but no matter what, one should not swerve their car into anyone unless the cyclist was trying to somehow hurt him, which is obviously not the case here

gemship
08-21-2016, 08:37 PM
nothing you wrote makes sense my friend. so because the cyclist is fine, its ok to just swerve 4000 lbs of steel into someone?

maybe the guy provoked the driver but as said above and I will quote because it was very well said "But regardless of what happens before... once you deliberately hit a vulnerable road user with your car, any claim to righteousness you had is gone."

look, cyclists can be huge aholes but no matter what, one should not swerve their car into anyone unless the cyclist was trying to somehow hurt him, which is obviously not the case here

I see your point from a legal sense but take away the legality and look at the reality in that video and all parties lived to tell the tale. There was road rage on both sides. The cyclist was taunting the driver before and after being hit. He was being a punk.

Aaron O
08-21-2016, 08:47 PM
I agree gem...why just tonight, I was driving home and some smart ass punk gave me the finger! Of course I beat him over the head with a tire iron, but he survived, and learned a valuable lesson. What else was I to do? Drive on by, ignore him and just go about living my life?

R3awak3n
08-21-2016, 08:51 PM
I see your point from a legal sense but take away the legality and look at the reality in that video and all parties lived to tell the tale. There was road rage on both sides. The cyclist was taunting the driver before and after being hit. He was being a punk.

not really about the legality of the situation, this time nothing happened, next time he could have broken a bone... not worth it for anyone.

I will tell you this though, here in NY some of the top worst people out on the road, cab drivers and food delivery guys. none gives a crap about anything/anyone

gemship
08-21-2016, 08:52 PM
I agree gem...why just tonight, I was driving home and some smart ass punk gave me the finger! Of course I beat him over the head with a tire iron, but he survived, and learned a valuable lesson.

Look we live in a day of the age where people do a lot worse, like you just described or they just pull a gun out and aim to kill. Go ahead and give the finger just be ready for the potential consequences. I personally think this was kinda lucky for the cyclist with the way he got hit and walking away from it. Yeah sure I see hard core bikers getting a bit shell shocked because you guys put yourselves in harms way competing for space with cars. I love riding off road on bikes more and more everyday.

Aaron O
08-21-2016, 09:06 PM
Look we live in a day of the age where people do a lot worse, like you just described or they just pull a gun out and aim to kill. Go ahead and give the finger just be ready for the potential consequences. I personally think this was kinda lucky for the cyclist with the way he got hit and walking away from it. Yeah sure I see hard core bikers getting a bit shell shocked because you guys put yourselves in harms way competing for space with cars. I love riding off road on bikes more and more everyday.

I'm with you! It's a natural part of a society with a code of laws, and a court system with due process...I mean what would we possibly expect people to do when someone does something they don't like?

I'll be back in a minute...my wife didn't clean the dishes and I have to go beat her.

Aaron O
08-21-2016, 09:12 PM
Sorry about that...she'll be ok in a few days, and she learned a valuable lesson.

Anyway...we were talking about how this biker deserved what he got...how dare he insult another person!

I'm sure you would agree that the driver should now expect the cyclist's friends to burn his house down and run him through with a pitch fork...because after all, that's a fair expectation after assaulting someone with a car, right?

zzy
08-21-2016, 09:18 PM
Toronto cabbies are the absolute worst. Zero regard for cyclists. I have been side swiped and right hooked by them over a dozen times. Never even an apology. I once got slammed hard while riding in the College bike lane when a cabbie swerved, no signal, to pick up a fare. The fare first was screaming at the cabbie to watch out for me, then for hitting me. The cabbie almost got in a fight with the guy, then fled the scene when someone called the cops. We reported the plate to the cops but nothing happened (I was relatively okay). That reflects the general attitude of most cab drivers in my considerable experience (as a rider and frequent cab user). And these people wonder why no one supports them in their quest to disrupt traffic until Uber gets banned.

Aaron O
08-21-2016, 09:22 PM
Toronto cabbies are the absolute worst. Zero regard for cyclists. I have been side swiped and right hooked by them over a dozen times. Never even an apology. I once got slammed hard while riding in the College bike lane when a cabbie swerved, no signal, to pick up a fare. The fare first was screaming at the cabbie to watch out for me, then for hitting me. The cabbie almost got in a fight with the guy, then fled the scene when someone called the cops. We reported the plate to the cops but nothing happened (I was relatively okay). That reflects the general attitude of most cab drivers in my considerable experience (as a rider and frequent cab user). And these people wonder why no one supports them in their quest to disrupt traffic until Uber gets banned.

Ours can be rough as well...

What scares me more is uber...essentially cabbies I can't recognize as cabbies, without a regulatory body checking insurance and the strong possibility that the insurance cmoany will deny coverage because uber claims they only need standard coverage.

jtakeda
08-21-2016, 09:40 PM
Ours can be rough as well...

What scares me more is uber...essentially cabbies I can't recognize as cabbies, without a regulatory body checking insurance and the strong possibility that the insurance cmoany will deny coverage because uber claims they only need standard coverage.

I've been doored by uber passengers just jumping outta the car in the middle of the road.

At least with cabs I know they're cabs and kind of expect someone to jump out. Random Honda Civic in the middle of the road?? Yup. Over the bars.

Aaron O
08-21-2016, 09:44 PM
I'm with you.

oldpotatoe
08-22-2016, 05:36 AM
But regardless of what happens before... once you deliberately hit a vulnerable road user with your car, any claim to righteousness you had is gone.

Dude SHOULD have jumped out and just punched the guy - that's a 100x better way to handle it than HITTING HIM WITH HIS CAR, bro.

Agree..no idea what happened many minutes before the guy driving a CAR turned right into the guy on a BICYCLE..no excuse, hopefully cop saw things 'correctly'. Yell at each other all ya want, even start swinging, which is equal terms but car vs bike...always bad for bike.

verticaldoug
08-22-2016, 08:00 AM
In old days, we'd ask 'did he start it?' or 'did he finish it?'

I think the cabbie is old school.

Black Dog
08-23-2016, 07:03 AM

Your attitude is strange to say the least. So, anytime someone does something that can seriously harm or kill you but you are ok then it is fine? No harm, no foul? Allow me a dramatic analogy; Someone drives down your street firing shots into homes and misses you and your family and the take away is we are lucky, could have been worse, no big deal? Deliberately hitting someone with your car is a serious assault regardless of the outcome and there is no justification, period; regardless of what preceded the event. This is not a case of self defence.

However, the Toronto Police are all starting the victim blaming and ringing their hands. They, like you, seem to think that there may be some justification that would excuse this. Not surprising at all.

Here is their response (bolded by me):

"We only saw the dramatic end ... we don't know what led up to it," Const. Clint Stibbe said Monday. "We need to keep in mind that that video doesn't capture the entire incident — it gives us maybe a small glimpse as to what may have been happening,"

Stibbe said police are looking to speak to witnesses and need to know the context of the incident capture on the video before determining what, if any, charges will be laid.

zap
08-23-2016, 08:31 AM
edit

However, the Toronto Police are all starting the victim blaming and ringing their hands. They, like you, seem to think that there may be some justification that would excuse this. Not surprising at all.

"We only saw the dramatic end ... we don't know what led up to it," Const. Clint Stibbe said Monday. "We need to keep in mind that that video doesn't capture the entire incident — it gives us maybe a small glimpse as to what may have been happening,"

Stibbe said police are looking to speak to witnesses and need to know the context of the incident capture on the video before determining what, if any, charges will be laid.

The cabbie should be dismissed....from firm and road. Well, he can ride a bicycle to/from his new job.

Anything less..........:bike:

dancinkozmo
08-23-2016, 09:06 AM
Your attitude is strange to say the least. So, anytime someone does something that can seriously harm or kill you but you are ok then it is fine? No harm, no foul? Allow me a dramatic analogy; Someone drives down your street firing shots into homes and misses you and your family and the take away is we are lucky, could have been worse, no big deal? Deliberately hitting someone with your car is a serious assault regardless of the outcome and there is no justification, period; regardless of what preceded the event. This is not a case of self defence.

its toronto....cabbie wont get charged, plus cyclist wasnt wearing a helmet so he must be evil.

CampyorBust
08-23-2016, 09:09 AM
There is a Rob Ford joke in here somewhere, unfortunately I am drawing a blank.:confused:

gdw
08-23-2016, 09:24 AM
It's Canada guys....... The refs, err police, are trying to decide what to charge him with and whether it is a minor or major penalty. They can't charge him with boarding because he hit the cyclist from the side, charging is out since the altercation occurred over two blocks....cross checking is an option if the driver had both hands on the wheel. They could get him on interference since he impeded the cyclist's progress but I'm betting they'll take the easy way out and charge him with roughing since it was a minor altercation and no one was hurt.

torquer
08-23-2016, 01:04 PM
Wow, just wow. The Cyclists will probably be charged not the taxi driver. :eek:

Well, that tuxedo tee shirt should be at least a misdemeanor.

Whatever their beef was, at least these two were speaking the same language. Not like here:
http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2016/08/20/us/20reuters-new-york-taxi.html?_r=0&mtrref=query.nytimes.com&gwh=EF4683AD9785DF42D187ABD72EA0CA7B&gwt=pay

ntb1001
08-23-2016, 05:50 PM
It's Canada guys....... The refs, err police, are trying to decide what to charge him with and whether it is a minor or major penalty. They can't charge him with boarding because he hit the cyclist from the side, charging is out since the altercation occurred over two blocks....cross checking is an option if the driver had both hands on the wheel. They could get him on interference since he impeded the cyclist's progress but I'm betting they'll take the easy way out and charge him with roughing since it was a minor altercation and no one was hurt.
Lol..
reading this while I'm in a hockey rink right now
[emoji1] [emoji1]

efaust_o
08-23-2016, 09:02 PM
the messenger managed to hang on to his cigarette.....really, what if the messenger had of faked a bad injury(paralysis), would the immediate outcome been any different...please tell me at least a ticket, a warning, a reprimand, a lecture, a etc.?

gemship
08-24-2016, 03:48 PM

OK, let me reiterate a lot of what I said...I don't think it's ok to hit people with cars but in this case I'm not surprised. Although I am surprised that fortunately no one was hurt and why is beyond me except to say luck was on the cyclist side. I do feel that the cyclist did you and your kind a disservice by giving the cab driver the finger and rapping on his window like that whilst moving. That to me is a form of harassment. It kinda makes all look bad and really set up the situation that occurred later on...again I am not surprised. I also understand that the cyclist was upset and can tell why he was yelling about trying to get the cabbie arrested and held accountable. So you have to wonder what happened before it was all video taped? People like that cyclist I would be afraid of whacking for the simple fact that they breed trouble and can't keep their pie holes shut.

It's not a perfect world and really you treat your life like a crap shoot riding a bicycle on the street. You tempt fate even more riding really fast in minimal clothing with groups on the street. I love bikes but even I have to :rolleyes: when dealing with certain ambassadors to the act. End of rant.

Black Dog
08-25-2016, 08:11 PM
Well they charged the cab driver.

Toronto police have laid charges against a cab driver after a video of a taxi ramming a bicycle courier went viral on YouTube last week.

Toronto police seek public's help after video emerges showing taxi hitting cyclist
The 57-year-old Thornhill man faces one count of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and one count of assault with a weapon — in this case, his taxi. (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/taxi-driver-faces-charges-after-video-of-cab-hitting-cyclist-goes-viral-1.3736231)

TunaAndBikes
08-26-2016, 07:47 AM
I didnt know there were cities north of the border.

If Trump gets elected we'll officialy be able to say north of The Wall.

dancinkozmo
08-26-2016, 10:22 AM
If Trump gets elected we'll officialy be able to say north of The Wall.

LOL ! except the wall wont be used to keep us out of the states but to keep you guys in :D

gemship
08-27-2016, 06:15 AM
Well they charged the cab driver.

Toronto police have laid charges against a cab driver after a video of a taxi ramming a bicycle courier went viral on YouTube last week.

Toronto police seek public's help after video emerges showing taxi hitting cyclist
The 57-year-old Thornhill man faces one count of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and one count of assault with a weapon — in this case, his taxi. (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/taxi-driver-faces-charges-after-video-of-cab-hitting-cyclist-goes-viral-1.3736231)

Well that's good and obvious! Obvious because like previous posters here on this thread and possibly you too if we are to make generalizations then all people who drive cars into people should be held liable because it's a criminal act. Honestly I thought that much was obvious but for me personally although I ride a bicycle once in a while I have to spend more time driving for work. I guess I am not and this much I assume as hardcore of a cyclist as some other forumites. I think when you get to a hard core cyclist level you tend to see cars as the enemy as well as you should. I dunno much except what I saw. I probably should of stated the obvious, oh cyclist got hit and cabbie must pay because cabbie is a danger to society. However what was also obvious to me is the cyclist was rude, and antagonistic. He didn't deserve to get hit with a car but how can any one with an iota of common sense not see that the cyclist was as active participant in the road rage pertain to this video?

m_sasso
08-27-2016, 02:28 PM
CUT
I probably should of stated the obvious, oh cyclist got hit and cabbie must pay because cabbie is a danger to society. However what was also obvious to me is the cyclist was rude, and antagonistic. He didn't deserve to get hit with a car but how can any one with an iota of common sense not see that the cyclist was as active participant in the road rage pertain to this video?

Thanks for pointing out the apparent, yes the courier spat in the drivers face however does not excuse the driver employing a 3000 lbs. weapon to take out the courier. Maybe the courier should be charged with name calling, taunting, provoking or street bulling?

Most Canadian provinces have road rage laws and the courier certainly should be charged with being an active participant in breaking this law.

zap
08-27-2016, 04:33 PM
People like that cyclist I would be afraid of whacking for the simple fact that they breed trouble and can't keep their pie holes shut.

You better be afraid of wacking angels riding bicycles.

People get passionate about their safety.

blakcloud
09-04-2016, 09:41 PM
This story keeps on going. Now they have charged the cyclist with assault.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/cyclist-taxi-new-charges-1.3748285

CampyorBust
09-05-2016, 05:54 AM
Don’t you just love it when circumstance brings two imbeciles head to head for everyone to watch and learn from?

Hindsight 20/20 and all that, the taxi driver should have opted not to use his massive land yacht as a battering ram, instead should have…

Parked the car along the side of the road, put on his hazard lights as he is about to remove an obvious road hazard and perform an invaluable public service. Sprint up to the offending hybrid bicycle rider (should not be that hard). Pants him, wrap the pants around the saddle then gently and nonchalantly guide the spitting camel into the closest newspaper dispenser and or parking meter. After said justice is administered bow for the standing ovation and go on to deliver amused customer to their destination and humbly accept the generous tip.