PDA

View Full Version : Campy shifting problem?

rob137
07-10-2006, 02:11 PM
I have some Campy 10 Chorus on one of my road bikes. It is the only bike I have with Campy shifters. When I try to shift in on the RD (toward the frame) by 1 cog, it seems to overshift and then fall onto the desired cog making a sound like it missed the shift, but it didn't. If I shift in by 2 cogs, it sounds perfect and finds the right cog. At no point, once I am in my cog of choice, does the chain make any sound.

Is this an adjustment problem?
User error?
Normal for Campy?

Thanks.

Dave
07-10-2006, 03:36 PM
It's not normal for Campy shifters to do anything but precise shifts in either direction.

Your description is a bit vague. Do you mean that this happens when you use the finger lever to shift to larger cogs or the thumb button to shift to smaller cogs?

Either way, it's probably just a cable tension adjustment. If the the finger lever tends to overshift to a larger cog, but settles back on the right one, it means the cable has too much tension. Turn the cable tension adjuster on the RD clockwise to reduce tension. If it's the thumb button over shiftng toward smaller cogs, then the tension is too low, so do the opposite.

Cables that are worn and/or lack proper lubrication can cause a problem when using the thumb button to shift to smaller cogs. Excessive friction can delay the shift or force you to use too little cable tension. Removing the cables and lubing may help, but if not, new housing and cables can be the answer.