PDA

View Full Version : removing sewups w/out shredding them?

Dr Luxurious
08-21-2016, 11:46 AM
any tricks to pulling sewups without killing the base tape?

usually when I remove one, its flat so I just pry it and/or cut it but I have some I want to save...

regularguy412
08-21-2016, 12:43 PM

usually when I remove one, its flat so I just pry it and/or cut it but I have some I want to save...

IMHO, lots of moving parts here.

I've been successful at just being very careful when 'getting under' the first part. Try using a small-ish plastic tire lever and slowly work around until you can get a portion of the tire off. Then you can kinda go down the center of the rim with the lever-- prying in small sections as you go. Sometimes: the tire/tape is just too old, has been wet and dried a few times and makes the tape kinda rotten. If this is the case, you'll need new tape anyway and it's a good thing that you find out about it with the wheels OFF the bike. Additionally if you use some especially tight-adhering glue, it may just not want to give up without a fight.

It's helpful if the tire has not remained mounted on the rim for a long period of time,, say over a year. I've had some tires mounted once-upon-a-time that stayed mounted for over 3 years. When I started to remove them, I found that the glue had kinda turned to powder and required not much effort at all. This is another instance of being able to find out that the tire/rim bond might not be good without having to pick your teeth up off the pavement.

MIke in AR:beer:

buldogge
08-21-2016, 12:43 PM
Apply some heat with a heat gun, or decently strong hair dryer...softening the glue...get your removal started, and then use the round length of a screwdriver to roll the tub off the rim, around the circumference.

Roll...heat...roll...repeat.

-Mark in St. Louis

Big Dan
08-21-2016, 12:45 PM
Enjoy...

Dead Man
08-21-2016, 12:53 PM
I use a tire lever to work a spot loose, then slide a round shank screw driver, pinch the tire between screwdriver and my thumb, and give a little yank straight up. Slide the screwdriver back and do it again, till like half the tire is loose, then I'll just slowly pull the rest off my hand

haven't torn a basetape yet, doing it like this

wtex
08-21-2016, 01:26 PM
I put the wheel under a white sheet in the sun to heat up the glue, then use a plastic lever to slowly remove.

djg21
08-21-2016, 01:30 PM
How much glue are you using? I've never been unable to pull an uninflated tire off of a rim. If you can't get a bad tire off a rim, what sense is there carrying a spare? The first part can be tough, but once it is started, the tire should rip off.

Dead Man
08-21-2016, 01:36 PM
How much glue are you using? I've never been unable to pull an uninflated tire off of a rim. If you can't get a bad tire off a rim, what sense is there carrying a spare? The first part can be tough, but once it is started, the tire should rip off.

There's pulling tires off rims, then there's pulling them off rims without risking damaging the tire - OP wants to save the tire.

djg21
08-21-2016, 02:35 PM
There's pulling tires off rims, then there's pulling them off rims without risking damaging the tire - OP wants to save the tire.

Even so, very rarely did the base tape come unattached, and if it did, I'd reglue it. I don't bother with tubulars any more because of the hassle, but you can use a latex cement like Copydex to reattach base tape.

fogrider
08-21-2016, 05:59 PM

when gluing on the tire, I tend to put most of the glue on the edge of the rim, that's where I think it is important to have a strong bond between the tire and the rim. when it's time to remove, with the tire deflated, it should take some effort, but very possible to break the bond. then slip a plastic lever and the rest should come off.

false_Aest
08-21-2016, 06:17 PM
Go slow.

Use your tool of choice as a "persuader" not an "instigator."

When you're removing the tire pull up, not across.

When you get to a stubborn section take a short brake and then come back to it -- getting frustrated is the best way to ensure ripped base tape.

Buy some liquid latex (cuz TireAlert is not longer a good deal).

topflightpro
08-21-2016, 06:34 PM
I usually work the tire with my hands and get it as loose as possible.

Then I carefully work a small flat head screwdriver under the tire.

Once it is through I work it back and forth until I have an inch or two loose.

Then, I slide a round-shank screw driver between the rim and the tire, and I roll the screw driver under the tire to pull it off the rim.

I work my way all the way around until the tire is completely detached.

carpediemracing
08-21-2016, 07:41 PM
I usually work the tire with my hands and get it as loose as possible.

Then I carefully work a small flat head screwdriver under the tire.

Once it is through I work it back and forth until I have an inch or two loose.

Then, I slide a round-shank screw driver between the rim and the tire, and I roll the screw driver under the tire to pull it off the rim.

I work my way all the way around until the tire is completely detached.

+1

Roll the screwdriver backwards, it's rolling along the bottom of the tire, not along the rim. This way you're being kind to the basetape. If you roll it along the rim it'll catch/stick on the basetape. It's pretty apparent once you're doing it but just as a clarification.

I've even done this on carbon rims, although I wouldn't recommend it officially. On aluminum rims, all day long.

bart998
08-21-2016, 11:35 PM
+1

Roll the screwdriver backwards, it's rolling along the bottom of the tire, not along the rim. This way you're being kind to the basetape. If you roll it along the rim it'll catch/stick on the basetape. It's pretty apparent once you're doing it but just as a clarification.

I've even done this on carbon rims, although I wouldn't recommend it officially. On aluminum rims, all day long.

Yep, this is how you do it.