PDA

View Full Version : Bibshort reccomendations

tjk23
08-21-2016, 10:39 AM
I've been wear Sportful bibs for a while now and they have been pretty good for rides up to 3 hours or so. After that nothing but pain. they seem to bunch up and cause chaffing. Looking for something for up to 5+ hour rides. Any suggestions, price range around $200.

superbowlpats
08-21-2016, 11:00 AM
I've had good luck with Assos
https://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/shorts/t-fi-mille-s5-regularleg-black/

Desoto (made in USA)
https://www.desotosport.com/collections/ciclismo/products/400-mile-bib-short-with-integrated-14mm-ceramico

and Sugoi
http://us-store.sugoi.com/collections/mens-bike/products/39386u-rs-pro-bib-short

echappist
08-21-2016, 11:26 AM
i like Craft Tour bib shorts; 60 euros shipped from italy. They run a bit on the small side, but nothing as ridiculously small as Sportful shorts

not sure which Sportful bibs you have, but the Sportful Giro shorts would otherwise work quite well for me if it were not for the small sizing

regularguy412
08-21-2016, 11:36 AM
Lately I've really liked Gore 3.0 bibs. I bought 3 pairs last year and another 2 pairs this year. (Didn't want the style to change before I could get a couple more). They don't run as small as the Craft. I had Craft in Medium and they were fine in the waist but tight thru the hips/butt.

I've not done any 4-hour+ rides this year, but the Gores are just fine for at least 3 1/2. The pads are EIT closed cell and are not too diaper-ish.

The good news is, they are/were recently on sale at Nash-bra for ~$60.00 shipped each. That's a lil less than you budgeted, but for the money, I'd say they are worth a look. I purchased mine thru Amazon. Not many left now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E90YE6S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mike in AR:beer:

dbnm
08-21-2016, 11:37 AM
I wear Rapha Classic and Lightweight bibshorts and love them both. All day comfort. They are currently on sale for $170

rnhood
08-21-2016, 11:55 AM
I've had good luck with Assos
https://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/shorts/t-fi-mille-s5-regularleg-black/

Desoto (made in USA)
https://www.desotosport.com/collections/ciclismo/products/400-mile-bib-short-with-integrated-14mm-ceramico

and Sugoi
http://us-store.sugoi.com/collections/mens-bike/products/39386u-rs-pro-bib-short

Three of the best, and I own all three. Highly recommended - any of these three.

zennmotion
04-12-2017, 08:52 PM
Thought I'd revive this thread since I was looking for advice on good--and not too expensive-- bib shorts. I'd don't normally shill PSAs for closeouts but I took a chance on some Skins bib shorts through BikeWagon on Ebay last week and I'm really happy with them, especially for 65 bucks. They're compression shorts, which I could care less about but they feel great holding everything in place :banana:` and the thin material (though feels durable at typical wear points) will work well in hot weather. Chamois is thin and wide- works for me, felt good on a couple of 3-4 hr rides over the weekend. Caveat- I've never owned top quality bibs- Assos Rapha etc so maybe I don't know from anything, but these are better than anything in my box now (Hincapie, Voler, Capo, Castelli). Pay attention to the size chart, you likely want a size larger than you usually wear.

rnhood
04-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Pearl Izumi Elite-In-Cool, have just been discontinued and you can get them for about $62 (Competitive Cyclist). They have a new model for the long hauls called, the Elite Escape. CC has them too, but they are expensive at $120. The DeSotos mentioned above are also very good, but also expensive.

ultraman6970
04-12-2017, 10:09 PM
I got a verge?? brand or something like that from a forumite at the last swap meet and the thing just rocks I should have gotten a second one :/.

I got a set of USA team like bib shorts for my kids at ebay, skins brand, the quality of the lycra was awesome, actually are all white and then printed out, even some of the panels are so sharp in color and printing that look like those panels were made of leather, im just impressed, even the stretch bands around the tights are printed sharply, im always in a more than tight budget and this things are just awesome because I paid like 7 bucks for them because were XS.

oliver
04-13-2017, 02:14 AM
Rapha brevet shorts. I got mine during the winter sale for 115 EUR

I would not recommend the core shorts as I had a pair fall apart and Rapha's response was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

oldpotatoe
04-13-2017, 04:59 AM
I've been wear Sportful bibs for a while now and they have been pretty good for rides up to 3 hours or so. After that nothing but pain. they seem to bunch up and cause chaffing. Looking for something for up to 5+ hour rides. Any suggestions, price range around $200.

http://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/classic-bib-shorts-ii/product/BSS02XX

Best bibs I have ever owned..

oliver
04-13-2017, 05:49 AM

The new version specifically?

pjmsj21
04-13-2017, 05:55 AM
Dido....the only shorts that I now buy. I have done a few 150 mile days and my butt feels tired but doesn't hurt.

stephenmarklay
04-13-2017, 06:07 AM
I can’t wait to got to the Rapha Store that just opened in Seattle and look at some stuff and hopefully try it on.

zap
04-13-2017, 06:24 AM
Assos S7 Equipe.

thunderworks
04-13-2017, 07:23 AM
I've been extremely happy with Giordana
Silverline bibs and shorts. Fit my butt well and are quite affordable.

oldpotatoe
04-13-2017, 08:49 AM
The new version specifically?

No, older one but if I needed another pair(don't), I wouldn't hesitate to get these..

JWDR
04-13-2017, 09:04 AM
Assos S7 Equipe.

I just recently bought a pair and personally believe they are nicer than the 2 pairs of Raphas I own.

jruhlen1980
04-13-2017, 09:26 AM
I know the OP wasn't looking for budget options but I've been pleasantly surprised with DHB. Comfort-wise I'd put them up there with my Castelli. I wore them on DK last year.

Only downside is they seem to wear out a bit quick, but I bought a couple more pairs anyway.

Mzilliox
04-13-2017, 09:31 AM
Isadore and Assos i have found superior to all others including rapha classic and lightweights. Assos makes diff density pads for longer and shorter rides. Isadore climbers bibs are my supreme for comfort. i wear them as often as i have them clean. there is nothing in my cycling wardrobe more comfy.

kfreytag
04-13-2017, 10:24 AM
I've ridden bibs from a lot of manufacturers and I've been most happy with the Rapha Classic. For me, they have the right amount of compression and a great chamois. I have a pair of Rapha Pro and a pair of Assos S7, both of which are really well-made shorts but ultimately are too high-compression (and I'm 5'10" / 150 lbs.).

Has anyone tried the stuff from Q36.5 (former head of R&D for Assos)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Johnnyg
04-13-2017, 10:55 AM
plus one for Rapha any model. I like the winter weight for long rides when is't not too hot. Good Luck

alembical
04-13-2017, 11:02 AM
I am almost only using Gore Bike Wear or Castelli. Both work well for me, but my favorite is the Gore Xenon Race bibs. They deserve a look. I have multiple versions of both brands.
http://www.goreapparel.com/gore-bike-wear/men/xenon-race-2-0-bibtights-short/WSXENR.html?cgid=gbw-men-geartype-bibs-shorts&dwvar_WSXENR_color=9900&start=2

Elefantino
04-13-2017, 11:28 AM
PI Pro In-R-Cool is worth a try and in your price range.

simplemind
04-13-2017, 01:44 PM
PI Pro In-R-Cool is worth a try and in your price range.

You know, I liked these also in previous years. However I recently ordered a pair from Backcountry in Med just as before and I couldn't get them on they were so tight. Have you seen this also?

tctyres
04-13-2017, 01:49 PM
Nothing to add, except that the "Assos guy" always cracks me up. They must have a few models they use --- same weird standing prone position with different sunglasses.

https://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1200x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/f/i/fimille_regular_black_4.jpg

ptourkin
04-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Read the many threads on here about Q36.5. I believe all of us who have tried them have quit Assos, as did the founder. I've worn them through a number of 600k etc...
The introductory set is $200 and I haven't upgraded past that one.

booglebug
04-13-2017, 02:42 PM
Read the many threads on here about Q36.5. I believe all of us who have tried them have quit Assos, as did the founder. I've worn them through a number of 600k etc...

I'm in this camp, Q36.5 is the top of the food chain for my butt.

parallelfish
04-13-2017, 04:57 PM
Assos S7 Equipe.

Ditto. Really happy with these.

R3awak3n
04-13-2017, 05:04 PM
Rapha Classics.

Elefantino
04-13-2017, 05:41 PM
You know, I liked these also in previous years. However I recently ordered a pair from Backcountry in Med just as before and I couldn't get them on they were so tight. Have you seen this also?

No, I wear new large, same as the old large. Interesting...

LJohnny
04-13-2017, 07:02 PM
I think 36.5 offers quality products, I specially like their base layers, jerseys, jackets and gloves. The bibs on the other hand are not to the same level, IMO. The Assos Equipe are a better value. With the caveat that every butt is different, yadda, yadda, yadda.
I personally find the S7 chamois vastly superior, with the bridge/suspension. Also I find my privates have more room in the S7. The chamois are made by the same company, but with different specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apeescape
04-13-2017, 07:31 PM
Take another look at Assos. They just updated pricing and have an amazing short at $159, the T.Mille. This short beats out all the other $250 shorts I have owned ( Capo, Castelli, Cuorue ) and Assos has to be the most durable of all the shorts. A buddy went down at 40mph and slide to a stop and had no visible damage to his Campionissmio shorts. Hands down the most durable, longest lasting shorts I've ever owned. My favorite are the Cento. Mostly because I am huge ( 6'3 250+) and they are like angels cradling my gentlemen's veggies.

FULL DISCLOUSE - currently an outside rep for Assos, but worked at shops for almost 15 years before becoming a rep less than a year ago. I pride myself on telling real facts, not just regurgitating marketing speak. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about the clothing.

OtayBW
04-13-2017, 07:56 PM
I think 36.5 offers quality products, I specially like their base layers, jerseys, jackets and gloves. The bibs on the other hand are not to the same level, IMO. The Assos Equipe are a better value....I agree - or at least it seems that way. I would love to try one of the Q36.5s, but I'm stocked up on Assos Equipe at $135/pr. Can't see spending twice that on an unknown commodity.

wasfast
04-14-2017, 06:10 AM
I've generally like the Assos S5/S7's and the Giordana Forma Red's. I also now have 4 different models of DHB and they are an amazing value. The most expensive was $85. Sold through wiggle. Cytech pads, good fabrics and grippers, plenty of panels for fit.

SpeedyChix
04-14-2017, 06:30 AM
Take another look at Assos. FULL DISCLOUSE - currently an outside rep for Assos, but worked at shops for almost 15 years before becoming a rep less than a year ago. I pride myself on telling real facts, not just regurgitating marketing speak. Feel free to ask any questions you may have about the clothing.

If they ever make a women's bib short w/conventional straps I would be keen to try them. A no gal gimmick version: single center front center clasp, drop tail, etc.

Riding in Panache, MAAP and one pair of Qs. Pleased with all of them.

cderalow
04-14-2017, 02:32 PM
Rapha classic.

though i prefer the perforated pad of the lightweights and wish that was available in the classic bibs.

so much more airy on a ride. keeps swamp ass syndrome down.

I do like the low cut of the classics over the lightweights for long rides when nature may call.

beeatnik
04-14-2017, 04:58 PM
so much hyperbole and cognitive dissonance with regard to bib use and preference.

90% of riders will be fine if they do the following:

1. Purchase a pair of bib shorts with a Cytech (chamois) insert
2. Spend over $125 retail
3. Know their preferred inseam
4. Know their preferred style
5. Ride the correct saddle and bike

There are no great shorts on the market. Just great riders. Jiji.

jasonification
04-14-2017, 05:07 PM
so much hyperbole and cognitive dissonance with regard to bib use and preference.

+1

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Mzilliox
04-14-2017, 05:15 PM
Im saying Isadore climbers bibs one more time, because Isadore.:banana:

ptourkin
04-14-2017, 05:59 PM

Way to ruin the internet.

ojingoh
04-14-2017, 06:20 PM

+1 - the Cytech/Elastic Interface chamois is the one to get. Here's a list:
http://www.elasticinterface.com/brands/

jischr
04-14-2017, 07:13 PM
My 10 year old Gore shorts were great till they got...Old. Assos Mille are great right from the start. Rapha classic rubbed me wrong the first 4-5 rides. Still not sure I'll do a century in them. May end up selling them. Like their jerseys though.

apeescape
04-14-2017, 09:58 PM
If they ever make a women's bib short w/conventional straps I would be keen to try them. A no gal gimmick version: single center front center clasp, drop tail, etc.

Riding in Panache, MAAP and one pair of Qs. Pleased with all of them.

There is a big push to bring their womens offerings into the modern era and make it similar to the depth of the mens offerings. Good things to come!

Vientomas
04-15-2017, 12:12 AM
http://www.boure.com/1502.html

Powerfibers
04-15-2017, 04:20 PM
Despite having several TexMarket, Enve, and Verge kits, I keep going back to my Bontrager bib shorts for longer rides. The higher end Race Series ones are quite good in the $150 or less range. Got mine locally and have been really happy with them. Good chamois and good grip on the legs.

Powerfibers
04-15-2017, 04:24 PM
Despite having several TexMarket, Enve, and Verge kits, I keep going back to my Bontrager bib shorts for longer rides. The higher end Race Series ones are quite good in the $150 or less range. Got mine locally and have been really happy with them. Good chamois and good grip on the legs.

Sorry, RXL Series not the Race ones.

Big Dan
04-15-2017, 06:46 PM
On a tight budget, you can try the Pearl Izumi Attack.

weisan
04-15-2017, 06:55 PM
I saw a couple of mentions on the dhb bibs. I haven't tried them personally but they are pretty cheap on Wiggle.

$44
http://www.wiggle.com/dhb-bib-shorts/?lang=us&curr=USD&dest=18&sku=5360719366&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=US_PLA_High+Margin&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7csW6nMVyJj_dc%7cpcrid%7c9636441 4328%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cprd%7c5360719366us

asindc
04-15-2017, 08:42 PM
Louis Garneau.

joosttx
04-15-2017, 08:56 PM

This is not true. When you try to cut through the bs and you create more bs.

Q365 are my favorites. The quality of the bibs a excellent- at least the 3 pair I own.

I own an assos equip bib. They are great but I prefer the Q's. They are probably your best value.

Regarding rapha their old bibs are a noticable step down from Q or Assos in terms of seams and comfort. I have not tried their new bibs but I am hopeful they are making and excelent one now.

This is the truth-Bibs will not make a good ride to a great rider but they will make most riders more comfortable and have a more enjoyable experince on the bike.

srenda
04-15-2017, 09:21 PM
+1 on isadore climbers', thermal bibs are solid too.

jiii
04-16-2017, 04:47 AM
Has anyone have experience with La Passione's Bibs (https://www.lapassione.cc/collections/man-collection/products/summer-bib-shorts-classic-black)? At their price, they look like a good option.

rePhil
04-16-2017, 08:18 AM
It seems like sizing varies widely between brands. I wish there was a spreadsheet of the different Brands, sizes,comparative fit and likes and dislikes
For example: I am 5'6 1/2 and 122lbs
I bought a pair of Assos T.equipe.s7's. Size Small, they fit great other than they are loose in the leg grippers. I ended up taking them to a seamstress who tightened them up. I recently picked up a pair of Hincapie's from eBay that had the same problem

Of the brands I have tried through the past few years the best out of the box fit for me in size small are Pearl Izumi Pro, Rapha, Ale, Boure, Capo and Performance.

simplemind
04-16-2017, 08:29 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned RedWhite The Bib (https://www.redwhite.cc/product-catalogue/?utm_source=RedWhite+%7C+Newsletter&utm_campaign=44b04c0c5b-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_03_24&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9b7a595a9b-44b04c0c5b-222667801&mc_cid=44b04c0c5b&mc_eid=5c83af3fb1). I have no experience, however they do have good reviews.

jlwdm
04-16-2017, 09:07 AM

Not totally true. You still need a bib short that fits you - it does not matter how someone else thinks they fit. I have 8 pair of Assos, 2 pair of Rapha Classic and two pair of Capo that are great for me. Never any issues. I have one pair of Castelli and they feel terrible. But I am sure others will like the Castelli.

I also like all black bib shorts. Q 36.5 has finally gravitated more in this direction. For jerseys Q 36.5 reminds me of Assos. Great materials with mostly unattractive looks.

Jeff

Tony
04-16-2017, 09:22 AM
I like Sugoi, also a great company that stands behind their products.
Louis Garneau and Assos seem to be cut lower, makes it easier to take stand ups.

adrien
04-16-2017, 09:31 AM
Has anyone have experience with La Passione's Bibs (https://www.lapassione.cc/collections/man-collection/products/summer-bib-shorts-classic-black)? At their price, they look like a good option.

They're good, but not great. Also, returns are difficult, and they screen reviews so they won't post anything below 5 stars.

beeatnik
04-16-2017, 01:37 PM
This is not true. When you try to cut through the bs and you create more bs.

This is the truth-Bibs will not make a good ride to a great rider but they will make most riders more comfortable and have a more enjoyable experince on the bike.

Houston don't make me resort to truthful cliche. Most dudes just aren't as sensitive as you. Ask every PRO in Europe.

joosttx
04-16-2017, 02:03 PM
Houston don't make me resort to truthful cliche. Most dudes just aren't as sensitive as you. Ask every PRO in Europe.

The mean streets of LA have taught you logic that rivials trumpian....

Dont make me resort to a venn diagram.

beeatnik
04-16-2017, 02:24 PM
The mean streets of LA have taught you logic that rivials trumpian....

Dont make me resort to a venn diagram.

:beer:

Now allow me to illustrate how I applied my "logic" to the purchase of a pair of Q36.5 bibs (tho I'm a "sponsored" rider I love to buy bike crap).

1. Q36.5 use a mid to high-level cytech pad (which they claim is proprietary).
2. Q36.5 retail for more than $125
3. Q36.5 inseams are industry standard (no wacky tan lines if you're coming form assos, rapha, endo, etc).
4. Q36.5 are fashionably low key (hello Capo!)
5. I ride Ariones which based on Q36.5's feed is the preferred saddle

So, Q36.5 meet all my requirements. And yet they're not my favorite bibs on a couple of my bikes. Although I ride Ariones, I match various versions to bikes based on intended use. So, the super firm, Carbon CX goes on the 1 hour crit bika and the Arione VS goes on the all day, all Instagram bika. Bottom line, and getting technical, the question shouldn't be what's a great bib short? The question should be what's the appropriate bib short for my saddle and style of riding. ;)

Duende
04-16-2017, 03:05 PM
Interesting discussion. Count me as a Q36.5 convert. No more Rapha classics for this guy anymore. Today sealed the deal as I found myself missing my Q36,5 bibs. Even with the extra padding the Raphas werent as comfortable imo

I'm definitely buying another pair. Only downside is that I wish the stitching was a bit more durable. Have a few threads hanging that might be of concern at some point.

joosttx
04-16-2017, 03:11 PM
My point was about the hillarity of putting your claims about Euro Pros and sore asses in a syllogistic frame.

Interesting about the arione as thats my saddle.

:beer:

Now allow me to illustrate how I applied my "logic" to the purchase of a pair of Q36.5 bibs (tho I'm a "sponsored" rider I love to buy bike crap).

1. Q36.5 use a mid to high-level cytech pad (which they claim is proprietary).
2. Q36.5 retail for more than $125
3. Q36.5 inseams are industry standard (no wacky tan lines if you're coming form assos, rapha, endo, etc).
4. Q36.5 are fashionably low key (hello Capo!)
5. I ride Ariones which based on Q36.5's feed is the preferred saddle

So, Q36.5 meet all my requirements. And yet they're not my favorite bibs on a couple of my bikes. Although I ride Ariones, I match various versions to bikes based on intended use. So, the super firm, Carbon CX goes on the 1 hour crit bika and the Arione VS goes on the all day, all Instagram bika. Bottom line, and getting technical, the question shouldn't be what's a great bib short? The question should be what's the appropriate bib short for my saddle and style of riding. ;)

beeatnik
04-16-2017, 04:21 PM
Houston, you're making my head explode.

Interesting conversation overheard on the World Famous Montrose Ride:

Apparel Executive: How do you like the new, redesigned $250 bib shorts
Sponsored Pro Rider: Um, they're ok
Apparel Executive: Well, do you prefer them to the bibs you wore last season?
Sponsored Pro Rider: I really don't think about my bibs. I just do the miles and wear whatever the sponsors give me.
Apparel Executive: But the new, redesigned $250 bib shorts are more comfy?
Sponsored Pro Rider: Um, I don't really think about that stuff too much.

bheight1
04-16-2017, 05:13 PM
La Passione, for the money you can't beat them.

bheight1
04-16-2017, 05:15 PM

They are fantastic!

choke
04-16-2017, 05:29 PM
Not totally true. You still need a bib short that fits you - it does not matter how someone else thinks they fit. I have 8 pair of Assos, 2 pair of Rapha Classic and two pair of Capo that are great for me. Never any issues. I have one pair of Castelli and they feel terrible. But I am sure others will like the Castelli.Bingo. No matter what person A loves, person B may hate and vice versa. I'm one of those who finds (lower end) Castelli very comfortable...enough so that they essentially disappear when I ride.

On the flipside, several years ago I decided to try some Assos bibs after reading all of the huge praise that is bestowed on them. I absolutely hated them - they were without a doubt, the worst piece of cycling clothing that I've ever owned. Obviously I'm in the minority with that opinion but they just didn't work at all for me.

doomridesout
04-16-2017, 10:33 PM
There is no answer to this. I'm getting into season FIVE wearing the same several pairs of Rapha Classics with much success (Not see through, no thin spots or loose seams, still comfy). I bought a pair of Assos S7 Equipes a year or so ago and although I like them, they don't "just work" like the Raphas do for me.
I've heard many riders of the fancy stuff bagging on the Rapha bibs as technically worse than other bibs... whatever works for ya, dudes.

booglebug
04-16-2017, 11:52 PM
There is no answer to this. I'm getting into season FIVE wearing the same several pairs of Rapha Classics with much success (Not see through, no thin spots or loose seams, still comfy). I bought a pair of Assos S7 Equipes a year or so ago and although I like them, they don't "just work" like the Raphas do for me.
I've heard many riders of the fancy stuff bagging on the Rapha bibs as technically worse than other bibs... whatever works for ya, dudes.

Agree with this! Most any good quality bibs works for 25-35 miles, when you get up in the 60-80 mile range you find what works for you. The Q36 fit the bill for me but also know that other nice bibs may be the ticket for someone else. Wish I had found them earlier, went through many other brands and $$$ to find what works.

pdmtong
04-17-2017, 01:22 AM
A singular truth: we spend gobs of moo-lah to find what works.

And, when we do, we spend gobs more moo-lah on said 'discovery".

why else do I mini-hoarde arione cx?

know what makes me wonder? anyone with bling-tastic bike and cheap-a $$ kit and sidin genius.

really? there is a difference.

kitsnob
04-19-2017, 12:43 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... THIS Snob loves me some Q36.5. No matter if it's the Miles or the L1 Salopette.
I'm a HUGE Q36.5 fan boy
Then again, can't say enough good things about my Assos S7 Equipe's either.
Yes, I'm also an Assos fan boy!
Rapha had been nothing but overpriced, Chinese JUNK IMO that wore out in less than 1 season ... Shame on you Simon for selling re-branded Chinese poo-poo!

beeatnik
04-19-2017, 12:51 AM
Snobs are so weird.

beeatnik
04-19-2017, 12:55 AM
Interestingly enough, D, there was a kid at the World Famous Rose Bowl tonight, towing the fast group. Man in Black. Turns out he's a Team Illuminate member and NCAA champ. Kid looked fantastic in his Q36.5 jersey and bibs (lightweight L1, I believe). Anyhoo, I realized that much as a well loved local brand, some of these high end kits only look good on the young and fit.

It's ok.

simplemind
04-19-2017, 07:39 AM
Anyhoo, I realized that much as a well loved local brand, some of these high end kits only look good on the young and fit.

It's ok.

lol, so true! :banana:

Vamoots58
04-19-2017, 12:20 PM
but have been interested in trying the Q36.5's. Ride the S5 Mille bibs , and loved them. Bought a pair of S7 T.Cento's and one of the S7 Campionissimo. Both are great, but think I'll give the Dottore's a try this spring.

sandyrs
04-19-2017, 01:52 PM
Anyhoo, I realized that much as a well loved local brand, some of these high end kits only look good on the young and fit.

It's ok.

I would take the word young out of that assertion (there are plenty of fit older guys who can pull off **** I can't because they're fit) but otherwise I agree with the general point- that you can't assess a kit's quality in isolation, but rather can only derive it from your intended usage and individual proportions, aesthetic preferences, etc.

Matthew
04-19-2017, 02:35 PM
I have been pretty happy with my Voler bibs. Made in the USA too. Especially love the pair made for Moots. Think it was the last race kit version that were on sale a while back. Excellent chamois, slightly longer legs, and good fit.

choke
04-19-2017, 03:42 PM
know what makes me wonder? anyone with bling-tastic bike and cheap-a $$ kit and sidin genius.

really? there is a difference.I have to ask....why do you wonder? Perhaps that person is happy with what they're using, or perhaps they've tried others and those expensive ones didn't work for them. Like I said above, I tried Assos bibs once and hated them....they were worse than any other bibs I've ever used. If my inexpensive Castelli's don't give me a problem and are comfortable for hours in the saddle, what do I gain by spending more money?

abr5
04-19-2017, 04:06 PM
I have been pretty happy with my Voler bibs. Made in the USA too. Especially love the pair made for Moots. Think it was the last race kit version that were on sale a while back. Excellent chamois, slightly longer legs, and good fit.

I love chamois, materials, and general fit of the Black Label Voler bibs, but I actually found the leg length too short for my liking. For reference, I am 6' 2" wearing mediums (and according to one fitter I have long femurs... I've never been one to compare femur length with others so YMMV)

Matthew
04-19-2017, 06:07 PM
I'm 5'8" on a good day and I wear large. I have some older Voler's that are not quite as long as the Moots model. And the chamois is not as nice either but still comfortable. The newer ones are similar to the Castelli bibs I have.

bshell
04-19-2017, 08:52 PM
In case any of y'all want to try them I just bumped my ad in the classifieds...

ps. FYI if you are thinking about Dottore's you should be aware that they are 2-3 inches longer in the leg than the L1 Essential bib.

simplemind
04-24-2017, 10:28 AM
General question: Given that Assos generally sizes according to height, I don't seem to fit this profile. A medium fit great in the legs, but the straps are just too short. The large fits fine in the straps but the thighs are loose.

If I like the Assos short what would you recommend to get the fit right? I'm 5'-11", 170#.

simplemind
04-26-2017, 02:30 PM
General question: Given that Assos generally sizes according to height, I don't seem to fit this profile. A medium fit great in the legs, but the straps are just too short. The large fits fine in the straps but the thighs are loose.

If I like the Assos short what would you recommend to get the fit right? I'm 5'-11", 170#.

Anyone? :help:

Tony
04-26-2017, 02:38 PM
Anyone? :help:

If your stuck on wanting Assos shorts than get the med. and lengthen the straps by adding more material? Do it yourself or hire someone.

mbrtool
04-26-2017, 02:41 PM
I'm 5'10", 175lbs., 34 waist and XL fits me in Assos F1 S5 and the T.campionissimo S7. I'd look at the Assos sight and see if different styles of their bibs are cut differently. Hope this helps.

Ray

rePhil
04-26-2017, 02:45 PM
Another vote for altering them if you like the fit. Even buying from Wiggle they were expensive enough that the loose leg grippers annoyed me. Rather than return them I had a local seamstress alter them. Other than the loose legs I like them.

If your stuck on wanting Assos shorts than get the med. and lengthen the straps by adding more material? Do it yourself or hire someone.

ltwtsculler91
04-26-2017, 02:58 PM

Assos will lengthen the straps if you send the bib back to them. They swap the larger size strap onto the smaller bibs. Shoot their customer service an email.

The other question is, are they tight when standing or when on the bike? The shorts are cut so they will pull when standing, but "click" into place on the bike.

I'm 5'10, 150-160lbs (depends on season) and am a solid medium in all but the Cento's where I fit a small best

MagicHour
04-26-2017, 02:58 PM
5'11"/158lbs - I went Large based on height for my 2016 T.equipe S7 Bibs. Yep- straps and length are perfect, j-u-s-t squeak by with the leg openings. When I first put them on they are not perfectly tight to my legs, but things improve once I'm on the bike and afterwards; so bibs are either settling in and/or my muscles swell up a bit from riding.

MagicHour
04-26-2017, 03:02 PM
Good to know - do you have to order direct for them to do this, or would they do it from a previous purchase from elsewhere?

Assos will lengthen the straps if you send the bib back to them. They swap the larger size strap onto the smaller bibs. Shoot their customer service an email.

The other question is, are they tight when standing or when on the bike? The shorts are cut so they will pull when standing, but "click" into place on the bike.

I'm 5'10, 150-160lbs (depends on season) and am a solid medium in all but the Cento's where I fit a small best

bshell
04-26-2017, 03:13 PM
Simplemind:

Are you asking about Q36.5?. Large, (maybe?). They have a lot of compression, which I like.

Everyone's idea about leg length/strap length comfort etc. is subjective. Probably depends a lot on where you carry your weight, too.

You and I are w/in 10 pounds of each other. Stretched out on a 5'11" or 6' frame that's as good as identical --unless one of has track sprinter legs or a superhero upper body on pipe cleaners.

I can wear either Large or Medium in Assos in a riding position. Only difference for me is where the hem lands on quads.

ltwtsculler91
04-26-2017, 03:57 PM
Good to know - do you have to order direct for them to do this, or would they do it from a previous purchase from elsewhere?

As long as it came from an Assos dealer and you have the original tag and/or proof of purchase they'll honor it.

simplemind
04-26-2017, 04:07 PM

Certainly is an option, however I'm not "stuck" on Assos, but looking for an Assos type quality with a different "fit" profile, ie either smaller quads in a large or longer straps in a medium.

Simplemind:

Are you asking about Q36.5?. Large, (maybe?). They have a lot of compression, which I like.

Everyone's idea about leg length/strap length comfort etc. is subjective. Probably depends a lot on where you carry your weight, too.

You and I are w/in 10 pounds of each other. Stretched out on a 5'11" or 6' frame that's as good as identical --unless one of has track sprinter legs or a superhero upper body on pipe cleaners.

I can wear either Large or Medium in Assos in a riding position. Only difference for me is where the hem lands on quads.

Wasn't looking for a specific brand, just with the above mentioned fit requirements. Do the Q36.5 fit the same across their product line? I'd be looking for a lighter weight (cooler) bib.

bshell
04-26-2017, 04:37 PM
I don't know a lot about their line, sorry. Good luck in the search.

MagicHour
04-26-2017, 05:23 PM
Cool thanks. Own a pair of Lg which are very slightly loose on the bottom grippers, but are otherwise very comfy and fit me everywhere else pretty well; I'm likely right on the edge between sizes and could go up or down depending...#chickenlegs :o
Good to know about altering may try this with a pair Meds in future.
As long as it came from an Assos dealer and you have the original tag and/or proof of purchase they'll honor it.

oliver
04-28-2017, 01:07 PM
Assos Fi.Mille_s5 bibs are on sale here for $138:
https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=T%20Fi.Mille_s5%20Bib%20Shorts&vendorCode=ASSOS&major=4&minor=16#

kitsnob
04-29-2017, 07:14 PM
Certainly is an option, however I'm not "stuck" on Assos, but looking for an Assos type quality with a different "fit" profile, ie either smaller quads in a large or longer straps in a medium.

Wasn't looking for a specific brand, just with the above mentioned fit requirements. Do the Q36.5 fit the same across their product line? I'd be looking for a lighter weight (cooler) bib.

I find the Q 36.5 range fits differently..along their line of bibs.
For me, I had to upsize from M (in Assos) to Large in Q. I have both the Miles - a traditional bib short - think Equipe S7 or Rapha Classic (yuk) and the Salopette L1 - think Cento S7 or Rapha Pro Team (yuk). The Dottore are a little longer in the leg but cut much like the Salopette L1. Don't knoiw much about the Vented and the Wolf hybrid is like the Assos Tibiru (little heavier and fleece lined) - build off the "Miles" platform.

If you like traditional bibs go Miles, if you like more compression go Salopette L1. You wont be disappointed in either. In any case don't forget to add the pinstripe jersey!

simplemind
04-29-2017, 08:12 PM
I find the Q 36.5 range fits differently..along their line of bibs.
For me, I had to upsize from M (in Assos) to Large in Q. I have both the Miles - a traditional bib short - think Equipe S7 or Rapha Classic (yuk) and the Salopette L1 - think Cento S7 or Rapha Pro Team (yuk). The Dottore are a little longer in the leg but cut much like the Salopette L1. Don't knoiw much about the Vented and the Wolf hybrid is like the Assos Tibiru (little heavier and fleece lined) - build off the "Miles" platform.

If you like traditional bibs go Miles, if you like more compression go Salopette L1. You wont be disappointed in either. In any case don't forget to add the pinstripe jersey!

Great, thanks for the fit guide! I gather you're not a Rapha fan boy! :D

adrien
04-30-2017, 07:53 AM
Quick vote for Morvelo. Great fit, good quality at its price point.

Macadamia
04-30-2017, 10:10 AM
At risk of making the most paceline post ever, I'd like to note that the copper rivets on my leather saddle left marks on my assos bibs. There are wear marks or bleach marks both um, fore and aft...

spinarelli
04-30-2017, 11:28 AM
How are these holding up? How is the chamois after a few more rides? These shorts size M are even cheaper now, down to $43.

Thought I'd revive this thread since I was looking for advice on good--and not too expensive-- bib shorts. I'd don't normally shill PSAs for closeouts but I took a chance on some Skins bib shorts through BikeWagon on Ebay last week and I'm really happy with them, especially for 65 bucks. They're compression shorts, which I could care less about but they feel great holding everything in place :banana:` and the thin material (though feels durable at typical wear points) will work well in hot weather. Chamois is thin and wide- works for me, felt good on a couple of 3-4 hr rides over the weekend. Caveat- I've never owned top quality bibs- Assos Rapha etc so maybe I don't know from anything, but these are better than anything in my box now (Hincapie, Voler, Capo, Castelli). Pay attention to the size chart, you likely want a size larger than you usually wear.

AngryScientist
04-30-2017, 11:44 AM
How are these holding up? How is the chamois after a few more rides? These shorts size M are even cheaper now, down to $43.

i just ordered a pair of mediums, worth a try i guess. i can wear almost any bibs for sub 3 hour rides, so i'm optimistic that these will be a good choice for shorter rides. on the cheap.