PDA

View Full Version : 1x10 Deore XT RD Issue

estilley
08-20-2016, 11:09 PM
Having some issues setting up my 1x10 system.

I'm running a Deore XT RD with an 10-speed 11-32 cassette. It looks like it is a 9-speed derailleur though.

I've adjusted a bunch of rear mechs in the past and have never had issues like this.

I have to crank up the cable tension to get it to shift up the cassette, but then have to release it a bunch to let it back down.

Anyone set one of these up in the past?

I'm going to take it into my LBS monday if I can't figure this out, as it's my only day off, but I would rather spend it riding of course!

Louis
08-20-2016, 11:29 PM
Edit - never mind, it looks like the original post has been supplemented with more information.

Louis
08-20-2016, 11:45 PM
I have to crank up the cable tension to get it to shift up the cassette, but then have to release it a bunch to let it back down.

In the past when I've had this sort of issue it's been due to too much friction in the cable run. Have you checked that?

estilley
08-20-2016, 11:49 PM
In the past when I've had this sort of issue it's been due to too much friction in the cable run. Have you checked that?

Thinking that could definitely be the issue.

The BB cable guide is kind of hanging off (cannondale snap-on kind). Put a piece of bar tape in there to make it a little more snug but the angle isn't ideal. I think some 3M double sided tape would do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gpendergast
08-21-2016, 12:24 AM
Shimano 10 speed MTB uses DynaSys, which is a fancy word for wont-play-nice-with-9-speed. Different cable pull and derailleur travel

eddief
08-21-2016, 12:37 AM
let us know.

weisan
08-21-2016, 04:18 AM
Is it the long cage version like this? if yes, you shouldn't have any problem.
Check the limit screws, make sure they are not tighten all the way.

https://static.evanscycles.com/production/components/derailleurs--mechs/product-image/969-638/shimano-xt-m760-rear-derailleur-long-cage-00120106-9999-1.jpg

oldpotatoe
08-21-2016, 05:47 AM
Having some issues setting up my 1x10 system.

I'm running a Deore XT RD with an 10-speed 11-32 cassette. It looks like it is a 9-speed derailleur though.

I've adjusted a bunch of rear mechs in the past and have never had issues like this.

Anyone set one of these up in the past?

I'm going to take it into my LBS monday if I can't figure this out, as it's my only day off, but I would rather spend it riding of course!

Look under the back, der body for part number then compare here to see if it's 9s or 10s..9s MTB rear ders will not 'talk' to 10s MTB shifters.

http://si.shimano.com/

estilley
08-21-2016, 08:28 AM
It's the RD M772, which is 9 speed. I'm running it with 5700 shifters, 10 speed, with a 42t n/w chainring up front. Worked great on a fellow paceliner's ride so I'm thinking there has to be some way to dial it in.

MikeD
08-21-2016, 11:48 AM
It's the RD M772, which is 9 speed. I'm running it with 5700 shifters, 10 speed, with a 42t n/w chainring up front. Worked great on a fellow paceliner's ride so I'm thinking there has to be some way to dial it in.

Should work. 9s mountain rear derailleur works with 10s road shifters. Cables, routing, or BB cable guide are likely problems.

estilley
08-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Should work. 9s mountain rear derailleur works with 10s road shifters. Cables, routing, or BB cable guide are likely problems.

My thoughts exactly. Going to fix that BB guide and take it into LBS tomorrow for some fine tuning/advice on swapping cassettes/wheels etc as this will be my main cx rig.