PDA

View Full Version : Portland, OR recommendations

bironi
07-10-2006, 01:46 PM
For those of you familiar with the town,

I am driving down the weekend of the Seattle to Portland bike ride, while many of my friends ride 200 miles on Saturday. I am taking a bike to cruise around town visiting bike shops and sightseeing. I have emailed Sacha White to see if a weekend visit is convenient. Can you make some other suggestions?

Thanks much,
Byron

55/Rad
07-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Ok, I'll be the first to ask - can you bring my gear down with you?

;)

STP is pretty much IT for that weekend. The party at the finish line, though not as rowdy, is fun on Saturday when the 1 day riders come in.

Now, if you are looking for shops to visit or a scenic route or 2 - let us know.

55/Rad

pdxmech13
07-10-2006, 02:20 PM
at stumptown on 4th ave DT.

gasman
07-10-2006, 02:30 PM
The best Portland riding is in and around Eugene. :D

bcm119
07-10-2006, 02:35 PM
in and around Eugene. :D
If by that you mean Corvallis, I completely agree. ;)

When I'm in Portland, I never get to any bike shops because I start with the brew pubs. :rolleyes:

bironi
07-10-2006, 02:38 PM
If by that you mean Corvallis, I completely agree. ;)

When I'm in Portland, I never get to any bike shops because I start with the brew pubs. :rolleyes:

Well, let's hear a couple brew pub recommendations. I am celebrating with the guys after their 200 miles. :beer:

bcm119
07-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Well, let's hear a couple brew pub recommendations. I am celebrating with the guys after their 200 miles. :beer:

My favorites -- and keep in mind I put beer quality far above food, atmosphere, etc.
In NW: Laurelwood Public House, 2327 NW Kearney; great beer, esp. if you like hops.

In NE: Concordia Ale House, 3276 NE Killingsworth; not a brew pub but a top quality beer bar.

In SE: Lucky Lab, 915 SE hawthorne. Big, open, very laid back, decent beer.

bironi
07-10-2006, 02:53 PM
I will try to make one of those spots.

William
07-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Is the Widmere Brew Haas still at the foot of the Fremont???

Rock Creek Tavern? Hey, if your riding you still have to climb back out of that area to get back into Portland. let it settle. Let-it-settle. My buddy John lives at the top of that climb out. He doesn't mind if you rest in his yard...just don't Churf on his lawn or you'll be facing the double ought....oh wait, different thread. ;) ;) ;)

If by that you mean Corvallis, I completely agree.

Sorry gasman, I have to pull with bcm on that one. ;)

William

Jiwa Jiwa
07-10-2006, 03:27 PM
add Bridgeport to the list... though its been totally glammed out and is now very, uh, Pearl District-y, but a lot of visitors find it really easy to get drunk there: http://www.bridgeportbrew.com/ourpubs/index.php

also, since you didn't ask, spend the nite with your buds if you can and hit Jimmy Maks for jazz... it is a (new) national institution, even if you're not all that into jazz. They just remodeled and moved and have to say that it might just be even better than before. http://www.jimmymaks.com/

lucky lab is a favorite too... and they also opened a new space in NW portland.

oh, and I have cold bud in the fridge too. ;)

xoxo, andy

SoCalSteve
07-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Is the Widmere Brew Haas still at the foot of the Fremont???
Rock Creek Tavern? Hey, if your riding you still have to climb back out of that area to get back into Portland. let it settle. Let-it-settle. My buddy John lives at the top of that climb out. He doesn't mind if you rest in his yard...just don't Churf on his lawn or you'll be facing the double ought....oh wait, different thread. ;) ;) ;)

Sorry gasman, I have to pull with bcm on that one. ;)

William

I worked on a movie in Portland in 1999. I remember having a great meal/drink at the Widmere Brew Haas as well. Heavy German food, if memory serves me well. Very delicious!

It's in a very industrial (out of the way) part of Portland.

Enjoy!

Steve

PS: The Hefeweisan (sp) is the best! (with a wedge of lemon, of course).

iml
07-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Stumptown at 34th and Belmont is the place for coffee. It also serves as Sacha's "second office." If you see him on his old 1x1, ask him why he isn't riding his fancy bike.

Stumpy downtown is better for a Chimay or Franziskaner, though...

By the way, as a Portland native I am loathe to admit it, but wonderful though our local brew houses are, the local "hefe" micros are sad and lame compared to a real Bavarian weissbier.

Ozz
07-10-2006, 06:23 PM
When I am in Portland for work, we usually end up the "VQ" (Veritable Quandry) or "Kells".

If you want some fine dining, try "Paley's Place". It might be fancier than you are looking for, but you will pass a bunch of interesting looking places on the way there. The neighborhood has a name, but it escapes me...maybe a local can chime in.

Have fun.

Kristopher Gree
07-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Hey, Byron:

My favorite shop in PDX is Veloshop <http://www.veloshop.org/shop.php>, at 211 Sw 9th Ave. It's nearish to Stumptown Coffee, which I'll second.

O' course, Bike Gallery has some interesting iron, and wood fenders, too.

There's daily TdF coverage at St. Honoré Boulangerie <http://www.portlandfoodanddrink.com/?page_id=568> and at Lucky Lab Brewing Company, in a month-long event sponsored by Chris King. <http://www.luckylab.com/html/events.html>. Hmmm, beer or bread...which will my friend Byron want to quaffe while watching the tour?

I wish I were doing Oly to Portland, but Linda is "attending a conference" in Las Vegas that weekend. Hey, maybe I could send the kids with her?

Yer pal,

Kris H-G

bcm119
07-10-2006, 06:53 PM
By the way, as a Portland native I am loathe to admit it, but wonderful though our local brew houses are, the local "hefe" micros are sad and lame compared to a real Bavarian weissbier.

Agreed-issimo.*

*used without permission from atmo, on the assumption he won't read this left coast thread.

nobrakes
07-10-2006, 10:52 PM
We watch the Tour @ Lucky Lab Pub on big screen, NW Quimby and 16th. Good Vibes, good brews, and you can park yer ride inside. Visit Fat Tire Farm on nearby Thurman for cool Mt. bikes, some road and cross stuff. Welcome to stumptown.

bironi
07-11-2006, 12:45 AM
We watch the Tour @ Lucky Lab Pub on big screen, NW Quimby and 16th. Good Vibes, good brews, and you can park yer ride inside. Visit Fat Tire Farm on nearby Thurman for cool Mt. bikes, some road and cross stuff. Welcome to stumptown.

May I assume it is non-smoking?

Thanks again

shinomaster
07-11-2006, 01:24 PM
If you want to drink lots of great beer from Oregon and all over the world go to the smokey, English pub called the Horse Brass. Its close to Vanilla Bicycles (and my house), and better than most crummy, expensive, over-rated brew pubs. You have to be OK with lots of cigarete smoke though...INMHO.

bcm119
07-11-2006, 01:42 PM
If you want to drink lots of great beer from Oregon and all over the world go to the smokey, English pub called the Horse Brass. Its close to Vanilla Bicycles (and my house), and better than most crummy, expensive, over-rated brew pubs. You have to be OK with lots of cigarete smoke though...INMHO.

yup, that would be the best place in PDX hands down IF they made it no smoking... but as it is it makes my eyes tear in 15 minutes. Great beer selection though... I was there for their cask festival and had some Blue Dot ipa from the hand pump... spectacular.

I agree most b-pubs are overrated but the Laurelwood isn't.... and Concordia is pretty yuppie but the beer selection is great and no smoke.

bironi
07-11-2006, 01:45 PM

Shino,

My local brew pub recommended the same, but me and my buddies can't take the smoke. I will probably check it out myself when I stop by Vanilla. Maybe I can sit outside?

Thanks! :beer:

72gmc
07-11-2006, 03:35 PM
in addition to visiting sacha, have any of you portlanders visited strawberry cycles? interesting lugged creations and according to the website there's a brewpub named goose hollow within stumbling distance.

bironi
07-11-2006, 03:53 PM
in addition to visiting sacha, have any of you portlanders visited strawberry cycles? interesting lugged creations and according to the website there's a brewpub named goose hollow within stumbling distance.

Just had the same recommendation from a friend with houses in Corvallis and Portland. May check it out.

Thanks.

coylifut
07-11-2006, 09:39 PM
if you want good Italian in a festive atmosphere, go to Piaza Italia. It's in the Pearl. The family that owns it is from Rome. The waiters will go on an on about how beautiful your wife is and cop a feel every chance they get. There's a good pizza joint called American Drean on 47th and Glisan. One of those places that's been there for ever and people who've moved out of the neighborhood will drive for miles for a good pie. For mexican, there's a "local" chain with 3 locations called Cha-Cha-Cha. Darn good food with great prices. You order at the counter and find seating. Really clean, almost trendy looking, but with Mexico City street vendor taste. For middle eastern food go to Nicholas's restaurant. It looks like a real hole in the wall.

Oh, and it's definately worth your time to go to the Horse's Brass. All the places above are a short pedal from the city center. if you're looking for something specific, let me know. I'm a local through and through.

William
07-11-2006, 09:43 PM
There's a good pizza joint called American Drean on 47th and Glisan. One of those places that's been there for ever and people who've moved out of the neighborhood will drive for miles for a good pie.

Got that right. My mouth is watering just thinking about AD. :crap:

William

shinomaster
07-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Got that right. My mouth is watering just thinking about AD. :crap:

William

No, no, no no no no no, no no,no no...........no way Jose. Escape from N.Y., or Hotlips.

coylifut
07-12-2006, 01:19 AM
two other Italian places to mention. Both of these are in the same style. Big portions, Chianti bottles hanging from the ceiling - the stereo typical American-Italian experience. Good food, but not too expensive. The 1st one is Sylvia's on 57th and Sandy. The second is Caramico's on Barber blvd (on the souless West Side). Both of them are about equal distance from the city center. There's gotta be 453 tai places, but the only one to eat at is the Bancock Kitchen on about 11th and Belmont. Total hole in the wall, dated decor all the right signals to tell you it's good and it is.

One other great Portland experience is to get a Spanish Coffee at Hubers.

There's lots of trendy new stuff as well, but I can't be bothered with such nonsense

William
07-12-2006, 05:56 AM
Sorry Shino, AD floats my boat. Though to be honest, I have never tried the other two. Pizzacato had some tasty offerings as well.

I'm not sure if it's still there, but if you like Thai, there is (at least at the time that I moved) a small hole-in-the-wall Thai restaurant in Beaverton. Behind the little Thai market between Broadway St. and SW Canyon...(in the same little plaza where Starks is located) near Cedar Hills Blvd. I used to rent taped live Muay Thai fight videos for a dollar a week. They received new tapes weekly from Thailand. Great folks. Anyway, just before I moved East they opened a little restaurant behind the market....man oh man it was good. Cheap too.

MAN!!! I have to get back for a visit. :crap:

William

jeh
07-12-2006, 07:08 AM
I was visiting Portland a few weeks ago, stayed at a place called "hotel deLuxe." I can give it my reccomendation, nice fun place to stay.

I had some bites to eat and some decent wine at a place in the pearl district called "vino paradiso" also. They have some outdoor seating, and Tim the proprietor seemed like a really nice fellow. Might be a nice place to sit out and relax, if that's how you roll.

-j

bcm119
07-12-2006, 10:03 AM
two other Italian places to mention. Both of these are in the same style. Big portions, Chianti bottles hanging from the ceiling - the stereo typical American-Italian experience. Good food, but not too expensive. The 1st one is Sylvia's on 57th and Sandy. The second is Caramico's on Barber blvd (on the souless West Side). Both of them are about equal distance from the city center. There's gotta be 453 tai places, but the only one to eat at is the Bancock Kitchen on about 11th and Belmont. Total hole in the wall, dated decor all the right signals to tell you it's good and it is.

One other great Portland experience is to get a Spanish Coffee at Hubers.

There's lots of trendy new stuff as well, but I can't be bothered with such nonsense
Coy, you're such the local boy. Got any Indian suggestions?

coylifut
07-12-2006, 11:16 AM
it's hard to get bad Indian food in this town. However, it's very easy to get bad Tai food.

Umm, Indian food. There's a place called Swagat with 3 locations. The most central is 21st and Lovejoy. India House is good as well. It's right downtown on the max line (SW Morrison and 10th). The most high-brow establishment is Plainfield's Mayur on SW 21st very near PGE park.

I'd likely try Swagat first followed by India House (especially if I was walking around downtown, very easy to get to).

Separately, for Japanese and specifically Sushi, the place to go is Saburo's Sushi House. The portions are excellent and quality un matched. It's in West Morelan on Bybee. I gotta warn you though, people start lining up an hour before the place opens. If you got time to burn it's clearly worth it.

Jiwa Jiwa
07-12-2006, 01:14 PM
"hotel deLuxe."
-j

Funny, that place was nowhere on my radar until last week when I met a friend at the bar there, the "Driftwood Room" or something like that? Coolest little spot I'd been to a long time. But I was there early and by 11pm it started getting really crowded with the beautiful people and it was time to go... but damn it had a good vibe to it.

shinomaster
07-12-2006, 01:15 PM
I just had Ken's Artisan wood fired pizza last night. Very crispy blistered crust. It's a new pizza joint right near my house and Vanilla etc. atmo.

bcm119
07-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Umm, Indian food. There's a place called Swagat with 3 locations. The most central is 21st and Lovejoy. India House is good as well. It's right downtown on the max line (SW Morrison and 10th). The most high-brow establishment is Plainfield's Mayur on SW 21st very near PGE park.

I've been to Plainfield's, out of curiousity because I've never seen such an expensive Indian restaurant, even in NYC. It was good, but when I think Indian, I think cheap. I've tried Bombay cricket club too, decent but annoyingly trendy. I'll try one of the Swagats. Thnx.

shinomaster
07-12-2006, 01:32 PM
If you really want to eat well go to Higgens, Blue Hour, Castagne, and or Escape From New York.

William
07-12-2006, 01:45 PM
"lots of trendy new stuff"
"annoyingly trendy"
"crowded with the beautiful people"

Portland has almost always been kinda Hipster-doofus-ville. I mean that in a good way though. ;)

William

jeh
07-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Funny, that place was nowhere on my radar until last week when I met a friend at the bar there, the "Driftwood Room" or something like that? Coolest little spot I'd been to a long time. But I was there early and by 11pm it started getting really crowded with the beautiful people and it was time to go... but damn it had a good vibe to it.

Yeah, I went down there one night. It was pretty cool, kind of quiet while I was there (but the blues festival thing was going on) it was a little too romantic to be hanging out with my buddy, but the waitress was tres hottt. :)

in the hotel room along with the typical room service menu, there was a religious reading material menu where one could order the bible, or the koran, or some l. ron hubbard business. there was also an ipod menu where you could order an ipod to borrow during your stay with jazz, or rock, or even the hipp hops if you'd like. kind of crazy! the room also had a big screen HD tv.. was perfect after a long night of the blue ribbon.

-j

bironi
07-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Does someone have some recommendations on the best cycle shops in Portland. I am visiting Vanilla Cycles. I looked at Strawberry Cycles website, but it did not tickle my fancy.

Thanks,
Byron

shinomaster
07-13-2006, 12:28 PM
River City is the pro shop with the most eye candy. They build up Serottas with campy record rather than a Shimano triple. Lakeside has some beautiful bikes, like Pinarello and Pegoretti. The Bike Gallery has lots of Treks and a few Orbea, and Serotta bikes.

Jiwa Jiwa
07-13-2006, 04:26 PM
http://www.veloshop.org/welcome.php

shinomaster
07-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Veloshop is great if you want a messenger bag, or pink Velocity rims, or a few track parts.

Jiwa Jiwa
07-14-2006, 10:20 AM
so what? what if byron or his buds were into that? i threw it into the mix cause i think it is a good shop--dif't than the big ones--and i admire what molly's been able to do with the biz and for the racing scene. why piss on any of the cool stuff pdx has to offer? have another beer.

shinomaster
07-14-2006, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure if I pissed on Veloshop or Molly. I actually go there fairly regularly. It is a great alternative shop for messengers, people looking for used frames and parts, and track stuff. Pink stuff is a theme of the shop. How is this an insult?