PDA

View Full Version : SRAM ETap does play well with Shimano

SoCalSteve
08-20-2016, 04:49 PM
Crank, chain, brakes, cassette are all Dura Ace 9000. Works as well as the Kirk with all Red 22.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2030024&postcount=1

I cannot imagine it wouldn't work the same with Ultegra or 105 11 speed.

Enjoy!

ultraman6970
08-20-2016, 06:39 PM
Do you think it will work with campagnolo 11 wheels?

Cicli
08-20-2016, 06:40 PM

Very likely.

SoCalSteve
08-20-2016, 06:44 PM

Not a Campy person at all. That would be a question for Old Spud...but, expect lots o negativity from him regarding anything SRAM.

sandyrs
08-20-2016, 06:50 PM
Not a Campy person at all. That would be a question for Old Spud...but, expect lots o negativity from him regarding anything SRAM.

It'll work fine. The spacing is virtually identical though ever so slightly different.

thirdgenbird
08-20-2016, 06:52 PM
I heard one report that e-tap shifted better with a campag cassette than it does with SRAM or shimano.

I wonder how out of place this would look:
E-tap mini group
Record crankset
Bora 35 wheelset
6800 cassette (or chorus)
Kmc chain
Ee brakes

FlashUNC
08-20-2016, 06:55 PM

Above Category has had some good success using it with 11 speed Campy wheels.

So yeah, I suspect no issues.

ultraman6970
08-20-2016, 08:53 PM
Actually, I was thinking in a set up like this, the bad thing is that i do not have any of the parts nor the money hehe

I heard one report that e-tap shifted better with a campag cassette than it does with SRAM or shimano.

I wonder how out of place this would look:
E-tap mini group
Record crankset
Bora 35 wheelset
6800 cassette (or chorus)
Kmc chain
Ee brakes

inSHimanoITrust
08-20-2016, 09:23 PM
Everything works well with Shimano. You just have to understand the Tao of How.

54ny77
08-20-2016, 09:29 PM
out of curiosity, why the shimano parts for the rest of the stuff? were they sittin' around awaiting use? sram cranks and brakes work very well, at least from my experience. shimano looks nicer though. :cool:

SoCalSteve
08-20-2016, 10:36 PM
out of curiosity, why the shimano parts for the rest of the stuff? were they sittin' around awaiting use? sram cranks and brakes work very well, at least from my experience. shimano looks nicer though. :cool:

I preferred the looks of the 9000 crankset and was able to find a set on eBay for much less than the SRAM Red version. As for the brakes, the Shimano version is superior in every way over the SRAM Red brakes. I'm surprised SRAM didn't updated them when they updated the cranks.

I do prefer Shimano over SRAM, but ETap blows every other shifting system away.

beeatnik
08-21-2016, 12:02 AM
Steve, are you on SRAMz payroll?

I keed. I keed.

:cool:

oldpotatoe
08-21-2016, 05:56 AM

Oh easy..it's the company I can't stomach(big, fat, taco Ed).
11s cogsets from all 3 companies are 'essentially' the same spacing, as are chainrings. Yes, a Campag crank, cogset, chain and even brakes(no QR on brakes tho) would work fine with etap..bring it some class too..:rolleyes:

Actually, shimano or Campag stuff besides ders and shifters is probably a great idea, considering sram BB/CR/cogset 'issues'...if ya gotta do etap, that is.

:D

SpeedyChix
08-21-2016, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the post.
For a bike built with mechanical Shimano 11 and no internal wiring provision, using only the ETap shifters, FD and RD could let one run electronic shifting.

Anyone running both Di2 and ETap, how has going back and forth between the two different shifting styles been going? Would want to wait for a less expesive E-Tap Force or Rival level setup though.

SoCalSteve
08-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the post.
For a bike built with mechanical Shimano 11 and no internal wiring provision, using only the ETap shifters, FD and RD could let one run electronic shifting.

Anyone running both Di2 and ETap, how has going back and forth between the two different shifting styles been going? Would want to wait for a less expesive E-Tap Force or Rival level setup though.

Yes, any bike can become a bike with electronic shifting with ETap. I cannot imagine it not being compatible with any modern day bike.

As for going back and forth, I loved the way ETap shifted, where I could mount the remote blip shifters, ease of installation and the aesthetics of having no wires, I never went back to DI2. Sold it all.

SoCalSteve
08-21-2016, 09:37 AM
Oh easy..it's the company I can't stomach(big, fat, taco Ed).
11s cogsets from all 3 companies are 'essentially' the same spacing, as are chainrings. Yes, a Campag crank, cogset, chain and even brakes(no QR on brakes tho) would work fine with etap..bring it some class too..:rolleyes:

Actually, shimano or Campag stuff besides ders and shifters is probably a great idea, considering sram BB/CR/cogset 'issues'...if ya gotta do etap, that is.

Who is big fat taco Ed? Would love to hear why you hate the company so much. Yes, I have heard many negatives regarding SRAM, but personally have had nothing but great success with them and their products.

I called their technical line when I first got ETap and the gentleman on the phone was friendly, enthusiastic and super knowledgeable regarding ETap. I have been told by bike stores that if there are warranty issues, SRAM is great to deal with ( same as Shimano ).

So, what's the dealio with you and SRAM? Enquiring minds wanna know!

SpeedyChix
08-21-2016, 10:27 AM
Yes, any bike can become a bike with electronic shifting with ETap. I cannot imagine it not being compatible with any modern day bike.

As for going back and forth, I loved the way ETap shifted, where I could mount the remote blip shifters, ease of installation and the aesthetics of having no wires, I never went back to DI2. Sold it all.

Impressive. How often do you need to charge? Ridden reg. vs sitting?

SoCalSteve
08-21-2016, 04:21 PM
Impressive. How often do you need to charge? Ridden reg. vs sitting?

600 miles on rear derailleur. Much, much more on front. Rear goes out, just switch batteries. Easy peasy. Can't do that with DI2. When that battery is out of a charge, you are taking Uber!

Shifters they say are up to 2 years. CR 2032 battery, cheap and easily replaced.

Ed-B
08-21-2016, 04:26 PM
Those batteries look small enough to carry a hot spare. Front and rear derailleurs use the same battery cartridge, yes?

I really like this idea of a mixed product ETap drivetrain...

Ed.

SoCalSteve
08-21-2016, 05:33 PM
Those batteries look small enough to carry a hot spare. Front and rear derailleurs use the same battery cartridge, yes?

I really like this idea of a mixed product ETap drivetrain...

Ed.

I taped a hot spare to my pocket pump. $40.00, cheap insurance. Front and rear interchangeable.

Mixed works well so far.

oldpotatoe
08-21-2016, 06:48 PM
Who is big fat taco Ed? Would love to hear why you hate the company so much. Yes, I have heard many negatives regarding SRAM, but personally have had nothing but great success with them and their products.

I called their technical line when I first got ETap and the gentleman on the phone was friendly, enthusiastic and super knowledgeable regarding ETap. I have been told by bike stores that if there are warranty issues, SRAM is great to deal with ( same as Shimano ).

So, what's the dealio with you and SRAM? Enquiring minds wanna know!

A different forum, when spam road stuff new, I was seeing lots of failures, mostly broken shifters...criticized their stuff, got called by fat Ed and got chewed out on the phone, twice..fook them. BTW warrantied about a dozen shifters, 3 red rear Ders, 3 cranks(one folded CR)..these on bikes OE with scam. Bike shops wanted to send whole bike back, I just replaced shifter.

livingminimal
08-21-2016, 06:57 PM
I want to like SRAM, perhaps eTap, once its cleaned up and refined in a way I find personally acceptable, I will be into it. I want to root for the home team, from Chicago no less, and be supportive.
I can't though. Not yet. Not based on my experience and their track record. Maybe eTap will get me there.

Probably never Zipp though. :o

Cicli
08-21-2016, 07:21 PM
Well, I have spent a week on Apex that came on a CL find. I hate the front shifting. If you dont shove it hard to the big ring it hangs in the trim position and you have to start all over again with the paddle sweep. It sucks.
I will be dumping it for 105 very soon.

Likes2ridefar
08-21-2016, 07:26 PM
Waiting for the hydro disc version that works with SRAMs xd 10-42 cassettes.

54ny77
08-21-2016, 08:07 PM
this might be one of the first frames built just for etap? "look ma, ain't no cable holes nowhere!"

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5110251de4b0837c158095c6/575c1b63b09f95c081a57284/575c1b7a1d07c00975ae2726/1465654161339/FilamentLimeS.jpg?format=1500w

MaraudingWalrus
08-21-2016, 08:18 PM
Both the eTap groupsets we've done have been running with DA9000 chains and cassettes. One with Red22 cranks, one with Hollowgram SIs with FSA pro rings.

Shifting seems to be working great so far, as far as we've been told. And both would be quick to let us know if things weren't going well.

I have seen some hilarious run-ins on the PBMA facebook group with Ed from Sram...

MaraudingWalrus
08-21-2016, 08:40 PM

both the folks we've setup with eTap also have Di2. Though one is just Di2 on their TT bike, so they haven't had much time on Di2 with STI style levers.

The other has DA DI2 on their race bike also, so we'll hear more back from him this week as he gets more time on the eTap..on his "rain bike" a CAAD10 with 404 firecrests, Quarq and now eTap...

oldpotatoe
08-22-2016, 05:47 AM
600 miles on rear derailleur. Much, much more on front. Rear goes out, just switch batteries. Easy peasy. Can't do that with DI2. When that battery is out of a charge, you are taking Uber!

Shifters they say are up to 2 years. CR 2032 battery, cheap and easily replaced.

The wheels don't stop turning if a di2 battery crumps..you just can't shift. With EPS, you can mechanically disconnect rear der and position it by hand..just for info. BTW..charged my EPS 3 times in 3 years..yup, about 3000 miles per charge..not trying to get into a 'battery charge, mines bigger argument', just for info.

Is there a way to check charge via a status light somewhere or do ya gotta hook it up to a garmin or laptop or something?

chiasticon
08-22-2016, 09:39 AM
The wheels don't stop turning if a di2 battery crumps..you just can't shift. With EPS, you can mechanically disconnect rear der and position it by hand..just for info. BTW..charged my EPS 3 times in 3 years..yup, about 3000 miles per charge..not trying to get into a 'battery charge, mines bigger argument', just for info.that's some serious battery life. and it's awesome EPS lets you move it by hand. that's strongly discouraged for eTap and I believe di2 as well; you'll break the motor, basically.

I'm guessing we'll never see that kind of battery life for any wireless system, but I'd love to be proven wrong. a wireless system needs to be careful with how it conserves battery life and puts itself into sleep/wake modes between shifts. this is part of the reason why eTap has a slower first shift (has to wake up), but subsequent shifts are just as fast as di2.

Well, I have spent a week on Apex that came on a CL find. I hate the front shifting. If you dont shove it hard to the big ring it hangs in the trim position and you have to start all over again with the paddle sweep. It sucks.
I will be dumping it for 105 very soon.I'd suggest just grabbing one of the newer FD's, it'll be much cheaper. their FD's sucked until the Yaw stuff came out, but Apex was never updated to that. I think a Rival FD is like $27 new from Amazon. cheaper than a full 105 upgrade and if you still hate it, you can sell it. you'll have an extra click in the shifter and no trim, but it'll work much better.

Bob Ross
08-22-2016, 09:45 AM
this might be one of the first frames built just for etap? "look ma, ain't no cable holes nowhere!"

Have you seen this one?

http://i.imgur.com/bG86tFu.jpg

:::drool:::

SoCalSteve
08-22-2016, 10:13 AM
The wheels don't stop turning if a di2 battery crumps..you just can't shift. With EPS, you can mechanically disconnect rear der and position it by hand..just for info. BTW..charged my EPS 3 times in 3 years..yup, about 3000 miles per charge..not trying to get into a 'battery charge, mines bigger argument', just for info.

Is there a way to check charge via a status light somewhere or do ya gotta hook it up to a garmin or laptop or something?

Battery status can be checked via status light individually on all four components or via Garmin.

SpeedyChix
08-22-2016, 10:19 AM
both the folks we've setup with eTap also have Di2. Though one is just Di2 on their TT bike, so they haven't had much time on Di2 with STI style levers.

The other has DA DI2 on their race bike also, so we'll hear more back from him this week as he gets more time on the eTap..on his "rain bike" a CAAD10 with 404 firecrests, Quarq and now eTap...

Will watch for an update. Thx.
btw, quite the "rain bike"

oldpotatoe
08-22-2016, 10:38 AM
both the etap groupsets we've done have been running with da9000 chains and cassettes. One with red22 cranks, one with hollowgram sis with fsa pro rings.

Shifting seems to be working great so far, as far as we've been told. And both would be quick to let us know if things weren't going well.

I have seen some hilarious run-ins on the pbma facebook group with ed from sram...

pbma?

MaraudingWalrus
08-22-2016, 10:50 AM
pbma?

Professional Bicycle Mechanics Association

oldpotatoe
08-22-2016, 11:02 AM
Professional Bicycle Mechanics Association

Only way to access is via Facebook? I'm not on it but I'd love to see Ed squirm.

livingminimal
08-22-2016, 12:11 PM
Battery life is quite literally the last thing I am ever concerned about with di2.

My once per month overnight charge is probably overkill.

MaraudingWalrus
08-22-2016, 12:13 PM
Only way to access is via Facebook? I'm not on it but I'd love to see Ed squirm.

For the moment, yes. I think there are plans for a standalone forum, though I'm not sure.

MaraudingWalrus
08-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Will watch for an update. Thx.

btw, quite the "rain bike"

It really is. 1697925304

sandyrs
08-22-2016, 02:10 PM
It really is. 1697925304

Guess all his "rain riding" is done alone, or his riding buddies must really loath him.

ltwtsculler91
08-22-2016, 02:13 PM
Guess all his "rain riding" is done alone, or his riding buddies must really loath him.

Probably not many stops either, given how "fun" carbon wheels can be in the rain..

mistermo
08-23-2016, 07:46 AM
As for the brakes, the Shimano version is superior in every way over the SRAM Red brakes....

What's the problem with the Red brakes? I've got my drivetrain eTap group ready to go, but need to land on brakes. I figure I won't use Campy since there's no QR, which leaves Red and DA. I've got a set of both. Just trying to decide which to use.

oldpotatoe
08-23-2016, 07:48 AM
What's the problem with the Red brakes? I've got my drivetrain eTap group ready to go, but need to land on brakes. I figure I won't use Campy since there's no QR, which leaves Red and DA. I've got a set of both. Just trying to decide which to use.

Use DA...cuz, ya know....;)

chiasticon
08-23-2016, 08:20 AM
What's the problem with the Red brakes? I've got my drivetrain eTap group ready to go, but need to land on brakes. I figure I won't use Campy since there's no QR, which leaves Red and DA. I've got a set of both. Just trying to decide which to use.meh, I never understand people going on and on about road brakes and certain ones being so much better than others. I've ridden 105, ultegra and DA, as well as rival, force and red. they all slow and stop you just fine. never had on "oh sh*t!" moment from the braking not being strong enough, or too strong with not enough modulation, etc. the difference is just weight, and a lot more money, to me. you have the "best" (lightest) from two companies, so use whichever one you like the look of, I guess.

SoCalSteve
08-23-2016, 09:19 AM

Sorry if I mislead you in any way. What I meant to say was...the ease of installation, ergonomics of use and overall looks are just superior with the Dura Ace 9000. Of course, this is all subjective and maybe I am biased because I have used Shimano gear for so long. But I just found the Red brakes inferior. Stopping is stopping, they both do just fine there...its the " other " stuff I meant.

2 examples. SRAM changed the look of their Etap to all black, cranks as well as the drivetrain. But the brakes are still two toned. Makes no sense. And, the SRAM brakes require you to use a 13 mm open ended wrench. First time I ever needed this tool when building a bike. Didn't even own one. Anyway, just a couple of little things I found interesting about the Red brakes.

ColonelJLloyd
08-23-2016, 09:22 AM
And, the SRAM brakes require you to use a 13 mm open ended wrench. First time I ever needed this tool when building a bike. Didn't even own one.

No cone wrench?

chiasticon
08-23-2016, 10:42 AM
And, the SRAM brakes require you to use a 13 mm open ended wrench. First time I ever needed this tool when building a bike. Didn't even own one.they do? I have probably 30k miles into Sram brakes on multiple bikes; I built and maintained them all and have never needed this wrench. what did you use it for?

SoCalSteve
08-23-2016, 11:00 AM
they do? I have probably 30k miles into Sram brakes on multiple bikes; I built and maintained them all and have never needed this wrench. what did you use it for?

When I got my first complete Etap group, the brakes ( Red Aero ) came with a big sticker attached to them stating a 13mm wrench was needed to tighten and adjust the brakes. And, they were correct, I did need this tool to center and tighten the brakes properly. I borrowed one from my lbs and then ended up buying one.

Vinci
08-23-2016, 11:33 AM
they do? I have probably 30k miles into Sram brakes on multiple bikes; I built and maintained them all and have never needed this wrench. what did you use it for?
I think it could be something that those cam-actuated calipers need. Red uses them and Negative-G brakes do as well. I use a 13mm wrench on my Negative-G's to help center them then tightening the mounting nut. Since the whole caliper needs to be able to move on the center mounting post, you can't just pull the arms one way or the other to center them, like you can with regular dual-pivots.

chiasticon
08-23-2016, 11:36 AM
I think it could be something that those cam-actuated calipers need. Red uses them and Negative-G brakes do as well. I use a 13mm wrench on my Negative-G's to help center them then tightening the mounting nut. Since the whole caliper needs to be able to move on the center mounting post, you can't just pull the arms one way or the other to center them, like you can with regular dual-pivots.ah, that makes sense! haven't used this newer gen of red yet.

Vinci
08-23-2016, 11:47 AM
ah, that makes sense! haven't used this newer gen of red yet.
Yeah, for Sram it would just be the Red "Aerolink" brakes from 2012 on. The dual-pivots setup just like everyone else.