PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for riding around the Del Mar area?

Saxon
08-19-2016, 11:31 PM
Gonna be in the Del Mar area in a month or so, and I was wondering what the riding was like down there. Any good low traffic routes?

Lanternrouge
08-19-2016, 11:48 PM
Gonna be in the Del Mar area in a month or so, and I was wondering what the riding was like down there. Any good low traffic routes?

The riding in the area is finally decent. To really get out of traffic, you need to get out east or ride until you actually get into Camp Pendleton when heading north. Out of Del Mar, you can head south to Torrey Pines and keep going down into La Jolla for Mt. Soledad, though there is a lot of traffic. You can also head east out Via de Valle or via the 56 bike path or Carmel Valley. Of those, Via de Valle is the most interesting. There are also a lot of good loops through Rancho Santa Fe right there too. Heading north there is Camp Pendleton and Northeast is some good riding once you get out a ways. Del Mar itself has a reputation for being very bike unfriendly. Traffic down here is unfortunately a fact of life, but you should have a great time riding here if you can get over the frustration of all the traffic stops.

Saxon
08-20-2016, 12:25 AM
Thanks very much for the help!

My hotel is right on Via de Valle, so I think I'll head east from there and try and loop around to the 56 trail.

Thanks again!

woodworker
08-20-2016, 12:32 AM
check out the rides shown at the website for Ride cyclery in Encinitas. Some nice loops out East of Del Mar. The 56 ride is a nice loop, and there's a reverse Elfin Forest loop as well. Both are fun and a good workout. Traffic is not too bad on those loops and lots of riders.

SleepyCyclist
08-20-2016, 01:29 AM
Don't forget to put Mount Palomar on your list!

M

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Gummee
08-20-2016, 07:17 AM
If you have time, there used to be a mid-week ride out of the bike shop over by the stadium.

Thurs night worlds happens on Fiesta Island. I don't remember the time, it's been a decade since I rode there

Saturdays is group ride heaven, with rides leaving from all over and going all over: swami's, SDBC in the Golden Triangle, etc etc etc

If you have the interest, Tuesday Night Racing at the velodrome (Balboa Park) is a hoot. Even more fun if you race.

HTH

M

bigbill
08-20-2016, 10:11 AM
Ride inland heading north in the morning before it gets hot, head over to the coast late morning and head south down the coast and enjoy the predominate NW wind. I love riding in that area.

ptourkin
08-22-2016, 08:03 AM
Stay away from Fiesta Worlds unless you're into demolition derbies while on vacation. Even locals who ride it deride it often and unless you know the cast of characters, it might not be wise. The 56 bike path is not scenic and can be crowded with rec riders and runners. I'd skip it. Go out Via de la Valle to Del Dios Hwy and follow it along the Lake Hodges till it ends and then return to the coast via Elfin Forest (or do the loop via Elfin First and back via Del Dios.) This is the classic inland North County ride and is a part of all the main group rides except Pendleton. Great views of the lake and some challenging climbs with no cross traffic.

Take it easy in Del Mar. Lots of stop sign tickets from the po po.

Check the schedule on the San Diego Velodrome before heading down for TNR. We are resurfacing in September and will be closed for about 12 days, unfortunately.

Gummee
08-22-2016, 09:55 AM
When did Fiesta Is become a crash-fest? It was pretty safe when I was there last (admittedly, that was a decade ago). Faster'n hades on the downwind leg, but safe

M

Lanternrouge
08-22-2016, 11:22 AM
The 56 bike path is not scenic and can be crowded with rec riders and runners. I'd skip it.

It's not too bad during the week, but the main thing going for it is it keeps you away from the cars. The OP is from Sacramento and the American River Bike Trail there is way better than the 56.

Even though we sometimes poo poo (sp.?) coastal rides, they are something that you don't get in the Sacramento area where the riding is actually really great when the weather is not too uncooperative.

ptourkin
08-22-2016, 03:43 PM
When did Fiesta Is become a crash-fest? It was pretty safe when I was there last (admittedly, that was a decade ago). Faster'n hades on the downwind leg, but safe

M

It's crazy at the front and you need to be careful not to ride into a problem coming from behind. People going faster than their ability, mostly. It's been kind of a grim joke the last couple years. Fiasco Worlds. People still go, obviously, but it's probably better if you recognize who you're next to.

I held the Fifth Annual Fiesta Island Midnight Century on Saturday, though. We almost had our second rider break the 4 hour barrier- a little bonk at the end left him at 4:06.

This admittedly was caused by a methed out driver, but it took out a member of SDBC and paralyzed him: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Cyclist-in-Critical-Condition-Following-Fiesta-Island-Crash-271404141.html

Lanternrouge
08-22-2016, 03:57 PM
I held the Fifth Annual Fiesta Island Midnight Century on Saturday, though. We almost had our second rider break the 4 hour barrier- a little bonk at the end left him at 4:06.

Was that a solo effort or decent-sized group?

ptourkin
08-22-2016, 04:03 PM
The 3:57 record was completely a solo effort. The 4:06 guy was in a paceline at times but I understand that he did the majority of the work and people were dropping like flies trying to stick with him. He was low on a TT bike so not as much of a draft behind.

There's not much wind at midnight and most people cut down on even that by adding in a lot of short loops which cuts out a lot of the upwind leg.

Lanternrouge
08-22-2016, 07:35 PM
The 3:57 record was completely a solo effort. The 4:06 guy was in a paceline at times but I understand that he did the majority of the work and people were dropping like flies trying to stick with him. He was low on a TT bike so not as much of a draft behind.

Even with no wind, that's still pretty good, especially considering how many times you end up seeing the same stuff all those times around.