PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Rear Derailleur Problems

marcus
07-10-2006, 11:45 AM
I have great respect for the knowledge on this board. So...

When my campy 10 record rear derailleur is adjusted just right for the larger cogs, it's noisy in the smaller cogs, and quiets down if the cable is tightened a little. But, when it's adjusted just right for the smaller cogs, it wants to overshift in the large cogs. This is more pronounced in the big chainring.

The hangar is straight, the der is not bent, the chain and cogs are nearly new, the cable is clean. The shifter is 3 years old, maybe 6000 miles and feels crisp, except the first click has gotten a little soft.

Anyone ever have a similar issue? G-springs?

Best regards to all,

Marcus

Jeremy
07-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Shifting problems like this are usually cable related. Change the cable and housing and it will probably go away. I like to use a very light grease like Slick Honey that I pump directly into the housing before I run the cable through it. Your G-springs may be showing the first signs of wear, but start with new cables.

Jeremy

Too Tall
07-10-2006, 12:41 PM
What he said. Check out Rock n' Roll cable lube. Loaded with teflon.

The cable may be clean but is there a stretch / kink in it where it passes thru the BB guide? Seen that.

Eric E
07-11-2006, 03:19 PM
I had the same problem and it turned out that my derraileur hanger was bent - probably on a plane flight (now I always unscrew the derraileur!). This was shown by a local shop employee with a long, arm-like tool that screws into the derraileur bolt hole and then can be swiveled to see if the arm is the same distance from the rim. The same tool was used to twist my Ti hanger back into allignment.

Best, Eric

marcus
07-13-2006, 06:44 PM
Hey Jeremy, Too Tall, Eric E,

The cable was it! The old cable wasn't kinked, but it had taken a slight set in a couple of places. This must have been enough. Amazing how sensitive ten speed drive trains are.

Thank-you all,

Marcus