PDA

View Full Version : The end of the tall front derailleur

dana_e
08-19-2016, 05:33 PM
So shimano then campy made the front derailleur pivot arm (or whatever) long

now here comes dura ace 9100, the long arm is gone. I assume ultegra and 105 follow suit

what happens to campy>?

saab2000
08-19-2016, 05:47 PM
I own four of these Shimano tall front derailleurs. I found them all absurdly finicky to get set up but once set up they do the job. Just like the previous design.

The new one looks ridiculous. I'm sure it too will move the chain from the big to the small and back to the big. I hope it won't need trimming, something all but one of my tall ones need. They're all a bit different. Don't ask me why.....

The new one looks like a cable routing nightmare.

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/sites/cyclist/files/styles/insert_main_wide_image/public/shimano_dura_ace_9100_review_front_derailleur_2.jp g?itok=calVOtvw

merckx
08-19-2016, 05:58 PM
Here is another image of the new Shimano front derailleur.

oldpotatoe
08-20-2016, 05:28 AM
So shimano then campy made the front derailleur pivot arm (or whatever) long

now here comes dura ace 9100, the long arm is gone. I assume ultegra and 105 follow suit

what happens to campy>?

Nothing..shimano long front ders had some tissues with clearance..plus being way finicky to set up. Campag, not-so-much.

OtayBW
08-20-2016, 05:42 AM
Here is another image of the new Shimano front derailleur.I hate when that happens!

Black Dog
08-20-2016, 05:46 AM
I own four of these Shimano tall front derailleurs. I found them all absurdly finicky to get set up but once set up they do the job. Just like the previous design.

The new one looks ridiculous. I'm sure it too will move the chain from the big to the small and back to the big. I hope it won't need trimming, something all but one of my tall ones need. They're all a bit different. Don't ask me why.....

The new one looks like a cable routing nightmare.

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/sites/cyclist/files/styles/insert_main_wide_image/public/shimano_dura_ace_9100_review_front_derailleur_2.jp g?itok=calVOtvw

Looks like mechanical Di2. :D

ultraman6970
08-20-2016, 11:13 AM
IMO the best FD shimano ever made were the ones that came back when ultegra tricolor and 105 sc showed up in the market, why fix it you know, design worked, straight forward cable clamp, nothing fancy just plain function.

As many, I never understood too much why to swap the design when they had a design that worked just fine already. The same happened with that weird idea of adding more groups, remove features in other ones and any other weird idea campagnolo had. Shimano from what Ive read always had problems with their FD's. IMO Shimano and Campagnolo need to revise their line up and just make it simpler for exverybody, is just stoooooooopid to have some much useless stuff moving around.

mcteague
08-20-2016, 11:35 AM
IMO the best FD shimano ever made were the ones that came back when ultegra tricolor and 105 sc showed up in the market, why fix it you know, design worked, straight forward cable clamp, nothing fancy just plain function.

As many, I never understood too much why to swap the design when they had a design that worked just fine already. The same happened with that weird idea of adding more groups, remove features in other ones and any other weird idea campagnolo had. Shimano from what Ive read always had problems with their FD's. IMO Shimano and Campagnolo need to revise their line up and just make it simpler for exverybody, is just stoooooooopid to have some much useless stuff moving around.
Product managers push for something new all the time. When you have a product that works well already they often end up just making it worse. Then after the "new and improved" model has had its run, they can then introduce the "back to basics" design. Then, the whole process runs again.

Tim

Ed-B
08-20-2016, 01:41 PM
Oh, for sure, marketing and product management need to create new offerings to keep the business moving. But it's not all fluff.

For me, Shimano is the benchmark. They got things started with SIS, and that lit a fire under everyone's ass. They're a technology company. And they deliver quality results. How can anyone think that their new groups don't work better than the old groups? There is no question that there have been issues with certain aspects of the new designs in some iterations, but overall, the products are really progressing.

For example; ride a new Shimano 105 5800 bike. And then ride any of the previous generations from the 105 series. There is simply no comparison. The only complaint is the *setup* of that front tall derailleur, and the fact that the arm might interfere with big tires on short wheelbase frames. They're fixing these issues with this new design, and one that will be backwards compatible, too.

Is this the end of the tall front derailleur from Shimano... I don't know, but probably so. Front derailleurs are relatively cheap with respect to the other components in a group. If the new design is backwards compatible and better, then it might be worth it to upgrade.

macaroon
08-20-2016, 01:59 PM
Dura Ace 7800 is the benchmark

Exonerv
08-20-2016, 04:16 PM
I love 7800 and have it on 2 bikes, but my 6800 11 sp shifting is so much better. I'm often shocked at how little effort it takes to move the FD... light, clean & quick.

sg8357
08-20-2016, 04:29 PM
Fastest and quietest front shifter is a Simplex Competition/Tourist
rod operated derailleur. Really tall, not finicky.
Image courtesy Dave Moulton.

Neil
08-20-2016, 04:43 PM
I'm loving my 1*11 road bike, the others are getting left hanging on the wall.

Free yourselves from the front mech!

dana_e
08-22-2016, 01:51 PM
back to the old style

it is the new style

livingminimal
08-22-2016, 01:53 PM
I kinda like trimming. weird?

ColonelJLloyd
08-22-2016, 01:54 PM
Dura Ace 7800 is the benchmark

Pretty tough to beat a Huret Jubilee or Campy NR.

CMiller
08-22-2016, 03:18 PM
Loooove my 6800 front shifting but combined with shorter chainstays it makes contact with larger tires when in the big ring.

I'm hoping this solves that problem and I can go to a 42mm in the rear finally.

FlashUNC
08-22-2016, 03:24 PM
Campy Rev+ or gtfo.

Tall derailleurs forever.

(The gold standard for front shifting is, of course, still electronic, but I'm assuming this is a mechanical only discussion.)