PDA

View Full Version : Who makes bib knickers w/o a chamois?

Lewis Moon
08-19-2016, 10:32 AM
Can anyone give me some leads on manufacturers of bib knickers w/o a chamois? I'm looking to wear these over my summer shorts. Winter around here is usually too warm for tights but is often too cold for just shorts and knee warmers.

superbowlpats
08-19-2016, 10:47 AM
Maybe something like this?

https://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/knickers-tights/assos-ll-uno-no-insert-bib-tights/

thunderworks
08-19-2016, 10:52 AM
Giordana does (or at least at one time did).

carpediemracing
08-19-2016, 11:52 AM
You can usually get a small run of clothing from some custom clothing companies. For example I ordered bib knickers for myself from Verge. I think I ordered 5 pair, maybe 6. They can customize however but on my order I just asked for the side panels to say Verge.

As far as "too cold for shorts and knee warmers", have you tried thermal bib shorts? Combined with knee warmers that should work well. In 45-55 degree weather I find thermal shorts to be just about perfect.

jruhlen1980
08-19-2016, 12:24 PM
As far as "too cold for shorts and knee warmers", have you tried thermal bib shorts? Combined with knee warmers that should work well. In 45-55 degree weather I find thermal shorts to be just about perfect.

Same. I bought a pair of thermal bib shorts by accident a few years ago (they were on clearance and I was in a hurry) and when I realized they were thermal I thought "when the heck will I ever wear these?" but, as it turns out, with the mild winters we've had recently they've been perfect for 40-50 degree rides. I.e., getting a lot of use. They're on their last threads, it's really going to suck when I have to replace them.

christian
08-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Living in New York, thermal bib shorts get as much use as regular shorts if not more, assuming you ride 12 months.

Lewis Moon
08-19-2016, 12:47 PM
Maybe something like this?

https://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/knickers-tights/assos-ll-uno-no-insert-bib-tights/

Knickers...with a K.

Lewis Moon
08-19-2016, 12:53 PM
Giordana does (or at least at one time did).

Did(?) Cant find them on their website. Thanks,

superbowlpats
08-19-2016, 12:58 PM
Knickers...with a K.

LOL just saw I sent you the wrong link. the Assos guy always creeps me out

Lewis Moon
08-19-2016, 01:04 PM
You can usually get a small run of clothing from some custom clothing companies. For example I ordered bib knickers for myself from Verge. I think I ordered 5 pair, maybe 6. They can customize however but on my order I just asked for the side panels to say Verge.

I just can't bring myself to buy a set of nice bibshorts I'll only wear maybe 7 or 8 times a year. I now have 5 sets of shorts in rotation so I'd either have to wash the thermal bibshorts every day or own 5 pairs to get any real use out of them. I figure a set of bib kickers over my shorts would be good for three or so rides between washings.

carpediemracing
08-19-2016, 04:06 PM
I just can't bring myself to buy a set of nice bibshorts I'll only wear maybe 7 or 8 times a year. I now have 5 sets of shorts in rotation so I'd either have to wash the thermal bibshorts every day or own 5 pairs to get any real use out of them. I figure a set of bib kickers over my shorts would be good for three or so rides between washings.

Ah makes sense.

Well that Verge idea (order bib knickers without padding) won't really meet your needs as you'll have to order 5 or 6 pairs to get the custom bit. I suppose you could ask, it never hurts to ask. They've treated me really well for the 20-odd years I've been dealing with them (since they were new, whenever that was).

What size shorts do you wear?

coylifut
08-19-2016, 05:18 PM
bib knickers without a pad will be very hard to find.

i found a couple sets of Castelli on closeout and removed the chamois. some brands glue and sew the pad. it's fairly easy to tell by pulling on the chamois.

I ride every day during the week in the winter so having two sets to wear over regular bibs without having to do the wash mid week is convenient.

cadence90
08-19-2016, 05:40 PM
Louis Garneau no chamois bib knickers (http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1183191_-1___000000)

Art
08-19-2016, 10:48 PM
Boure http://www.boure.com/knickersmen.html
Request no chamois.

fiamme red
08-19-2016, 11:59 PM
Kucharik makes wool knickers for which a chamois is optional: http://www.kucharikclothing.com/wool-knickers-34-tights-p-449.html.

spookyload
08-20-2016, 01:03 AM
I know Voler and Pearl Izumi both make them as well. A little cheaper alternative.

bikemoore
08-20-2016, 03:49 AM
I'll add my vote to thermal bibs couples with knee warmers being the better, more available solution for mildly cold conditions. I bought a couple pairs of Bontrager thermal bibs. When it is time knee warmers or leg warmers, it is also time for thermal bibs.