PDA

View Full Version : Altercation with a vehicle -

Mikej
08-18-2016, 06:16 PM
Man, I just had a terrible experience and I feel terrible from adrenaline. Without going into it, Im fine bust just hate when people think they can use thier SUV to prove a point -then they parked and I yelled- a lot, the moment just sucked me in and I lost it screaming I had a right to be there as well, f bomb x 100- as they told me it's the road for cars etc. moral of the story, just turn around -

regularguy412
08-18-2016, 06:21 PM
Sometimes, it's just good to get it out of your system.

I've been there; I know.

MIke in AR:beer:

54ny77
08-18-2016, 06:22 PM
my rule of thumb is never, ever start something (unless in clearly life threatening situation of self defense) you aren't ready to finish to its typically very bad conclusion for one party or the other.

sometimes those battles can be picked, sometimes adrenaline takes over.

more often than not is best to just call the cops and let them sort it out.

congrats on making it home safe and in 1 piece.

Mikej
08-18-2016, 06:23 PM
Yeah, and some random dude decided to chase me with a hammer -

54ny77
08-18-2016, 06:27 PM
well that sucks. and is assault with a deadly weapon.

i've had books thrown at me. no joke! hard not to laugh when it happened.

the least they could've been was a good patterson thriller. but, no.

:D

did have a snapple bottle tossed at my head last summer while cruising along pch in so cal. could've been bad. driver missed, bottle literally passed in between my arms and torso, barely missing top tube. despite best efforts of our group, which included some very fast national caliber guys, driver lucked out on traffic in getting away. young punk, basically.

Yeah, and some random dude decided to chase me with a hammer -

CampyorBust
08-18-2016, 06:31 PM
I have had incidents where the police were helpful and some where they were not. Ride with a camera.

Tickdoc
08-18-2016, 06:31 PM
Glad you're safe. Don't let the f@cktards get you down.

adub
08-18-2016, 06:32 PM
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

CampyorBust
08-18-2016, 06:34 PM
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

How did revenge enter into this?:confused:

And for that matter revenge is best avoided, but that takes a certain level of excellence.

cinema
08-18-2016, 07:13 PM
How did revenge enter into this?:confused:

And for that matter revenge is best avoided, but that takes a certain level of excellence.

I found a car that hit me with its mirror once parked on the side of the road outside the owners house. Moral of the story for that dude was don't foul your own nest

CampyorBust
08-18-2016, 07:18 PM
I found a car that hit me with its mirror once parked on the side of the road outside the owners house. Moral of the story for that dude was don't foul your own nest

Lol, did you serve it hot and steamy? You sure it was a dude, not some senile granny that should not be driving in the first place?

Actually this reminds some guy fish tales around me in a truck, almost hits me, see him pull into his house a minute later. Walking in with his todler, I stop on the side of the road and ask ask him WTH, and basically say dont foul your own nest or something to that effect, he ignores me. What should I do now, I live in a small quite town, if i do something will I not also be fouling my own nest?

I am still pissed at the guy, that was a douchey and dangerous thing to do especailly with a toddler. If I take my ice cold revenge that will trigger a chain of events best avoided, i will leave it up to Karma.

Then again I have never been hit with a mirror, so...

Schmed
08-18-2016, 07:36 PM
Even though you lost your cool, you still have to somehow communicate to them that they endangered you. Simply walking away doesn't let them know that they screwed up.

Cicli
08-18-2016, 07:56 PM
Glad you are okay.
Two years ago I got chickened by some bewb in a pickup. Shattered my foot when I went in the ditch. Happened again a couple of months ago. Same road different car. Dont know if it was the same guy. Called the sheriff and this Beauford Justice type nice farm man showed up. He went and found the guy. Dont know what he did exactly buy next time the sheriff saw me on the road he let me know the bikes are expected to follow the rules of the road or face a big ticket from him. The motorists are being held to the three foot law and he would visit them if they didnt. Sort of nice.
Me and my kids were at the local ice cream stand in Elburn and the sheriff and his partner were in having lunch and recognized me. Asked if all was well. That was nice he remembered. I slipped the lady at the ice cream stand the funds to pick up their tab and told her to put the rest in the tip jar and left.

The cops out by me are looking out for the cyclists. Its sort of nice.

bikinchris
08-18-2016, 08:02 PM
The best reason for cyclists to follow the law is....you might want that same law to protect you done day.

Mzilliox
08-19-2016, 01:47 PM
today i had my first altercation with a middle class soccer mom, usually its an old guy in pickup, or a young guy(s) in a pickup.

Today a lady was passing cars over a double yellow coming right for me (opposite directions). I pulled to the side and put my arms in the air as she passed 2 cars, across a double yellow, downhill, approaching a stop sign. a moment later as i resume my climb, i hear a car horn just being layed on behind me.
all of the sudden the same SUV that was irresponsible passing folks the other direction in all kinds of hurry has turned around and is honking at me? she pulls up next to me forcing me off the road and into the ditch and yells, "next time you get in my way ill just hit you," then sped off. 30 something soccer mom type in a champagne SUV. amazing! I was so dumbfounded i didn't even get an F bomb out, and i failed to catch her plate number.

I was ready to punch that lady right in the face if it came to it.

Fivethumbs
08-19-2016, 02:05 PM
I think the OP is saying that he regrets getting so angry that he lost it. If that is the case just remember - you're human, I'm human, all other people are humans. None of us our perfect and we will all make mistakes. We want forgiveness for our trespasses against other as we will hopefully forgive those who trespass against us. As they say, "live and learn".

Schmed
08-19-2016, 02:21 PM
"next time you get in my way ill just hit you,"

I'm always amazed at this level of hate. Is she truly saying that she would KILL you over a slight inconvenience? Really lady?

I too, would be highly temped to clock her in the face. Sorry lady, I'm only human.

54ny77
08-19-2016, 02:26 PM
She was late to yoga.

Namaste.

:crap:

I'm always amazed at this level of hate. Is she truly saying that she would KILL you over a slight inconvenience? Really lady?

I too, would be highly temped to clock her in the face. Sorry lady, I'm only human.

oldpotatoe
08-19-2016, 02:35 PM
Man, I just had a terrible experience and I feel terrible from adrenaline. Without going into it, Im fine bust just hate when people think they can use thier SUV to prove a point -then they parked and I yelled- a lot, the moment just sucked me in and I lost it screaming I had a right to be there as well, f bomb x 100- as they told me it's the road for cars etc. moral of the story, just turn around -

call...the ...police...let them argue with the dim bulb.

Waldo
08-19-2016, 02:41 PM
The day's winner:

She was late to yoga.

Namaste.

:crap:

Chapeau, sir.

Mzilliox
08-19-2016, 02:43 PM

this is the part that blows me away, the lack of regard for a life. i wasn't even going the same way, i was going the Opposite direction! she was in such a hurry, she turned around to confront me

if i were real sharp, i would have tossed her my joint and said "here lady, you need this way more than me."

CampyorBust
08-19-2016, 02:43 PM
today i had my first altercation with a middle class soccer mom...I was ready to punch that lady right in the face if it came to it.

Been there, but don't punch soccer moms some are future cougars the world and Ryan Lochte need them, just let this image quench your thirst.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/Sccrmum_zps3t0wiwlw.jpg

ColonelJLloyd
08-19-2016, 02:48 PM
this is the part that blows me away, the lack of regard for a life.

if i were real sharp, i would have tossed her my joint and said "here lady, you need this way more than me."

I've had a lady pull up to me and start yelling and cussing me. I put on a big smile and nodded my head and gave her a thumbs up as if she was saying something really nice. I suspect she had an aneurysm soon after if the color of her face was any indication.

Jad
08-19-2016, 03:33 PM
*...she pulls up next to me forcing me off the road and into the ditch and yells, "next time you get in my way ill just hit you," then sped off. 30 something soccer mom type in a champagne SUV. amazing! I was so dumbfounded i didn't even get an F bomb out, and i failed to catch her plate number. *...

Yup--something similar happened to me (screaming lady in an old Corolla), and all I could manage getting out was, "What!? Crazy!! Crazy!!" Totally dumbfounded.

djneight
08-19-2016, 03:44 PM

I get so stressed out from those moments...glad it wasn't any worse that you mentioned

peanutgallery
08-20-2016, 07:23 AM
Backside of my neighborhood has an entrance to the local soccer complex and a private pool that hosts a swim team. those are the vehicles to watch out for as there is a high level of angst and pushiness on the part of the over scheduled parent. Things do have way of rolling out in front of them if I happen to notice an increased 0 to 60 time in between stop signs as I'm out in the yard. No confrontations yet, but my attack cat has my back

jghall
08-20-2016, 07:45 AM
First and foremost, glad you're ok. It's tough to remain composed 100% of the time. Sometimes tough in even a lax work environment, let alone when on the road and at any moment your life may be on the line.

Many of us would have reacted the same. Human nature. Though if it helps, say 3 Hail Mary's and no desert tonight. ;)

Stay safe!

Mikej
08-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Thanks everybody, I just don't understand some people, you know ??

bigbill
08-20-2016, 10:40 AM
Only two interactions since moving to NE Texas four years ago. Two years ago I was riding on a wide shoulder south of town when some guys threw bottles out the window at me. There was a guy in a big 4X4 behind them and he went all road ragy on them coming up on their bumper laying on his horn before returning to see if I was ok. They missed me and the bottles landed in the ditch without breaking. I learned early not to judge a book by its cover.

Three years ago a guy rolled coal on me on a four lane road while I was riding on the really wide shoulder. He did it with a Trooper coming the other direction. He got pulled over and ticketed for "exhibition of acceleration", I talked to the trooper later.

This is an odd place, it's a sports based culture with strong high school athletic programs (football, baseball, track) and people actually respect the cyclists because they're athletes even if we're mamils.

I had almost weekly run-ins when I was commuting in the PNW, the land of enlightened people.

verticaldoug
08-20-2016, 11:35 AM
A soccer mom in a hurry is a dangerous person.

My all time favorite is a few years back. I crashed on 22 in Westchester and knocked the wind out of me. I am laying on my back in the center of the road unable to move. This big SUV stops maybe 20 feet from me with a woman driving. She blares the horn and I can see her yelling get out of the road to totally self absorbed to dawn on her to see if I am okay. A nice grandma type coming from the other direction actually rolled up and asked if I was okay.

Kinda a head scratcher.

(The reason for the crash: myCK hubs did not latch when I stood up on the pedal and I literally spun myself upside down in the middle of the road)

bigbill
08-20-2016, 12:13 PM
Have to share, this was last weekend. Group stopped to change a flat and a Deputy Sheriff stopped and turned on his lights so drivers would move over to the other lane. The County Sheriff and State Troopers are very cycle friendly, the local police are hit or miss.

Vientomas
08-20-2016, 03:37 PM
Have to share, this was last weekend. Group stopped to change a flat and a Deputy Sheriff stopped and turned on his lights so drivers would move over to the other lane. The County Sheriff and State Troopers are very cycle friendly, the local police are hit or miss.

Why not move off the pave shoulder onto the grass??

OtayBW
08-20-2016, 04:16 PM
Why not move off the pave shoulder onto the grass??Geez - you ain't kidding.

flydhest
08-20-2016, 04:49 PM
The best reason for cyclists to follow the law is....you might want that same law to protect you done day.

Just so that I am clear on what you are saying, if a driver breaks the law--like talking on the phone while driving or speeding--then the driver shouldn't expect the law to protect him/her if someone assaults them? Breaking the law makes it ok for others to endanger you, is that right?

ripvanrando
08-20-2016, 05:28 PM
I almost got killed by a semi today. He came off the interstate and did not stop. Blew right thru. Our eyes met. I went left and in between his cab and the oncoming car.

He was going to the truck stop.

My regret is not following him in and beating the absolute living piss out of him.