PDA

View Full Version : BikeFlights help?

pinkshogun
08-18-2016, 03:06 PM
i plugged in the variables to ship a large frame to Switzlerland but im getting a quote of $300. Can someone try their hand see what comes up

the box is 42"x29"x8.5"

eBAUMANN
08-18-2016, 03:07 PM
use USPS for international shipping, keep box length + girth under 108" and you should be ok.

42 + 29 + 29 + 8.5 + 8.5 = 117"

MORE INFO HERE (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=173673)

ColonelJLloyd
08-18-2016, 03:08 PM
For those dimensions and 35lbs I get $309 for 5 day Express.

eBAUMANN
08-18-2016, 03:11 PM
For those dimensions and 35lbs I get $309 for 5 day Express.

35lbs for a frame seems a little high...;)

pinkshogun
08-18-2016, 03:14 PM
Its a very big frame and wont make the 108" size for USPS International

eBAUMANN
08-18-2016, 03:16 PM
Its a very big frame and wont make the 108" size for USPS International

cut the box down to the shape of the frame, like so:

http://forallmyfriends.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/fyxomatosis-merckx-pista-shipping.jpg

or pay $300...

bikingshearer
08-18-2016, 03:17 PM

Not if you wrap the frame in bunches and bunches of foam tubing and then encase the whole thing in concrete (to be be chipped away - carefully - at the destination). :D

And not if you ship a Varsity frame and fork naked except for drop-out spacers.

ColonelJLloyd
08-18-2016, 03:18 PM

Ha! True. I was thinking bike.

sokyroadie
08-18-2016, 04:07 PM
cut the box down to the shape of the frame, like so:

http://forallmyfriends.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/fyxomatosis-merckx-pista-shipping.jpg

or pay $300...

How does that make it any smaller vs a rectangle? The overall dimensions are still the same, unless I am missing something.

Jeff

eBAUMANN
08-18-2016, 04:26 PM
How does that make it any smaller vs a rectangle? The overall dimensions are still the same, unless I am missing something.

Jeff

Its just a method of removing all excess box to get it down to size.

If that doesnt do it, it will at least make it harder for usps to turn you away at the counter, as they will usually just measure along the top of bottom of the box to determine length.

THAT SAID...
I have shipped MANY frames/wheels internationally and NEVER ONCE have they measured the box at the counter if I have a pre-paid label.

jtakeda
08-18-2016, 04:31 PM
Its just a method of removing all excess box to get it down to size.

If that doesnt do it, it will at least make it harder for usps to turn you away at the counter, as they will usually just measure along the top of bottom of the box to determine length.

THAT SAID...
I have shipped MANY frames/wheels internationally and NEVER ONCE have they measured the box at the counter if I have a pre-paid label.

I think Eric is right here. I did the same thing for a friend and they just took it at the counter after measuring and deciding "who cares".

pinkshogun
08-18-2016, 05:32 PM
i got the box down to 108" on the nose while keeping it square. i just need the nice usps clerk to be there when i ship

eBAUMANN
08-18-2016, 05:54 PM
i got the box down to 108" on the nose while keeping it square. i just need the nice usps clerk to be there when i ship

Kill em with kindness. It sounds silly but even just asking them how their day is going or if they have any weekend plans goes a LONG way, as most people will just treat them like postage robots.

Dead Man
08-18-2016, 06:41 PM
Man usps employees can be some serious nazis. I've had a few very close calls with hitting their balloon rate... The first experience was the worst. Paid a shop to professionally package a Davidson Ti frame (never did that again).. Took the box in to have them give me a quote, quoted me like $48 to New York.. So that's what I told the buyer (who hadnt fully committed to buying it - wanted to know how much it would be to ship).. Who then agreed to that, sent me money.. Next day I go into my local post office and they tell me it's going to be $140.

Things got super hostile super fast. Apparently the first clerk, at a different PO, had nicely rounded down on the half inch for me.. But the burned out bitch at the St. Helens PO rounded up. Kept telling me if she didn't round up, other postal employees in other places where the package was going would measure it and they'd surely round up and send it back with postage due. RIGHT.

Ended up having to shave the box down and repackage. Was some serious BS over .5"

CampyorBust
08-18-2016, 07:03 PM
Man usps employees can be some serious nazis.

Some are also territorial and vendictive, I swear some if not all of them are in a evil secret society. While some of them are pretty darn awesome, and are a cheerful delight everytime I see them. One thing is for sure with the nazis, you must repect their Authority! There is one guy with which I have to walk in backwards do a spin, a curtsey and begin the request with profuse appologies for my insolence.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/mikedino/respect_my_authority.jpg

pinkshogun
08-18-2016, 08:54 PM
im in good with one of the ladies at my LPS so things should go smoothly

pinkshogun
09-07-2016, 04:39 PM
Is BikeFlights a stickler for the correct weight? This old Schwinn has some poundage so I plugged in the correct box size, 55x28x8.5", but estimated weight at 65 pounds

ColonelJLloyd
09-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Bikeflights is a middle man. Follow FedEx's rules. They could reject your package at some point during shipping, send it back to you and you'd be out the shipping cost you paid.

EricEstlund
09-08-2016, 07:43 AM
Bikes are usually based on dimensional weight- ie, a 20lb big box may well be the same cost as a 50lb box of the same dimensions. I usually play with a freight calculator and enter the weight higher to give some wiggle in the system. FedEx weighs it at intake, and will mark it down with no change in cost.