PDA

View Full Version : Fixed gear wheelset

sokyroadie
08-18-2016, 09:40 AM
Does anyone know of a similar wheelset to the Wabi:
http://wabicycles.com/7301-wheels.html
That has 130 rear spacing?

I have asked them if you can change the axle, but have not heard back.

I know light, cheap,durable ...........:no:

Thanks,
Jeff

ColonelJLloyd
08-18-2016, 09:45 AM
Do you build wheels? I built my set with Velo Orange fixed/fixed hubs. They come with spacers for various OLDs (120, 126, 130 and 135mm).

sokyroadie
08-18-2016, 10:27 AM
Do you build wheels? I build my set with Velo Orange fixed/fixed hubs. They come with spacers for various OLDs (120, 126, 130 and 135mm).

No I don't, I saw the VO wheels but figured they were pretty heavy. The hubs seemed a reasonable weight, so may go that route.

Thanks,
Jeff

08-18-2016, 12:06 PM
There are hundreds of options out there, both components and prebuilt wheels. And tons of used stuff as well. Are you looking just for road fixie use? Just for winter? Do you want to be compatible with larger tires (30 mm+)? And I assume you want 130 spacing to fit a standard road frame conversion, since you're asking for 130?

You want double-fixed or fixed-free? High flange or low flange? Quick release front? Do you want classic cog threading or one of the spline systems like Miche (I would recommend classic threading using English threading only, because the others limit what you can get and the classic threading works just fine)?

When you go cheap in the hubs you usually get cheap track nuts, which means the hubs tend to deform some stay ends and they tend to "walk" more while tightening and also wear out fast. When you buy any fixed hubs or wheels, plan to get a pair of good track nuts for the rear -- Shimano preferred. Just calculate it as part of the cost.

jmoore
08-18-2016, 01:13 PM
http://www.bicyclewheels.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=B&Category_Code=FGM

I have a set of the Mavic's listed here. They have been fine under my 230-ish weight for years. I have never had to touch them.. You can def swap the axle if needed.

sokyroadie
08-18-2016, 01:18 PM
There are hundreds of options out there, both components and prebuilt wheels. And tons of used stuff as well. Are you looking just for road fixie use? Just for winter? Do you want to be compatible with larger tires (30 mm+)? And I assume you want 130 spacing to fit a standard road frame conversion, since you're asking for 130?

Just for road, the bike will be used sparingly year round. The Zullo I am converting will only take 25c max. Corsa Elite tubbies, maybe a small 25c clincher.

[/QUOTE]
You want double-fixed or fixed-free? High flange or low flange? Quick release front? Do you want classic cog threading or one of the spline systems like Miche (I would recommend classic threading using English threading only, because the others limit what you can get and the classic threading works just fine)?[/QUOTE]

I will probably mainly run as SS so don't care which hub.

[/QUOTE]
When you go cheap in the hubs you usually get cheap track nuts, which means the hubs tend to deform some stay ends and they tend to "walk" more while tightening and also wear out fast. When you buy any fixed hubs or wheels, plan to get a pair of good track nuts for the rear -- Shimano preferred. Just calculate it as part of the cost.[/QUOTE]

The Zullo has chromed dropouts so the nuts need to be good.

Thanks,
Jeff

likebikes
08-18-2016, 01:22 PM
i have a rear surly hub laced to an open pro that I'm looking to sell if you're interested. can be spaced 120, 126, 130, 135.

staggerwing
08-18-2016, 01:49 PM
FWIW, perhaps you realize if you are running SS, you don't need a lock nut, and your SS freewheel will fit on an old school, threaded, freewheel type hub just fine. Of course, scratch that if you ever want to go fixed; those require a locknut, which is a left-hand thread.

I might even have a wheel, built around a Phils freewheel hub, in the pile.

08-18-2016, 02:50 PM
Stagger beat me to it. But if you want just a freewheel, the threading for a fixed cog and single speed freewheel and for an old fashioned 5 to 7 speed English-threaded freewheel are all the same. Chainline is a little different but you can balance that out. So you can look at all kinds of old eBay freewheel-compatible wheels. With a freewheel you can get away for road fixie use with a quick release, and you can just replace the axle in a freewheel-based road hub with a 130 mm compatible one for a few bucks (Problem Solvers makes a whole range of them) and just add a couple slotted washers to get the width exactly right.

Riding a single freewheel is a lot easier on your wheels, because you can coast or hop over railroad tracks and the like. I prefer riding a fixie because I'm used to it and like the extra control, but a single freewheel is particularly easy on the hardware.

I would have made some other suggestions for fixed gear, but at a minimum you can get away without much cost with a single freewheel. If nothing else, you can find a leftover front road wheel and end up riding around on a Campy Nuovo Record hub and a decent rim for $20-30. Check eBay and sometimes Craigslist. Even if you have wheels built up, for road use still I'd suggest buying a decent road hub and building it up -- you can get something like a Dura Ace 7400 front road hub (superb quality) in NOS condition for a song.

smontanaro
08-19-2016, 12:32 AM
I also happen to be in the market for a good year-round (including Chicago's salty streets) fixed/fixed or fixed/free hubs or wheelset for my Trek 520 commuter. The Roval rear hub exploded (in all fairness, I probably didn't treat it very well, likely ran the chain too tight for awhile). I run 700x32c Padelas, about as wide as I can go with fenders. The Rovals were 22mm wide on the brake surfaces. I'd like something a bit wider (23-24mm?) to improve the angle of attack of the cantilever brake arms. (This bike originally came with 27" wheels.)

The V-O Grand Cru PBP wheels look like the ticket, only they are probably more than what I have in the bike. Anybody know how wide the rims are?

oldpotatoe
08-19-2016, 05:33 AM
FWIW, perhaps you realize if you are running SS, you don't need a lock nut, and your SS freewheel will fit on an old school, threaded, freewheel type hub just fine. Of course, scratch that if you ever want to go fixed; those require a locknut, which is a left-hand thread.

I might even have a wheel, built around a Phils freewheel hub, in the pile.

What's left hand threaded is the lockring, not the nut and most track guys don't use a lockring so on your road setup, not really needed.

ColonelJLloyd
08-19-2016, 08:53 AM
The V-O Grand Cru PBP wheels look like the ticket, only they are probably more than what I have in the bike. Anybody know how wide the rims are?

13.2mm internal.

ColonelJLloyd
08-19-2016, 08:57 AM
What's left hand threaded is the lockring, not the nut and most track guys don't use a lockring so on your road setup, not really needed.

Well, a track is a closed course. I know a whole lot of guys who ride fixed on group rides and training. If they have fixed hubs, they use a lock ring. If they have a "ghetto fixed" setup using a freewheel hub, they put a BB on after the cog for a little extra piece of mind. As much as you use your legs as brakes on the streets there's not a good reason to bypass the lockring.

Shoeman
08-19-2016, 09:29 AM
Velomine Bike Shop will work with you on this subject just give them a call. I bought a set of Sun Rims from Velomine with these hubs (Formula) not the best but they're equal to the Wabi's. These Mavics as an example are slightly heavier than the Wabi standard wheelset, they have other Rim options as well.
http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=87_172_178&products_id=2678

jmoore
08-19-2016, 10:29 AM
Velomine Bike Shop will work with you on this subject just give them a call. I bought a set of Sun Rims from Velomine with these hubs (Formula) not the best but they're equal to the Wabi's. These Mavics as an example are slightly heavier than the Wabi standard wheelset, they have other Rim options as well.
http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=87_172_178&products_id=2678
That's a really good deal for that wheelset. Mine are CXP rims and Formula hubs. I paid $160 or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

franswa
08-19-2016, 11:01 AM
I have a pair of those wabi ultra light rims laying around if you're interested in building them up.

smontanaro
08-19-2016, 02:18 PM
I've never purchased from Ribble before. Is it just me, or does it seem odd that you have to put an item in your basket, then change the quantity? I saw no quantity option on the product page (Chrome running on Linux, should that make a difference).

Joxster
08-19-2016, 02:35 PM
Just get Campag Shamals and be done with it

oldpotatoe
08-20-2016, 06:39 AM
Just get Campag Shamals and be done with it

Fixie?

FierteTi52
08-20-2016, 07:52 AM
+1, I bought a set with 32 spoke Open Pro's from Velomine. Great shop and will re-space the hubs if needed for free

Joxster
08-20-2016, 09:18 AM
Fixie?

I'm old, Shamals are the predecessor of Pistas