PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a cycling computer

icepick_trotsky
08-18-2016, 09:23 AM
I've never used a cycling computer. Plain old Strava on my phone has met my needs, but I'm feeling the itch to get one in order to try new routes.

Here's what I'm looking for:

--Uploads directly to Strava without plugging into my computer. I don't want the extra step. Upload via wifi or bluetooth to my phone would work.

--Load routes from Strava to follow. It seems like I'm probably going to have to plug into a computer for this, right?

--Turn by turn would be cool, but I can follow a map just fine.

Things I don't care about:

--Cadence, heart rate, power readouts.

I'm kind of flexible on price if it has the features I'm looking for.

54ny77
08-18-2016, 10:05 AM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/Bike/retrocomputer.png (http://s191.photobucket.com/user/jpmz06/media/Bike/retrocomputer.png.html)

eBAUMANN
08-18-2016, 10:13 AM
if it has wifi/bluetooth, chances are it has ant+, which means it will have all those features you dont want (almost all gps computers these days have those features).

sounds like you could be fine with a garmin 520, but an 810/820/1000 will also do the same stuff, just for more $$.

ive heard mixed stuff about the wahoo elemnt but that could also be an option.

if you didnt mind pluggin in to upload, you could probably save yourself about $100 and buy a garmin 800 instead of the above mentioned as well.

jtbadge
08-18-2016, 10:17 AM
Looks like even the Garmin Edge 25 will automatically sync at $169. Battery life is suspect compared to the 520, though. (~8 hours vs ~15 claimed). I'll probably snag a 520 when I give up on my 500.

SoCalSteve
08-18-2016, 10:17 AM
Garmin Edge 1000 will give you all those features with a bigger, colored screen with the best detailed mapping. I don't use the mapping features much on mine , but use all the other features and the thing just works well. They keep updating the firmware and mapping often too.

eBAUMANN
08-18-2016, 10:20 AM
Looks like even the Garmin Edge 25 will automatically sync at $169. Battery life is suspect compared to the 520, though. (~8 hours vs ~15 claimed). I'll probably snag a 520 when I give up on my 500.

can you load routes onto a 25?

MattTuck
08-18-2016, 10:25 AM
if it has wifi/bluetooth, chances are it has ant+, which means it will have all those features you dont want (almost all gps computers these days have those features).

Not to belabor Eric's point, but the thing to remember with modern computers is that you can specify which data fields you want on the screen. So even though the device may support heart rate, cadence, power, etc., you'll be able to specify the fields you want visible as you ride. So while you won't be able to buy a computer that lacks these features, you can configure it so you won't see them.

icepick_trotsky
08-18-2016, 10:26 AM

I don't think strava supports the file format used by the 25.

Looks like 520 might be the route to go.

jtbadge
08-18-2016, 10:49 AM

Website claims you can, I would presume it's a line drawing of your route and not a full on road map. Never used one, but it looks like it's pretty much the same as the old 500.

I don't think strava supports the file format used by the 25.

Looks like 520 might be the route to go.

It links to Garmin Connect, which will automatically upload to Strava when configured. This is how the old models work- except for Bluetooth connection vs. USB.

bitpuddle
08-19-2016, 12:24 AM
I'd avoid the 520. It always felt like an experiment to me (no touch screen, etc...) and has more than its share of software issues. I'd spring for the new 820, or take a look at the Wahoo computer.