PDA

View Full Version : Touch up paint advice

Robbos
08-18-2016, 09:22 AM
Due to budgetary restrictions, I've opted to do some touch up work on my Cervelo Prodigy steel frame instead of having it professionally repainted.
I've had great success with Meguiar Scratch X for buffing out scratches and stains. White frames, especially ones that weren't well painted to begin with, get rather ugly. On contact points, like the drop outs and front derailleur tab, the paint is very mangled.
So, I was going to touch up the paint and put clear nail polish on top. But due to the fact that the dropouts get a fair workout from the skewers, am I better off clear coating the dropouts a few times after putting on the touch up paint? I'm actually wondering whether I should clear coat the whole frame after all the myriad of little touch ups are done (lots and lots of little chips in the paint). If so, do I need to prep some how for clear coat other than making sure the frame is ultra clean? Is there a brand of clear coat that you recommend? What about application techniques?
All feedback is appreciated, even the perfunctory "Just ride the damned thing'' comments.

staggerwing
08-18-2016, 09:45 AM
There is no paint that I know of that can stand up to the contact stresses supplied by a properly tightened skewer. Ironically, a softer paint, like a simple nail enamel, would likely be as good, possibly better than a hard, catalyzed paint, which will chip once damaged.

Clean up a little, dab on some touch-up, as you wish, and ride on. I wouldn't bother overcoating with clear on the dropouts.

batman1425
08-18-2016, 10:33 AM
Testors model paint on the frame wherever you find little chips. Availble in more colors than nail polish - which for my metallic white Ridley is a good thing - can't seem to find metallic white nail polish with out having to do multiple layers.

Don't try to clear the whole thing unless you have some painting experience and decent equipment. You'll need to do a lot of prep to get proper adhesion and getting a smooth, durable finish will be hard with consumer level products.

Robbos
08-18-2016, 07:34 PM
Awesome, thanks for the helpful feedback.

Hindmost
08-18-2016, 09:01 PM
I was going to say the perfunctory: just-ride-the-damn-thing, but you took that away.

That's all there is? I would assemble it as-is, put a little dab of white paint on the right seat stay, and call it good.