PDA

View Full Version : Starting your own cycling group

Dave B
08-18-2016, 08:39 AM
I have written this so many times and cannot seem to express my query very well. It keeps coming out pathetic sounding. It also might just be pathetic. Too touchy feely.

I need help...as i am having one of those thoughts that needs other's to say, "Yeah this sounds fun here is what I did...or...who effin' cares just ride your bike." I figure most folks will fall into the latter.

Soooo, I keep have this reoccurring idea of wanting to start my own cycling "club" or group of cycling folks to hang with.

Yes, i know the first question is why do you need a club to hang with others. Well, you don't, but i have tried to find a group of cyclists around where I am (clubs and so on) and often the vibe is waaaay too serious or they are only focused on racing, or I have to behave a specific way. Just so much of others telling me how to enjoy or how to ride a certain way. Mostly roadies, which is perfectly fine, but in my limited experience the attitude has been a bit off putting. Just lack of guys/gals who enjoy riding, actually like fun, or are there to show how dominant they can be on a bike. All of these have their purpose, but I just am not sure that is the purpose for why I ride.

I was talking with one such fella via email (from a local bike shop) and when I asked if they actually liked to have fun he said, "we are here to get better and train, if you want to have fun go start your own club."

So, I am thinking about doing just that, but it seems unusual to have my own club, just to have my own club as it would be a club of one for who knows how long. I could just ride on my own. This is where the idea won't go away. my best pals and riding buddies are 2 hours away and we just don't get together as often as I would like.

It must be that I want to belong...to some sort of group that shares a similar way of doing/looking at things. Maybe we race together maybe we just ride and hang out and so on.

This place fills some of that, but it is hard to ride with folks I think I would dig as they live on the coasts and I am stuck in Indiana. I know this all sounds a bit childish, but remember I live in a very small bubble of education and my world revolves around 12 year olds, so maybe I too think that way.

I guess starting something just sounds fun, but that is where the idea takes off and I cannot get perspective. How do I get people to know about the club? Do we create a kit to wear? why do we need a kit (but it does sound fun to make one up)? Do we register with USA cycling? Why the heck would we register as it just takes the fun club and turns it into something a bit more serious. Is this lame?

I guess I am just looking for folks who might have done exactly what I am thinking of. I know I am opening myself up for criticism, but I just cannot get this odd feeling out of my head. Has anyone ever been through this and what action did you take to find what you were looking for.

maybe all of this is lame and is some deep rooted psychological need to fit in. I have no idea, I just cannot stop my mind from focusing on this scenario.

Be kind, I get it may seem infantile, but I guess I have an itch that I cannot figure how to scratch or some other poignant cliche' that explains it better.

Nooch
08-18-2016, 08:50 AM

Gsinill
08-18-2016, 08:53 AM
I am a loner when it comes to cycling but I once met a guy while taking a break on one of my rides and we started talking.
He apparently did exactly what you are trying to do for the same reasons using MeetUp.com.

Dave B
08-18-2016, 09:00 AM
I am a loner when it comes to cycling but I once met a guy while taking a break on one of my rides and we started talking.
He apparently did exactly what you are trying to do for the same reasons using MeetUp.com.

That's cool. Will look into it...as long as it isn't a singles thing or a new Dolly Madison site or whatever that was called. My wife would be pissed...and she is German so you know it can get bad! :eek:;)

Birddog
08-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Around here, clubs/teams are always in the process of cannibalizing each other. One just announced their demise after a year long battle for relevance. The ebb and flow of the members is interesting to watch from afar. As for me and my pals, we are the aging outcasts of the local clubs. Our average age is probably mid 60 and we have all quit the testosterone fueled hammerfests. We are more into smelling the roses, telling jokes and looking for opportunities to rib another member. Another rider from one of the A groups referred to us as the prostrate posse and that doesn't bother any of us in the least.

My advice would be to ride with the hammerheads and seek out other like minded riders who are more disposed to your style of riding. Most of my group has known each other for about 20 years and we go on out of state trips, meet socially and give each other hell at every opportunity. We are the product of evolution. There have have been some interlopers over the years but Darwinian principles have always weeded them out. Most of us (except one who is 40 miles away) live within about 5 miles of each other and that has helped too.Geography and personality are probably the two main ingredients of our little groups recipe for success.

Dave B
08-18-2016, 09:07 AM
Around here, clubs/teams are always in the process of cannibalizing each other. One just announced their demise after a year long battle for relevance. The ebb and flow of the members is interesting to watch from afar. As for me and my pals, we are the aging outcasts of the local clubs. Our average age is probably mid 60 and we have all quit the testosterone fueled hammerfests. We are more into smelling the roses, telling jokes and looking for opportunities to rib another member. Another rider from one of the A groups referred to us as the prostrate posse and that doesn't bother any of us in the least.

My advice would be to ride with the hammerheads and seek out other like minded riders who are more disposed to your style of riding. Most of my group has known each other for about 20 years and we go on out of state trips, meet socially and give each other hell at every opportunity. We are the product of evolution. There have have been some interlopers over the years but Darwinian principles have always weeded them out. Most of us (except one who is 40 miles away) live within about 5 miles of each other and that has helped too.Geography and personality are probably the two main ingredients of our little groups recipe for success.

While not 60 yet, this is what I am talking about.

Thanks man

YesNdeed
08-18-2016, 09:09 AM
FWIW, I think it's a fantastic idea (I read the original post)(and I think you should repost it). Myself and two other gents started a group, more of a race group/team a few years back, and we are a few riders stronger than we were, and our values remain the same. There are several groups around town that don't appeal to me, and I love the solidarity aspect of having like minded riders to join me for small group rides, and sometimes we join large ones. We have kits, basically to quickly and easily identify one another in race circumstances, but it also promotes that solidarity. Humility is one of our common bonds, and throughout my team there is a tremendous wealth of riding experience, which I value dearly. After all, I will probably always consider myself new to riding my bike, no matter how long I've been doing it.

Couple things...
Consistency. Standing rides at a time you choose. Chances are, no one will show up for rides they think aren't happening.
Email list serve, web based group, Facebook...whatever way you choose to communicate to fellow riders, use it well and often.
Like riding with certain people? Invite'm! I like the idea of open rides, invite only rides may prompt that stuffiness (my word) you spoke of. This is your ride, and those that want to join you will surely appear. And, chances are they'll think a bit like you.
Another thought on kits. I used to ride with the Santa Fe Road Riders, and we believe the locals treated us better out on the road, because they could clearly see we were locals too!

Here's a good example a group I don't ride with, but am very fond of. I would bet you a doppio it began with the same idea you are having. http://www.nmts.org

Ok, I think that's long enough. Good luck with this inspiring idea!

Gsinill
08-18-2016, 09:53 AM
That's cool. Will look into it...as long as it isn't a singles thing or a new Dolly Madison site or whatever that was called. My wife would be pissed...and she is German so you know it can get bad! :eek:;)

LOL, the exact same thought went through my head when the gentleman mentioned MeetUp.com. :beer:

kppolich
08-18-2016, 10:39 AM
I am also planning on starting a group only due to the fact that my work schedule doesn't work with the 2-3 group rides that are already established throughout the week. The steps I have been taking are as follows:

1. Start small with a few people and meet at a local shop to help get the word out.
2. Start/End near food/drink for that added social aspect.
3. Follow some more local people on Strava
4. Name a few of your rides "Looking to start a group ride on Wednesdays at 5:00PM"
5.Start talking to riders you pass and mention the group you are trying to start. Of course a business card or something with the details of the group/rides would be helpful because who can really remember specifics about anything while riding a bike and talking at the same time.

FlashUNC
08-18-2016, 10:49 AM
Drop these guys a line for some ideas. Shawn Moseley at 36th St started the group about 5 years ago from scratch, and its grown into quite the notable local club in Charlotte. Has a wide variety of riders and approaches, and pretty welcoming overall.

http://36thstreetracing.com/

Mzilliox
08-18-2016, 10:52 AM
I'm going through something similar to you maybe...? I've been cycling like this for a bit more than a year. I ride almost all my rides solo, sometimes i ride with my wife. I have maybe ridden with others 10 times, including 3 group rides. I had the same experience where it seems group riders aren't riding to have fun...?? They are so serious about not breaking gaps, about keeping speed up, etc etc.

i ride to feel 12 again, i ride to whoop and holler, i ride to fly like a bird.
yeah i like riding fast, and i like getting faster, but i don't like being so serious. safety is one thing, but cmon. theres got to be some cats out there who want to go thrash some gravel, explore new routes, and generally just behave like a child at times.

surely not every cyclist wants to stare at my ass or have me staring at his for 2 hours and 40 miles. i mean seat clusters are cool and all, but i prefer to look at the scenery.

If you were in my town, i'd ride with ya

carpediemracing
08-18-2016, 10:58 AM
You don't have to have a club per se, although I suppose it would help with any potential liability etc.

A friend of mine on the left coast rides with a few guys regularly. I think they call it the Gentleman's Ride. No club, just a meet and ride thing. No jerseys or anything, but also no legal stuff. I think they've been riding 4 or 5 years now.

The thing is that it'll be people that think similarly to you. It might be new riders, like maybe even colleagues from work.

makoti
08-18-2016, 11:09 AM

Meetup can be a singles thing, but in your description you can state your intentions & just say that this is more for riding for the pure enjoyment of it. After a few rides, I think the group will get the vibe you are trying for.

jimmythefly
08-18-2016, 02:13 PM
Consistency. Standing rides at a time you choose. Chances are, no one will show up for rides they think aren't happening.
Email list serve, web based group, Facebook...whatever way you choose to communicate to fellow riders, use it well and often.

These are good. I ride with a group that we jokingly describe as a drinking club with a biking problem. We ride in the city, run-what-ya-brung type club that is more about urban exploration of fun/different routes than outright miles.

State a start time and location, and do it, every week, rain or shine. Invite folks specifically or just post up on Facebook or whatever, but make it CONSISTENT and post a pic or two from the ride or aftermath.

You might get nobody, or only a rider or two. Whatever, if you are always there and always ride, it will grow.

Dave B
08-19-2016, 09:42 AM
there is a lot of good info here and it is tremendously appreciated.

Thank you fellas