PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley recommendations requested.

Tickdoc
08-17-2016, 07:11 PM
Met a friend last weekend who rides a lot. She's done several stp rides, loves long rides, and is in great shape.

We've talked bike riding before, but always about how fun it is to ride and how we need to ride together some day soon.

We've just never discussed bikes in general. I mean,I'm always proud to show off mine, but don't want to bore someone not interested.

So the discussion turns to what kind of bike do you ride, and she sheepishly says she rides a hybrid.

Are you f'ing kidding me? Was my response.

Her old giant is just all she knows. She notices that no one else rides the same type, but is happy and content.

I just can't leave it alone.

Anyone know a decent shop/fitter in the Berkeley area that she can go to?

FlashUNC
08-17-2016, 07:14 PM
Berkeley Cycle Works. Mike Britton runs the shop. Good dude, I do his Sunday morning ride.

I'd recommend it as he works with a lot of hybrid/commuter types and folks stepping into their first full road bike. Also a Giant shop.

And of course our own Elefantino at the Performance on University. Good peeps there.

jtakeda
08-17-2016, 07:17 PM
Budget?

Montano Velo for a BIKE. I'm talkin moots, pegoretti etc.

Used? King kog or spoke or craigslist.

Production good stuff I'd go to stone Cyclery in alameda. Waterford, Gunnar, bob Jackson. If you're lucky they'll have an eisentraut.

Edit. To add MV does fitting too

Ralph
08-17-2016, 07:23 PM
Not knowing either of your ages or dating/marriage status....but here goes.

As an old guy.....who has been married twice (31 years to this one).....and did a lot of dating between wives......the last thing I would do is tell her she needs a better (in your opinion) bike. Just ride with her. Hybrid riders are capable of long rides. If she brings it up about a more aero position bike (can still be cheap and be fine), then you can steer her toward a shop. In meantime, just ride with her. She will notice how you handle this.

Tickdoc
08-17-2016, 07:45 PM
Not knowing either of your ages or dating/marriage status....but here goes.

As an old guy.....who has been married twice (31 years to this one).....and did a lot of dating between wives......the last thing I would do is tell her she needs a better (in your opinion) bike. Just ride with her. Hybrid riders are capable of long rides. If she brings it up about a more aero position bike (can still be cheap and be fine), then you can steer her toward a shop. In meantime, just ride with her. She will notice how you handle this.

She's a family friend. Age about 55, skinny like a beanpole.

Tickdoc
08-17-2016, 07:46 PM
Budget?

Montano Velo for a BIKE. I'm talkin moots, pegoretti etc.

Used? King kog or spoke or craigslist.

Production good stuff I'd go to stone Cyclery in alameda. Waterford, Gunnar, bob Jackson. If you're lucky they'll have an eisentraut.

Edit. To add MV does fitting too

Budget unknown. She has plenty of dinero, but I don't know what she wants to spend.

Tickdoc
08-17-2016, 07:46 PM
Berkeley Cycle Works. Mike Britton runs the shop. Good dude, I do his Sunday morning ride.

I'd recommend it as he works with a lot of hybrid/commuter types and folks stepping into their first full road bike. Also a Giant shop.

And of course our own Elefantino at the Performance on University. Good peeps there.

Most excellent and thank you, I'll pass it on.

gdw
08-17-2016, 07:57 PM
Does she want a new bike or is she happy with the hybrid?

Tickdoc
08-17-2016, 08:12 PM
Oh she's fine, I'm the one that wants her to have a new bike ;-)

No, she just wonders what the difference would be. I told her she would probably be faster and she would have multiple hand positions which may help her comfort on longer rides.

Elefantino
08-17-2016, 08:25 PM
Have her give me a call at Performance (510-725-4540). I do all our road fittings.

And thanks to Flash/Joe for the shoutout.

Tickdoc
08-17-2016, 08:43 PM
Have her give me a call at Performance (510-725-4540). I do all our road fittings.

And thanks to Flash/Joe for the shoutout.

Will do!

enr1co
08-17-2016, 11:11 PM
After her fitting, steer her towards a new set of tubulars ;)