PDA

View Full Version : Campy 8-spd to 10-spd upgrade

Budwhyzuur
07-10-2006, 05:45 AM
Looking to do a complete upgrade of my early 90's era Colorado II frame from Campy 8-spd to 10-spd, including cranks, BB, derailleurs, wheels, etc. Regarding the new rear wheel and cassette, will I have any problem with the rear dropout spacing on my older frame, or is it basically plug-and-play?

My LBS, who is a Serotta dealer, didn't indicate that I would have any problems with my upgrade. However, I've read on other forums (not Serotta specific) about having to spread the dropouts on older bike frames in order to accomodate the newer 10-spd cassettes.

Thanks for any feedback.

Serotta PETE
07-10-2006, 05:56 AM
Since it is already an 8 speed, you will not have any problems. (assume 8 speed rear hub drops right in.)

Go to Branford bike and they have some articles on what parts you can keep and not keep. Also there is a CHORUS 10 speed for sale on this forum. (not mine)

Good riding.

PETE

Dave
07-10-2006, 08:17 AM
The brakes might be the only parts worth keeping and depending on where you buy, a whole new groupo may cost no more (with the groupo discount). Replacement chainrings can cost nearly as much as an aluminum campy crank on sale.

Don't bother rebuilding 8-speed levers - the newer models have been greatly improved with regard to both shape (comfort) and internal function.

FWIW, Campy will soon replace all of their cranks and BBs with an entirely new design. Might be worth waiting for.

I've been buying tires and campy parts from www.11speed.com this year. The prices are about as low as you'll find, although they don't have a complete selection.