PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Frame Repairs

RedRider
08-17-2016, 11:32 AM
For those in need of repairs on a Serotta steel or titanium frame I would suggest Bilenky Cycle Works in Philadelphia. Steve has some stock of the tubing and I'm pretty sure he bought the swaging machine from the Serotta factory. Bilinky's reputation is outstanding.
I'm bringing this up because Kelly Bedford is focusing on K Bedford frames and no longer doing any Serotta repairs.

SoCalSteve
08-17-2016, 11:58 AM
For those in need of repairs on a Serotta steel or titanium frame I would suggest Bilenky Cycle Works in Philadelphia. Steve has some stock of the tubing and I'm pretty sure he bought the swaging machine from the Serotta factory. Bilinky's reputation is outstanding.
I'm bringing this up because Kelly Bedford is focusing on K Bedford frames and no longer doing any Serotta repairs.

Where would you suggest people go in need of repair on their carbon Serotta's? And/or carbon and Ti versions?

Thank you!

Neil
08-17-2016, 03:03 PM
Interesting - I've got five swaged seat tubes on the shelf "just in case", do you know if Bilenkey will swage-to-order as it were?

false_Aest
08-17-2016, 03:26 PM
Where would you suggest people go in need of repair on their carbon Serotta's? And/or carbon and Ti versions?

Thank you!

Bruh,

On the left it's Calfee.

David Kirk
08-17-2016, 06:35 PM
If it's lugged or filleted I would be happy to take a look. I have a real soft spot for these bikes and want to keep them on the road.

dave

Peter P.
08-17-2016, 09:32 PM
Don't count out your favorite framebuilder for a Serotta repair.

I would imagine in business networking, some framebuilders know who has a stock of Serotta tubes and it wouldn't surprise me they swap and sell among themselves; money is money after all.

SoCalSteve
08-17-2016, 09:47 PM
Bruh,

On the left it's Calfee.

Facing which direction? It's on the right looking out from my place.....:)

RedRider
08-18-2016, 11:00 AM
If it's lugged or filleted I would be happy to take a look. I have a real soft spot for these bikes and want to keep them on the road.

dave

My intention of this post was to let the Paceline know Kelly Bedford was no longer doing Serotta repairs.
Dave Kirk is most certainly on the short (very) list of framebuilders that I would recommend.

Regarding Carbon repairs, that's another story. All the carbon tubes, seatstays and forks were proprietary and no longer available. At Serotta we replaced rather than repaired the tubes or stays. Cracked or damaged forks should always be replaced.
The real Carbon Guru is Mike Lopez and since he designed and manufactured all the Serotta carbon I will suggest you reach out to him regarding repair suggestions.

Ti_on_Steel
08-18-2016, 01:43 PM
I bent my Serotta CDA in a crash a year or two ago, knocking the rear triangle out of alignment. I sent it up to Bilenky who did a very nice job straightening it out. They were very easy to work with, and the price was reasonable.

559Rando
08-18-2016, 04:49 PM
I wasn't a rabid Serotta fan, so forgive the question if you think the answer is too basic and obvious: what's the deal with Serotta tubing? Why not sub in a Reynolds/Columbus/TrueTemper/Nova tube of the same or similar profile and diameter?

As I did a quick search before posting this, I came across this site: http://www.serottaparts.com/. Y'all know about 'em?

DarkStar
08-18-2016, 07:00 PM
Very good to hear, have a Colorado Ti collecting dust because I could not find anyone willing to repair a crack at the ST/TT junction.

happycampyer
08-18-2016, 08:09 PM
I wasn't a rabid Serotta fan, so forgive the question if you think the answer is too basic and obvious: what's the deal with Serotta tubing? Why not sub in a Reynolds/Columbus/TrueTemper/Nova tube of the same or similar profile and diameter?

As I did a quick search before posting this, I came across this site: http://www.serottaparts.com/. Y'all know about 'em?The complication is that, with some exceptions (typically "lower-end" models), Serotta manipulated its tubing pretty substantially. On the Legend, for example, the only two tubes that have a constant diameter are the headtube and the bottom bracket. And both of those are machined to some degree (the headtube is asymmetrically machined, which is not a trivial exercise).

I discovered a crack in the headtube of my Uniscasi ST (a coupled Legend ST) and had a very difficult time finding someone who had the fixtures, tooling and expertise to reproduce the headtube.

I want to second Dave Kirk as a source. I had a fork-less CSi, and Dave made a beautiful fork with a period-correct crown to match the frame. It pained me to send it off to paint and cover up the magnificent craftsmanship.

don compton
08-18-2016, 08:21 PM
This thread brings back memories of my C111 I had about ten years ago. A great combination of smooth ride and great handling. It wouldn't fit me today, but I am sure , if they were still around, they could have made a bike that would fit me today.:beer:

572cv
08-18-2016, 08:34 PM
Bilenky does a first class job. I had two Serottas fitted with couplers there, and the welds were impeccable. Further the placement of the couplers had to be clever on one of the bikes, but they figured that out and followed through.

I consider them completely trustworthy.

I bet that all of the frame builders mentioned would give you great advice, and tell you whether they could do the job properly and as well whether it ought, in their opinion, to be done.

559Rando
08-18-2016, 10:15 PM
It's probably worth mentioning that Bob K (Bantam in Portland, OR) worked for (managed?) Bilenky and would be a good choice for left coasters.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk