PDA

View Full Version : Cyclocross Tire opinion: CLEMENT MXP vs FMB Gripo XL

waypastfast
08-17-2016, 09:39 AM
Hi there, for the past 2 seasons I have been running the Clement MXP tubular. Great tire for all-round use up here in Alberta. I am looking at some different options for the upcoming season. I was thinking of these and would like some input on people who have run them.

http://www.fmbtires.com/fmb_cotton_gripo_XL.htm

And if you would have any other suggestions for a good tire of this style. I like something with good side knobs for the corning ability. Thanks!

David Tollefson
08-17-2016, 09:42 AM
Some users across the hall have stated that the FMB's aren't up to everyday training use.

waypastfast
08-17-2016, 09:48 AM
I should mention these will be my race tires only. I have a set of clinchers I ride for day to day use. If that makes any difference :p

sandyrs
08-17-2016, 10:30 AM
Some users across the hall have stated that the FMB's aren't up to everyday training use.

Nobody should be training on cyclocross tubulars, period...

eBAUMANN
08-17-2016, 10:34 AM

Agreed.

The ride quality of an FMB tire is not even worth comparing to a Clement.
FMB's are the best riding tires I have raced on...and I have raced pretty much everything.

That said, I have not ridden a Gripo XL but I would expect it to perform quite well.

I like MXP's too, dont get me wrong, its just really REALLY hard to beat the ride quality of an FMB tire.

mtb_frk
08-17-2016, 01:12 PM
The gripos were originally billed as a mud tire. Now they have the super mud. I have a set of gripos, and I guess I think of them as slightly more grippy than the ssc, but not as much as the super mud. So maybe on those muddy days that aren't deep mud they would be ideal.

The ride FMB tires is something else. I've only ever ridden challenge and Tufo, and there is no comparison.

zank
08-17-2016, 03:08 PM

I guess I come at it from the other direction. I want to train on what I am going to race on to get a solid feel for the equipment and know what to expect on race day.

eBAUMANN
08-17-2016, 04:15 PM
I guess I come at it from the other direction. I want to train on what I am going to race on to get a solid feel for the equipment and know what to expect on race day.

Fair point...if you have the time/cash to support that sorta system.

It would just suck to:

A) flat a $$$ tire NOT racing
B) flat a $$$ tire in a race because of excess wear incurred from non-race use

Guess it depends how/how much you train for cx.
My "training" is almost exclusively trail riding for tech practice and road riding for power/fitness.
Would suck to flat a tubie on the way to the trails or on the trails miles from home.

zank
08-17-2016, 04:18 PM
No doubt. I would probably take a different approach in that case too. We usually have a training race or session at a park or school, so we just drive there after work. Clinchers make total sense if you are doing longer rides without spare wheels in the trunk.

livingminimal
08-18-2016, 09:29 AM

this.

Zoodles
08-18-2016, 10:26 AM
I use my file treads for trails etc.. but i almost always do our weeknight training race on tubs not only to gain familiarity but also to get my money's worth. I usually lose the base tape or sidewalls (treated yes) before flatting or wearing the tread. Even with care they don't seem to last more than 2-3 seasons, may as well use them.

eBAUMANN
08-18-2016, 10:31 AM
I use my file treads for trails etc.. but i almost always do our weeknight training race on tubs not only to gain familiarity but also to get my money's worth. I usually lose the base tape or sidewalls (treated yes) before flatting or wearing the tread. Even with care they don't seem to last more than 2-3 seasons, may as well use them.

depends how much you race and what tires you are using, but if you are getting 2-3 seasons out of em you are doing pretty damn good in my book.

sandyrs
08-18-2016, 11:35 AM
No doubt. I would probably take a different approach in that case too. We usually have a training race or session at a park or school, so we just drive there after work. Clinchers make total sense if you are doing longer rides without spare wheels in the trunk.

I'm in Eric's situation but I agree on this one. When I said nobody should be training on tubulars I was lumping training races/sessions in with "racing" as opposed to "training."

Also, edit: back to the OP, FMB all the way!

Gummee
08-18-2016, 08:54 PM
Why not? I pretty much always ride and race on tubulars.

Those Clements are pretty tough tires. Don't wear very quickly at all. Not the most supple sidewalls tho

I've ridden the Grippos in their original form (Racing Ralphs) and they work well for grassy races, but don't really do well in anything other than that. For me, they work better as a rear tire than a front.

M

eBAUMANN
08-18-2016, 09:03 PM
Why not? I pretty much always ride and race on tubulars.

Because they are expensive and a PITA to mount/remove.
If I'm flatting a tubie its gonna be in a race, period, end of story.

I don't want to have to emergency repair/reglue/etc for a race on saturday after flatting my tire at a wednesday practice.

Most tubular tires come in a clincher version so its pretty easy to just use clinchers for all non-race purposes then switch em over when it counts.

gavingould
08-21-2016, 08:49 PM
FMBs are pretty different from the Clements.
i've ridden and raced both, the FMBs are probably less durable but much more supple and grippy.
i rode the Gripo XL as my "regular conditions" race tires, have Super Muds for... well, when it's muddy.

Gummee
08-22-2016, 11:23 AM
Because they are expensive and a PITA to mount/remove.
If I'm flatting a tubie its gonna be in a race, period, end of story.

I don't want to have to emergency repair/reglue/etc for a race on saturday after flatting my tire at a wednesday practice.

Most tubular tires come in a clincher version so its pretty easy to just use clinchers for all non-race purposes then switch em over when it counts.
That's why last year's* race tires are this year's practice tires.

I can't ride the same pressures or get the same feel on clinchers, so I'll take my chances with tubulars.

As a note: I'm pretty much always on tubulars on gravel rides. Lots less chance of a pinch flat... I think I punctured last Wed tho. I'll stick some sealant in the rear and see what happens.

M

*or the year before, depending on how they look

chiasticon
08-22-2016, 11:35 AM
That's why last year's* race tires are this year's practice tires.

I can't ride the same pressures or get the same feel on clinchers, so I'll take my chances with tubulars.yeah, I've practiced on tubs before. in some cases because I kept trying to kill the tires (wheels came with tires, not a huge fan of the tread but they were glued very well) and in others because I had just glued the tires and wanted to test them out before racing them.

but in general, I prefer practicing on clinchers. one, because you can ride to practice without destroying a $150 tire. two, because if you can corner well on a clincher at 35 psi, you can corner even better on a tub (of similar tread) at 25 psi. and three, because I'm chasing guys who are running clinchers. running tubs might give me an "advantage" but really I'm cheating myself. practice is meant to improve your skills, after all.

crossjunkee
08-22-2016, 12:09 PM
I've been very happy with MXP's for the last 2 seasons. This will be my 3rd. I ride them all the time, training, riding around, racing, you name it. I also use Orange sealant in them.