PDA

View Full Version : OT: Minneapolis/St. Paul Recommendations

buldogge
08-16-2016, 08:32 PM
Hey Guys...Making a last minute trip to MSP this Th-Sa, with the family in tow.

Looking for any/all recommendations for food destinations, must-see sights, local flavor, etc.

Guess I will just grab a room downtown, since we don't know where will be going yet. We're driving, so we'll have the car, if needed.

We prefer "local flavor" and like to explore interesting neighborhoods...think, "Could I live here?".

Foodwise, wouldn't mind checking out Hmong/Laotian (since we don't have many here) and Somali (ditto)...Like to compare/contrast them to Vietnamese and Ethiopian/Eritrean.

Coffee?

Swedish bakery/breakfast joints?

Museums/Theatre/etc?

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

thirdgenbird
08-16-2016, 09:41 PM
One on one
Angry catfish

Good bikes and good coffee at both locations.

DAG
08-16-2016, 10:47 PM
Home of the mighty Q.

Sadly, you just missed the Fringe Festival. And the Babes in Bikeland Alleycat is the 27th.

Indeed and Surly have nice brewpubs; Minnesota Science museum is fun, as is the Sculpture Garden in Loring Park. The Minneapolis Institute of Arts has some nice collections- you could check what the current touring show is. The U of M (Weisman) has an art museum as well as natural history collections.

And Angry Catfish has some very nice wall art. Although I like the Hub Co-ops and Freewheel.

You should post if you find some nice Somali; I haven't ventured into that type of restaurant much.

buldogge
08-16-2016, 10:52 PM
Bike oriented stuff will most likely be small to nil on this little jaunt.

Having said that, I will probably grab a look-see and coffee @ Angry Catfish.

How about kayaking rental on a lake in the city? Lake Calhoun...check out Uptown at the same time??

Supposedly Somali to be had @/near the Midtown Global Market (Safari or Hamdi).

If we're not going to MOA or the airport (and we're not), does the Metro system get us anywhere "decent"?

TA
-Mark

oliver1850
08-16-2016, 10:58 PM
WILCO at Hall's Island, 4:30 PM on Saturday. Pricey.

buldogge
08-16-2016, 11:13 PM
Mark...You should know better, when using that final word! :p

-Mark

cadence90
08-16-2016, 11:26 PM
Does Garrison Keillor still do "Prairie Home Companion" live in that park in the summer?

The only time I have ever been to Minn./St. Paul (many years ago) my local friends took me there. It was fantastic.

oliver1850
08-16-2016, 11:30 PM
Mark...You should know better, when using that final word! :p

-Mark

I'll pay for Nigel's ticket if that helps. Still pricey but it would surely be a nice way to spend the evening. You can give Nigel a lot of Midwest rock history, reinforced by seeing a live show. Maybe he has no interest, but he might remember it in a good light in ten or twenty years.

gomango
08-16-2016, 11:41 PM

Now we're talking. :)

That's where we'll be.

FWIW I would do the kayaks/paddleboards at Nokomis Lake.

Much shorter lines than Calhoun.

While there, you are minutes from Angry Catfish if you choose.

Better yet, head over to Sea Salt at Minnehaha Falls.

Great sea food and Minnesota flavor.

Coffee?

Definitely Kopplins in St. Paul or Shish on Grand Avenue.

Best Turkish coffee by far at Shish.

As far as outdoors stores go, I'd visit Midwest Mountaineering.

Close to DT Mpls., it's the mother lode for my favorite gear.

I'll be around if you need other suggestions.

oliver1850
08-17-2016, 12:18 AM

That's where we'll be.

I'm with you in spirit. Wish I had the energy to make the trip.

providence
08-17-2016, 06:16 AM
Pretty good bakery right next door to Angry Catfish if you go that way.

Surly Brewing is probably a must see if you like beer. Food is very good there as well. Tattersall Distillery if you want a great cocktail- would recommend the Residency.

I'd spend some time around Minnehaha Falls and head to Sea Salt like Grady suggested.

Ramen has really taken off in the metro if you're into it.

Buttered Tin is a favorite spot for us for breakfast.

gomango
08-17-2016, 06:36 AM

Surly Brewing is probably a must see if you like beer. Food is very good there as well. Tattersall Distillery if you want a great cocktail- would recommend the Residency.

I'd spend some time around Minnehaha Falls and head to Sea Salt like Grady suggested.

Buttered Tin is very good. :)

As for Hmong/Hispanic/Ethiopian/Somali food, you are in luck.

All you have to do is hop on the light rail to St. Paul and there will be a ton of restaurants accessible by the "Green Line."

Let me know and I would be happy to make recommendations. We actually live in St. Paul, right across the river from Minneapolis.

brownhound
08-17-2016, 07:46 AM
Does Garrison Keillor still do "Prairie Home Companion" live in that park in the summer?

Nope. Just retired from all shows everywhere. And had long since moved out of that mode.

buldogge
08-17-2016, 10:49 AM
Lot of good stuff guys...I've got some questions and comments, but gotta run.

I'll post in a bit...

Thanks again,
-Mark

Ken Robb
08-17-2016, 11:31 AM
Hell's Kitchen for breakfast and Bank for upscale dinner in a beautiful setting. It's worth a trip just to take a look at the room even if you don't have a drink or a meal.

ColonelJLloyd
08-17-2016, 02:23 PM

Kurt Vile opening. Worth it.

CDollarsign
08-17-2016, 02:26 PM
Spyhouse for coffee! Bachelor Farmer for dinner!

Last time I went we stayed at the W downtown and it was really cool. Too much cool stuff to list - I love Minneapolis.

Getting around on the bike share is really easy and fun as well...

buldogge
08-17-2016, 11:01 PM
Nigel is currently most interested in...I kid you not...dance/electronic music. :help:

I'll pay for Nigel's ticket if that helps. Still pricey but it would surely be a nice way to spend the evening. You can give Nigel a lot of Midwest rock history, reinforced by seeing a live show. Maybe he has no interest, but he might remember it in a good light in ten or twenty years.

Lake Nokomis it is, then.

Would like to check out Sea Salt, and the Falls, for sure.

That's where we'll be.

FWIW I would do the kayaks/paddleboards at Nokomis Lake.

Much shorter lines than Calhoun.

While there, you are minutes from Angry Catfish if you choose.

Better yet, head over to Sea Salt at Minnehaha Falls.

Great sea food and Minnesota flavor.

Coffee?

Definitely Kopplins in St. Paul or Shish on Grand Avenue.

Best Turkish coffee by far at Shish.

As far as outdoors stores go, I'd visit Midwest Mountaineering.

Close to DT Mpls., it's the mother lode for my favorite gear.

I'll be around if you need other suggestions.

Whole family loves the Ramen...what is the "best" in MSP, IYHO???

buldogge
08-17-2016, 11:02 PM
Grady...Would like to check out the Metro system...Would love some St. Paul suggestions, food and neighborhoods to check out...near the line.

Buttered Tin is very good. :)

As for Hmong/Hispanic/Ethiopian/Somali food, you are in luck.

All you have to do is hop on the light rail to St. Paul and there will be a ton of restaurants accessible by the "Green Line."

Let me know and I would be happy to make recommendations. We actually live in St. Paul, right across the river from Minneapolis.

I've seen Hell's Kitchen mentioned quite a bit...looks like we should check it out.

Hell's Kitchen for breakfast and Bank for upscale dinner in a beautiful setting. It's worth a trip just to take a look at the room even if you don't have a drink or a meal.

buldogge
08-17-2016, 11:08 PM
Thanx Colin...I'll look into both of these.

Bachelor Farmer looks great...no reservations available before 9:15 (iffy with the 10yo)...could try a walk-in, I suppose.

I just took the Priceline route, and ended up at the Radisson Blu DT...I'm sure it will be fine.

-Mark

Spyhouse for coffee! Bachelor Farmer for dinner!

Last time I went we stayed at the W downtown and it was really cool. Too much cool stuff to list - I love Minneapolis.

Getting around on the bike share is really easy and fun as well...

buldogge
08-17-2016, 11:16 PM
Also...Any recommendations for Swedish (retro- or neo-...breakfast, lunch, or dinner...as long as its "accessible"...high-end with the 10yo is only so-so. He's a decent eater/adventurer...but...not worth the effort/expense).

TA
-Mark

twolve
08-17-2016, 11:40 PM
In Minneapolis...

For bakeries, my favorite is Patisserie 46; it is our best to offer. Another great bakery is Rustica, and they also sell Dogwood coffee (which I recommend). Also Glam Doll is very unique and tasty donut shop, but I prefer Bogarts for donuts.

I live near Eat Street so I am biased (and spoiled). I have heard Daalo Grill is very good for somali food. Quang's Restaurant is a vietnamese place and my favorite on Eat Street. Glam Doll is also close. Nearby is the Minnesota Art Institute, which is free and a lot of fun. I don't know if you're into vegan/raw food, but even if you are not, the food and coconut smoothies at Ecopolitan (near by) make it one of my restaurants in the cities.

For coffee, Five Watt Coffee is awesome. Bull Run is also good, and Dogwood as mentioned above.

Ingebretsen's is on Lake Street and close to the Global Market. I don't frequent many Swedish bakeries, but this is the best I can recommend because it's the only one I've been to.

In terms of a 10 y/o, Linden Hills is a lot of fun. There's Creative Kidstuff and Wild Rumpus, which is my favorite bookstore ever. Sebastian Joe's has great ice cream and Zumbro's is wonderful for breakfast or lunch.

I think an underrated part of the city is the Eloise Butler Wildflower Garden and the nearby Quaking Bog in Theodore Wirth. They are slightly difficult to get to, but are truly beautiful and unique in the middle of a city like this.

As you can probably tell, I live and grew up in Minneapolis. I hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions!

acoffin
08-18-2016, 12:59 AM

Just got back from the Wilco show here in St Louis. Great show, and they dug way back in the Tweedy archives. Highly recommend if anyone gets the chance.

I hope to check this thread out again in the next twelve months. My wife hits the job market next year, and Minneapolis tops our list of places to live.

aingeru
08-18-2016, 10:03 AM
What about visiting Chris Kvale?

gomango
08-18-2016, 12:30 PM
What about visiting Chris Kvale?

If he's in town right now.

Spends time up north in summer.

gomango
08-18-2016, 12:43 PM
Grady...Would like to check out the Metro system...Would love some St. Paul suggestions, food and neighborhoods to check out...near the line.

I've seen Hell's Kitchen mentioned quite a bit...looks like we should check it out.

The Green Line along University Avenue gives you a great view of the cities. DT Mpls, UofMn, the state Capitol, Mississippi river, DT St.Paul and the list goes on.

Cheap thrills and so very easy to use. I love the restaurants along University. There is an ethnic diversity that is quite rich. Vietnamese, Hispanic/Latino, Hmongh, Laotian, Ethiopian, Somali etc.

We just dined at Homi last week. My wife is fluent in Spanish and she feels so at home here. Home style Mexican. http://www.homirestaurant.com/

You can take the line into DT St. Paul and visit the St. Paul farmers market. Always fun on the weekend. Saint Dinette is a great DT St. Paul restaurant that we frequent. Nice industrial setting and superb dining.

Really can't go wrong for adventure on the Green Line or the Blue Line for that matter.

gomango
08-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Just got back from the Wilco show here in St Louis. Great show, and they dug way back in the Tweedy archives. Highly recommend if anyone gets the chance.

I hope to check this thread out again in the next twelve months. My wife hits the job market next year, and Minneapolis tops our list of places to live.

Love to give you a tour.

We have four full seasons and I find it difficult to choose my favorite.

The Twin Cities are really growing and many segments of the economy are looking for employees.

Glad you liked the show. I never missed Uncle Tupelo bitd and I've been known to do some crazy drives to see Wilco/Tweedy solos. :)

oliver1850
08-18-2016, 11:29 PM
Nigel is currently most interested in...I kid you not...dance/electronic music. :help:

I remember looking through a Rose Records catalog and my dad making disparaging comments about a band that called themselves The Mothers of Invention, even without hearing them (not that he would have liked what he heard). I recall another dad that thought the Clash was the end of music, or something to that effect. It's odd but most of the next generation after me in our family likes the same sort of music as their parents. I'd have liked them to be a bit more adventurous.

Was there a band that played Mississippi Nights that was as important to the area/scene as Uncle Tupelo? It was probably more Jay's band than Jeff's but I'd still think that Nigel will appreciate having seen WILCO 10 or 20 years hence, when he has a bit of perspective on their influence and your involvement in the STL music scene.

buldogge
08-18-2016, 11:45 PM
You have a good memory.

He should definitely like whatever he likes...but...he should listen to it when I'm not in the car (damn Sirius XM)! :p

Uncle Tupelo was a major player/game changer for sure...most other bands from that era that got signed are long forgotten (Stir, Pale Divine, The Urge)...plus UT has direct links to other bands, of course.

Having said all that...I doubt we'll go...only here for a couple days.

Off to a slow start...tired family...walked by my lonesome to Stone Arch Bridge, and then walked some more and grabbed a pizza at Black Sheep in North Loop (mediocre).

Fresh start tomorrow...

-Mark

I remember looking through a Rose Records catalog and my dad making disparaging comments about a band that called themselves The Mothers of Invention, even without hearing them (not that he would have liked what he heard). I recall another dad that thought the Clash was the end of music, or something to that effect. It's odd but most of the next generation after me in our family likes the same sort of music as their parents. I'd have liked them to be a bit more adventurous.

Was there a band that played Mississippi Nights that was as important to the area/scene as Uncle Tupelo? It was probably more Jay's band than Jeff's but I'd still think that Nigel will appreciate having seen WILCO 10 or 20 years hence, when he has a bit of perspective on their influence and your involvement in the STL music scene.

oliver1850
08-19-2016, 12:05 AM
He should definitely like whatever he likes...but...he should listen to it when I'm not in the car (damn Sirius XM)! :p

-Mark

Earbuds and MP3 players exist.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

gomango
08-19-2016, 08:02 AM
Earbuds and MP3 players exist.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Ack, rainy day!!!

The Science Museum in DT St. Paul is very cool. If you are looking for dry, indoor activities it would be a fantastic choice.

Great views of the river and super easy to get to from the Green Line.

buldogge
08-19-2016, 08:19 AM
It doesn't matter...the chance of my family even getting out of this hotel room before 10am is slim to none! Grrrr... :crap:

ps...I hate rain. We'll find something to do...a little rain won't stop us from checking out the falls, or the neighborhoods. I doubt I'll go kayaking though.

Good day for some coffee.

TA
-Mark

Ack, rainy day!!!

The Science Museum in DT St. Paul is very cool. If you are looking for dry, indoor activities it would be a fantastic choice.

Great views of the river and super easy to get to from the Green Line.

gomango
08-19-2016, 08:41 AM
It doesn't matter...the chance of my family even getting out of this hotel room before 10am is slim to none! Grrrr... :crap:

ps...I hate rain. We'll find something to do...a little rain won't stop us from checking out the falls, or the neighborhoods. I doubt I'll go kayaking though.

Good day for some coffee.

TA
-Mark

Most of the afternoon should be ok for outdoor activities.

You'll have zero competition for stand ups and kayaks today. :)

The Falls should be fun anyway. Interesting area geographically and they have pretty decent sea food at Sea Salt. Fun, relaxing atmosphere.

Really wish I had a bit more time today or tomorrow to show you guys around a bit.

My wife and I are helping a friend with the harvest at his CSA and won't be back until the concert.

kingpin75s
08-19-2016, 09:37 AM
Lots of good advise already on places, coffee and such...

I will add that if you are downtown and want to grab some lunch, Brothers Deli is a great New York style deli with excellent pastrami!

I know you were looking to contrast Hmong against some Vietnamese but if you are in St. Paul and like Pho, the Rib Eye Pho at Ngon is not to be missed.

+1 on Glam Doll for my favorite donuts. The orange, cinnamon, ginger glaze is fantastic.

Lots of great coffee as mention but if you are at the falls, the Angry Catfish is near by and their cuppings of Intelligencia are very good. Dogwood, 5 Watt and others mentioned good as well.

Angry Catfish is cool but as was mentioned One on One Bike Studio is another great place to check out and id downtown if you are kicking around. This is my LBS and a special shop IMHO.

Lucia's is nice in Uptown as our areas original farm to table restaurant and I love the Cheeseburger at Lake and Irving. Beyond that Uptown is about the access to the lakes and trails unless you just want to people watch.

Have a great time in Minneapolis and make sure you hike down to the river if you go for the falls today.

buldogge
08-19-2016, 04:54 PM
Went to the Falls...walked a bit. Headed to Wild Rumpus for some reading material for the kid and then had lunch @ Tilia. Tasty, slightly overpriced...very slow...but we weren't in a hurry.

Went thru the Bakken for kicks...grabbed a bike share (wow...yuck) and now having an OK mocha @ Five Watt.

-Mark

buldogge
08-20-2016, 08:58 AM
Last night it started really raining...We probably should have jumped in the car, but we decided to just walk the 7-8 blocks to Lotus.

Unassuming Viet place, decent enough Pho...super friendly staff. We were soaked, and had to wait maybe 15 minutes...owner/manager comped us 2 appetizers and my sons boba...not really sure why...but it was very kind.

Looks like more rain today...Maybe hit The Walker, the ASI, and the Russian art museum...we'll see.

Gonna give Spyhouse a try...maybe Kopplin's later.

Probably cave and try some variation on a juicy Lucy today...maybe Casper's and Runyon's Nook?

-Mark

DAG
08-22-2016, 10:35 PM
Hope you enjoyed the nook. One of my favorite hole in the walls down there.

buldogge
08-23-2016, 12:04 AM
The Nook was good...reminded me of all the white trash dives I grew up going to in SE Mass...and I mean that in the most endearing way.

Last day went decent enough...despite the weather.

We has a nice brunch @ Blackbird (walked right in), then we checked out the American Swedish Institute (a lot of amazing casework/woodwork/carving in that mansion).

Thanks to Grady's suggestion, my wife grabbed a new rain shell for a great price @ Midwest Mountaineering and then we grabbed coffee at Spyhouse (best of the trip).

Really enjoyed the small collection @ The Museum of Russian Art in the afternoon!

Had an early dinner @ The Nook (Nookie/onion rings + some curds...burp) and then grabbed some caffeine for the road @ Kopplin's...

9 hours later (after some google maps closed-road/bridge-out goofiness on some 2-lane in rural MN) we were home in the STL and back to the grind.

Thanks,
-Mark

Hope you enjoyed the nook. One of my favorite hole in the walls down there.

jruhlen1980
08-25-2016, 12:41 PM
Pardon me for whining... Love the twin cities, but I never get to bike when I'm there. Visiting the in-laws this weekend and taking my 3 y/o niece to the State Fair. That part will probably be fun.

But no cycling. It's not feasible to bring my bike. My in-laws live about a mile from the NSC Velodrome in Blaine, but I won't be able to visit this time because we're only there for a day and the velodrome's open hours are right at the time we'll be busy. Too bad, I visited once and it was super fun. There's no velodrome anywhere near where I live.

I'd love to visit all the various bike things in MPLS, but since we only are able to get away for a weekend, and my family has no interest in these things, I'm never able to just ditch them and go off on my own.

Maybe we'll get home in time to squeeze in a ride Sunday afternoon. Plus next weekend is labor day so I should be able to do something epic.

Rant over. Just feeling restless since I haven't had time to ride since Gravel Worlds last weekend.

rando
08-25-2016, 01:13 PM
So rent a Nice Ride bike (https://www.niceridemn.org/) from one of the kiosks and go thrash yourself. I promise there are enough rough roads surrounding the fair grounds to put one through the paces on. You can also take a bus right from the velodrome in Blaine (http://www.mnstatefair.org/general_info/get_here/express_bus.html) to the fair grounds if that is all the closer your fix will get.