PDA

View Full Version : Floyd news!

CNY rider
07-09-2006, 06:40 PM
This is a total shock.

I've had patients get osteonecrosis of the hip, mainly as a result of therapy. Most of them can barely move until it gets fixed. Unbelievable he can ride the Tour.

No. 2 in Tour Confirms He Needs Hip Surgery
Print
Reprints
Save

By SAMUEL ABT
Published: July 9, 2006
CHÂTEAUBOURG, France, July 9 — Second over all in the Tour de France and a strong favorite to win the race when it ends July 23, Floyd Landis confirmed today a report that he had been riding in severe pain for four years because of a degenerative condition in his right hip, which he has kept secret. He said he was planning to have hip replacement surgery.

"If I hadn't had a bicycle-racing career, I would have had the hip replaced two years ago because I don't really want to deal with the pain," said Landis, the 30-year-old American leader of the Phonak team from Switzerland.

Describing the pain, he said in an interview at his team hotel in Châteaubourg before the Tour's eighth stage, "It's bad, it's grinding, it's bone rubbing on bone.

"Sometimes it's a sharp pain," he continued. "When I pedal and walk, it comes and goes, but mostly it's an ache, like an arthritis pain. It aches down my leg into my knee. The morning is the best time, it doesn't hurt too much, but when I walk it hurts, when I ride it hurts. Most of the time it doesn't keep me awake, but there are nights that it does."

He said he intended to compete after the operation.

Landis first spoke of his degenerative hip condition and intention to have surgery for an article that will appear in next Sunday's issue of The New York Times Magazine. The article is now online on The Times's Web site.

Landis also confirmed that two years ago he had an operation, which he concealed from team doctors, to alleviate the condition, which is called avascular necrosis or osteonecrosis. "One or the other, they're both the same," he said. The operation left his right leg an inch shorter than his left.

The condition, he explained, is caused when "scar tissue closes the blood vessels in the hip and the ball on the hip collapses" so that the bone does not swivel.

He developed the condition after a crash during a training ride near his home in Southern California in October 2002. Landis said he was going public now because "I'm going to have to tell it at some point and everybody's here" at the Tour de France "so they might as well hear it now."

Phonak team officials, who were told by Landis about his condition early this year, plan to show his X-rays and discuss the situation on Monday in Bordeaux, where the race will have a day off.

Landis's team totally supports him, General Manager John Lelangue said this morning.

"Floyd was honest enough to speak to me about this," he said. "It didn't change any of our plans. Since January, the objective was and remains the Tour de France. His condition was not a problem to our objective.

"We knew about the condition and that was important," Lelangue said. "I know we're talking about hip surgery, but if it's done well and planned for a good moment, I'm confident he will return to training normally and there won't be any problem next season."

Landis's contract with Phonak expires at the end of the year. The team will also change sponsors, with iShares, a financial services company, taking over. None of its officials were available for comment.

Discussing Landis's pain, Dr. Allen Lim, the rider's physiologist, said it was worse than Landis acknowledged.

"In the last Tour, he'd come out of the team bus and try to look good, but he'd tell me, 'I just want to vomit right now I'm in so much pain.' "

Landis added that he had taken a cortisone shot recently to alleviate the pain. "It doesn't work completely, but it makes it better," he said. The shot, ordinarily banned in the sport, has been permitted by racing authorities because of his condition.

"He's not the type to whine," said Dave Zabriskie, an American rider for the CSC team and Landis's roommate in Girona, Spain.

In an interview this morning, Zabriskie added: "This condition could be having a good affect on his career because he knows his time might be limited, so he's going for it. He's on a rampage."

Landis finished second in a long time trial Saturday and trails the race leader, Serhiy Honchar, by one minute. Today, he finished in the main pack on the stage to Lorient in Brittany. This season he has won the Tour of California, Paris-Nice and the Tour de Georgia, all multiday races.

The hip replacement surgery, he explained, might be done as early as this fall.

"I know that it's getting worse," he said. "It's a slow process. Cycling doesn't increase the speed of the process. But if it hurts too much, something needs to be replaced.

"It's unlikely that it will fail catastrophically because it's a slow process, but it's getting bad.

"I've got to do some research to find out what the odds are that surgery will work. Maybe I'll deal with it at the end of the year."

If he does have the operation soon, Dr. Lim said: "He will come back and be much, much stronger than he is now. People haven't seen more than 80 percent of Floyd."

Next Article in Sports (3 of 31) »

vaxn8r
07-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Bo Jackson.

Tom
07-10-2006, 05:22 AM
Cam Neely

Too Tall
07-10-2006, 06:59 AM
...One of the best masters racers in our region.

Very good outcome for this operation. He'll be better than new.

Fat Robert
07-10-2006, 07:05 AM
the timing of this is perfect.

you know, no matter how tough he is, it has to be on his mind and adding to the pressure of being the running favorite for the tour at the end of the first week. putting this in the open, talking about it on the rest day gets it out, eases the pressure in a way. also, it could get into some other guy's head -- "he's two minutes up on me, and he's got one hip" -- it turns a weakness into a strength. brilliant.

he is one tough sob to race as a pro for two years with this condition.

Jason E
07-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Just read this on cyclingnews and was about to post along the same lines as Doof, er, Rob, er... You know. Just less eloquently.

I wonder if he can get white bracelets that say "WalkSTRONG" and a special edition laptop to raise funds for Hip-Replacement reasearch?

atmo
07-10-2006, 07:43 AM
I wonder if he can get white bracelets that say "WalkSTRONG" and a special edition laptop to raise funds for Hip-Replacement reasearch?
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=229436&postcount=3

ald
07-10-2006, 08:04 AM
There is a more in depth article that will be published in the Sunday's NYT Magazine:
[URL=http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/09/sports/othersports/09landis-magazine.html?pagewanted=all]

I am seven weeks post hip replacement sugery, so this article really hit home. I'm hoping that Floyd's surgery goes as well as mine did. I'm back on my bike after 1 1/2 years off. His desriptions about walking, taking stairs, crossing his legs, etc, was true for me as well, but that is all now a thing of the past. My guess is he will come back even stronger than before.

Jason E
07-10-2006, 08:07 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=229436&postcount=3

Creepy.

sailorboy
07-10-2006, 08:40 AM
[QUOTE=CNY rider]This is a total shock.

Can I ask what you mean by "as a result of therapy"? You talking about drug therapy as in cortico-steroids? Because I hope you aren't talking about physical therapy or rehab. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a single case of this in the literature. It is either the result of the initial trauma i.e. fracture, or some other chronic disease process that impedes the blood flow to the femoral head, e.g. cortico-steroid use.

Fixed
07-10-2006, 08:46 AM
bro sad news for the floyd man
cheers

Jason E
07-10-2006, 08:49 AM
bro sad news for the floyd man
cheers

Silver Lining, Bro. He has more options and better options then anytime in history. He can be a role model for the AARP, to boot!

CNY rider
07-10-2006, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE=CNY rider]This is a total shock.

Can I ask what you mean by "as a result of therapy"? You talking about drug therapy as in cortico-steroids? Because I hope you aren't talking about physical therapy or rehab. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a single case of this in the literature. It is either the result of the initial trauma i.e. fracture, or some other chronic disease process that impedes the blood flow to the femoral head, e.g. cortico-steroid use.

Let me clear that up. I'm an oncologist; the cases I see are due to corticosteroids or radiation.

Ginger
07-10-2006, 08:51 AM
And America has a NEW Underdog!

To heck with Tyler and his broken collar bone, this guy is racing with NO HIP!

Wow.

And the media moves on. :)

Outside of that, considering my hip issues that were painful, and how much worse Floyd's condition is, I can't imagine the pain Floyd goes through every moment of his life.

atmo
07-10-2006, 08:53 AM
And America has a NEW Underdog!

To heck with Tyler and his broken collar bone, this guy is racing with NO HIP!

wrong atmo; pink is one hip guy.

Tom
07-10-2006, 09:00 AM
I have a bad hip from running but it isn't dying out from under me and it hurts like a mofo from time to time and I'm generally in a bad mood from it most of the time. Still, I can't relate to how much discomfort he must deal with all the time. All I can say is "Ow. Ow ow effing ow." These guys are on a whole nother plane. I'm glad I have a desk job and I don't ride my bike for a living or I wouldn't be able to buy food. Good thing he's a lunatic.

sailorboy
07-10-2006, 09:06 AM
[QUOTE=sailorboy]

Let me clear that up. I'm an oncologist; the cases I see are due to corticosteroids or radiation.
for the clarification. I had to step up and ask for all of the 'therapists' of the world! I figured you had to be talking about something else. And I imagine you do see your share of folks with an unfortunate side-effect like this. Tough problem to deal with.

As an aside, a teammate of mine slid out on a wet turn at the end of a 100-mile training ride a couple seasons ago, looked like a totally routine fall, even on the wet surface when you usually skid along instead of getting hurt too badly. Boom, surgical neck fracture. The orthopedst tried in vane to convince him to just do the total hip replacement right away rather than wait for the less than 10% chance that it would heal and not develop avascular necrosis. Pretty tough thing to sell to a 26 year-old who is healthy as a horse, climbs like a goat and loves riding. They ended up just placing a screw in it. I haven't been in touch since they pinned his hip to see how things turned out. Not that we need to dwell on it, but it is a very debilitating thing that could happen at any time to cyclists of any level.

Fat Robert
07-10-2006, 09:16 AM
a pal of mine broke his hip in the state road race in '97...it basically ruined his life. he had problems with the painkillers.... he eventually got his hip sorted out and got off the drugs, but that is an injury i wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

that floyd is training 30 hours a week on a degenerative hip and kicking butt in pro races is amazing.

Ginger
07-10-2006, 10:00 AM
wrong atmo; pink is one hip guy.

as opposed to the one nut guy?

atmo
07-10-2006, 10:08 AM
as opposed to the one nut guy?
gingerstrong atmo!

Too Tall
07-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Brazil? That's where the nuts come from. Yo.